Moving to Anchorage! - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > WF Local > WF Local Forums for Your Region and State > Alaska Jeep Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 11-09-2012, 02:03 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
zane8000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Anchorage, Alaska
Posts: 112
Moving to Anchorage!

Just got my official notification that i will be getting stationed at Elmendorf in anchorage next july. i was hoping that you local guys could give me a little knowledge on the local area like the best places to live , etc or what ever knowledge you are willing to part with.

zane8000 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-29-2012, 01:24 PM   #2
Newb
 
Whatroad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by zane8000
Just got my official notification that i will be getting stationed at Elmendorf in anchorage next july. i was hoping that you local guys could give me a little knowledge on the local area like the best places to live , etc or what ever knowledge you are willing to part with.
Living up here is a pretty cool experience. I've been up here for almost 2 years. It's in the negatives right now.. So I hope you can adapt to cold weather. Summers can't be beat. South Anchorage and eagle river are the nicest areas. I got lucky and found a house right off base. Army or Air Force?

Whatroad is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-06-2012, 06:29 AM   #3
Jeeper
 
zane8000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Anchorage, Alaska
Posts: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatroad View Post
Living up here is a pretty cool experience. I've been up here for almost 2 years. It's in the negatives right now.. So I hope you can adapt to cold weather. Summers can't be beat. South Anchorage and eagle river are the nicest areas. I got lucky and found a house right off base. Army or Air Force?
i'm in the airforce i'm pretty aclimated to the cold having living in germany for the past 4 years. this may sound weird but is there AC in alaska here in germany since they only have 3 weeks or so of actual over 85 degree weather they dont put AC in most houses. and i'm pumped to move up there it was my first choice
zane8000 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-06-2012, 04:26 PM   #4
Newb
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: wasilla, alaska
Posts: 3
well if you can get into some of the new housings your all good on base.but if i had to find a place to live it wold be eagle river or the mat-su. vally. but the drive from the vally can bite some times. nothing like the lower 48 but still bites. if you are a single guy. just find a place. cant go wrong. our ghetteo here is like midle class in most states. now if you are into off roading. you are coming to the right place. there is only two wasy out of ancherage. pick one and go have fun. Jims creak is a close spot. just about 45min. out of anch.. but if u live it the vally . just jump in and go for a drive. just dont act like a fool like some do. being able to wheel just about any place is smothing that makes alaska the best place to live. . i have lived up here for over 20 years
alaskansaintsfan is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-07-2012, 08:12 PM   #5
Newb
 
Whatroad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by zane8000

i'm in the airforce i'm pretty aclimated to the cold having living in germany for the past 4 years. this may sound weird but is there AC in alaska here in germany since they only have 3 weeks or so of actual over 85 degree weather they dont put AC in most houses. and i'm pumped to move up there it was my first choice
Our house doesn't have AC. You don't need it. It doesn't reach 80 really ever. Jim's Creek is where trucks and jeeps go to die. It's a good time though. I'm still not used to this cold though.
Whatroad is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-14-2013, 11:34 AM   #6
Jeeper
 
Jan in ID's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: north Idaho
Posts: 291
We are considering a move to AK. Around how much are rentals in the Anchorage area? We don't want to live in Anchorage, but within 20 miles.
__________________
'05 Rubicon Unlimited
Jan in ID is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-15-2013, 11:52 AM   #7
Jeeper
 
asianhulk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Alaska
Posts: 720
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan in ID View Post
We are considering a move to AK. Around how much are rentals in the Anchorage area? We don't want to live in Anchorage, but within 20 miles.
If you don't mind the commute, I suggest 40 miles out and try wasilla or palmer area. 20 miles your going to be paying Anchorage prices.

Pricing depends on you needs and location in anchorage.

To the OP, I thought the AF just built new housing, I don't know since I got out of active duty and never stationed in am. No Marine bases up here
__________________
2013 JKU 10A Anvil/Black
Ordered 02/25/13, Delivered 05/14/13
asianhulk is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-15-2013, 01:49 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
zane8000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Anchorage, Alaska
Posts: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by asianhulk View Post
If you don't mind the commute, I suggest 40 miles out and try wasilla or palmer area. 20 miles your going to be paying Anchorage prices.

Pricing depends on you needs and location in anchorage.

To the OP, I thought the AF just built new housing, I don't know since I got out of active duty and never stationed in am. No Marine bases up here
they do have new housing and it looks nice. but you cant keep your fire arms on base they need to be kept in the base armory or with a club off base and thats just added hassle every time i want to go hunt or shoot
zane8000 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-15-2013, 02:33 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
asianhulk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Alaska
Posts: 720
Quote:
Originally Posted by zane8000 View Post
they do have new housing and it looks nice. but you cant keep your fire arms on base they need to be kept in the base armory or with a club off base and thats just added hassle every time i want to go hunt or shoot
Yes that is the main kicker, just FYI eagle river is about as expensive as anchorage because it is tailored for military folks.

__________________
2013 JKU 10A Anvil/Black
Ordered 02/25/13, Delivered 05/14/13
asianhulk is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:04 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC