Best place to buy used jeeps? - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > WF Local > WF Local Forums for Your Region and State > Illinois Jeep Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 04-25-2010, 05:56 PM   #1
Newb
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1
Best place to buy used jeeps?

I'm new to the forum and I do not yet own a jeep but desperately want one. I'm lookin to get a wrangler with less than 100,000 miles for less than 7grand. Anyone know where my best bet to look is? I already tried craiglist, ebay and autotrader but none of them were much of a help.

tjfonta is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-25-2010, 06:22 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Lake in the Hills, IL
Posts: 615
cars.com carmax.com

ratuna is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-13-2010, 07:09 AM   #3
Jeeper
 
yburn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bethany IL
Posts: 203
I've got my last two from ebay !! Just keep looking tell ya find one close that ya like
__________________
o4 rubicon,5.5 rubicon long arm lift,full cage,4:88 gears,37"Irocks
yburn is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-13-2010, 07:21 AM   #4
Jeeper
 
AfterMath's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Western NY
Posts: 510
I got lucky and found mine (5 years ago) for 6k with only 54k on it. Look around at private sales, jeeps parked on lawns, etc.
__________________
1998 Sahara Edition - I6 - 4.0 - Automatic


AfterMath is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-08-2010, 08:57 PM   #5
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
BobKnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Havana, IL
Posts: 321
Send a message via MSN to BobKnake
Best place is private...
I bought mine off ebay from a guy in Rockford... He just open a store that sells nothing but jeeps.
I bought a 2002 Wrangler X for just under 7,000 and it had 71,000 miles on it...
while it sounds like a good deal.... it wasn't so good, but I still like my Jeep

I came out of Rockford and the check engine light came on... o2 sensor....
Noticed it was kind of wobbly in town, but smoothed out on the highway - ended up being a broken sway bar link.
Then I noticed the A/C fan would only run on low and high - resistor was bad.
Then the next day, I called a buddy of mine who is Manager at a tire shop and asked him to look over the rest of it...
One badly bent rim (spare) hidden behind the cover and a tire that wouldn't hold air for more than an hour.
before the day was up, the rear brakes were completely shot
and as I was talking to the MGR... one of his guys rolled up one of the tires and it had a huge gash on the back side...
It was cheaper to go down a size. the tires were oversized already... to by one (31 10.50 15) I could buy 2.5 of 235 75R15 (still larger than stock)... so, I bought 5 new tires and............. I ended up buying 1 rim to replace the spare and as they were balancing the last one, they could make it true... they even tried a different tire... No luck. So, then I needed another rim. Found two on ebay....

Lets just say... a 7000 jeep is one thing, but when you have to put in another grand.. it's another.

also, there were a couple of odds and ends broken in the interior...
underdash lights, door switches, a/c vent and one of the gaskets was missing for the soft top....

so, buyer beware and ask tons of questions...
go see it before you buy it....

GOOD LUCK
__________________
Bob Knake
1997 TJ (Betty Blue)
Havana, IL
BobKnake is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-01-2010, 09:38 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
Ir8divr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: rockford, IL
Posts: 51
I have the perfect place; its called the jeep store in rockford. They specialize in pre jk jeeps and price ranges from $3500 up to $12,000 on average. They're very customer service oriented and worth the trip to visit; i work near there and i could take pics of whats on the lot and send them to you.......their inventory is constantly changing as you could imagine
Ir8divr is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-01-2010, 09:44 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
bobjenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,646
the local stealership


































just kidding

always consider private best prices
bobjenkins is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-01-2010, 09:57 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
Ir8divr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: rockford, IL
Posts: 51
PS, i'm hoping that the place that bobknake is referring to and the one im referring to are two different places because if its one and the same i apologize. My experience with them was pleasent; i got to take a jeep home for the night to try out, i took to a garage to check out, with the exception of a few minor things, the 2001 sport at $8900 was a solid jeep. My wife said no because the 4.0 had 97,000 miles on it; just broke-in by jeep standards but my wife wasnt feeling it. So i bought my 08' with 40,000 miles instead. But regardless, just trying to help
Ir8divr is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-02-2010, 07:04 AM   #9
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
BobKnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Havana, IL
Posts: 321
Send a message via MSN to BobKnake
I'm guessing it is one in the same, but it sounds like you had a good dealing with them...
my issues was... they wanted to know the issues I'd had... so, I told them.
then I got absolutely no response...

I will admit, I did get a good deal on the Jeep I bought, but.... I still feel a bit shafted from them... I wish them luck (at the JEEP STORE), but my personal experience wasn't pleasant.

enjoy your 08....
maybe in a couple of years, I can get my wife a newer one and I can have the 02...



Quote:
Originally Posted by Ir8divr View Post
PS, i'm hoping that the place that bobknake is referring to and the one im referring to are two different places because if its one and the same i apologize. My experience with them was pleasent; i got to take a jeep home for the night to try out, i took to a garage to check out, with the exception of a few minor things, the 2001 sport at $8900 was a solid jeep. My wife said no because the 4.0 had 97,000 miles on it; just broke-in by jeep standards but my wife wasnt feeling it. So i bought my 08' with 40,000 miles instead. But regardless, just trying to help
__________________
Bob Knake
1997 TJ (Betty Blue)
Havana, IL
BobKnake is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-17-2010, 08:07 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 30
I just put a deposit down on my first Jeep, an '03 X with Jeff at the Jeep store in Rockford. He definitely knows his Jeeps, pricing is very reasonable, and I have my fingers crossed that it will go well.

I'll make sure to report back how it went.
dschur is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-17-2010, 11:03 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
Ir8divr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: rockford, IL
Posts: 51
Does the jeep store still have that lime green lifted rubi? Have'nt seen it the last few days; i drive past there to and from work everyday......... Which one you getting?
Ir8divr is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-17-2010, 11:05 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
Ir8divr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: rockford, IL
Posts: 51
What i meant to say was what color is it?
Ir8divr is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-18-2010, 05:33 AM   #13
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 30
I'm getting the black 2003 X.

The lifted green rubi hasn't been there when I was around.

I'll let ya know how it goes, vehicle is being inspected tomorrow. Might pick it up this weekend.
dschur is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-18-2010, 06:09 AM   #14
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
BobKnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Havana, IL
Posts: 321
Send a message via MSN to BobKnake
Quote:
Originally Posted by dschur View Post
I'm getting the black 2003 X.

The lifted green rubi hasn't been there when I was around.

I'll let ya know how it goes, vehicle is being inspected tomorrow. Might pick it up this weekend.
check it over with a fine tooth comb...
I agree he's was a nice guy... but I never got responses from him when I tried to contact him...
__________________
Bob Knake
1997 TJ (Betty Blue)
Havana, IL
BobKnake is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-18-2010, 07:52 AM   #15
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 30
where is it located in Rockford?
edved37 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-18-2010, 12:21 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
Ir8divr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: rockford, IL
Posts: 51
On the corner of north 2nd street (251) and harlem road; its a big building with an office furniture store and a goodwill in it. The jeep store is on the north side of the building.......... You cant miss it
Ir8divr is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-18-2010, 12:21 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
Ir8divr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: rockford, IL
Posts: 51
Technically its in loves park.......
Ir8divr is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-18-2010, 07:18 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKnake View Post
check it over with a fine tooth comb...
I agree he's was a nice guy... but I never got responses from him when I tried to contact him...
I am having it inspected by Alliance tomorrow morning, thanks for the advice. I always have used vehicles inspected. That said it is an 8 year old jeep, so I am realistic about expecting some maintenance/repair work.
dschur is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-18-2010, 07:19 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ir8divr View Post
Technically its in loves park.......
The address I had was Machesney Park
dschur is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-18-2010, 07:25 PM   #20
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,122
I watched Craigs List and found mine. Ya gotta kiss a lot of forgs to find the prince!
Gate53 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-18-2010, 08:29 PM   #21
Jeeper
 
Ir8divr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: rockford, IL
Posts: 51
Yes, you're right, machesney park; both towns, including rockford are butted up against each other. You would think i know better; i work in machesney park
Ir8divr is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-19-2010, 03:49 PM   #22
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by dschur View Post
I am having it inspected by Alliance tomorrow morning, thanks for the advice. I always have used vehicles inspected. That said it is an 8 year old jeep, so I am realistic about expecting some maintenance/repair work.
Just got the 11-page inspection report from AIM. All mechanicals are good (good brakes, strong clutch, engine).

Quite a few small chips in the paint (they really looked close), small dent on the cowl by the antenna. Nothing unusual for a car with 100K plus on it.

Biggest concern is the hood, it has been repainted an the paint is cracking. According to the carfax this had 70,000 miles put on in the last 2 years. I am thinking someone had a brutal commute, added a lot of road rash and painted the hood to dress it up to sell.

Overall I'm good with the inspection and will pick it up at the jeep store tomorrow. I ain't picky and I'm realistic about an 8 year 'ole jeep, especially at a good price.

Biggest issue will be I need to replace all fluids not knowing their upkeep so I'm at a known starting point. at over 100K its prob due for it anyways.
dschur is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-26-2010, 11:03 AM   #23
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 30
So far so good on the 2003 black X I picked up from the Jeep Store in Rockford. I tore the seats, consoles, carpet and dashboard out and powerwashed/simple greened everything, it was rather dirty inside and had a lot of sand in the floorboards. There was also a musty smell, possibly was smoked in, but that's gone now. Also powerwashed the engine bay and things look generally good. This weekend I seafoam top to bottom, all fluids replaced, new plugs, serp belt, diffs and transfer case serviced (local lube shop stoners want $600 and use garbage, I got all quality supplies for under 200)

The only problems I found was the center speaker was badly blown ($20) and the heater blower resistor was bad ($20).

All in all, so far I am happy with the deal. A 2003 X, manual, 106K miles with a 1 year old soft top for just a hair over $8K. It was a far more solid deal than the local stealerships, and a lot of the 6-8K jeeps I saw on craigslist were complete beaters.

I'd recommend anyone look at Jeff's jeeps in rockford when looking. Just be prepared that communications wise he isn't the best. You send him an email with 5 questions, he might respond, and then he answers one in my experience.

One small downside is as a dealer, he has to collect the 6.5% sales tax. Private party is flat rate and more like 100 bux, so factor that in also.
dschur is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-27-2010, 02:33 PM   #24
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
BobKnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Havana, IL
Posts: 321
Send a message via MSN to BobKnake
Quote:
Originally Posted by dschur View Post
So far so good on the 2003 black X I picked up from the Jeep Store in Rockford. I tore the seats, consoles, carpet and dashboard out and powerwashed/simple greened everything, it was rather dirty inside and had a lot of sand in the floorboards. There was also a musty smell, possibly was smoked in, but that's gone now. Also powerwashed the engine bay and things look generally good. This weekend I seafoam top to bottom, all fluids replaced, new plugs, serp belt, diffs and transfer case serviced (local lube shop stoners want $600 and use garbage, I got all quality supplies for under 200)

The only problems I found was the center speaker was badly blown ($20) and the heater blower resistor was bad ($20).

All in all, so far I am happy with the deal. A 2003 X, manual, 106K miles with a 1 year old soft top for just a hair over $8K. It was a far more solid deal than the local stealerships, and a lot of the 6-8K jeeps I saw on craigslist were complete beaters.

I'd recommend anyone look at Jeff's jeeps in rockford when looking. Just be prepared that communications wise he isn't the best. You send him an email with 5 questions, he might respond, and then he answers one in my experience.

One small downside is as a dealer, he has to collect the 6.5% sales tax. Private party is flat rate and more like 100 bux, so factor that in also.
Glade to hear you have had a better experience with the JEEP STORE than I did... Understand about the emailing of questions & lack of answers... he did that with me too...
Of course the questions that I didn't get the answers on... were basically the issues I had problems with.
OH WELL.

Enjoy your JEEP.
__________________
Bob Knake
1997 TJ (Betty Blue)
Havana, IL
BobKnake is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-28-2010, 09:06 PM   #25
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 30
Going on a month now and the '03 sport I picked up has not fallen to pieces or had any real issues. None more that I can think of at all.

In hindsight I'd say so far I got a fair and honest price on a used jeep from the Jeep store in rockford. Give Jeff a call and let him know what you're looking for if your in the market, in my book - cant hurt.
dschur is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-28-2010, 09:23 PM   #26
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
BobKnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Havana, IL
Posts: 321
Send a message via MSN to BobKnake
Quote:
Originally Posted by dschur View Post
Going on a month now and the '03 sport I picked up has not fallen to pieces or had any real issues. None more that I can think of at all.

In hindsight I'd say so far I got a fair and honest price on a used jeep from the Jeep store in rockford. Give Jeff a call and let him know what you're looking for if your in the market, in my book - cant hurt.
Glad to hear it...
__________________
Bob Knake
1997 TJ (Betty Blue)
Havana, IL
BobKnake is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-11-2010, 06:38 PM   #27
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKnake View Post
Glad to hear it...

As am I - after 3 months, I am very happy with the Jeep I picked up. I'm sorry to hear about others experience, but for me, this has been a great experience picking up a very solid jeep. To date, I have replaced a blown heater resistor (apparently rather common - cost me $15), the battery (never died on me but it was an 8 year old OEM and in this cold weather I could tell it was time, replaced it with an optima yellow which i've always had good luck with), and the mentioned blown speaker.

I'm willing to say it this point if anything goes wrong, they didn't know about it when they sold it to me.

If you ask me, best place for a used jeep in Illinois = Jeff at Jeep store in Rockford.

YMMV
dschur is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-21-2010, 03:47 PM   #28
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 386
thanks for keeping the updates here. I just get a really odd feeling when I see some of the posts he has.

They are considerably lower than everywhere else that something is not right there... for instance.... a 2004 Sahara w 60 on it for $10,700... its like.. Uhhmmm....wtf?
Phrankoff is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-21-2010, 04:56 PM   #29
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
Mortalis5509's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Winder, GA
Posts: 1,728
Send a message via AIM to Mortalis5509
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ir8divr View Post
Does the jeep store still have that lime green lifted rubi? Have'nt seen it the last few days; i drive past there to and from work everyday......... Which one you getting?
electric lime green? That's what I have.
__________________
Go DAWGS!!

YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
Mortalis5509 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-14-2011, 01:12 AM   #30
Jeeper
 
rpblanchette87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Kankakee, IL
Posts: 39
Just stopped by the Jeep store earlier today and put some cash down on a Blue 01 4.0 with 109k. seems like a nice little truck. looked it over myself with a fine tooth comb and only came up with a few little things that a jeep with that mileage would obviously need. starts right up, engine purrs like a kitten, shifts well. very little surface rust on the frame. for 6300 i am definitely happy. One thing i noticed is that i jumped on I90 to test it out at high speed and it seemed to wobble quite a bit between 60-75. I'm new to the jeep thing, but i dont think this is quite the infamous death wobble. frame looks ok and everything else. any ideas on what could cause it? tires needing balanced?

So far, I like jeff and the jeep store. best deals i've seen in the illinois area.

dschur - yours still running ok?

rpblanchette87 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Tags
buy purchase sell

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Jeep Jokes jeeptales Off-Topic 39 07-24-2013 01:14 AM
You know you're driving a YJ when: Incursorio Off-Topic 11 10-13-2011 05:37 PM
jeep vs girls mr4x4 Off-Topic 15 08-22-2011 02:00 PM



» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:57 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC