Here's what I sent the other newbie earlier today:
1) Read this, twice. It's like 45 pages or so with tons of pictures. But it is an ESSENTIAL starting point
2) Realize this an adventure and expect some fear, bumps, bruises, scratches and dents while having a GREAT TIME!
3) Have tow hooks (or equivalent) front and rear and make sure they are solid
4) Buy a tow strap or 2! 2 door Jeeps weigh 4,000 # and if you're stuck you'll need more than that. Buy loops NOT METAL HOOKS: HIGHLAND Heavy Duty Tow Strap with Loops, 2 In. x 20 Ft., 5,667 Lb. Load Capacity | Product Details | Pep Boys
5) CB radio. A near necessity. Gotta be able to communicate on the trails
6) Bring: tools, first aid kit, shovel, duct tape, extra car fluids, sun screen, insect repellent
7) Also: plenty of water, Gatorade and food! Double than what you think you'll consume.
8) Other things that I travel with that I feel are important but not essential:
Fire Extinguisher, tarp, emergency tent, wood to use with jack if needed, hiking stick
Remember, it's safety in numbers, not reliance on others!