jeeps with 3 inch body lift - Page 4 - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > General Discussion Forums > Pictures Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 01-20-2012, 10:12 PM   #91
Jeeper
 
Moabrubi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Posts: 1,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameslee97206 View Post
What happened to this jeep? That 1.25 Bl looks bad, accident?
Yup.It's not mine but he said he hit the barrier dividing the freeway. Not sure of the speed but i would guess 65?

Moabrubi is online now   Quick Reply
Old 01-20-2012, 10:18 PM   #92
Jeeper
 
jameslee97206's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 777
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moabrubi View Post
Yup.It's not mine but he said he hit the barrier dividing the freeway. Not sure of the speed but i would guess 65?
Imagine if that was a 3 inch BL

jameslee97206 is offline   Quick Reply
Old 01-20-2012, 10:20 PM   #93
Jeeper
 
05wrangler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: indy
Posts: 1,122
Images: 1


the PO put my 3 inch BL on my jeep
__________________
"do it once and do it right"
05wrangler is offline   Quick Reply
Old 01-20-2012, 10:32 PM   #94
Jeeper
 
Moabrubi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Posts: 1,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameslee97206 View Post
Imagine if that was a 3 inch BL
Just found this on another forum. It apparently rolled off a trail in Colorado. Don't know if it had a BL or not but it shows how a tub can separate from the frame.
Moabrubi is online now   Quick Reply
Old 01-20-2012, 10:39 PM   #95
Jeeper
 
00tj2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 1,216
That's the first time anyone has ever posted a picture of an accident with a body lift and there still wasn't a failure. Everyone is yelling at people with body lifts and coming up with some magic number of no more than 1 1/2" but how are you coming to that number? Are to all math professionals and know the weight of the tube, plus the strength of the mounts on the frame and the mounts on the body and you have predetermined the exact speed the jeep was going and what object it hit? Oh, but wait...that's right... It's fact that it will fail!! instead of yelling at the OP show some pictures of jeep that have had their bodies torn away from their frame in an accident. That might get your point across that body lifts aren't a good idea. But none of you will, because there aren't any pictures. Ill finish with a fact of my own. I bet you more jeeps with lifts have flipped over than stock jeeps. So maybe everyone with a lift should take them off because you are putting yourself and others in danger. And that my friend is a fact. ( btw, it really isn't a fact)
__________________
I know a lot of things, most of them are only correct in my own head...

Better to be judged by twelve then carried by six. I'm sure this is going to get me in trouble down the line
00tj2 is offline   Quick Reply
Old 01-20-2012, 10:46 PM   #96
Jeeper
 
05wrangler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: indy
Posts: 1,122
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00tj2 View Post
That's the first time anyone has ever posted a picture of an accident with a body lift and there still wasn't a failure. Everyone is yelling at people with body lifts and coming up with some magic number of no more than 1 1/2" but how are you coming to that number? Are to all math professionals and know the weight of the tube, plus the strength of the mounts on the frame and the mounts on the body and you have predetermined the exact speed the jeep was going and what object it hit? Oh, but wait...that's right... It's fact that it will fail!! instead of yelling at the OP show some pictures of jeep that have had their bodies torn away from their frame in an accident. That might get your point across that body lifts aren't a good idea. But none of you will, because there aren't any pictures. Ill finish with a fact of my own. I bet you more jeeps with lifts have flipped over than stock jeeps. So maybe everyone with a lift should take them off because you are putting yourself and others in danger. And that my friend is a fact. ( btw, it really isn't a fact)

this thread needs a "like" button like on facebook......
__________________
"do it once and do it right"
05wrangler is offline   Quick Reply
Old 01-20-2012, 11:03 PM   #97
Jeeper
 
TJspeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 3,431
The way I see it, its like putting the body on stilts... In my mind thats not a good thing...
__________________
2000 solar yellow 4.0 sport 3" BDS, 1.25" JKS body lift, 1" Zone motor lift, JKS quicker disconnects, 33x10.5 BFG KM2 on black american racing wheels. D44 rear.

TJspeed is offline   Quick Reply
Old 01-20-2012, 11:04 PM   #98
Jeeper
 
darkproximity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Not Spokane, WA
Posts: 12,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00tj2
That's the first time anyone has ever posted a picture of an accident with a body lift and there still wasn't a failure. Everyone is yelling at people with body lifts and coming up with some magic number of no more than 1 1/2" but how are you coming to that number? Are to all math professionals and know the weight of the tube, plus the strength of the mounts on the frame and the mounts on the body and you have predetermined the exact speed the jeep was going and what object it hit? Oh, but wait...that's right... It's fact that it will fail!! instead of yelling at the OP show some pictures of jeep that have had their bodies torn away from their frame in an accident. That might get your point across that body lifts aren't a good idea. But none of you will, because there aren't any pictures. Ill finish with a fact of my own. I bet you more jeeps with lifts have flipped over than stock jeeps. So maybe everyone with a lift should take them off because you are putting yourself and others in danger. And that my friend is a fact. ( btw, it really isn't a fact)
Any lift will make it more dangerous but a body lift will be even more dangerous.. think of how leverage works.. a teeter totter is a perfect example.. now move the fulcrum to an extreme end of the teeter totter and add 30mph to the equation..
__________________
Apache chief, e ne chuk!
darkproximity is offline   Quick Reply
Old 01-20-2012, 11:04 PM   #99
Jeeper
 
Moabrubi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Posts: 1,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00tj2 View Post
That's the first time anyone has ever posted a picture of an accident with a body lift and there still wasn't a failure. Everyone is yelling at people with body lifts and coming up with some magic number of no more than 1 1/2" but how are you coming to that number? Are to all math professionals and know the weight of the tube, plus the strength of the mounts on the frame and the mounts on the body and you have predetermined the exact speed the jeep was going and what object it hit? Oh, but wait...that's right... It's fact that it will fail!! instead of yelling at the OP show some pictures of jeep that have had their bodies torn away from their frame in an accident. That might get your point across that body lifts aren't a good idea. But none of you will, because there aren't any pictures. Ill finish with a fact of my own. I bet you more jeeps with lifts have flipped over than stock jeeps. So maybe everyone with a lift should take them off because you are putting yourself and others in danger. And that my friend is a fact. ( btw, it really isn't a fact)
How is that not a failure? clearly the body mount is not straight. Im not saying that wouldn't have happened without the BL, but we can't say that it didn't make it worse. Any body lift is more stress on the mounts and more leverage to do things like seen in the picture. Oh and you want to know how i know the speed and the object it hit? I looked at the thread and the guy said it.

And to the "dangerous lift" comment, im not even going to say anything. I will just leave that at that .
Moabrubi is online now   Quick Reply
Old 01-20-2012, 11:06 PM   #100
Jeeper
 
darkproximity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Not Spokane, WA
Posts: 12,000
Quit trying to defend a sh**ty decision based on monetary reasons and start thinking of the world as a real place
__________________
Apache chief, e ne chuk!
darkproximity is offline   Quick Reply
Old 01-20-2012, 11:09 PM   #101
Jeeper
 
Moabrubi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Posts: 1,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkproximity View Post
Quit trying to defend a sh**ty decision based on monetary reasons and start thinking of the world as a real place
Not sure who that was directed to?
Moabrubi is online now   Quick Reply
Old 01-20-2012, 11:11 PM   #102
Jeeper
 
darkproximity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Not Spokane, WA
Posts: 12,000
Not you
__________________
Apache chief, e ne chuk!
darkproximity is offline   Quick Reply
Old 01-20-2012, 11:14 PM   #103
Jeeper
 
Moabrubi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Posts: 1,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkproximity View Post
Not you
Yeah i was confused at first but then i got it. You made a good point though.
Moabrubi is online now   Quick Reply
Old 01-20-2012, 11:34 PM   #104
Custom JEEP Decals
 
TJe0454's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: MD
Posts: 1,477
__________________
I brake for humans.
Maryland Flag JEEP Stickers!!

My 3/4 link build
TJe0454 is offline   Quick Reply
Old 01-20-2012, 11:38 PM   #105
Jeeper
 
XJ Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Walking The Plank
Posts: 16,640
__________________
-XJ- 2001 Jeep XJ Cherokee - Gone
1999 Jeep XJ Cherokee - Party Hard


-InfernoGirl- "They are the most fun you can have with your pants on..."

"Selfless over Selfish" RIP Brian "96_XJ" Perrine
XJ Knight is offline   Quick Reply
Old 01-20-2012, 11:55 PM   #106
Jeeper
 
00tj2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 1,216
To moabrubi. The reason I said that wasn't a failure is because the tub was still attached to the frame. Everyone on here keeps saying how the tub is going to go flying off. Have you ever seen a wrecked wrangler without a body lift. If you have try to remember the body mounts because if it was bad enough there was probably some distortion around the tub or on the body mount tabs. I've seen a few at the local wrecking yards. Also, the picture you posted of the white jeep wasn't up when I wrote my reply? Looks pretty bad but you yourself said you don't know if it had a body lift or not. So if it was stock would you be preaching that jeeps should only be made with unibodies so the frame and body don't detach?? , I must of missed the speed of the vehicle. And to your comment " I'm not saying that wouldnt of happened without the BL, but we can't say it didn't make it worse." So your telling me that you don't really no one way or the other and your just stating your opinion on this matter and no facts. The funny thing is I would never put a 3" body lift on my jeep because I don't need one.

Tjspeed. I'm not trying to say your opinion isn't valid but like you said, "in my mind". Again, no facts, just opinion. My post had to do with all the bashing and no one providing one bit of prof, or facts, just opinions. And opinions are good, they just aren't always right. I'd be the first one to admit that not all of mine are always good.

Darkproximity. I understand you analogy and I agree that the forces will be greater the greater distance. My point was that not once has someone showed fact to back up their statements. Who knows, there could be a hundred studies on this from the NHTSA and we just don't know where they are posted. As for me defending sh??y decision. What, the decision of the OP for buying a jeep with a body lift?
__________________
I know a lot of things, most of them are only correct in my own head...

Better to be judged by twelve then carried by six. I'm sure this is going to get me in trouble down the line
00tj2 is offline   Quick Reply
Old 01-21-2012, 12:14 AM   #107
Jeeper
 
00tj2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 1,216
To moabrubi. I just saw your post about the speed of the jeep... My iPad or the site must of been slow updating. That is the best evidence to date that I have seen including the wrecked jeeps that I have seen in person. Although I would think the frame would be a little more mangled at that speed.. Was it head on or side? Was the driver ok? I do understand that everyone's Main concer is safety, and that is always mine too...In the words of the great Ron burgundy "I guess we'll have to agree to disagree"
__________________
I know a lot of things, most of them are only correct in my own head...

Better to be judged by twelve then carried by six. I'm sure this is going to get me in trouble down the line
00tj2 is offline   Quick Reply
Old 01-21-2012, 05:39 AM   #108
Jeeper
 
DeFazio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 246
00tj2, no kidding that more lifted jeeps than stock flip because lifted jeeps get wheeled, most of the time wheeled hard. thats the point. the point of getting something "safer" isn't for going to the store to get bread, it's for when things happen to a car that don't always happen to it like an accident or a roll or hard hits on the trail. no one is bashing anyone, this is everyone's opinion (some of which are proven facts) and the reason why it's ok and even good that people are giving their opinions is because THIS IS A FORUM. that is the motive behind creating a forum: a place where people have something in common and can discuss what this common factor is and share ideas experiences and opinions. how would you like it is if you searches WF for jks disconnects and only found install threads and it turns out that these disconnects are crap but no one said anything because they didn't want to "bash" anyone. no you have crappy disconnects and found out the hard way (I have jks disconnects and they are great by the way, just needed an example). this isn't a competition of proving anyone wrong so there's no need for you to dispute everyone's post but by all means, be my guest
DeFazio is offline   Quick Reply
Old 01-21-2012, 05:42 AM   #109
Jeeper
 
DeFazio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 246
yes, stock jeeps can (almost) roll almost just as easily
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1110615888.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	91400   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-890146630.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	91401  

DeFazio is offline   Quick Reply
Old 01-21-2012, 06:23 AM   #110
Jeeper
 
darkproximity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Not Spokane, WA
Posts: 12,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00tj2 View Post
Darkproximity. I understand you analogy and I agree that the forces will be greater the greater distance. My point was that not once has someone showed fact to back up their statements. Who knows, there could be a hundred studies on this from the NHTSA and we just don't know where they are posted. As for me defending sh??y decision. What, the decision of the OP for buying a jeep with a body lift?
Based on the nature of the OPs post, its highly doubtful that the OP bought the jeep with a body lift installed, it would seem to me based on the fact that the OP posted specifically about having a 3" body lift that he in fact installed/had it installed.. whatever the case may be.. i dont see any reason to buy a body lift. Body spacers aren't the only thing one has to contend with when lifting the body either, but you can google what else is involved. And yes, you are defending a crap decision to buy and install a body lift, we live in the real world and there are real consequences of driving an unsafe vehicle.. I'm not saying its going to happen tomorrow, or a year from now, but you are advocating unnecessarily increasing the risk of personal injury to someone who is already disabled, other people who may read this thread in the future, and others who might be nearby when things decide to go south.

What arguments are you, or anyone else presenting in favor of doing a body lift besides its "cheaper/easier" to do? Even someone on a fixed income who can save up to buy a body lift, can continue saving up longer to buy a suspension lift, even if its a "budget boost" by adding coil spacers..

Does how badass your jeep looks outweigh personal and public safety? apparently so..
__________________
Apache chief, e ne chuk!
darkproximity is offline   Quick Reply
Old 01-21-2012, 12:09 PM   #111
Jeeper
 
00tj2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 1,216
Ok...well since it looks like there are more against body
It's than for here I'm going to conceded and just try to clarify my post one more time and give a little info on what I have. I never said I'm for 3" body lifts. The point of my post was that there is no evidence that a 3" body lift is unsafe even though everyone is saying so.. With that, I understand the reason everyone is giving advise to not install body lifts over 1 to 1 1/2". They are concerned with the safety of their fellow jeepers. To that I applaude everyone on here. Safety is my number one concern with everything I do ( the nature of my job) and I'm glad that everyone on here is also concerned with safety.

And to Defazio... I'm not trying to dispute everyone's post, at least no more than those are disputing the ones that put on the 3" body lift. But I understand your post and hopefully we can wheel one day in RC when I come down with some of my fellow Hudson valley jeepers.

Have fun playing in the snow..
__________________
I know a lot of things, most of them are only correct in my own head...

Better to be judged by twelve then carried by six. I'm sure this is going to get me in trouble down the line
00tj2 is offline   Quick Reply
Old 01-21-2012, 12:31 PM   #112
Jeeper
 
00tj2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 1,216
Damn iPad... That first line is all screwed up. It should of said...More against body lifts than for body lifts.
__________________
I know a lot of things, most of them are only correct in my own head...

Better to be judged by twelve then carried by six. I'm sure this is going to get me in trouble down the line
00tj2 is offline   Quick Reply
Old 01-21-2012, 03:17 PM   #113
Jeeper
 
oldman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: locust grove georgia
Posts: 362
Images: 3
wheeled my jeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeFazio View Post
if I had a 3 inch body lift and wheeled it half as hard as I do and used it as my DD half as much as I do I assure you I wouldn't last one year. that's what I have what I have. maybe yours will last because it doesn't seen mud that often and doesn't get a lot of miles put on. either way it doesn't effect me
i wheeled my jeep for 3 years with the lift on it and had no problems. here is a pic of it being wheeled.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	004.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	232.0 KB
ID:	91522   Click image for larger version

Name:	005.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	233.5 KB
ID:	91523  

Attached Images
   
oldman is offline   Quick Reply
Old 01-21-2012, 03:39 PM   #114
Jeeper
 
oldman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: locust grove georgia
Posts: 362
Images: 3
funny one lift is safe but another is not. what ever people do to modify there vehicle deams it to possable failier. no matter the modification. big suspention lift or body lift. even a stock auto can be a potential hazard i.e. fail at some point and time. have read alot of post on here but it is all oppenion and nothing has been shown to cause failier in a 3 inch bl. people can say something is unsafe but strange every pic that has been put up does not show failier of the body lift. unsafe wow. its unsafe to break down in the hammer lane on the interstate. so many unsafe talk. why cant someone show the actual proof. just because the body lift is through the body does not meen the lift failed. the rust could and probably was the failier. when medal rust it weakens.
oldman is offline   Quick Reply
Old 01-21-2012, 03:43 PM   #115
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by summertime
i can't figure out if your just crying out for the attention or if your just a retard.
Really ? U going there?Your the reason for the comment. Kiss it man. This is the most stubborn group of jeep owners I've ever come across. And I've been jeepin for a while and have owned 4. And both wranglers have had BL . And now you're pulling out the retard term. Screw you !
Tjkris is offline   Quick Reply
Old 01-21-2012, 03:48 PM   #116
Jeeper
 
DeFazio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman
funny one lift is safe but another is not. what ever people do to modify there vehicle deams it to possable failier. no matter the modification. big suspention lift or body lift. even a stock auto can be a potential hazard i.e. fail at some point and time. have read alot of post on here but it is all oppenion and nothing has been shown to cause failier in a 3 inch bl. people can say something is unsafe but strange every pic that has been put up does not show failier of the body lift. unsafe wow. its unsafe to break down in the hammer lane on the interstate. so many unsafe talk. why cant someone show the actual proof. just because the body lift is through the body does not meen the lift failed. the rust could and probably was the failier. when medal rust it weakens.
alright now you're just being stubborn. I don't remember who posted it but someone actually posted why a 3 inch body lift is unsafe. part of the reason you are being this stubborn is because you're defending what your jeep has which is completely understandable but don't bring others opinions and experiences down because of it
DeFazio is offline   Quick Reply
Old 01-21-2012, 04:24 PM   #117
Jeeper
 
oldman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: locust grove georgia
Posts: 362
Images: 3
lift

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeFazio View Post
alright now you're just being stubborn. I don't remember who posted it but someone actually posted why a 3 inch body lift is unsafe. part of the reason you are being this stubborn is because you're defending what your jeep has which is completely understandable but don't bring others opinions and experiences down because of it
i have heard a lot of its not safe but no one has not braught forth any real proof. there are 2 pics of jeeps on here. one with the body and frame seperated from one another and the other is of the bl through the cab of the jeep wich shows signs of rust witch in my oppenion the body its salf weakened due to the rust not the lift failier. and one other pic with a smaller lift that shifted on the frame. no real proof other than people sayin its unsafe.
oldman is offline   Quick Reply
Old 01-21-2012, 10:00 PM   #118
Custom JEEP Decals
 
TJe0454's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: MD
Posts: 1,477
this thread needs to be killed off. sounds a lot like a JK vs. TJ thread.
__________________
I brake for humans.
Maryland Flag JEEP Stickers!!

My 3/4 link build
TJe0454 is offline   Quick Reply
Old 01-21-2012, 10:07 PM   #119
Jeeper
 
jameslee97206's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 777
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tje0454 View Post
this thread needs to be killed off. Sounds a lot like a jk vs. Tj thread.
x2
jameslee97206 is offline   Quick Reply
Old 01-21-2012, 10:17 PM   #120
In a trailer in the woods

WF Supporting Member
 
Barrie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Greater downtown Brownsville,Kentucky
Posts: 39,944
Send a message via AIM to Barrie Send a message via Yahoo to Barrie
Pissing contest over, infractions to be issued. Thread closed.

__________________
2006 Unlimited Soft Top


Skillfully disguised as a responsible adult


Barrie is online now   Quick Reply
Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
3 inch body lift discountjarod TJ General Discussion Forum 6 02-08-2011 12:18 PM
Body Lift question KillerSloth TJ General Discussion Forum 1 10-06-2010 05:11 PM
2-3 inch budget lift options for a daily driver sublimemaze TJ General Discussion Forum 6 09-02-2009 10:00 PM
1 inch body lift - Why engine mount lift also? dm567@pacbell.net TJ General Discussion Forum 6 08-31-2009 10:44 PM
1 inch body lift tbone TJ General Discussion Forum 6 03-08-2009 10:09 PM


logo carid shop wrangler parts carid fender flares custom wheels store avs deflectors at carid
» Rates
Get low rates on auto insurance in Canada!

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:11 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC