I want bumpers but I'm in no rush to spend the coin on some. Had the day off today decided to give it a go. I had everything laying around in the garage worst case I'd throw it in the scrap pile. I didn't have the preferred steel to start with but I made it work, had planned on getting some today but they were closed for the holiday.
I didn't take any pictures of the first parts of it, but here is about mid way. Started with 2"x5" 1/4 wall, cut it into an L shape for the top and front then plated the rest with 3/16" plate. Also decided to add a steering gear skid while I was at it.
I'm going to my friends tomorrow to use his bender and add a simple front hoop and some braces. Also I think Im going to order some shackle tabs to add. Overall I think it came out pretty well for about 5 hours of work. The bottom plate warped a little bit while I was welding it all up but its hardly noticeable. It should get the job done and will serve as a sturdy winch mount if I ever pick one up.
If I decide to stay with this design I'll probably use the same shape for the rear bumper/carrier. I know one thing for sure, if I do make another I'm going to have patience and wait to use my friends plasma table. I hate cutting plate with an angle grinder. Started with the torch then ran out of o2. Grinding those cuts sucks too tho.
Got it all finished up. Shackle tabs, and a couple tubes. I think it turned out really nice. Not bad for $0 out of pocket. I had all the material laying around though. Now I just need to find a winch and a couple lights for it. The rear will be designed after this one. Ill probably start it in the next week or so.
Great job! Saved yourself a bunch of money and more importantly you used the skills that you certainly have. I'm sure that you feel a sense of accomplishment. A lot of people just don't understand that.
Thanks! I love building stuff like this, looking at tons of pictures of other examples and being able to take whatever parts of each you like and use them in your own design. I wish I still had my bender that I had to sell a while back. It's nice to set out making something and have every tool you need right there.
Another bender and a plasma cutter are high on the wish list.
Thanks dudes!! Started on the rear last weekend. Should get finished tomorrow or Sunday.
Cut up the factory receiver hitch it'll be recessed in with the chain plate also.
The hinge is the 1 3/4 one from comp4x4 and I'm using a destaco 344r latch which should hold the thing pretty snug and has a safety latch witch gives me piece of mind.
made progress on it today, ran out of welding stuff so I'll have to get back at it soon. Its almost done, just a couple more do dads. mounts, gussets, cb antenna mount, hi lift mount, golite mount, finish welding, and paint.
I will be glad to get this one done, its been a pain. I hate cutting with the angle grinder.
I finished it up last night and mounted it this morning. A couple small things left to do but I have to order some parts. A latch to keep it locked in the open position, and a longer cb antenna cable. Also have to run wires for the golight. Other than that its done. Turned out really nice and very solid.
I love the de-sta-co latch. It is perfect for this application and holds the carrier very tightly. No movement at all plus it has the extra safety so its really locked in there.
I made some frame mounts like the ones comp4x4 sells and they really fit nice. It turns out my bolt bin is getting pretty scarce so I'm going to have to buy a couple to put in the extra holes. In all it has 8 1/2" bolts through the rear xmember, 2 going up into the frame from the bottom and 4 that go through the sides of the frame. I don't want it coming off.
Winch plate finally came in, I wish I would've spend $10 more and bought one that had holes that would line up. This one is less than ideal but I made it work. Its welded to the bumper instead of bolted on top of it. The winch bolts go through the bumper and the winch mount so I think its good to go. I may add some lights or a short light bar too but we will see.
Went to Morris Mountain last weekend and the jeep did great. It did everything I wanted it to. Got stuck in the mud once and was pulled out using the front bumper. There will be many more projects to come.