Cummins 4BT Swap into TJ - Page 2 - Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > General Jeep Discussions > Builders Corner

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 09-30-2010, 12:01 AM   #31
Moderator

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
Coyote_94YJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Germany
Posts: 20,890
Send a message via ICQ to Coyote_94YJ Send a message via Yahoo to Coyote_94YJ
Can you get buy with just swapping injection pumps, fuel lines and ... or do you have to swap engines? Don't those have different drives and bolt patterns?

Coyote_94YJ is offline   Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 12:15 AM   #32
Jeeper
 
cummins5552's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: sullivan IN
Posts: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote_94yj View Post
Can you get buy with just swapping injection pumps, fuel lines and ... or do you have to swap engines? Don't those have different drives and bolt patterns?
yes, i would have to change the front cover and gear also. its not to bad to just swap the engines.......... and sell my ve pumped engine

cummins5552 is offline   Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 12:18 AM   #33
Moderator

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
Coyote_94YJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Germany
Posts: 20,890
Send a message via ICQ to Coyote_94YJ Send a message via Yahoo to Coyote_94YJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by cummins5552 View Post
yes, i would have to change the front cover and gear also. its not to bad to just swap the engines.......... and sell my ve pumped engine
Ya, I suppose your right. Pulling the engine and bolting in the new one would probably be easier and quicker than swapping out front covers.
Coyote_94YJ is offline   Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 12:25 AM   #34
Jeeper
 
cummins5552's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: sullivan IN
Posts: 95
this thread kinda got hi-jacked
cummins5552 is offline   Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 12:54 AM   #35
Moderator

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
Coyote_94YJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Germany
Posts: 20,890
Send a message via ICQ to Coyote_94YJ Send a message via Yahoo to Coyote_94YJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by cummins5552 View Post
this thread kinda got hi-jacked
Well, kind of...We're still talking about a Cummins 4BT.


I was going to post this earlier but got side tracked. Anyways to get us back on topic....

Here are a few things to consider for the swap.

- Radiator.
This one for a GM V-8 swap will work. http://advanceadapters.com/product/1932/716693-AA.html

- Engine mounts.
I would get a hold of Scott on the 4BT Swaps forum. Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums

- Transmission adapter.
Depends on what transmission you decide to go with. I'll be using a GM 4 speed and cummins5552 used the stock Jeep trans.
http://advanceadapters.com/
http://www.novak-adapt.com/

- Exhaust.
I'd just have a local shop build it for you.

- Drive shafts.
If you can't get the transfer case back into it's original position you'll need to change the length of your shafts.
Coyote_94YJ is offline   Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 08:43 PM   #36
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 449
Would you have to length in the drive shaft or shorten it? And by about how much?
I am saving up to buy a 4bt to do the swap this winter. Or is it worth spending more money and get the 6bt? Power difference? And gas mileage and realiability of these engines?
97'wrangler is offline   Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 09:02 PM   #37
Moderator

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
Coyote_94YJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Germany
Posts: 20,890
Send a message via ICQ to Coyote_94YJ Send a message via Yahoo to Coyote_94YJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97'wrangler View Post
Would you have to length in the drive shaft or shorten it? And by about how much?
I am saving up to buy a 4bt to do the swap this winter. Or is it worth spending more money and get the 6bt? Power difference? And gas mileage and realiability of these engines?
When you build the drive train and place it in the Jeep you have a certain amount of space to work with length wise so you might be able to set everything in place so that no drive shaft modifications would be required but that is something most likely you won't know until you are placing it in the Jeep. It depends on how long the adapter you use as well as the length of the transmission, t-case adapter, and t-case. Too many variables to give you an answer.

As far as should you go 4BT or 6BT... I would suggest a 4BT for the simple fact that the install will be much easier. The 6BT is quite long and it might take a bit of body modification to get it to fit. Also it weighs a ton. I will have to strengthen the Jeeps 1/4 ton frame quite a bit to keep everything in place. As far as cost goes I think it will be about the same if not a little less expensive to install a 6BT because there are more of them around. You could also do like I did and get an entire running Dodge truck for $3000 or so and then you will also have 3/4 ton axles and other parts that you could use or sell off to recoup some $$$. So there are pluses and minuses with either engine.
Coyote_94YJ is offline   Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 02:57 PM   #38
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 449
What trucks have the cummins 4bt diesel 3.9l engine? I am looking around for one but they r limited here. Maybe if I no what trucks have them in it then would be easier to find one?
97'wrangler is offline   Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 03:02 PM   #39
Sponsoring Vendor
 
Ibuildembig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Fruitland, Missouri
Posts: 8,548
Stepvans
Ibuildembig is offline   Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 04:15 PM   #40
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 449
Do you no what type or make stepvans? And do you guys think that my stock t-case and ax-5 manual tran will hold up for a daily driver? At least for a little while? Well with the new input shaft and bell housing of course... And Where can i get some motor mounts?
Sorry for all the questions, just need a lot of advice.
97'wrangler is offline   Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 04:19 PM   #41
Sponsoring Vendor
 
Ibuildembig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Fruitland, Missouri
Posts: 8,548
I have seen them in all makes and models...like Frito Lay vans

Your prolly gonna have to do like the rest of us and make your own mounts.

I wouldn't trust the ax-5 to drive across the street with a 4bt in front of it...hell they blow up all the time behind a 2.5
Ibuildembig is offline   Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 04:43 PM   #42
Moderator

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
Coyote_94YJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Germany
Posts: 20,890
Send a message via ICQ to Coyote_94YJ Send a message via Yahoo to Coyote_94YJ
They are mostly found in Grumman and Chevy step vans or P-30 vans. They are sometimes referred to as chip vans or bread vans.


And x2 on what Ibuildembig said about the AX-5. Kick that crap to the curb.
Coyote_94YJ is offline   Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 04:45 PM   #43
Sponsoring Vendor
 
Ibuildembig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Fruitland, Missouri
Posts: 8,548
Or sell it before its too late...if its good it will bring 500 right now.

I have seen quite a few 4BT's in Ford steps down this way, 2 of which were p-pump ones
Ibuildembig is offline   Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 01:47 PM   #44
Jeeper
 
kentiboater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Maryland
Posts: 33
The ax-15 is ok to use with the 4bt right?
kentiboater is offline   Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 02:06 PM   #45
Sponsoring Vendor
 
Ibuildembig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Fruitland, Missouri
Posts: 8,548
Man I'd hate to say yes and it blow up on you. I would research the maximum torque spec for it and make an educated guess.
Ibuildembig is offline   Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 02:24 PM   #46
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
schnutzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: ring side seats to the the country's largest circus
Posts: 28,194
Send a message via AIM to schnutzy
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentiboater View Post
The ax-15 is ok to use with the 4bt right?
the majority of 4bt into a wrangler swaps i have read up on use the stock ax-15. so it looks like it might hold up well. however it would still be good to do what Ibuildembig said and do some research and see just what the ax-15 is built to handle.
__________________
clinging on to sanity, one motorcycle at a time.
schnutzy is offline   Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 04:43 PM   #47
Jeeper
 
cummins5552's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: sullivan IN
Posts: 95
use the ax15 or nv3550 the nv3550 replaced the ax15 both are decent trans
cummins5552 is offline   Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 09:23 PM   #48
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 449
Ok so I have been looking around for a 4bt but cant find them anywhere. Anyone have any idea where they are? Or advice? I live in CT and I don't mind driving out of state to get a cummins.
Please help I am wanting to do this before the snow comes down.
97'wrangler is offline   Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 02:15 AM   #49
Moderator

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
Coyote_94YJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Germany
Posts: 20,890
Send a message via ICQ to Coyote_94YJ Send a message via Yahoo to Coyote_94YJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97'wrangler View Post
Ok so I have been looking around for a 4bt but cant find them anywhere. Anyone have any idea where they are? Or advice? I live in CT and I don't mind driving out of state to get a cummins.
Please help I am wanting to do this before the snow comes down.
↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ Here are several key words to use.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibuildembig View Post
I have seen them in all makes and models...like Frito Lay vans

Your prolly gonna have to do like the rest of us and make your own mounts.

I wouldn't trust the ax-5 to drive across the street with a 4bt in front of it...hell they blow up all the time behind a 2.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote_94yj View Post
They are mostly found in Grumman and Chevy step vans or P-30 vans. They are sometimes referred to as chip vans or bread vans.






They can be found in these vehicles or by themselves. Craigslist, eBay, and the classified section of the 4btswaps website.
Coyote_94YJ is offline   Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 12:01 PM   #50
Jeeper
 
kentiboater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Maryland
Posts: 33
Do you have do anything for the front a rear ends if your running the 2.5?
kentiboater is offline   Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 04:18 PM   #51
Jeeper
 
cummins5552's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: sullivan IN
Posts: 95
im guessing you have 4.10 gearing in it now?
cummins5552 is offline   Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 08:53 PM   #52
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by cummins5552
im guessing you have 4.10 gearing in it now?
If you are talking to me or Kent, I have 410 gearing and most likely he does too unless he switched them out.
What do you think is a fair price to pay for a 4bt?
And I am planning on getting a trans at the local junkyard(ax15) and buy new input shaft for the transfer case. Is there anything else I will need? Other than the computer and such?
97'wrangler is offline   Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 10:29 PM   #53
Sponsoring Vendor
 
Ibuildembig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Fruitland, Missouri
Posts: 8,548
computer on a cummins 4bt? No such thing
Ibuildembig is offline   Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 12:03 AM   #54
Jeeper
 
cummins5552's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: sullivan IN
Posts: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97'wrangler View Post
If you are talking to me or Kent, I have 410 gearing and most likely he does too unless he switched them out.
What do you think is a fair price to pay for a 4bt?
And I am planning on getting a trans at the local junkyard(ax15) and buy new input shaft for the transfer case. Is there anything else I will need? Other than the computer and such?
4.10 gearing may not be the best for a DD. I paid 1500 for my 4bt but,it didnt come with the engine adapter( engine adapter is in between the engine and bell-housing) adapter & flywheel run 600-900 used. you will also need a bell housing, 11'' clutch 1 1/8 x 10 spline & high profile pressure plate, throw out bearing, pilot bearing 42mm o.d x .750 i.d, 1975 land cruiser slave cylinder. that will get you started.......if you need part #s let me know( most of this can be bought at A.A)
cummins5552 is offline   Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 12:06 AM   #55
Moderator

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
Coyote_94YJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Germany
Posts: 20,890
Send a message via ICQ to Coyote_94YJ Send a message via Yahoo to Coyote_94YJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by cummins5552 View Post
4.10 gearing may not be the best for a DD. I paid 1500 for my 4bt but,it didnt come with the engine adapter( engine adapter is in between the engine and bell-housing) adapter & flywheel run 600-900 used. you will also need a bell housing, 11'' clutch 1 1/8 x 10 spline & high profile pressure plate, throw out bearing, pilot bearing 42mm o.d x .750 i.d, 1975 land cruiser slave cylinder. that will get you started.......if you need part #s let me know( most of this can be bought at A.A)
Could you whip up a parts list with part numbers? Will an 11" clutch be enough for a 6BT?
Coyote_94YJ is offline   Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 01:07 AM   #56
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
schnutzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: ring side seats to the the country's largest circus
Posts: 28,194
Send a message via AIM to schnutzy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibuildembig View Post
computer on a cummins 4bt? No such thing

actually, there are computer controlled 4bts. you just dont see them very often cause they are relatively new. if my memory serves me correctly, there is the 3.3QSB and the 3.9ISB(i think) at some point, i had some info some where on these engines, let me see if i can find it.
__________________
clinging on to sanity, one motorcycle at a time.
schnutzy is offline   Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 01:36 AM   #57
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
schnutzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: ring side seats to the the country's largest circus
Posts: 28,194
Send a message via AIM to schnutzy
ok, i cant find the links i thought i had. but the engines are out there, but probably not something you want for this swap, they are going to be more expensive, very little(if any) tunning options, and over all, more annoying to instal.
__________________
clinging on to sanity, one motorcycle at a time.
schnutzy is offline   Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 01:57 AM   #58
Jeeper
 
cummins5552's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: sullivan IN
Posts: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by schnutzy View Post
ok, i cant find the links i thought i had. but the engines are out there, but probably not something you want for this swap, they are going to be more expensive, very little(if any) tunning options, and over all, more annoying to instal.
you are right
cummins5552 is offline   Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 05:07 AM   #59
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote_94yj

Could you whip up a parts list with part numbers? Will an 11" clutch be enough for a 6BT?
Ya if you get a chance, I would like to have a parts list and numbers please also.
97'wrangler is offline   Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 09:39 AM   #60
Sponsoring Vendor
 
Ibuildembig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Fruitland, Missouri
Posts: 8,548
Yeah for sure, I have no use for an ECM controlled diesel of any kind

I didn't know that about the 4bt's, guess they went to that when the 6bt's did in 98.

Ibuildembig is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
4bt cummins motor swap 95riogrande YJ Tech Forum 1 11-01-2009 02:38 AM
v8 swap upinar TJ General Discussion Forum 4 01-14-2009 05:35 AM
Cummins swap gron86 JK Tech Forum 7 12-09-2008 06:30 PM
intresting info on the 4.0L TB swap... foxinthemudd General Jeep Discussion 10 03-10-2008 11:37 PM
Swap your auto tranny for my 5-speed AX-15 tranny Jerry Bransford Classifieds Archive 2 02-15-2007 04:15 PM



Download our Mobile App

» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:08 PM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2015 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC