frame repair? - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > General Jeep Discussions > Builders Corner

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 04-08-2012, 03:34 AM   #1
Jeeper
 
chimera555's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 65
frame repair?

So I have the body off my TJ and I'm looking to patch the rot where the upper control arm bracket mounts to the frame.

I'm also considering welding up the holes in the side of the frame. Other than to let mud/water inside the frame I dont see what good they are. Any one with experience have any thoughts/advice they could share?

Also I have read of a few guys putting drain holes in the bottom of the frame. I'm considering that as well.

chimera555 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-09-2012, 10:42 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
chimera555's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 65
no one here ever patched a frame before?

chimera555 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-10-2012, 01:52 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
NHEric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Barrington, NH
Posts: 141
Sure. I have been patching mine for a few years now. It sucks. Get it looking great - just to find another friggin rust hole the next year. I don't even drive it in the winter. I picked up another clean frame for short money. I'll patch mine again for this summer, but will do a frame swap this winter. I love my TJ, but this rotting frame shit is pissing me off.
NHEric is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-10-2012, 01:55 PM   #4
Commercial Member

WF Supporting Member
 
kfdjason7620's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Kenly, NC
Posts: 3,962
Some of the oblong holes on the sides of the frame are tiedown points for r hooks that roll back drivers use
kfdjason7620 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-11-2012, 11:13 AM   #5
Newb
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NY
Posts: 4
wanna see some frame repair check out my thread on jeepforum. "wasnt me, my 2000 tj weekend warrior" its in the process but going steady. i'll try and upload some pics

BAMFjeepin719 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-11-2012, 11:15 AM   #6
Newb
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NY
Posts: 4
this weekend we will be cutting my frame in half and welding/pieceing the 00 front half to a 03 rear half. then reassembly time.
BAMFjeepin719 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-11-2012, 07:32 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
chimera555's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 65
Thank you for the feed back guys. I'm really thinking I'm going to cover over all those holes an pop some drain holes in the bottom.

BAMFjeepin719 Im excited to see some pics I will definitely check that out good luck on your frame! I'm thinking ill put some pics or video on here about my frame.
chimera555 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-20-2012, 11:43 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
chimera555's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 65
i got one frame rail repaired in the back i didn't get good befor pics.








I did away with all thoes little holes that let dirt and water inside the frame. I plan on doing away with the holes forward of this section and adding some 1 inch drain holes in the bottem of the frame so the water and mud that get in from the ends of the rails has a place to drain out.
chimera555 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-20-2012, 11:47 PM   #9
Sponsoring Vendor
 
Ibuildembig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Fruitland, Missouri
Posts: 8,369
Nice work! Definately do the weldup on the holes you dont need and drill some small ones in the bottom side.....that's what I did to my YJ one and I think it will be fine for a long time.
Ibuildembig is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-21-2012, 05:48 AM   #10
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 128
Looks great you near ny ? Lol I only got 2 holes under my bumpstops
1990wrangler is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-24-2012, 07:42 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
chimera555's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 65
Thanks guys yeah I'm near NY in the rutland area. I'm definitely going to weld up the holes and add some drain holes on the bottom. I'm very disappointing with these frames it looks like planned obsolescence to me.
chimera555 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-24-2012, 10:48 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 128
Damn your all the way up there lol all well ill ask one of my fellow jeepers or possibly get a new frame since I plan on giving it to my son in 14 yrs when he gets his permit
1990wrangler is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-25-2012, 11:48 AM   #13
Jeeper
 
zmotorsports's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Northern Utah
Posts: 627
Looking good. Keep the pics coming on your progress.

Mike.
__________________
2011 JKU Rubicon
BDS Long-Arm System/ 17x9 ATX Crawl wheels/35" BFG KM2's/ Plus much, much more.

Click here to see my 2011 JKU Rubicon Build Thread
zmotorsports is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-28-2012, 01:16 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
Snow king's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 65
I'm in Poultney right next to granville ny where abouts near Rutland are you and have you ever been to metowee mud offroad park iv killed my 95 there twice it's great
Snow king is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-29-2012, 12:15 AM   #15
Jeeper
 
chimera555's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 65
I wish I could find a new frame for this thing i would weld up the side holes and put drains in the bottom right off the bat a frame is something that you shouldn't ever have to worry about rotting out before its even old enough to be considered a classic...Just down right pathetic.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow king View Post
I'm in Poultney right next to granville ny where abouts near Rutland are you and have you ever been to metowee mud offroad park iv killed my 95 there twice it's great
I'm in west rutland I have heard of metowee but have never been I would like to go someday tho!
chimera555 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-29-2012, 12:28 AM   #16
Jeeper
 
Snow king's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 65
I'll send u a link there having an event here soon
Snow king is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-29-2012, 02:45 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: central mississippi
Posts: 79
This is just the old construction guy in me talkiing. If you have factory holes in the frame, they would theoretically serve two purposes. One would be so the frame could be moved during vehicle manufacture and another would be for the frame being hollow to allow air to circulate to dry moisture out. Obviously the air circulation thing may have partially worked but did not prevent rust out. My thinking was that while you had the frame open for repair you could spray some type of anti rust material to the inside of the frame. After you make your repair what would it hurt to spray the expanding foam insulation into the remaining holes versus welding them shut. If some rust stop spray was applied to the inside of the frame and filled with foam , you eliminate the air /moisture factors from the inside out rust problem. Just a thought.
whatitism is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-29-2012, 02:52 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
Snow king's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 65
Little off topic but I've seen can foam and bondo applied to a frame to make it look good ie fixing the rusted out section
Snow king is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-30-2012, 09:10 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
chimera555's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatitism View Post
This is just the old construction guy in me talkiing. If you have factory holes in the frame, they would theoretically serve two purposes. One would be so the frame could be moved during vehicle manufacture and another would be for the frame being hollow to allow air to circulate to dry moisture out. Obviously the air circulation thing may have partially worked but did not prevent rust out. My thinking was that while you had the frame open for repair you could spray some type of anti rust material to the inside of the frame. After you make your repair what would it hurt to spray the expanding foam insulation into the remaining holes versus welding them shut. If some rust stop spray was applied to the inside of the frame and filled with foam , you eliminate the air /moisture factors from the inside out rust problem. Just a thought.
I have seriously considered the spray foam idea!!! I plan on putting some good size drain holes in the bottom of the frame after getting it all welded up. I also considered the rust encapsulate r but the scale on the inside of the frame is quite bad I dont think it would help in the areas I cant get to.

Thanks for the link i checked it out it I have a friend who goes every now an again if he goes I might tag along.

The weather has been pretty good again the past few days so ill b getting back to work on it
chimera555 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-01-2012, 08:30 AM   #20
Jeeper
 
zmotorsports's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Northern Utah
Posts: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by chimera555 View Post
I have seriously considered the spray foam idea!!! I plan on putting some good size drain holes in the bottom of the frame after getting it all welded up. I also considered the rust encapsulate r but the scale on the inside of the frame is quite bad I dont think it would help in the areas I cant get to.

Thanks for the link i checked it out it I have a friend who goes every now an again if he goes I might tag along.

The weather has been pretty good again the past few days so ill b getting back to work on it
Rather than the spray in foam have you considered 3-M Rust Fighter I. I used this quite a lot when I was doing street rod/musclecar work. They make a 36" wand that attached to the gun and allows you to get into those small holes in the frame and the wand sprays in a 360 degree pattern (it is actually adjustable to spray anywhere from 90 to 360 degrees) so it coats the entire interior of the frame as you drag is outward.

Just another option/suggestion.

Mike.
__________________
2011 JKU Rubicon
BDS Long-Arm System/ 17x9 ATX Crawl wheels/35" BFG KM2's/ Plus much, much more.

Click here to see my 2011 JKU Rubicon Build Thread
zmotorsports is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-02-2012, 12:49 AM   #21
Jeeper
 
chimera555's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 65
I have seen a product like that and it would be perfect for the areas that don't have heavy scale.. i cant get in there all the way to break it all off. and I think I would only put the foam inside a rust free painted frame.. dont see it doing a whole lot of good going over top of the rust scale.

Today i got a good amount done on the other frame rail. i think 2 more good days of work and it will be all patched up an ready to go again.
chimera555 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-02-2012, 08:01 PM   #22
Newb
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by chimera555
I have seen a product like that and it would be perfect for the areas that don't have heavy scale.. i cant get in there all the way to break it all off. and I think I would only put the foam inside a rust free painted frame.. dont see it doing a whole lot of good going over top of the rust scale.

Today i got a good amount done on the other frame rail. i think 2 more good days of work and it will be all patched up an ready to go again.
Is their a diff. From a 6 cyl frame and a 4 cyl frame
John Carroll is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-03-2012, 02:44 PM   #23
Jeeper
 
chimera555's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Carroll View Post
Is their a diff. From a 6 cyl frame and a 4 cyl frame
I think its just got different engine mounts.
chimera555 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-04-2012, 11:12 PM   #24
Jeeper
 
chimera555's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 65
If any one is interested to see the video counter part to the above pictures check out my build thread. 5.3 V8 swap

chimera555 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Tags
frame repair

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Heater core repair and error code p 0456 Kyle.dorsch TJ General Discussion Forum 1 04-07-2012 05:41 PM
First Jeep, Looking at 89 YJ - Frame=No Rust mgh488 YJ Tech Forum 17 04-05-2012 10:44 PM
Frame Question Hockeygeek21 General Jeep Discussion 2 04-05-2012 10:04 PM
Anybody got a frame???? BPJOOP93 Wisconsin Jeep Forum 1 04-04-2012 10:03 PM
New soft top and upper door frame question tec498 TJ General Discussion Forum 12 04-04-2012 07:46 PM



» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:02 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC