Started off by replacing the head unit, so I ripped out the old Sony and dropped in an Alpine CDE-HD137BT head unit; based on research and talking with local installers, this was the most vibration resistant of the decks (not including marine units). I also opt'd to install the Quadratec "iVault" for added protection against would be theives.
The system sounded okay for a while, but wasn't overall excited about the Bass I was getting from the factory center console Sub, so I decided to build my own.
(Day 1) Started out by drawing up some plans; which ended up getting modified during the build. After several dry fits, I slowing got the enclosure built; with very minimal gaps in the joints. Use wood filler (not spackling) to cover up the recessed screws; spackling does not tend to hold up very well to a router or sander... Then pre-wired the box for the amp and sub; then masked it off.
(Day 2 - Day 5) After sanding, puttying...re-sanding, I put on 4 coats of primer; wanted to make sure that the MDF board will nolonger absorb any more moisture, especially from the paint (or worse.. rain). Sprayed textured black on the outside and texture speckled grey on the amp section; wanted the amp to stand out and black would just make it blend in.
(Day 6) Final Drying... went kayak fishing (crabbing)
(Day 7) Wired the TJ with 8 gauge power wires, wire terminal blocks and the RCA cables; also ran seperate power wires for the remote and illumination lighting. Installed the amp into the enclosure and the LED lighting strips; mental note: pre-wire LED power wires so they are hidden (forgot, now it looks kinda tacky). Drilled to holes at the bottom of the enclosure and bolted the box onto the Tuffy Full Drawer; now would be theves will have a bitch trying to remove the box without damaging it. Wired up the Alpine MRP-M500 Mono amp to the Alpine SWS-10D4 Subwooder; including Alpine's KTE-10G Subwoofer Grill cover to protect it from morons. And then plugged everything it the head unit; including tapping into the "orange" for power to the LED lights.
And she's done!!! Here are some pics of the build: