The rear part of my frame had bad rot areas, all in the typical spots. Since I had planned to tear it down and do a restoration and upgrades, I decided to take more drastic measures and replace frame metal instead of just patching the bad areas. After performing a complete teardown, I cut off the offending rear section of frame. After doing a thorough degreasing and pressure washing, I sent what was left of the frame and skid plate to a sand blasting shop. They did a fantastic job taking the frame and skid plate down to bare metal, leaving no trace of rust or paint. Now I had something decent to work with. As soon as I got it home, I sprayed the surfaces with Ospho to protect the bare metal from flash rust. I purchased 12 feet of 4" x 2.5" x 11 gauge steel tubing. I took careful measurements, and laid out a design of the new rails in Autocad. I purchased a chop saw, and proceeded to make sparks.
Here's where I'm at right now. Before I weld the new rails to the frame, I first need to cut the holes for the rear leaf spring mounts. BTW, the engine you see in the background is what I'm putting in the Wrangler. It's a 6.4L Dodge. It started life as a 318, but I'm throwing a 4" stroker crank to bump it up to 390 cubes. It will be backed by a 3 speed Torqueflite.