I started a new project over the weekend. It will be a slow project in between work and when I acquire parts to complete it. It will not be your typical OBA project though with a premade kit or anything like that stuffed in the engine bay or under the Jeep somewhere.
The plan is to build a small platform for now (entire false floor will be happening over the summer) that will have both the tank and the compressor mounted to it and have it be removable, quickly. I plan to have the wiring for the compressor portion (aside from the ground and positive lead) all on the mount I am building so it can be quickly pulled from my Jeep and remotely hooked to a battery should the need arise.
The base will be built out of 1" steel square tubing with a 16ga sheet of steel welded to the top. The tank and compressor will be mounted with tamper resistant hardware to ensure sticky fingers do not make them disappear from my Jeep when my eyes are not on it, yet I will make the whole thing removable if you know how. Because I don't want the unit damaged during daily use I will be using steel rod and bend a cage around everything to protect from bumps and crashes. This will bolt to the base, I will be threading the ends and adding nuts which will be rounded off and welded in place as vertical stops then nuts on the bottom side to hold the entire cage to the unit.
Here is general idea of the layout
This whole build will be a budget build, I started by getting the tank, which I sourced free from a local big rig junk yard (they also gave me air horns which will be mounted out of the way in the bay somewhere). Its a 10x20 tank which gives me plenty of volume without tanking up much space. This I believe was used on a Kenworth. It originally had tank straps on it so I will need to fabricate legs for it before I go too far. I have a Viair 444c coming which was acquired through a friend of mine new in trade for some old parts I had laying around he wanted. I picked up the steel sheet as scrap from a local welder, and I have the 1" tubing here in the shop already. The only things left to source as fittings, tubing, and the electronics needed.
This is the tank
I will be finishing the whole thing off with a nice textured black powder coat that I use often here in the shop for Harley stuff.
Everything tank, mount, compressor, and cage will be coated in this as it is super durable and does not draw attention.
I am hoping to start working on the base for this over the weekend and get feet on the tank to get everything moving before spring is here.