Project: Interior Revamp! - Page 2 - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > General Jeep Discussions > Builders Corner

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 08-26-2011, 11:09 AM   #31
Jeeper
 
IndyJeepMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 3,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cons_Table

I love the drop down tailgate. Very classic. If my tailgate wasn't bent I would do this
I agree, im going to assess what will need done to do the mod after i add the armor, im hoping its still doable.

__________________
1980 CJ7
3.9L Cummins POWER!
Follow my build, its cool and stuff: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f118/project-shake-n-bake-a-cummins-cj-188515.html]
IndyJeepMan is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-26-2011, 11:23 AM   #32
The Rogue Moderator

::WF Moderator::
 
Cons_Table's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ridgecrest, CA
Posts: 7,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyJeepMan View Post
I agree, im going to assess what will need done to do the mod after i add the armor, im hoping its still doable.
I would assume so. It seems fairly simple to do, and I wouldnt think the armor would interfere with the installation.

__________________
Poor Boy Racing The definition of the EVERYMAN Challenge!

Everyman Challenge XJ Build
Cons_Table is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-26-2011, 11:54 AM   #33
Jeeper
 
IndyJeepMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 3,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cons_Table

I would assume so. It seems fairly simple to do, and I wouldnt think the armor would interfere with the installation.
If anything id hope itd make it even stronger.
__________________
1980 CJ7
3.9L Cummins POWER!
Follow my build, its cool and stuff: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f118/project-shake-n-bake-a-cummins-cj-188515.html]
IndyJeepMan is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-27-2011, 02:30 AM   #34
Jeeper
 
BigEZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: People's Republic of Illinois
Posts: 871
Images: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyJeepMan View Post
If anything id hope itd make it even stronger.

Doubt it would have any effect either way. Maybe the extra weight would cause more stress on the new hinges, but not much. Better off that than the stock lateral hinges. Which, btw, are my new biggest pet peeve of TJs (took over top spot from torx. I'm sure torx will regain the title eventually.) That damned aluminum oxidized the bolts, which caused rot on the inside of the pass rear tub corner. Gonna have to cut it out and weld new sheet metal in.

I was going to try and find an old CJ tailgate that read "JEEP"; but then decided it wasn't worth the $$ since it would be covered by my spare. There are a few floating around at decent prices though.
__________________
Ride hard.
Shoot straight.
Tell the truth.
BigEZ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-27-2011, 04:57 PM   #35
Jeeper
 
tnjeeprider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Maryville, TN
Posts: 428
Great box.I am going to build one also. I added an ammo can to my tailgate after removing the spare tire.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Can 1.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	224.5 KB
ID:	65062   Click image for larger version

Name:	Can 3.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	202.9 KB
ID:	65063  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Can 4.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	226.8 KB
ID:	65064  
tnjeeprider is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-09-2011, 11:46 PM   #36
Jeeper
 
IndyJeepMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 3,387
Someone has a rear bumper coming from Rokmen and some Crosby Shackles
__________________
1980 CJ7
3.9L Cummins POWER!
Follow my build, its cool and stuff: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f118/project-shake-n-bake-a-cummins-cj-188515.html]
IndyJeepMan is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-10-2011, 10:02 AM   #37
Rock-Rubber

WF Supporting Member
 
GoldenSahara00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SCPA
Posts: 16,617
You lucky guy! haha. I will be pulling the trigger on some new goodies this week sometime or maybe not til next monday, depends on if I get to cash my check friday lol.

Oh and my pops picked up some old trunks at an auction, and they are both the same size. They are almost the exact dimensions of the rear of my jeep, I am thinking of mouting one up, I am not sure yet though. gona go do some visual engineering in a min
__________________
Ryan - A good eye, a light foot, and a smart rig.
Bolt-ons are boring
AMERICAN JEEPER
My Build - http://www.wranglerforum.com/f118/pr...a00-74622.html
Rausch Creek Trip: 2014 Trip Coming Soon
GoldenSahara00 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-10-2011, 02:09 PM   #38
Jeeper
 
IndyJeepMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 3,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenSahara00 View Post
You lucky guy! haha. I will be pulling the trigger on some new goodies this week sometime or maybe not til next monday, depends on if I get to cash my check friday lol.

Oh and my pops picked up some old trunks at an auction, and they are both the same size. They are almost the exact dimensions of the rear of my jeep, I am thinking of mouting one up, I am not sure yet though. gona go do some visual engineering in a min
Start a build thread
__________________
1980 CJ7
3.9L Cummins POWER!
Follow my build, its cool and stuff: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f118/project-shake-n-bake-a-cummins-cj-188515.html]
IndyJeepMan is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-10-2011, 07:00 PM   #39
Jeeper
 
00tj2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 1,228
Wow. That's a nice job. I have one question though. Is the spare tire just mounted to the top of the box? If so, and I hate to say this it could become very dangerious in a front end collision. I'm only saying this because I deal with it a lot in my line of work. Looks awesome though, I might have make a removable one for mine now.
__________________
I know a lot of things, most of them are only correct in my own head...

Better to be judged by twelve then carried by six. I'm sure this is going to get me in trouble down the line
00tj2 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-10-2011, 11:23 PM   #40
Jeeper
 
IndyJeepMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 3,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00tj2
Wow. That's a nice job. I have one question though. Is the spare tire just mounted to the top of the box? If so, and I hate to say this it could become very dangerious in a front end collision. I'm only saying this because I deal with it a lot in my line of work. Looks awesome though, I might have make a removable one for mine now.
It is, but its allthreaded down to 1/4 inch hardwood if it comes through, i have some other problems too lol! I fell its pretty safe! Thanks for the compliment too
__________________
1980 CJ7
3.9L Cummins POWER!
Follow my build, its cool and stuff: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f118/project-shake-n-bake-a-cummins-cj-188515.html]
IndyJeepMan is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-20-2012, 09:53 PM   #41
Jeeper
 
correycinciyj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 167
sweet idea i was thinking of something similar with the tire mount but i have the half top that comes down right behind the front seats and then covers the bed. so tire wont fit. but great ingenuity man.
correycinciyj is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-20-2012, 11:52 PM   #42
Jeeper
 
correycinciyj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 167
hey just wanted to ask if you had the information on the hinges you used and here is a link for that drop tailgate you guys were talking about. its the one i will be getting and really not a bad price

Swagoffroad.com YJ, TJ & JK Fold Down Tailgate Conversion Kits

they also have other stuff you guys may be interested in
correycinciyj is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-24-2012, 10:19 AM   #43
Jeeper
 
correycinciyj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 167
love the box man and great work im currently building the same thing but its a little different. i actually boxed out the sub for better sound. also a few other differences. how much do you think yours weighs with sub and amp in it
correycinciyj is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-24-2012, 10:36 AM   #44
Jeeper
 
IndyJeepMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 3,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by correycinciyj
love the box man and great work im currently building the same thing but its a little different. i actually boxed out the sub for better sound. also a few other differences. how much do you think yours weighs with sub and amp in it
Thanks for the good words! Mine probably weighs close to 60lbs? With the spare on it close to 110. but im removing the box since a fuel cell will be taking its place.
__________________
1980 CJ7
3.9L Cummins POWER!
Follow my build, its cool and stuff: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f118/project-shake-n-bake-a-cummins-cj-188515.html]
IndyJeepMan is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-28-2012, 10:55 PM   #45
Jeeper
 
BigEZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: People's Republic of Illinois
Posts: 871
Images: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by correycinciyj View Post
hey just wanted to ask if you had the information on the hinges you used and here is a link for that drop tailgate you guys were talking about. its the one i will be getting and really not a bad price

Swagoffroad.com YJ, TJ & JK Fold Down Tailgate Conversion Kits

they also have other stuff you guys may be interested in
nothing against the swag kit, but I built my own for about 40 bucks including the 12 pack that kept me going through the afternoon.

I bought my hinges from Home Depot...adonized black fence hinges. Tailgate cable from a 2000-ish GM 1500 pickup (one major auto parts store had them for about 7 bucks, the other for 14...no idea why.) I went with only one cable- it's plenty strong enough to hold my 210lbs.
__________________
Ride hard.
Shoot straight.
Tell the truth.
BigEZ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-29-2012, 12:32 AM   #46
Jeeper
 
correycinciyj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEZ

nothing against the swag kit, but I built my own for about 40 bucks including the 12 pack that kept me going through the afternoon.

I bought my hinges from Home Depot...adonized black fence hinges. Tailgate cable from a 2000-ish GM 1500 pickup (one major auto parts store had them for about 7 bucks, the other for 14...no idea why.) I went with only one cable- it's plenty strong enough to hold my 210lbs.
Damn now that is cheep. I just stumbled across the site and saved it. A drop down gate is a mod I want to end up doing
correycinciyj is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-02-2012, 09:18 PM   #47
Jeeper
 
correycinciyj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyJeepMan View Post
Thanks for the good words! Mine probably weighs close to 60lbs? With the spare on it close to 110. but im removing the box since a fuel cell will be taking its place.
jesus mine weighs so much its ridiculous. i added an internal box to seal off the sub and also used 3/4 inch mdf board for the entire shell.. as its sitting now with out the drawer and sub its probably close to a hundred.

correycinciyj is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Jeep Project SKYOFSCORPIONS YJ Tech Forum 0 02-15-2011 11:35 AM
1991 YJ Restoration and build up project begins SwatCop Builders Corner 21 01-10-2011 11:53 AM
ADVICE - May have found a project jeep Bryanherron General Jeep Discussion 11 08-23-2010 07:07 AM
My First Jeep Project! kEat General Jeep Discussion 5 07-13-2010 07:34 PM
Girl Project "Chick" Alert jeepsR4chix2 WF New Member Check In 17 07-28-2007 01:01 AM



» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:26 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC