Well, the Hemi and 545rfe transmission arrived! Got it unloaded out of the truck, cleaned up a bit, and mocked up between the framerails. Using the Advance Adapters motor mount kit makes this a piece of cake...
Ok, so the Hemi is in. I burned the mounts in and got the trans and motor set back in place. Advance Adapters headers and gas pedal bracket will probably be here today. Ill have my stock TJ auto shifter assembly Monday, and the grand cherokee gas pedal next week sometime. Then its a matter of saving my pennies for the engine harness!
I ordered the remaining 8 johnny joints for the front 4-link, as well as the jam nuts and tube inserts. Tube inserts and jam nuts will be here Saturday. Id like the next step to be getting the Jeep back on the all 4 tires, so that means building the front 4 link next....
I got my grill and behind-the-grill hoop back in place. I had to cut the hoop off to get the 4.0L out and the Hemi in, so I cut it flush with the frame and now have it so its removable with 2-bolt flanges on the bottom to the frame. It will also tie in to my coilover hoops.
My AA headers and pedal bracket, Currie johnny joints, 06 grand cherokee gas pedal, and auto trans tunnel cover arrived and those are next...
Now that the grill and hoop are in place I can measure for a radiator...
Got further with the 4-link. I got the Artec Industries lower link frame and axle brackets, upper link axle brackets, and coilover tabs. I made my upper link frame brackets and got everything tacked in place. Entering the numbers in the 4-link calculator puts me right about 55% antisquat, which from what I read is close to perfect for a front application. Coilover hoops mounted and coilovers set.
Sitting on the rollers once again. 4-link complete.
I have been doing some little items here and there that need to be done. Finished the cage-to-frame tie-ins, got my front calipers painted and installed. I mounted my adjustable proportioning valve for the rear brakes, and ran my CB cable and mounted the antenna. Next up will be plumbing the brakes and getting the steering completed.
Its getting closer, but still a long way away. From the outside it may look like its almost ready to go, but I still need to get the Atlas transfer case, get the engine wiring harness, radiator, etc. Haven't even been able to fire the motor up. Then there is exhaust, trans mount, skid plate, rear bumpstops, drivelines....and tires on beadlocks.
Are you keeping track of the budget for this build?
Nope, not really keeping track of the budget. I find that if I do I want to throw up.
The major items for the build were obviously the motor and trans, which I got for $2750 shipped. Ill need an Atlas t-case which will be about 2 to 2500 bucks, and the tires and wheels, roughly 1400 for wheels (beadlocks) and 2K for the tires.
There is a LOT of little stuff that adds up. One thing that I haven't picked up yet that I really need is the engine wiring harness. I really want to get it so I can fire the motor up and get it running....but that's about 1,500 bucks!
College_fishman, you aren't too far off. Going with some Goodyear Kevlar MTR's in the 42" flavor, wrapped around some Raceline beadlocks.
In June or July I will be selling a like-new set of 40" Kevlar MTRs on Trailready HD beadlocks. You can see the tires in March at the swap meet in Puyallup. Currently, they're brand new, but I need them for a week in June.