Getting back around to doing more work done. I took a break from the Jeep to FINALLY build a bench in the garage. I decided to make it a rolling welding bench, something to bolt the vise, tube notcher, etc onto. I had a top laser cut with the slots to use the Miller clamp for their Arcstations.
Also started to install the Yukon Super Joints in my axles. I originally planned to use the stock 35 spline inners, but decided against that and ordered up some Yukon 4340 inners;
The size of these axles are just awesome compared to a D30 or D44
got the 50" CSI light bar wired up, as well as a pair of Hella horns.
Started setting up the gears on the front axle; 5.38's with a Detroit.
Front brackets/tabs/truss all welded up and painted. Ready for final assembly of gears.
Finished up the gear install on the front 60, installed axles, superjoints, and spidertrax flanges....
Then I got the Jeep turned around with the castor stands and started on the rear Tera60 gear install. Got that all wrapped up and ready to roll the rear axle back under and figure out where to put the rear hydro-bump stops and limit straps.
Its been forever since I feel I started the build! Getting closer for sure, can't wait to get the axles back under and be able to move it under its own power!
I feel ya man. That will be sweet. My build is finally under speed after I bought parts and worked on weekends through school and got everything together. Now I can work, make some money and finish fabricating all my parts for the tuck and get my axles in. Except I need to build a front axle next
Ryan - A good eye, a light foot, and a smart rig. Bolt-ons are boring
sub Awesome build sir I could only wish for 10% of your ability.
It's not about getting out of the Storm, but learning to dance in the rain.
When I die I am going to be buried with my Jeep, cause I haven't yet found a hole it can't get out of!!!!!
06 TJ Rubi 4.0 and alot of other crap
Then got right to mounting them up, Its a tight fit but everything clears on full bump, droop, and flex.
Still need to get the Antirock mounts and limit strap mounting tabs on the axle, then I can pull it and do the final welding on the bumpstop pads and finish them off....shoot it with paint and load in the gears.
Got my Ruff Stuff Specialties diff covers and got them painted up. Front is installed and the rear is ready to go once I get the rear axle painted.
I added a tab off the lower link mount for the Antirock to mount to. Still need to weld it on.
1/4" with some 1/8" on top....
ran into a bit of an issue on the rear axle. I got everything welded up and the gears put back in for the final assembly. Went to put the Ruff Stuff Specialties diff cover on and DOH, it doesnt clear the ARB air line. The angle of the cover is too steep. Not sure if its just because its a Tera60 and the bearing caps are extra thick, meaning that the air line has to come up even higher off the seal housing....or if it is a common issue with all ARB's and the Ruff Stuff Covers.
I've only had a stock cover on the Tera60 before, which is what it came with, and that cleared the same air line location. So, I decided to sell the Ruff Stuff cover and I ordered up a Ballistic Fab extra capacity cover that should fit. If that doesnt work...Ill go back to the stock cover.
Thanks guys. Not a lot to update, been pretty busy so far this summer and haven't got much more done. Need to order the rear axle shafts and a rear driveline and Ill be able to move it under its own power. Need to rework the exhaust and fuel cell hold-down brackets. Getting a little burnt out on it, needed a little bit of a break to get my motivation back!
Things have been really slow on this. First reason is time. Second is that I've been putting some money into a start-up business of fabricating Jeep bumpers and stuff....almost done with my first prototype bumper.
Third reason is that I just blew up the ATS transmission in my F350 on monday.....so its in the shop now getting fixed but will not be cheap!
Not too much to update. Ive re-done my fuel cell mount and skid plate as there was some interference on a couple pieces....got that taken care of now. Also wired up a set of VisionX rock lights, and replaced my headlights with a pair of 7400 lumen each LED lights.
The project hit a hurdle when I had to replace the transmission in my truck. Now that it's done, hopefully I can get back on track with the TJ.
Been slow....havent had much time to work on it as I've been busy with KD Fabworks.
I have been slowly taking parts to the powder coater. I've got my rock sliders, front bumper, and the inserts for the tube fenders powder coated now. I need to find a good local painter now to do my fenders, front grille, and 50" LED windshield brackets. Then I can wrap up the front end and focus on the back.
Here's the front bumper set back on the TJ with the winch and LED light bar mounted.