Replacing the roll cage - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > General Jeep Discussions > Builders Corner

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 09-26-2013, 09:04 AM   #1
Newb
 
YJKid96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Lincoln, NE
Posts: 10
Replacing the roll cage

So I'm 17, and I just got my uncle's 95 yj and I'm looking at replacing the family cage with a sport style cage (the one with the rear bars at a 45 degree angle). I'm good at working on stuff and I know a fair amount about jeeps for someone who just got one. Does anybody know if this is doable on the budget and experience of a high schooler haha? I could always ask my best friend's dad for help since he has an 02 tj that he's done god knows what to, but I'd prefer to do it myself so I can learn more about my jeep!

__________________
My best friend's dad has an 02 TJ, he has a 95 XJ, and I just got a 95 YJ...our hanging out is a little different than most 17 year olds'😁
YJKid96 is offline   Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 09:40 AM   #2
IITYWTMWYBMAB

WF Supporting Member
::WF Administrator::
 
4Jeepn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Florence, KY
Posts: 10,654
Images: 5
why? the family cage offers far better protection for rear passengers and is a better base to build full cage off of.

__________________
79.96.85.00.01.97.00.97.93.97.95.94
CJ.XJ.CJ. TJ. TJ.ZJ. TJ.TJ. ZJ.ZJ.YJ. XJ
4Jeepn is offline   Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 04:46 PM   #3
BT
Jeeper
 
BT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,175
Protection is way better in the family cage but that sport cage is classic Jeep and looks bad ass. That being said I would kinda like to swap a family cage into my 91 so I can run a cargo net like this.

http://www.smittybilt.com/images/pro...imary/91_1.jpg
__________________
"Shiny side up, Greasy side down"

"Where's the shiny side?"

"Brown side up, Greasy side down" - Piper54
BT is offline   Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 05:30 PM   #4
Moderator

::WF Moderator::
 
harleydragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: south georgia
Posts: 3,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by YJKid96 View Post
So I'm 17, and I just got my uncle's 95 yj and I'm looking at replacing the family cage with a sport style cage (the one with the rear bars at a 45 degree angle). I'm good at working on stuff and I know a fair amount about jeeps for someone who just got one. Does anybody know if this is doable on the budget and experience of a high schooler haha? I could always ask my best friend's dad for help since he has an 02 tj that he's done god knows what to, but I'd prefer to do it myself so I can learn more about my jeep!
yes,it is doable and not a problem to do unless the bolts are rusted into place.As you can see by the previous posts,many people prefer the type you have so trading it for the type that you like should not be a problem.I like the looks of the sport bars better myself
harleydragon is offline   Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 06:53 PM   #5
Newb
 
YJKid96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Lincoln, NE
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bta2011 View Post
Protection is way better in the family cage but that sport cage is classic Jeep and looks bad ass. That being said I would kinda like to swap a family cage into my 91 so I can run a cargo net like this. http://www.smittybilt.com/images/pro...imary/91_1.jpg
well I would offer to trade you but you live all the way in Ohio😕
__________________
My best friend's dad has an 02 TJ, he has a 95 XJ, and I just got a 95 YJ...our hanging out is a little different than most 17 year olds'😁
YJKid96 is offline   Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 06:54 PM   #6
Newb
 
YJKid96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Lincoln, NE
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by YJKid96 View Post
well I would offer to trade you but you live all the way in Ohiodde15
*ohio, dumb autocorrect

__________________
My best friend's dad has an 02 TJ, he has a 95 XJ, and I just got a 95 YJ...our hanging out is a little different than most 17 year olds'😁
YJKid96 is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:34 PM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2015 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC