The thread disintegrated along the Seam of my soft top. The hard plastic strip that slides into channel on roll bar was flapping. Causing it to tear more. All but about 2 inches had separated from the main part of top. The holes from original stitching were pretty much all intact on both the top and the plastic strip pieces.
I completely removed the old thread,
Took some of moms heavy duty sewing needles, some premium upholstery thread ( let's do this only once) matched up the holes and got to business. I made sure that both sides of seam had thread from each adjacent hole. This actually caused a pseudo pattern so that every other stitch was doubled up. Pretty sure this seam will outlast all others on the entire top.
You can see in the pics I have stuck the needle in the end of the repaired seam.
I fretted at one point, over having to replace the entire top. But as a typical Jeepster, I found a way to do it myself.