Thoughts on Repsraying - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > General Jeep Discussions > Builders Corner

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 06-25-2013, 02:31 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
adamfitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 620
Thoughts on Repsraying

Hey amigos. I have a 98 jeep wrangler that is in need of paint. The old owner spray painted it matte black just over the old paint which was a purple COLOR and over the finish too. It needs to be redone. Do you think it would be worth to do it professionally for money or has anyone else done things successfully and saved money but also won't come off if I run my fingernail on it. Any help would be awesome! Thanks ahead of time!

adamfitz is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-25-2013, 02:48 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
adamfitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 620
Anyone?

adamfitz is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-25-2013, 03:53 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
Walkingstick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 1,736
Bedline it. :-)
__________________
Make Sure Everyone is Dead within hearing and sight range. Only then, you can say any area is cleared.
Walkingstick is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-25-2013, 06:27 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
George C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Southwestern PA
Posts: 165
my jeep was a full color change, its hard to say what is worth things these days. If you will be in the woods and etc then a quick rope a dope may be in your budget. Mine was done as a favor for a buddy with budget materials but still came out looking great. SUmmit line of paint products was used
__________________
2000 Wrangler, 5.3 LSX swap, 5 speed with little bit of lift and some rumble
George C is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-25-2013, 07:56 PM   #5
Moderator

::WF Moderator::
 
harleydragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: south georgia
Posts: 3,908
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamfitz View Post
Hey amigos. I have a 98 jeep wrangler that is in need of paint. The old owner spray painted it matte black just over the old paint which was a purple COLOR and over the finish too. It needs to be redone. Do you think it would be worth to do it professionally for money or has anyone else done things successfully and saved money but also won't come off if I run my fingernail on it. Any help would be awesome! Thanks ahead of time!
I do my own paint jobs but if you don't have the ability to do a job properly then let someone do it that does..You will never regret having a job well done
harleydragon is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-26-2013, 04:44 AM   #6
Jeeper
 
adamfitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 620
Yeah I mean it's my DD but I'm also only 16 so money is a little bit of an issue. I'm bed lining the inside of it when I return home from vacation. Just it's worrying to pay 500$ for a 6 month warranty. :craziness
adamfitz is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-26-2013, 04:49 AM   #7
Jeeper
 
adamfitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 620
If I was to try and do it myself? What's the prep necessary and what do I use to like deal the paint after spraying it?
adamfitz is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-26-2013, 07:46 AM   #8
Moderator

::WF Moderator::
 
harleydragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: south georgia
Posts: 3,908
the majority of the prep is a whole lot of sanding but the finished job will only look as good as the surface that you spray..I use base coat/clear coat. the clear coat protects the color coat..even doing our own paint we spend 4 or 5 hundred on materials to get a super nice paint job.I also have a good bit of money invested in the equipment . to strip the vehicle down,sand it,do any body work,tape it,spray it,and reassemble it you end up with many hours of work. to have a shop do a top quality paint job is expensive but once you spend the time and money to do one yourself you can relate to the prices they charge
harleydragon is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-26-2013, 07:52 AM   #9
Jeeper
 
adamfitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleydragon View Post
the majority of the prep is a whole lot of sanding but the finished job will only look as good as the surface that you spray..I use base coat/clear coat. the clear coat protects the color coat..even doing our own paint we spend 4 or 5 hundred on materials to get a super nice paint job.I also have a good bit of money invested in the equipment . to strip the vehicle down,sand it,do any body work,tape it,spray it,and reassemble it you end up with many hours of work. to have a shop do a top quality paint job is expensive but once you spend the time and money to do one yourself you can relate to the prices they charge
What tools do you own to spray?
adamfitz is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-26-2013, 08:05 AM   #10
Moderator

::WF Moderator::
 
harleydragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: south georgia
Posts: 3,908
air compressor,paint guns,sanders and grinders for the most part
harleydragon is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-26-2013, 09:42 AM   #11
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
schnutzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: ring side seats to the the country's largest circus
Posts: 28,192
Send a message via AIM to schnutzy
some good reading in here: How to: Prep and Paint
__________________
clinging on to sanity, one motorcycle at a time.
schnutzy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-26-2013, 10:07 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
krisbman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Cheshire Oregon
Posts: 8,468
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamfitz View Post
Yeah I mean it's my DD but I'm also only 16 so money is a little bit of an issue. I'm bed lining the inside of it when I return home from vacation. Just it's worrying to pay 500$ for a 6 month warranty. :craziness
$500 for a 6 month warranty?
krisbman is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-27-2013, 03:55 AM   #13
Jeeper
 
adamfitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by krisbman View Post

$500 for a 6 month warranty?
For the respray and such it's 500$ and then the spray only has a 6 month warranty
adamfitz is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-27-2013, 09:28 AM   #14
Jeeper
 
krisbman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Cheshire Oregon
Posts: 8,468
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamfitz View Post

For the respray and such it's 500$ and then the spray only has a 6 month warranty
What do you expect for $500??? Your not gonna get me to supply materials and make 3-4 trips around your jeep with a spray gun in my hand for $500.
krisbman is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-27-2013, 04:07 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
JACK3D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Out in God's country
Posts: 541
I painted my entire jeep with Rustoleum spray paint. Everyone told me not to, how it would look horrible, wouldn't last... so on and so forth. Well I did it anyways, turned out very good, and has lasted perfectly. Only touch ups were after trips in the woods and paint getting scratched by trees. I used about 11 cans of spray paint, cost me about 8 bucks a can. I did the whole thing, including my rims for about $100.

Prep is important. I spent about 4 hours sanding mine down, and cleaning it. After i sanded, I cleaned with an alcohol based cleaner. Then wiped it clean with some shop towels. dried it off, and sprayed away.

If you want pics of my before and after let me know.
JACK3D is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-28-2013, 04:48 AM   #16
Jeeper
 
adamfitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by krisbman View Post

What do you expect for $500??? Your not gonna get me to supply materials and make 3-4 trips around your jeep with a spray gun in my hand for $500.
I don't know much about paint man. I don't know all THATS involved THATS why I'm asking. You can keep your little smart comments to yourself. I'm 16 and asking questions man. Good lord
adamfitz is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-28-2013, 04:49 AM   #17
Jeeper
 
adamfitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by JACK3D View Post
I painted my entire jeep with Rustoleum spray paint. Everyone told me not to, how it would look horrible, wouldn't last... so on and so forth. Well I did it anyways, turned out very good, and has lasted perfectly. Only touch ups were after trips in the woods and paint getting scratched by trees. I used about 11 cans of spray paint, cost me about 8 bucks a can. I did the whole thing, including my rims for about $100.

Prep is important. I spent about 4 hours sanding mine down, and cleaning it. After i sanded, I cleaned with an alcohol based cleaner. Then wiped it clean with some shop towels. dried it off, and sprayed away.

If you want pics of my before and after let me know.
Yeah man would you mind? Also did you use a sealer or anything?
adamfitz is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-28-2013, 08:40 AM   #18
Jeeper
 
JACK3D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Out in God's country
Posts: 541
Adamfitz- Here are a few before and afters. No I didn't use sealer or anything like that. All i used was rattle cans. Rustoleum flat black. Again, prep is the key, sand it down, and clean it well. When you spray, hold the can about 8-12 inches away and use an even sweeping motion. It's not difficult, just time consuming. Tape off anything you don't want to get over spray on. I also would recommend doing it with the top off. Let me know if you have any questions.

I kept the jeep "two toned" like you see in pic #3 for about three weeks. I liked it at first, anything to break up the red. Eventually, I just went all black, and like it much better. I'm actually thinking of going OD Green soon. That's the great thing about doing it yourself with rattle cans. If you don't like something, just re do it. Doesn't take much expertise, and I can have my jeep an entirely different color in a day, for about 100 bucks. Not bad, and much better than paying a shop to do it, and being stuck with it.
JACK3D is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-28-2013, 03:57 PM   #19
Moderator

::WF Moderator::
 
harleydragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: south georgia
Posts: 3,908
different people have different opinions on what is a good paint job..to me,any vehicle painted with rattle cans will not be very good
harleydragon is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-28-2013, 06:18 PM   #20
Jeeper
 
krisbman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Cheshire Oregon
Posts: 8,468
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleydragon View Post
different people have different opinions on what is a good paint job..to me,any vehicle painted with rattle cans will not be very good
X2. I love hearing about these spray bomb paint jobs that look killer
krisbman is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-28-2013, 07:03 PM   #21
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Mechanicsville, VA
Posts: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamfitz View Post
I don't know much about paint man. I don't know all THATS involved THATS why I'm asking. You can keep your little smart comments to yourself. I'm 16 and asking questions man. Good lord
Well if you read the above posts someone mentioned that it is a good 400-500 just for materials for a quality spray so using your deductive reasoning skills, which i know may not be developed fully since you are 16, one could surmise that paying 500 for an entire spray would probably involve either cheap materials, shortcuts, bad prep or a combination of them all.

Personally i wouldn't worry about painting it unless you really want to and i would save the money and put it towards something else. Paint to me is the last thing to be done.

I would also steer clear of rattle can jobs. I haven't seen one that looks as good as a bad professional spray.
Flyfisher76 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-28-2013, 07:12 PM   #22
Jeeper
 
JACK3D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Out in God's country
Posts: 541
If he wants to rattle can his jeep he can rattle can if. He wasn't asking for a bunch of people telling him how it will look bad. He was asking advice from those who have done it.

Like I posted above, multiple people told me how shitty mine would look if I did it. Well those people have now said that it looks good.

If you want to paint yourself, go for it.
JACK3D is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-28-2013, 08:38 PM   #23
Moderator

::WF Moderator::
 
harleydragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: south georgia
Posts: 3,908
as I said,everyone has their own opinion..this is one of my paint jobs..I had about 4 or 5 hundred in materials in it but it will hold up better and have a much higher gloss than a factory paint job..It is all in what you are looking for or can afford but this little jeep brought me a pretty good price..
harleydragon is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-28-2013, 08:43 PM   #24
Jeeper
 
JACK3D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Out in God's country
Posts: 541
Dragon.. That paint job would look great on a show car. Too shiny for my liking. I wouldn't put that much into a vehicle that I am going to drive through the woods.
JACK3D is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-28-2013, 08:59 PM   #25
Moderator

::WF Moderator::
 
harleydragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: south georgia
Posts: 3,908
I used the same materials that I do use on show bikes..there are several coats of really hard clear on it..the great thing as far as the woods goes is the hardness of the clear does not scratch easy and even if you get scratches , it doesn't go through the clear to the color coat.so, it can be buffed back out..these 2 different paint jobs will give the guy pics of the 2 extremes so maybe he can decide what he wants
harleydragon is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-29-2013, 04:28 AM   #26
Jeeper
 
adamfitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleydragon View Post
different people have different opinions on what is a good paint job..to me,any vehicle painted with rattle cans will not be very good
Yeah i mean mine is sprayed with rattle cans now and it's fading oddly and just coming off now
adamfitz is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-29-2013, 04:31 AM   #27
Jeeper
 
adamfitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleydragon View Post
I used the same materials that I do use on show bikes..there are several coats of really hard clear on it..the great thing as far as the woods goes is the hardness of the clear does not scratch easy and even if you get scratches , it doesn't go through the clear to the color coat.so, it can be buffed back out..these 2 different paint jobs will give the guy pics of the 2 extremes so maybe he can decide what he wants
I really like the clear coat you got on it. I think ill stay with the spray until I can afford a paint job that is in fact good and will last a long time. Thank you for all the help and thanks for helping me realise that painting is in fact more pricey then I had originally thought
adamfitz is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-29-2013, 07:11 AM   #28
Moderator

::WF Moderator::
 
harleydragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: south georgia
Posts: 3,908
yw//good luck with your jeep
harleydragon is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-16-2013, 10:15 PM   #29
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Whidbey Island, WA
Posts: 18
Monstaline it... seen it in person and it looks awesome
steeze is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-16-2013, 10:19 PM   #30
Jeeper
 
HillbillyJeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Nun yo gyatdamn biniz!
Posts: 1,043
Bedline it, none of that fancy spray on shit neither... Roll that bitch!

__________________
OUTHOUSE OFFROAD CLUB!!! We Do Shit!!


That was Purdy as hell right there!!!!

Uh.... dad... Uncle Jessie is crazy! Sooo cool though!
HillbillyJeeper is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:02 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC