Yj swap from 4cyl to v6 or v8? - Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > General Jeep Discussions > Builders Corner

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 06-09-2013, 12:19 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
Chuy562's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 103
Yj swap from 4cyl to v6 or v8?

Hi I was wondering if I buy a v6 or a v8 off a Cherokee would It bolt right on to my tranny?And wat else would I need? I have a 93 yj 4cyl 5 speed. Thanks for Ur help.

Chuy562 is offline   Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:35 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
Walkingstick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 1,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuy562 View Post
Hi I was wondering if I buy a v6 or a v8 off a Cherokee would It bolt right on to my tranny?And wat else would I need? I have a 93 yj 4cyl 5 speed. Thanks for Ur help.
Novak and Advanced Adapters make adapters.
First of all, you'll need to exactly what engines they are. I'm pretty sure that "v6" is just the normal Inline 6. But with either of those engines, scrap your tranny(assuming it is the AX4/AX5).

__________________
Make Sure Everyone is Dead within hearing and sight range. Only then, you can say any area is cleared.
Walkingstick is offline   Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 01:13 AM   #3
Jeeper
 
Chuy562's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkingstick View Post

Novak and Advanced Adapters make adapters.
First of all, you'll need to exactly what engines they are. I'm pretty sure that "v6" is just the normal Inline 6. But with either of those engines, scrap your tranny(assuming it is the AX4/AX5).
I'm thinking of getting a 6 inline. By scrap my tranny u mean get rid of it??
Chuy562 is offline   Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:22 AM   #4
Jeeper
 
Jeep_Gypsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Tightwad, Mo
Posts: 2,414
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuy562 View Post

I'm thinking of getting a 6 inline. By scrap my tranny u mean get rid of it??
Yea, you'll want an AX-15 or NV3550 they're both much better transmissions.
__________________
Jeeps, like fidgety little time bombs...
Jeep_Gypsy is offline   Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:49 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Adair Co. KY
Posts: 442
Then you will need a different transfer as the one mated to ax5 wont swap to the ax15, different input spline counts. Also your motor mounts will need to be changed. Then wiring and computer. There are multiple threads with good info on these swaps.
__________________
My 305 swap http://www.wranglerforum.com/f8/89-y...ad-256560.html
Debating a Chevy v8 swap? read this thread
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f330/ch...l#post10826122
kywaterman is offline   Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:42 AM   #6
Jeeper
 
Walkingstick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 1,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by kywaterman View Post
Then you will need a different transfer as the one mated to ax5 wont swap to the ax15, different input spline counts. Also your motor mounts will need to be changed. Then wiring and computer. There are multiple threads with good info on these swaps.
You can get bigger splines for the tcase behind the AX5 though. Pretty sure of it.
__________________
Make Sure Everyone is Dead within hearing and sight range. Only then, you can say any area is cleared.
Walkingstick is offline   Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 01:33 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
Chuy562's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 103
Thanks guys Ur very helpful.. :-)
Chuy562 is offline   Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:21 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
Chuy562's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 103
I'm getting 14 bolt diff and Dana 44 diff with Chevy transfer case so now I'm ganna do a Chevy 350 v8 and Chevy Trans..
Chuy562 is offline   Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:06 AM   #9
Jeeper
 
Walkingstick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 1,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuy562 View Post
I'm getting 14 bolt diff and Dana 44 diff with Chevy transfer case so now I'm ganna do a Chevy 350 v8 and Chevy Trans..
Awesome, cool deal and good luck man!

__________________
Make Sure Everyone is Dead within hearing and sight range. Only then, you can say any area is cleared.
Walkingstick is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:30 PM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2015 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC