glad to see such a great site for wrangler information. i am looking to get into my first wrangler. i will be purchasing a wrangler unlimited and getting the hardtop
why i love this site already...
i am now sure on the complete tow package
and the 2012 because of the engine
1. do i get leather seats? ($1200) or custom pleather covers (coverking) ($600) which are removeable if they get messed up or realllllly dirty?
2. i am buying new... and i am in wisconsin (salt hello). do i get a rust coating (ziebart or the dealership) for the underbody? lots of debate here, few answers
3. i am looking at an exhaust, probably flowmaster 40... but which flowmaster 40 (there are tons that are 2.5 in )
4. plasti dip rims looks cool, but i want powder coat... what should i expect to pay for powdercoating my rims black?
5. i will be getting custom bumpers (probably wild boar), winch (hopefully warn), tint, fenders, rock rails (probably smittybilt)... should i get the car in black or crimson (all accessories are going to be black or matt black except winch). i have had a lot of trouble seeing pictures of tricked out crimson wranglers
Welcome.. lots of good questions. Here's my insight (for what it's worth):
1. I'd go with leather and get some super nice neoprene covers (like the rugged ridge ones) that go over them. Will save your seats, look good and still give you the support and firmness that leather seats are known for.
2. Get the dealer undercoat, confirm the warranty it comes with and hold them to it if you need it.
3. Not much love for aftermarket exhausts here because they tend to be overpriced for what they actually do. You're not driving a sports car so unless you have a V8 powered wrangler, a high end exhaust probably won't net you a whole lot of HP gains.
4. Depends on the rims, the location in the country, the color and type of powdercoat, etc. I know my buddy that does powdercoat says he gets about $100/wheel for up to 17 inch wheels, assuming they are dismounted, free of tires and clean when he gets them. He usually requires them to be blasted clean before he'll take them.
5. That's up to you on color. For me, I love the black and would go that way.
Denis A. Baldwin
1991 YJ 2.5L, 1" BD MML, 14 Bolt Rear, Dana 60 Front, 5.13 Gears, Detroit Lockers, 37ss, Cherokee Offset Springs (10" front to back stretch total), Bilstein 5150s, 1in. BL, custom cage, Warn M8000, Double D Dash/OHC, 4Low Front Stinger Bumper, DirtWorx Rear Bumper WTC, Tube Fenders, Comp Cut, 1 Ton HD Kingpin High Steering and PAID FOR.