sPOD has just became a sponsoring vendor here on the great WF!
Just a quick introduction for y'all:
sPOD-guy has been in this hobby we call Jeeping for about 28 years...my first Jeep was a 1978 CJ-5 that I wheeled the western US in (no trailer queen), next I built a 1947 Willys Flatfender that I drove and wheeled everywhere as well. Now I'm in the 21st century (almost) with my 2003 TJ Rubicon! (that's going up for sale this week), my wife's 2011 JKU Rubicon and my new 2012 JK Rubicon. (a very sick disease)
Now about the sPOD systems:
sPOD has been manufacturing the systems for just over 6 years. (right here in California)!
The sPOD system is actually a very simple system that only uses the vehicles battery for it's power and does not attach to any of the OEM electrics!
Basically our systems are sold as complete and turn-key systems.
All of the parts we manufacture are made right here in the good ole USA.
1) 6 Circuits
2) 6 - 40 amp Relays
3) 6 fuses
4) 6 diodes (to protect sensitive electrical accessories such as LED lights, HAM radios GPS Etc ETC from field collapse
5) Deutsch & Hirose interconnects for attachment to the switch harness and to the power control harness. These connectors are not the cheap weather-pack type, these are the type used in heavy equipment in the automotive industry.
6) ALL of our harnesses are wrapped in a composite braiding that protects the wire harnesses from environmental damage due to extreme temperatures or abrasion, while offering flexibility for ease of installation.
7) All connectors are of aerospace quality.
8) All sheet metal components are made in a precision sheet metal house. All machined parts are formed, welded, powder coated, part numbered, inspected, date stamped and logged into a book with the inspectors stamp on them.
9) the Source cover is deep image anodized! The images you see on the cover are embedded right into the aluminum itself!.
10) The machined base for the circuit board is made on a 3 axis machining center and is made from a billet pc of TecaPro MT.
11) All press in hardware we used is hardware that is ISO certified suppliers.
12) all hardware supplied is stainless steel.
13) The two power leads for battery connections are copper 8AWG high quantity multi-strand in silicone jacket and then wrapped in nylon!
14) We supply a 50 amp auto reset circuit breaker to protect our Source.
15) a inline fuse is supplied to protect the switches.
16) All connectors on the Source side have shrink tubing added over each crimped connector.
17) The switches we purchase and use in our systems are Carling Technologies Contura Style switches that are rated with an IP67 - IP68 rating!
This rating applies to front panel components and signifies protection against dust and the prolonged effects of immersion under pressure. The standard test for immersion under pressure requires submersion under one meter of water for 30 minutes.
Our original test consisted of submersing our relay control module "Source" unit in a vat of salt water for 72 hours, removing from the salty water and then running a 396 chevy starter motor on it for another 48 hours! We spiked an amazing 185amps!
That was 5 1/2 years ago with over a 1,000 system sold world wide without a single problem caused by the elements! As a matter of fact, I am running the test unit to this day in my 2003 TJ Rubicon! It looks like crap...but still works!
We also use dielectric gel on all the contacts of the relays to help prevent corrosion.
If something where to fail on the Source due to water damage, we will replace it for just the cost of shipping both ways.
The object behind our system is to eliminate all those relays, wires, fuses and various switches and to stay away from the OEM electrics. Our harness is bundled up to a very small diameter. You only need to come into the cab via a small existing hole. Our systems come fully assembled ready to install!