Hella E-Codes and DDM Tuning HIDs - installed - Page 3 - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > General Jeep Discussions > Off Road and External Lighting

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 03-14-2013, 12:21 AM   #61
Jeeper
 
InvertChaos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NoVa
Posts: 7,911
This thread needs more pics

__________________
|2004 Jeep TJ "Green Machine"|4.0L 5 speed Dana44|33x12.50x15 Goodyear Duratracs|2.5" RC coils + 1.25" body lift|OME NitroSport shocks|4.56 gears|Skid Row Engine Skid|BCC Sliders|Currie AntiRock|
InvertChaos is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-25-2013, 01:26 PM   #62
Jeeper
 
viperx6x9x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Norfolk Va.
Posts: 1,076
Well heres some more pics then. Or at least one to show why my lights weren't working right. Figured it out finally.

If you notice the blue bar in the pic is 180 degrees difference in the 2 bulbs. The one on the left (my passenger side bulb) was doing the opposite of the position my hi/lo beam switch was in.

There are 2 screws in the front. Take them out and flip the housing around so it is oriented like the bulb on the right. BE CAREFULL NOT TO TOUCH THE BULB WITH YOUR BARE HAND. somehow when the housing is flipped 180 degrees out like mine was it reverses the polarity of the magnet or something.

Also for clarification mine is a hi/lo 55w kit from DDM.

So if anybody else has HID's that the HI/Lo beams act opposite of the position your headlight switch is in, this is why. The magnet is somehow flipped 180 degrees.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bulbs.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	192.0 KB
ID:	227283  

__________________
War does not determine who is right, it determines who is left.
viperx6x9x is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-14-2013, 12:33 AM   #63
Jeeper
 
OhSixTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by viperx6x9x View Post
Some light shots, for comparison mine are the 6000k 55w.

So just for reference, the house is roughly 30 feet from the driveway. And headlight shots were standing on porch so those are roughly 30 feet too.

Maybe my stocks were just that bad, but the new ones are an amazing difference, you couldn't even see the house in the before shots.
The reason you can see more of the house is because its being lit up from the glare of the HIDs because they are in a housing/lens that was not made for HIDs. This is also why you are being flashed by oncoming vehicles. The glare produced by HIDs in non-HID specific headlight housings is annoying.
OhSixTJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-14-2013, 05:15 AM   #64
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 426
You simply cannot successfully convert a Halogen reflector to use HID bulbs. It does not provide safe and legal light. It does dazzle oncoming drivers.

Do the rest of us a favor - use H4 haloben bulbs in halogen reflectors. Please.
__________________
Gary
1967 Kaiser Commando
2001 Grand Cherokee WJ
2003 Rubicon TJ
KaiserJeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-14-2013, 05:46 PM   #65
Jeeper
 
viperx6x9x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Norfolk Va.
Posts: 1,076
It's fine now that one of them isn't always on high beam. Thats why people were flashing me. I would flash somebody with a high beam in my face too, even if it was the useless factory bulbs pointed at me.

They are not called H4 housings because the reflector is made for an H4 bulb only (it's a generic circle, there's only 1 way to reflect light), they are called H4 because they are made for an H4 bulb specifically to fit into them. H4 E-code housings are not DOT legal no matter what bulb you put in them, we are all starting off illegal before we even put a bulb in it. The reflectors are designed to take light projected outwards from the circumference of a bulb and reflect it forward. Both Halogens and HID's emit light in this way, along with any other bulb that is straight and tube shaped. Only difference is HID's are brighter and they last longer. You can still get just as much glare out of higher wattage halogen bulbs such as the IPF Fatboys for an example. Don't be so quick to judge the glare on HID's, it could just as easily be a halogen blinding you.

You just have to aim the things right, and most modern cars don't give you the ability to aim them. All those little civics and such running around with HID bulbs that they cannot aim correctly are what is giving HID bulbs a bad name. The fortunate thing about a TJ is you CAN aim them correctly.
__________________
War does not determine who is right, it determines who is left.
viperx6x9x is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-14-2013, 07:15 PM   #66
Jeeper
 
OhSixTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,110
Compare the filament location between hid and regular bulbs. They're not in the same spot so the reflector doesn't aim the light the same way. THAT is the difference that makes them annoying.
OhSixTJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-14-2013, 07:29 PM   #67
Jeeper
 
viperx6x9x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Norfolk Va.
Posts: 1,076
There is no filament in an HID.
__________________
War does not determine who is right, it determines who is left.
viperx6x9x is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-14-2013, 08:37 PM   #68
Jeeper
 
OhSixTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by viperx6x9x View Post
There is no filament in an HID.
Ok, the location of the light source. You and everyone else know what I meant. Move along.
OhSixTJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-15-2013, 02:21 AM   #69
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by viperx6x9x View Post
It's fine now that one of them isn't always on high beam. Thats why people were flashing me. I would flash somebody with a high beam in my face too, even if it was the useless factory bulbs pointed at me.

They are not called H4 housings because the reflector is made for an H4 bulb only (it's a generic circle, there's only 1 way to reflect light), they are called H4 because they are made for an H4 bulb specifically to fit into them. H4 E-code housings are not DOT legal no matter what bulb you put in them, we are all starting off illegal before we even put a bulb in it. The reflectors are designed to take light projected outwards from the circumference of a bulb and reflect it forward. Both Halogens and HID's emit light in this way, along with any other bulb that is straight and tube shaped. Only difference is HID's are brighter and they last longer. You can still get just as much glare out of higher wattage halogen bulbs such as the IPF Fatboys for an example. Don't be so quick to judge the glare on HID's, it could just as easily be a halogen blinding you.

You just have to aim the things right, and most modern cars don't give you the ability to aim them. All those little civics and such running around with HID bulbs that they cannot aim correctly are what is giving HID bulbs a bad name. The fortunate thing about a TJ is you CAN aim them correctly.
No matter what you do, you can not aim a reflector housing with an HID bulb to keep it from glaring like crazy. And the reference to the filament is mainly the reason why. And halogen bulbs & HID bulbs do not emit in the same way or direction. A halogen bulb has a tubeular straight light source, while an HID capsule has a plasma arc. So there is now way to aim an arc light source in a halogen reflector housing. And many halogen bulbs have a filament that is sideways inside the glass, while a HID is longways.
Here's a paragraph from the Daniel Stern Lighting website on HIDs in reflector housings to give you an idea.
Quote:
The most dangerous part of the attempt to "retrofit" Xenon headlamps is that sometimes you get a deceptive and illusory "improvement" in the performance of the headlamp. The performance of the headlamp is perceived to be "better" because of the much higher level of foreground lighting (on the road immediately in front of the car). However, the beam patterns produced by this kind of "conversion" virtually always give less distance light, and often an alarming lack of light where there's meant to be a relative maximum in light intensity. The result is the illusion that you can see better than you actually can, and that's not safe.
Heres the website for more info on lighting. Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply Really good reading if you truely have an open mind on the subject of lighting. It should open your eyes to what good lighting is & why.
__________________
ASE Certified Master Tech
Chrysler Certified Tech - bringing you info straight from the stealership on the cheap.
crawlin_archer is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-22-2013, 04:23 AM   #70
Jeeper
 
InvisiblePants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 517
Images: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlin_archer View Post
No matter what you do, you can not aim a reflector housing with an HID bulb to keep it from glaring like crazy. And the reference to the filament is mainly the reason why. And halogen bulbs & HID bulbs do not emit in the same way or direction. A halogen bulb has a tubeular straight light source, while an HID capsule has a plasma arc. So there is now way to aim an arc light source in a halogen reflector housing. And many halogen bulbs have a filament that is sideways inside the glass, while a HID is longways.
Here's a paragraph from the Daniel Stern Lighting website on HIDs in reflector housings to give you an idea.

Heres the website for more info on lighting. Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply Really good reading if you truely have an open mind on the subject of lighting. It should open your eyes to what good lighting is & why.
You sir and OhsixTJ are correct . I wish more people actually knew what they were talking about with hids vs halogens. Glare from hids in halogen housing sucks.

No matter how hard people try to aim their lights, they will never be able to control all of the scattered light from the hid arc.

The only true way to do it is a proper projector retrofit with projectors designed for hid use. I did a retro on my old lancer bc the glare in the reflector housing was out of control. I learned many things doing that retro, the biggest lesson was to leave hids alone. I spent countless hours on the hidplanet forums researching before i made the jump. It was fun, but i will not undertake the project again.
InvisiblePants is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-24-2013, 08:59 AM   #71
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 112
Yes it is quite crazy the amount of misinformation out there about HID lighting. And a true projector retrofit is the only way to go with HIDs. I am on HIDPlanet a good bit & I got a lot of my info from there on how to do retrofits. It's not a simple process & quality HID kits don't sell for $45 either.
__________________
ASE Certified Master Tech
Chrysler Certified Tech - bringing you info straight from the stealership on the cheap.
crawlin_archer is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-24-2013, 10:35 PM   #72
Jeeper
 
InvertChaos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NoVa
Posts: 7,911
Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisiblePants View Post

You sir and OhsixTJ are correct . I wish more people actually knew what they were talking about with hids vs halogens. Glare from hids in halogen housing sucks.

No matter how hard people try to aim their lights, they will never be able to control all of the scattered light from the hid arc.

The only true way to do it is a proper projector retrofit with projectors designed for hid use. I did a retro on my old lancer bc the glare in the reflector housing was out of control. I learned many things doing that retro, the biggest lesson was to leave hids alone. I spent countless hours on the hidplanet forums researching before i made the jump. It was fun, but i will not undertake the project again.
I'm planning on doing a projector retrofit this summer. My friend did a very, very professional job with his retrofit in his civic. It has a really sharp cut off line and they're really bright. The jeep should be easier.
__________________
|2004 Jeep TJ "Green Machine"|4.0L 5 speed Dana44|33x12.50x15 Goodyear Duratracs|2.5" RC coils + 1.25" body lift|OME NitroSport shocks|4.56 gears|Skid Row Engine Skid|BCC Sliders|Currie AntiRock|
InvertChaos is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-19-2013, 01:23 PM   #73
Jeeper
 
GlobalResponder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 36
DDM is located in Vegas

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperx6x9x View Post
This is interesting. I thought DDM was in california, but the tracking in usps says it is coming from Suzhou China. I passed up a less expensive Japanese HID kit on Ebay because I thought I was buying USA made here.

oh well.
DDM is actually located in Las Vegas. But you're right about something, they're not American made. It's a Chinese product, but packaged and distributed here in the U.S.
GlobalResponder is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-19-2013, 01:57 PM   #74
Jeeper
 
GlobalResponder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 36
Okay, after reading this entire post. Is there a quality HID projector that can adequately be used with these HID retrofits? That would seem like a logical solution to the HID glare from a Halogen projector wouldn't it?
One afterthought too, what about those Brow rings? Would that help keep some of the light from scattering high into people's rear window?
As well, nobody ever discusses the fact that simply putting a suspension lift on your Jeep changes your whole lighting as well.
I read through the Quadratec Headlamp adjustment page, but it's not clear just how high the headlamp beam should be from the ground? Am I misunderstanding something? Shouldn't there be a specific height the beams should be at when you're backed up 25' form the wall as the instructions state?

Thanks in advance for your input.
GlobalResponder is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-21-2013, 05:31 PM   #75
Jeeper
 
InvertChaos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NoVa
Posts: 7,911
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlobalResponder View Post
Okay, after reading this entire post. Is there a quality HID projector that can adequately be used with these HID retrofits? That would seem like a logical solution to the HID glare from a Halogen projector wouldn't it?
One afterthought too, what about those Brow rings? Would that help keep some of the light from scattering high into people's rear window?
As well, nobody ever discusses the fact that simply putting a suspension lift on your Jeep changes your whole lighting as well.
I read through the Quadratec Headlamp adjustment page, but it's not clear just how high the headlamp beam should be from the ground? Am I misunderstanding something? Shouldn't there be a specific height the beams should be at when you're backed up 25' form the wall as the instructions state?

Thanks in advance for your input.
I've been doing some research and this is my plan for a safe and awesome hid projector retrofit:

Morimoto Mini h1 kit from theretrofitsource.com should come with every piece needed for the projectors needed

Either hella housings, eBay housings, or jk housings with a metal or plastic back.

Cut the back of the housing open and fit the projector and replace the wiring from the light back.
__________________
|2004 Jeep TJ "Green Machine"|4.0L 5 speed Dana44|33x12.50x15 Goodyear Duratracs|2.5" RC coils + 1.25" body lift|OME NitroSport shocks|4.56 gears|Skid Row Engine Skid|BCC Sliders|Currie AntiRock|
InvertChaos is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-28-2013, 11:04 AM   #76
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 203
__________________
2011 JKU Rubicon, RK Pro Long with 2.0rr's, Synergy 5" coils, King bump stops, 40" Trail Grapplers, Allied Monster Beadlocks. Poison Spyder trail cage and RockBrawler rear, Expedition One's Stubby Core Series Front Bumper, ORO Swayloc, Currie Antirock, PR 60-80 5.38 ARB's, Much more..
caryt is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-06-2013, 12:46 AM   #77
Jeeper
 
InvertChaos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NoVa
Posts: 7,911
Ordered my JK housings today, the retrofit kit tomorrow. I'll put up a build thread as things progress.
__________________
|2004 Jeep TJ "Green Machine"|4.0L 5 speed Dana44|33x12.50x15 Goodyear Duratracs|2.5" RC coils + 1.25" body lift|OME NitroSport shocks|4.56 gears|Skid Row Engine Skid|BCC Sliders|Currie AntiRock|
InvertChaos is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-13-2014, 10:39 AM   #78
Jeeper
 
Ben133's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 88
I am looking at the 55watt 5000k kid and I have the e codes with some sylvania zxe bulbs now and looking for a brighter upgrade. So with the higher wattage they will still be white? I don't want any blue, I want a bright white. Pictures appreciated
Ben133 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-13-2014, 02:01 PM   #79
Jeeper
 
OhSixTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben133 View Post
I am looking at the 55watt 5000k kid and I have the e codes with some sylvania zxe bulbs now and looking for a brighter upgrade. So with the higher wattage they will still be white? I don't want any blue, I want a bright white. Pictures appreciated
They should be closer to white than blue. Especially at 55w.
OhSixTJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-14-2014, 11:45 AM   #80
Jeeper
 
Ben133's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhSixTJ View Post
They should be closer to white than blue. Especially at 55w.
Ok thanks

Ben133 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:57 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC