I wanted to mount some previously purchased LED lights on my JKUR's A-pillars to get some additional light.
I checked out a number of brackets and decided to go with the KC HiLites model 7317 which mount on the outside of the pillar as I hoped their location would help reduce the reflection/glare off the hood.
Here's the Model # 7317 pic from KC HiLites:
I installed them and was unhappy with the brackets for 2 reasons:
1. The brackets were produced using a 90 degree angle and when mounted to the slightly angled JK's windshield pillar, it didn't provide a flat mounting point for the lights.
2. KC didn't provide gaskets to I had to purchase rubber gasket material at Home Depot and cut the sheets which I used in between the brackets and the JK's A-pillar.
Here's what the installation looked like - you can see how the 90 angle of the brackets and the angled A-pillar caused the lights to be tilted:
You can see the gasket material and other related info here:
JK Windshield Light Mounting Brackets
Needless to say, I was disappointed and I decided that, instead of taking the brackets back, I'd send KC HiLites an email with pictures and explain the situation as I figured they'd want to know about what I think is a design flaw.
One week later (in October 2013), I received this email:
Thanks for supplying the detailed information the JK bracket. Our team has taken a look at these issues and are in the process of re-designing the bracket. Once completed, we will supply are new set to you.
We apologize for the inconvenience.
Ron Pryczynski | Nat’l Sales Manager
KC HiLiTES, Inc.
IMO, that was a very cool response - about as good as I could have expected.
Well, it didn't take them long to do what Ron said they'd do. They re-designed the brackets and sent me a new set which I just received (about 60 days after Ron's email). Here are the results:
* New brackets with a non-square (not 90 degree angle) to compensate for the JK's A-pillar angle.
* Thicker brackets - the previous ones were very stout with a nice powder coated finish. These brackets are slightly thicker and have an even better powder coated finish.
* Black rubber gasket material included! A complete package!
Ron and the KC HiLites team came through with a re-designed product (which apparently uses the same part number and installation instructions) in short order. Here are some pics of the previous ("square") brackets and the new angled brackets with gaskets and KC sticker...
Pic of the old "square" brackets (top) and new "angled" brackets (bottom) with gaskets and KC sticker. Notice the new brackets are thicker steel and they have a matte (less glossy) powder coat finish:
Here you can see the new KC brackets by themselves along with the rubber gasket material and sticker - a complete set of high-quality light brackets from KC HiLites:
And, for anyone wondering, while the bracket location mounts the lights to the outside, the lights do not interfere with the mirrors when the doors are opened as you can see from the pic posted by Fooddude:
IMO it's a great product from a terrific American company that has been in the industry for over 40 years. Thanks Ron and KC HiLites for working to quickly improve an already great product design!