New KC HiLiTES LED's against it's competitors - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > General Tech Forums > Off Road and External Lighting

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 01-19-2014, 10:50 AM   #1
Jeeper
 
HSKR4X4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Scotchdale
Posts: 345
New KC HiLiTES LED's against it's competitors

Since I had to pull my KC HiLiTES 7" H4 upgrades to do new install, I only did the KC HiLiTES LED's against IPF's and Trucklites. In the next week or so I will do a competition again stock and the KC H4 upgrades.

From left to right

Trucklites, IPF's, KC HiLiTES LED's






Trucklites against KC HiLiTES LED's

(Low beam)



(High beam)






IPF's against KC HiLiTES LED's

(Low beam)



(High beam)




Rigid Industries against KC HiLiTES LED's

Dually's



50" SR Series



10" SR Series





HSKR4X4 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-19-2014, 10:57 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
HSKR4X4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Scotchdale
Posts: 345

HSKR4X4 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-21-2014, 10:32 AM   #3
Jeeper
 
staticz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Kansas
Posts: 63
Perfect timing. I've been debating the KC H4 upgrade with a pair of H4 ZXE's versus spending the extra $300 on Truck Lites of KC LEDs.

Is the move from H4 to LED really worth the extra $300? Would you recommend the H4 upgrade at all, if cost is a determining factor? Especially the H4 versus a stock bulb.

Thanks for the write up and comparisons!
staticz is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-21-2014, 01:10 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Alaska
Posts: 110
Nice demo of the missing visible spectrum in LED's. the IPF's are the only ones able to show the dark red bricks in the wall. I was telling a friend about this maybe a year ago how everything looks gray under some LED lighting because it doesn't have the same type of output as halogen/HID. It makes your eyes struggle to see what's what. Yeah, you see stuff, but it's difficult to distinguish what is illuminated... With a basketball rolling out in front of you, using the IPF's are the only time where you would instantly say, that's a basketball. Under the other lights, it would be a round gray object until you figured it out.
jackor is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-22-2014, 02:02 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
HSKR4X4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Scotchdale
Posts: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by staticz View Post
Perfect timing. I've been debating the KC H4 upgrade with a pair of H4 ZXE's versus spending the extra $300 on Truck Lites of KC LEDs.

Is the move from H4 to LED really worth the extra $300? Would you recommend the H4 upgrade at all, if cost is a determining factor? Especially the H4 versus a stock bulb.

Thanks for the write up and comparisons!
Here is the link for the h4 upgrade KCs with ZXE bulbs
FULL SYLVANIA BULB SWAP!! (NEW KC HiLiTES 7" LIGHTS IN PHOTOS)

I really liked that upgrade, but the LEDs that I have now are no match. It's like driving a Honda Civic then a Mclaren and asking yourself which one you liked better
HSKR4X4 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-22-2014, 02:05 AM   #6
Jeeper
 
HSKR4X4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Scotchdale
Posts: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackor View Post
Nice demo of the missing visible spectrum in LED's. the IPF's are the only ones able to show the dark red bricks in the wall. I was telling a friend about this maybe a year ago how everything looks gray under some LED lighting because it doesn't have the same type of output as halogen/HID. It makes your eyes struggle to see what's what. Yeah, you see stuff, but it's difficult to distinguish what is illuminated... With a basketball rolling out in front of you, using the IPF's are the only time where you would instantly say, that's a basketball. Under the other lights, it would be a round gray object until you figured it out.
But with these lights I can see further out where there could be a kid in street that the IPFs you wouldn't notice until a lot closer. No offense but if anything comes out into road I slow down if not stop. So the more real color of say a basketball does nothing for me. I'd rather see a deer 100 yards out not 20 feet ya know
HSKR4X4 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-23-2014, 02:09 AM   #7
Jeeper
 
TRAUMAhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Cen Cal
Posts: 533
I'm liking the KC. Looks brighter than Truck-lites, no V hot spots, but it's throwing a bit more upward lightning.
TRAUMAhead is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-23-2014, 08:23 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 25
Damn - looks way better than the TLs I just installed last week. My biggest problem with them is the YY pattern but these look even brighter in your photos.

Would you say they are as good as they look in your photos? I might return the TLs and fork over the extra $150 to get rid of that awful YY pattern.
MK153 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-24-2014, 11:42 AM   #9
Jeeper
 
J Gand's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 172
I just installed my TLs, and now I'm kinda wanting these KCs. Ugh.
J Gand is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-24-2014, 12:21 PM   #10
Upside-down Disorder
 
InvertChaos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NoVa
Posts: 7,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackor View Post
Nice demo of the missing visible spectrum in LED's. the IPF's are the only ones able to show the dark red bricks in the wall. I was telling a friend about this maybe a year ago how everything looks gray under some LED lighting because it doesn't have the same type of output as halogen/HID. It makes your eyes struggle to see what's what. Yeah, you see stuff, but it's difficult to distinguish what is illuminated... With a basketball rolling out in front of you, using the IPF's are the only time where you would instantly say, that's a basketball. Under the other lights, it would be a round gray object until you figured it out.
Very interesting. I've noticed that colors aren't as easy to see with my HIDs compared to halogens, but it's not gray like the led lights above.
__________________
|2004 Jeep TJ "Green Machine"|4.0L 5 speed Dana44|33x12.50x15 Goodyear Duratracs|2.5" RC coils + 1.25" body lift|OME NitroSport shocks|4.56 gears|Skid Row Engine Skid|BCC Sliders|Currie AntiRock|
InvertChaos is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-24-2014, 06:26 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
ben04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: SoCal
Posts: 51
Great write-up! I have been waiting to get some feedback on these before picking up a pair of Truck-Lites. Looks like the wait was worth it.
ben04 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-25-2014, 09:43 AM   #12
Newb
 
p18303's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Chicago burbs
Posts: 9
Nice write up. I am very interested in the KC lights. I know it is DOT legal, but have you had people flash you because of the brightness? Lighting looks pretty intense in the center. Thanks!
p18303 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-25-2014, 02:59 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by MK153 View Post
I might return the TLs and fork over the extra $150 to get rid of that awful YY pattern.
Just talked to Discount Fleet Supply and they said they can get these (well the original Peterson 701c that these are made from) for $399 shipped.

So it would be only ~$60 more for me to return the TLs and get these - do you think they are better?
MK153 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-25-2014, 04:45 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
ben04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: SoCal
Posts: 51
Does that DFS $399 price include the anti-flicker harness? The KC system includes anti-flicker in the $499 price from Quadratec.
ben04 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-25-2014, 06:26 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben04 View Post
Does that DFS $399 price include the anti-flicker harness? The KC system includes anti-flicker in the $499 price from Quadratec.
Sure about that? I don't think it does from reading the description on Quadratec.

DFS's price is just the headlights.
MK153 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-25-2014, 06:31 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
ben04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: SoCal
Posts: 51
Yes. The description on the KC website says it's got integrated anti-flicker wiring. I wonder if the Peterson model is wired the same.
ben04 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-25-2014, 10:08 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
ben04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: SoCal
Posts: 51
From kchilites.com:

"State-of-the-art optics and diode technology provide a (flicker free) crisp beam with a wider, more even pattern and a color temperature that closely matches natural daylight."
ben04 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-28-2014, 06:08 AM   #18
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 25
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK153 View Post
...return the TLs and get these - do you think they are better?
HSKR4X4 - Would love your opinion on this - you appear to be the only person with experience with both.

Beam uniformity is important to me - and I can't really tell from the photo.
MK153 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-28-2014, 08:48 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by p18303 View Post
have you had people flash you because of the brightness?
I'm curious about this as well... I have people flash me just with my stock headlight... Guess that just happens when lifted vehicles approach cars low to the ground
flomingo is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-29-2014, 11:58 AM   #20
Jeeper
 
TRAUMAhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Cen Cal
Posts: 533
Spread shots of the Peterson 701c. Hot spots look more like a uniformed like an 8. Looks like the right head light is aimed up higher. High beams are kind of weird with the light it puts directly in front of the car. Doesn't look like it puts as much lights to the side either. Pretty much the only other shots of these lights other than this thread that I could find.

6 Down Road Low Photo 10
7 Down Road High Photo 11
TRAUMAhead is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-29-2014, 11:48 PM   #21
Jeeper
 
HSKR4X4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Scotchdale
Posts: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by MK153 View Post
HSKR4X4 - Would love your opinion on this - you appear to be the only person with experience with both.

Beam uniformity is important to me - and I can't really tell from the photo.
The KCs are hands down brighter than the Trucklites but the hi beams are similar (which you will see in photos) the KCs come with the anti flicker harness already integrated so you will not have to purchase anything else. My stock lights had a very slight flicker since day one, but with these ZERO!
I haven't had once person flash me, give me finger or anything but I also have my lights aimed lower to match lift so I'm not burning bald heads at stop lights lol. I have full install write up as well if anyone is needing. The install is cake and show honestly take you under 30 minutes. Hopefully that answered everyone's questions, but if you have anything else I'd be glad to answer
HSKR4X4 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-29-2014, 11:49 PM   #22
Jeeper
 
HSKR4X4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Scotchdale
Posts: 345
I actually posted at top install write up but here it is again

KC HiLiTES NEW 7" LED HEADLIGHTS!
HSKR4X4 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-30-2014, 01:23 AM   #23
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSKR4X4 View Post
The KCs are hands down brighter than the Trucklites but the hi beams are similar (which you will see in photos) the KCs come with the anti flicker harness already integrated so you will not have to purchase anything else. My stock lights had a very slight flicker since day one, but with these ZERO!
I haven't had once person flash me, give me finger or anything but I also have my lights aimed lower to match lift so I'm not burning bald heads at stop lights lol. I have full install write up as well if anyone is needing. The install is cake and show honestly take you under 30 minutes. Hopefully that answered everyone's questions, but if you have anything else I'd be glad to answer
Thanks! They definitely look brighter - but how about the beam? Does it look blotchy or have much variation in dark/hot spots? Main reason for switching would be to eliminate the YY pattern in the TLs.
MK153 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-30-2014, 05:04 AM   #24
Jeeper
 
IcarusLSC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 617
Those look to scatter a lot of light up?

I like the idea of LED's, but up here they would be useless in the winter as they don't produce the heat to keep snow/ice off 'em in the winter months...
__________________
Ϣr
IcarusLSC is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-30-2014, 05:11 AM   #25
Jeeper
 
HSKR4X4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Scotchdale
Posts: 345
It looks like it scatters in a bad way but it doesn't. The hot spot is awesome, and doesn't just bleed out. I will try to take some pics on a dark non lit rd tonight and post pics from driver seat.
HSKR4X4 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-30-2014, 05:14 AM   #26
Jeeper
 
HSKR4X4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Scotchdale
Posts: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcarusLSC View Post
Those look to scatter a lot of light up?

I like the idea of LED's, but up here they would be useless in the winter as they don't produce the heat to keep snow/ice off 'em in the winter months...

Not to go against KC but Truckites makes what you are wanting. I've heard they look like crap in person but everyone has their own opinions

Truck-Lite 07496 Self Defrosting 7" LED Headlamp | Offroad Elements
HSKR4X4 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-30-2014, 05:17 AM   #27
Jeeper
 
IcarusLSC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 617
Cool, that would be neat! Price is still a lot for the LEDs, but it's coming down at least
__________________
Ϣr
IcarusLSC is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-30-2014, 04:10 PM   #28
Jeeper
 
TRAUMAhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Cen Cal
Posts: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSKR4X4 View Post
It looks like it scatters in a bad way but it doesn't. The hot spot is awesome, and doesn't just bleed out. I will try to take some pics on a dark non lit rd tonight and post pics from driver seat.
Can you get some close up cut off pics too?
TRAUMAhead is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-31-2014, 12:29 PM   #29
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 28
Thanks for this thread! I had no idea they made headlights these are definitely going to be added and bumped up on my lift of modifications. I just ordered some 6" KC lights for my windshield, so these are going to look great together.
PhillipB is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-31-2014, 01:08 PM   #30
Upside-down Disorder
 
InvertChaos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NoVa
Posts: 7,879
I'd really like to see these in person. I haven't been too impressed by led headlights in the past. Only ones I have been wowed by are the new Acura MDX jewel eye lights.

__________________
|2004 Jeep TJ "Green Machine"|4.0L 5 speed Dana44|33x12.50x15 Goodyear Duratracs|2.5" RC coils + 1.25" body lift|OME NitroSport shocks|4.56 gears|Skid Row Engine Skid|BCC Sliders|Currie AntiRock|
InvertChaos is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



logo carid shop wrangler parts carid fender flares custom wheels store avs deflectors at carid
» Rates
Get low rates on auto insurance in Canada!

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:28 PM.



Jeep, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC