The Official JK Aftermarket Lighting Thread (HID, HALO, Fog, Etc..) - Page 16 - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > General Tech Forums > Off Road and External Lighting

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 09-11-2012, 06:28 AM   #451
Jeeper
 
Hilldweller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 3,824
PM sent, rtguy.

__________________
Gone camping,
Bill

Hilldweller is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-11-2012, 10:48 PM   #452
xxxxJKforTJ
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Unhappy 2013 LED Dome Light Replacement....

After reading a bunch of posts, I decided to upgrade the dome lights in my 2013 JK Sahara 2 door. I wanted it brighter inside and found the Putco 280003 W set many have mentioned on Amazon.

I'm sorry to report, it did not work. A new option/feature for 2013 models was additional "map reading lights" in the rearview mirror. I installed the Putco lights then the new map reading lights turned on and wouldn't go out. I tried everything but nothing worked. After I removed the Putco lights...they STILL were on...then I reinstalled the OEM lights and they finally went out. I am guessing they are wired to the overhead lights and signaled to turn on/off when those come on/off...by replacing the OEM bulb with the Putco, I must somehow be breaking a connection between to two and they are not getting signaled to turn off. I am not an electrician nor a mechanic but that's the best I can surmise. I guess everyone else was doing this on a 2012 or prior year model without the additional map reading lights. It certainly made a difference for the 5 minutes I had them installed. I'm returning my set to Amazon.

If anyone happens to find one that in fact works, let me know...Thanks everyone

  Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-12-2012, 12:37 PM   #453
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Lone Star State
Posts: 89
What benefit is there to adding the ARB wiring harness? I'm about to purchase the "Truck Lite" Leds and have noticed that others have purchased the ARB wiring loom.

Am I correct in assuming that even if I run the replacement LED's to the OEM wiring set, the ARB wiring harness will have me most of the way to having power for alternate lighting (granted i'd have to add in switches and run that as well)?

I'm sure this question is answered somewhere, but 16 pages is a load to wade through.

As an aside, perhaps there should just be a lighting forum?
lilMAC25 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-12-2012, 12:48 PM   #454
Jeeper
 
Mopar2Ya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Earth
Posts: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilMAC25 View Post
What benefit is there to adding the ARB wiring harness? I'm about to purchase the "Truck Lite" Leds and have noticed that others have purchased the ARB wiring loom.

Am I correct in assuming that even if I run the replacement LED's to the OEM wiring set, the ARB wiring harness will have me most of the way to having power for alternate lighting (granted i'd have to add in switches and run that as well)?

I'm sure this question is answered somewhere, but 16 pages is a load to wade through.

As an aside, perhaps there should just be a lighting forum?
Any harness that draws power from the battery & uses the oem wiring as a trigger, will bypass the PWM, therefore eliminating flicker(I'd recommend SMS). Generally speaking every set of aux lights will require their own harness.
__________________
2012 JK U R Crush (Specs in profile)
Pics: http://s1243.photobucket.com/profile/mopar2ya2/index
2006 GC(WK) SRT8 gone
1970 Charger R/T somewhere in pieces
Mopar2Ya is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-12-2012, 01:09 PM   #455
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Lone Star State
Posts: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar2Ya View Post
Any harness that draws power from the battery & uses the oem wiring as a trigger, will bypass the PWM, therefore eliminating flicker(I'd recommend SMS). Generally speaking every set of aux lights will require their own harness.
PWM? Pulse Width Modulation?

SMS?

Legitimate questions. I'm fairly ignorant to these abbreviations.

Thanks
lilMAC25 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-12-2012, 01:18 PM   #456
Jeeper
 
Mopar2Ya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Earth
Posts: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilMAC25 View Post
PWM? Pulse Width Modulation?

SMS?

Legitimate questions. I'm fairly ignorant to these abbreviations.

Thanks
Yes, PWM can cause LED lighting to flicker.
SMS: Susquehanna MotorSports - High Performance Vehicle Lighting and Competition Accessories
__________________
2012 JK U R Crush (Specs in profile)
Pics: http://s1243.photobucket.com/profile/mopar2ya2/index
2006 GC(WK) SRT8 gone
1970 Charger R/T somewhere in pieces
Mopar2Ya is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-12-2012, 01:48 PM   #457
Jeeper
 
Hilldweller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 3,824
Post a link to the ARB harness.
__________________
Gone camping,
Bill

Hilldweller is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-12-2012, 01:50 PM   #458
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
SilverSport's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 19,298
Send a message via Yahoo to SilverSport
PWM causes constantly fluctuating voltage to the headlights instead of a steady 12+ volts.
__________________
"Own a Jeep and own a piece of history."

"The Hunter is not concerned with the opinion of the Wolf."
SilverSport is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-12-2012, 01:55 PM   #459
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Lone Star State
Posts: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar2Ya View Post
Thanks, went with the RallyLights dongle/harness and the Truck Lites 7" LEDs.


Really appreciate the info.
Nate
lilMAC25 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-12-2012, 01:58 PM   #460
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
SilverSport's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 19,298
Send a message via Yahoo to SilverSport
Dongle - love that term.
__________________
"Own a Jeep and own a piece of history."

"The Hunter is not concerned with the opinion of the Wolf."
SilverSport is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-12-2012, 02:30 PM   #461
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Lone Star State
Posts: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilldweller View Post
Post a link to the ARB harness.

ARB M002 - ARB H4 Headlight Wire Loom Upgrade - Quadratec



As noted in an earlier post, I decided to go with the harness from rallylights.com. Just couldn't bring myself to drop the extra $175 to get their complete headlamp kit (also, the online wording makes it sound like the $775 might be for the harness and only 1 headlamp, which would make that SUPER expensive). I told the guy, $100 less and they'd be SUPER competitive and I'd probably be getting their complete product. I didn't push it, just pointed it out.

IIRC, the rallylights.com complete LED Headlamp replacement kit has all sorts of mounting hardware that comes along with it, so it's probably not actually overpriced, you just get more.
lilMAC25 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-12-2012, 02:52 PM   #462
Jeeper
 
Hilldweller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 3,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilMAC25 View Post
ARB M002 - ARB H4 Headlight Wire Loom Upgrade - Quadratec



As noted in an earlier post, I decided to go with the harness from rallylights.com. Just couldn't bring myself to drop the extra $175 to get their complete headlamp kit (also, the online wording makes it sound like the $775 might be for the harness and only 1 headlamp, which would make that SUPER expensive). I told the guy, $100 less and they'd be SUPER competitive and I'd probably be getting their complete product. I didn't push it, just pointed it out.

IIRC, the rallylights.com complete LED Headlamp replacement kit has all sorts of mounting hardware that comes along with it, so it's probably not actually overpriced, you just get more.
Thanks; the product description doesn't say what's in it.
Is it H13 to H4? Caps? Resistors?
...pass...

When you called SMS, did you talk to Dave or Ray?
I mentioned that the price would be a stumbling block on their new 90mm kits. I have a friend that's buying one with a discount to be our test mule for it. We're going camping and elk-watching at the end of the month and will see how it performs.
He's got a zippy AEV JK and will be adding Hella 4000s at the same time. NORAD will be tracking us when we light those babies up...
__________________
Gone camping,
Bill

Hilldweller is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-12-2012, 02:55 PM   #463
Jeeper
 
Mopar2Ya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Earth
Posts: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilMAC25 View Post
Thanks, went with the RallyLights dongle/harness and the Truck Lites 7" LEDs.


Really appreciate the info.
Nate
SMS harness:HL28130J - From H13 to H4 2007> Jeep Wrangler (NOT for DRL)

I see they have some new Hella 90mm conversions! More choices!
Susquehanna MotorSports - Auto Performance Product
Is that price each? If so, they better be way better than TruckLites.
__________________
2012 JK U R Crush (Specs in profile)
Pics: http://s1243.photobucket.com/profile/mopar2ya2/index
2006 GC(WK) SRT8 gone
1970 Charger R/T somewhere in pieces
Mopar2Ya is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-12-2012, 07:11 PM   #464
Jeeper
 
rockitdoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Fort Collins, CO
Posts: 151
Auxilliary LIghts on Windshield?

What's the ticket for mounting auxilliary lights to the windshield frame near the mirrors? I've found some lights that should do the trick, but so far, can't find a good solution for the mounting.

Thanks,

S
__________________
'12 JKU Sport S, 2" AEV lift, JKS QD's, Armourlite stubby w/skid plate, ACE rock rails, Garmin navigation, CB, KC 130W Slimlites, PIAA Fogs, Wyoming saw, 4lb fire extinguisher, RR Hi Lift Jack Mount and Jack, SRM LED Backups, Sirius, Lifetime LED's
rockitdoc is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-12-2012, 08:25 PM   #465
Jeeper
 
Mopar2Ya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Earth
Posts: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockitdoc View Post
What's the ticket for mounting auxilliary lights to the windshield frame near the mirrors? I've found some lights that should do the trick, but so far, can't find a good solution for the mounting.

Thanks,

S
There are many windshield brackets for mounting aux lights. I went w/SMittybilt because they put the lights away from view.
__________________
2012 JK U R Crush (Specs in profile)
Pics: http://s1243.photobucket.com/profile/mopar2ya2/index
2006 GC(WK) SRT8 gone
1970 Charger R/T somewhere in pieces
Mopar2Ya is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-13-2012, 08:28 AM   #466
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Lone Star State
Posts: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar2Ya View Post
SMS harness:HL28130J - From H13 to H4 2007> Jeep Wrangler (NOT for DRL)

I see they have some new Hella 90mm conversions! More choices!
Susquehanna MotorSports - Auto Performance Product
Is that price each? If so, they better be way better than TruckLites.
It appears that it is per headlamp. That puts the price around $1500 for rally lights total conversion. Holy moly
lilMAC25 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-13-2012, 08:41 AM   #467
Jeeper
 
Mopar2Ya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Earth
Posts: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilMAC25 View Post
It appears that it is per headlamp. That puts the price around $1500 for rally lights total conversion. Holy moly
I'd still like to see a comparison w/TruckLites, I bet those Hella 90mm are bright!
__________________
2012 JK U R Crush (Specs in profile)
Pics: http://s1243.photobucket.com/profile/mopar2ya2/index
2006 GC(WK) SRT8 gone
1970 Charger R/T somewhere in pieces
Mopar2Ya is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-13-2012, 08:57 AM   #468
Jeeper
 
Moose5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 543
Images: 5
I'm considering buying the Warn wireless lights that mount to the A-pillar, right on the windshield. Can anyone give me a heads up? Also, what bracket do you recommend to use? I don't want I do any drilling. Thanks
__________________
BLACK 2009 SAHARA JKU

"If you ain't first, you're last!"
Moose5 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-13-2012, 09:16 AM   #469
Grampie

WF Supporting Member
 
stans1stjeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Rochester, Mi
Posts: 783
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose5 View Post
I'm considering buying the Warn wireless lights that mount to the A-pillar, right on the windshield. Can anyone give me a heads up? Also, what bracket do you recommend to use? I don't want I do any drilling. Thanks
As far as brackets go, there are dozens that bolt right on, no drilling necessary. Go to Quadratech, or any other supplier they all have them, Warn may even have some they make.

I don't have Warn lights, so I can't help much. There are several posts in this thread about people forgetting to turn them off, burning holes in their lens cover & killing their battery.

There are also several posts in this thread about a-pillar mounted lights, pros & cons, what style (fog, driving, spot) to use, etc.

If you are considering wireless because of wire routing concerns, don't worry about that.Jeep has an access hole thru the dash outboard of the brake master cylinder for easy wire routing to & from the interior. Look for a hole about 1" dia filled with foam. The foam has an "X" cut in it to push wiring thru.
stans1stjeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-13-2012, 09:29 AM   #470
Jeeper
 
Moose5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 543
Images: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by stans1stjeep

As far as brackets go, there are dozens that bolt right on, no drilling necessary. Go to Quadratech, or any other supplier they all have them, Warn may even have some they make.

I don't have Warn lights, so I can't help much. There are several posts in this thread about people forgetting to turn them off, burning holes in their lens cover & killing their battery.

There are also several posts in this thread about a-pillar mounted lights, pros & cons, what style (fog, driving, spot) to use, etc.

If you are considering wireless because of wire routing concerns, don't worry about that.Jeep has an access hole thru the dash outboard of the brake master cylinder for easy wire routing to & from the interior. Look for a hole about 1" dia filled with foam. The foam has an "X" cut in it to push wiring thru.
Very helpful thanks man! I did some reading before and apparently poison spider makes good brackets, I just wanted to get some. Or feedback
__________________
BLACK 2009 SAHARA JKU

"If you ain't first, you're last!"
Moose5 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-13-2012, 09:40 AM   #471
Jeeper
 
Mopar2Ya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Earth
Posts: 873
Smitys down & out mount, it requires a bracket to push the antenna away from the light.
__________________
2012 JK U R Crush (Specs in profile)
Pics: http://s1243.photobucket.com/profile/mopar2ya2/index
2006 GC(WK) SRT8 gone
1970 Charger R/T somewhere in pieces
Mopar2Ya is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-13-2012, 11:32 AM   #472
Jeeper
 
Hilldweller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 3,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar2Ya View Post
I'd still like to see a comparison w/TruckLites, I bet those Hella 90mm are bright!
$570 for the complete halogen kit ---- I'll be testing these at the end of the month.


$1387 for the bi-xenon (legal HID) kit ---- the LED is more and I can't say I know of anybody lining up for it...
A member of Jeepforum is planning to get the HID kit and install it soon. Wish I lived closer it should be a hum-dinger.
__________________
Gone camping,
Bill

Hilldweller is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-13-2012, 03:21 PM   #473
Jeeper
 
Moose5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 543
Images: 5
Has anyone done any work with halo lights? I'm really considering getting the oracle but idk if I trust baking the headlights
__________________
BLACK 2009 SAHARA JKU

"If you ain't first, you're last!"
Moose5 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-13-2012, 03:30 PM   #474
Jeeper
 
Lowerumble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,000
Jeep nipples?
Lowerumble is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-13-2012, 03:35 PM   #475
Jeeper
 
XpressoBeans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 291
Ive been real happy with my led truck lites and the sms harness. It's legal, pretty plug n play, and bright as heck. I also like how the lights look blacked out when lights are off.
__________________
2012 Jeep Wrangler JK ** Black** 6Speed**Minneapolis, MN**

XpressoBeans is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-13-2012, 05:42 PM   #476
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
SilverSport's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 19,298
Send a message via Yahoo to SilverSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowerumble View Post
Jeep nipples?
UGH!
__________________
"Own a Jeep and own a piece of history."

"The Hunter is not concerned with the opinion of the Wolf."
SilverSport is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-13-2012, 07:05 PM   #477
Jeeper
 
jo3_h's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: NJ
Posts: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowerumble
Jeep nipples?
awe jeez, would ya look at this!
jo3_h is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-13-2012, 10:17 PM   #478
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose5 View Post
Has anyone done any work with halo lights? I'm really considering getting the oracle but idk if I trust baking the headlights
I love mine, I put green halos in, Baking is at a very low temp just enough to get the stock adhesive into a liquid so you can separate. Its not really legal for me to run green halos, but they make halos that can cycle through different colors, Whites are legal and Ambers are too. I run the greens a lot and have never been pulled over or anything. I posted earlier this year about my halos here is the link http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/jk-...ts-130228.html
Bike27e is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-14-2012, 04:15 AM   #479
Jeeper
 
Hilldweller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 3,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowerumble View Post
Jeep nipples?
Brilliant idea; not all that pleasant to behold.

I think it would be less obvious if the bezel was color-matched. The end user can do that.

I'll get to test a set in two weeks. From previous experience with 90mm Hellas, I expect nothing short of amazing stats.
And these will be wired directly to a JK's battery and be brighter than what I've seen in the past.

Think of it. 2100 lumens from a halogen projector. No dual-filament nonsense, no CRI or SPD alterations caused by LEDs and/or HID. Just lots of decent light in a well-focused spread.
The CRI will be 99%+.

We still don't have anything that matches halogen for seeing the world the way it really is.

http://www.topbulb.com/lighting_info...info_color.asp
__________________
Gone camping,
Bill

Hilldweller is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-14-2012, 06:17 AM   #480
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
VegasPete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 96
Images: 5
I like that set up, can u drive tactically with only those lights? How bright r they and how's the signature?

__________________
If I am not for myself then who will be for me, and if I am only for myself, then what good am I?
VegasPete is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:10 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC