TJ Headlights - Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > General Jeep Discussions > Off Road and External Lighting

Join Wrangler Forum Today



Like Tree2Likes

Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 03-02-2017, 02:20 PM
Thread Starter
  #1
Jeeper
 
Inlandman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 39
Inlandman is on a distinguished road
TJ Headlights

Can anyone confirm that the only truly plug and play LED option headlights for the TJ is either the Rigid Truck Lite, the new KC headlight or the Quadratec unit? JW speaker are technically for the JK and would need some modding for the TJ? I don't need any versus comparisons as those are plentiful on the forums just confirmation of an assumption. Last time I assumed something it backfired, I should have known that cruise control didn't mean the Winnabego would drive itself but hey, live and learn.
Inlandman is offline   Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 05:14 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
Mark K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 34
Mark K is on a distinguished road
I had my shop install the TruckLites in my 2000 TJ and they reported that getting the trim rings back on "kicked their ass." The TLs stick out enough to occlude those little screws. It took me an hour with special tools to remove them again before going back to have the shop take out the TruckLites. Really lousy light pattern, with dark patches and strange bright streaks. Plus, with the difficulty of installation, it was clear that any trouble out on the road could turn into a major hassle.

I'm putting in Cibie E-codes and Phillips 130s, which are easy to replace nearly anywhere, not to mention much cheaper. A commercial headlight harness will deliver more microvolts to the lights.

Update: I was able to remove the 6 headlight trim ring screws by using a 5/32" ball end hex wrench (not, apparently, in the mechanic's toolbox) followed by a Craftsman torx driver. So, the shop found it easy to swap in the Cibies.

The TruckLites were an Amazon purchase from Jungle Truck Parts in Eddystone, PA. Seems they sell only on Amazon. When I finally requested a return, the lights were still in the Jeep. Jungle got right back to me and authorized a return and they would pay the return shipping. Upon notification that the TLs were boxed up, Jungle sent me a UPS prepaid label. That is stellar service for a first time customer and I recommend these guys to everyone. Really classy.

Mark K is offline   Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 05:15 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 67
Delta Echo is on a distinguished road
There are lots of "plug and play" options. I had some of the cheap Chinese LED, and then switched to the JW Speaker 8700. The Chinese ones were actually brighter, but they scattered a lot of light and were not DOT approved. The JW speaker focus the light where it's supposed to be, and have DOT on the lens. But I'm not sure that they were worth the high price tag. I have a 2006 LJ, FWIW.
Delta Echo is offline   Quote
 
Old 03-02-2017, 05:26 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 67
Delta Echo is on a distinguished road
These are the ones I put in my LJ. It was about $450 for the pair.

JW Speaker - JW Speaker Evolution 2 8700 LED Headlight (Black) - 549701 | 4WheelParts.com
Delta Echo is offline   Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 09:48 PM
Thread Starter
  #5
Jeeper
 
Inlandman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 39
Inlandman is on a distinguished road
I've read that the Truck Lites, KC and Quadratec are all similar with the JW Speakers being a cut above those three. I just can't see how much of a PITA the install of the JW Speaker might be since there website says they are "specific to the JK"
Inlandman is offline   Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 09:50 PM
Thread Starter
  #6
Jeeper
 
Inlandman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 39
Inlandman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Echo View Post
These are the ones I put in my LJ. It was about $450 for the pair.

JW Speaker - JW Speaker Evolution 2 8700 LED Headlight (Black) - 549701 | 4WheelParts.com
Yeah, I'm trying to avoid the Chinese knock offs, I'm quite interested in the JW Speaker but their website says they fit the JK....4WheelParts says that the JW does fit the TJ....did you install the JW Speaker yourself and did it require any MacGyver type mods to install?
Inlandman is offline   Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 10:07 PM
Thread Starter
  #7
Jeeper
 
Inlandman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 39
Inlandman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inlandman View Post
Yeah, I'm trying to avoid the Chinese knock offs, I'm quite interested in the JW Speaker but their website says they fit the JK....4WheelParts says that the JW does fit the TJ....did you install the JW Speaker yourself and did it require any MacGyver type mods to install?
Never mind on the JK specific, i see the Evolution J is the one that's specific for the JK Jeeps, the one you sent me a link on, Evolution 2, is there universal 7" headlight. Still curious whether you had to MacGyver them in there and it looks like they need the anti flicker harness?
Inlandman is offline   Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 10:19 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 67
Delta Echo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inlandman View Post
Never mind on the JK specific, i see the Evolution J is the one that's specific for the JK Jeeps, the one you sent me a link on, Evolution 2, is there universal 7" headlight. Still curious whether you had to MacGyver them in there and it looks like they need the anti flicker harness?
If you get the one I linked to, there is no modification needed. Very easy to install, but they will probably need a little adjustment. No, you shouldn't need the anti-flicker harness on a TJ. I did not use one, no flicker.
Delta Echo is offline   Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 10:25 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
Inland air balance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: San Dimas & Big Bear
Posts: 168
Inland air balance is on a distinguished road
I have the quadratec in my LJ. Truly plug and play. A child could install them. And I am very happy with them.
__________________
Certified in something
Inland air balance is offline   Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 07:49 AM   #10
Jeeper
 
Wild thang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 42
Wild thang is on a distinguished road
X2. On the quadratec LEDs, easy to install nice lights.
Wild thang is offline   Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 10:02 AM   #11
Jeeper
 
Grayrock924's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 70
Grayrock924 is on a distinguished road
I purchased jk headlights for $20 used and they snapped right up using a harness adapter. The improvement from stock is unbelievable and well worth the money. I would never spend over a hundred bucks on stupid headlights, besides the fact i usually always have my led pods or bar on.
__________________
2005 TJ Sport 4.0L full engine rebuild.
2002 TJ Sport 4.0L eventually doing viper conversion
Grayrock924 is offline   Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 10:08 AM   #12
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Fountain, Colorado
Posts: 34
RicanLJ is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland air balance View Post
I have the quadratec in my LJ. Truly plug and play. A child could install them. And I am very happy with them.
Can you post the link of the Quadratec lights?
RicanLJ is offline   Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 01:50 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 67
Delta Echo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayrock924 View Post
I purchased jk headlights for $20 used and they snapped right up using a harness adapter. The improvement from stock is unbelievable and well worth the money. I would never spend over a hundred bucks on stupid headlights, besides the fact i usually always have my led pods or bar on.
There is nothing "stupid" about bright headlights. It's dark about 2/3 of the time here in winter, and we have deer out in the road on a daily basis. I agree that the JW Speaker lights are overpriced, but they are cheaper than my insurance deductible from one deer collision (not to mention rate increases from a collision). Since they greatly increase the chances of me being able to avoid a deer, it's worth it to me.
T.Wagner likes this.
Delta Echo is offline   Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 06:09 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
Inland air balance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: San Dimas & Big Bear
Posts: 168
Inland air balance is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicanLJ View Post
Can you post the link of the Quadratec lights?
Quadratec® Gen II Stealth LED Headlights for 55-06 Jeep® Wrangler TJ, Unlimited & CJ | Quadratec
__________________
Certified in something
Inland air balance is offline   Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 09:37 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
OldPueblo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: The Old Pueblo, and the Gulfcoast
Posts: 149
OldPueblo is on a distinguished road
WOW.....

I bought Hella H4 conversion buckets, and led bulbs off of Ebay.

Dot Housings...

Stupid bright LED bulbs

High beams turn night to day.


Less than $100 total
OldPueblo is offline   Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 09:50 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Fountain, Colorado
Posts: 34
RicanLJ is on a distinguished road
RicanLJ is offline   Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 10:09 PM
Thread Starter
  #17
Jeeper
 
Inlandman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 39
Inlandman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Echo View Post
There is nothing "stupid" about bright headlights. It's dark about 2/3 of the time here in winter, and we have deer out in the road on a daily basis. I agree that the JW Speaker lights are overpriced, but they are cheaper than my insurance deductible from one deer collision (not to mention rate increases from a collision). Since they greatly increase the chances of me being able to avoid a deer, it's worth it to me.

I agree, 4WheelParts has the JW Speakers on for 20% off right now, I'm leaning that way. Gotta spend my money on something....
Inlandman is offline   Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 02:42 AM   #18
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 774
Bluebrusier10 is on a distinguished road
These will fit on a TJ and be plug and play with no adapters needed and are super bright with a great cutoff and integrated turn signal in the headlights.








Lo beam



Hi beam



Cutoff



I know the pictures show them on my JK but they have H4 plugs on them. I am running the rally conversion so basically mine is setup like a TJ
Bluebrusier10 is offline   Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 01:40 PM   #19
I always wanted a Jeep...

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
rac1971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Troy. MI
Posts: 385
rac1971 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebrusier10 View Post
These will fit on a TJ and be plug and play with no adapters needed and are super bright with a great cutoff and integrated turn signal in the headlights.








Lo beam



Hi beam



Cutoff



I know the pictures show them on my JK but they have H4 plugs on them. I am running the rally conversion so basically mine is setup like a TJ
What LED lights are those?
__________________
Can someone explain how I got here....?
rac1971 is offline   Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 02:28 PM   #20
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 774
Bluebrusier10 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rac1971 View Post

What LED lights are those?
Some I got sent to me to test out two weeks ago. Here are some up to date shots of them I took last night



Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20170306_152718.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	3488746



Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20170306_152740.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	3488754

That's the low and high beam output. I finally got them adjusted about where I need them.
Bluebrusier10 is offline   Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 02:57 PM   #21
Commercial Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
Shark_13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Idaho
Posts: 4,106
Shark_13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebrusier10 View Post

Some I got sent to me to test out two weeks ago. Here are some up to date shots of them I took last night

That's the low and high beam output. I finally got them adjusted about where I need them.
He wants to know the brand....
__________________
One-of-a-kind wood shift knobs for sale

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f37/han...s-1175625.html
Shark_13 is online now   Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 03:08 PM   #22
Jeeper
 
Bryand82487's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Jackson, Tennessee
Posts: 224
Bryand82487 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark K View Post
I had my shop install the TruckLites in my 2000 TJ and they reported that getting the trim rings back on "kicked their ass." The TLs stick out enough to occlude those little screws. It took me an hour with special tools to remove them again before going back to have the shop take out the TruckLites. Really lousy light pattern, with dark patches and strange bright streaks. Plus, with the difficulty of installation, it was clear that any trouble out on the road could turn into a major hassle.

I'm putting in Cibie E-codes and Phillips 130s, which are easy to replace nearly anywhere, not to mention much cheaper. A commercial headlight harness will deliver more microvolts to the lights.

Update: I was able to remove the 6 headlight trim ring screws by using a 5/32" ball end hex wrench (not, apparently, in the mechanic's toolbox) followed by a Craftsman torx driver. So, the shop found it easy to swap in the Cibies.

The TruckLites were an Amazon purchase from Jungle Truck Parts in Eddystone, PA. Seems they sell only on Amazon. When I finally requested a return, the lights were still in the Jeep. Jungle got right back to me and authorized a return and they would pay the return shipping. Upon notification that the TLs were boxed up, Jungle sent me a UPS prepaid label. That is stellar service for a first time customer and I recommend these guys to everyone. Really classy.
The trucklites were a PIA to install. To get the screws back in the trim rings you have to adjust the headlights back and forth to make room to get the torx screws in. I ended up adjusting one of the headlight buckets too much and it broke. It cost me about 40 bucks to replace from a junk yard. You also have to adjust the screw on the bucket that your never suppose to touch to get rings screwed in. My first pair had a dim purple light output on low beam. The high beam was fine. I thought it was normal for a few days until I was driving in the country and couldn't hardly see anything on low beam. I was quickly shipped a new pair hassle free but had to go threw the install all over again.
Bryand82487 is offline   Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 07:41 AM   #23
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 37
bearintex is on a distinguished road
I put Headlights - BAKER LEDS on my son's '04 TJ around the first of the year. Not bad for the price. I have not hooked up the halos yet. The Main lights were definitely plug and play.
bearintex is offline   Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 04:23 PM   #24
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 67
Delta Echo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebrusier10 View Post
Some I got sent to me to test out two weeks ago. Here are some up to date shots of them I took last night

That's the low and high beam output. I finally got them adjusted about where I need them.
Those look impressive. Can you tell us what brand they are, and when they will be for sale?
Delta Echo is offline   Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 07:15 AM   #25
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Fountain, Colorado
Posts: 34
RicanLJ is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Echo View Post
Those look impressive. Can you tell us what brand they are, and when they will be for sale?
Yes, am also interested to know the brand......
RicanLJ is offline   Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 11:00 AM   #26
Jeeper
 
Grayrock924's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 70
Grayrock924 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Echo View Post
There is nothing "stupid" about bright headlights. It's dark about 2/3 of the time here in winter, and we have deer out in the road on a daily basis. I agree that the JW Speaker lights are overpriced, but they are cheaper than my insurance deductible from one deer collision (not to mention rate increases from a collision). Since they greatly increase the chances of me being able to avoid a deer, it's worth it to me.
I see where you coming from, but on my jeep they are stupid. Ifix myown vehicles and my front end is built to happily take deer. and ithas which is just meat in the freezer
__________________
2005 TJ Sport 4.0L full engine rebuild.
2002 TJ Sport 4.0L eventually doing viper conversion
Grayrock924 is offline   Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 03:17 PM   #27
Jeeper
 
Blonda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: San Marcos, CA
Posts: 68
Blonda is on a distinguished road
I put JW speakers in mine. No anti-flicker connector needed. However one side (the passenger) required a good deal of plastic trimming to get it to fit. It was a PITA and not sure why, but the drivers side went right in no issues. Your experience may vary...
__________________
1998 Sahara 4.0, 5 Speed / 4" TeraFlex LA, 35" Toyo MT's / D44 F/R w/ARB lockers / Wrapped in RH4X4 Armor
2008 JKU Rubicon / 6.4 Hemi (in process) / 1-ton axles / 40" Toyo MT's, etc....

My build: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f322/98...s-1613745.html
Blonda is offline   Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 04:05 PM   #28
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 78
Saxdogg is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearintex View Post
I put Headlights - BAKER LEDS on my son's '04 TJ around the first of the year. Not bad for the price. I have not hooked up the halos yet. The Main lights were definitely plug and play.
Any pics or updates?
Saxdogg is offline   Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 10:02 AM
Thread Starter
  #29
Jeeper
 
Inlandman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 39
Inlandman is on a distinguished road
Will post pics as soon as they arrive, I ordered the JW Speakers as they were on sale, ordered some KC 644 driving pattern lights as well but they are backordered for a week everything ships together so I wait
Inlandman is offline   Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 02:34 PM   #30
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 185
Dorsk 84 is on a distinguished road
This topic = I'm not saying don't get what you want. But I can't see spending that much on JW lights.

At the time I did my dim headlights over, I needed new adjustment ring too. So I got a set a Crown halogen lights that had the rings installed. It was literally plug and play and got way more light out (actually so much people think my highs are on) The kicker is I think total it cost me <$200 with shipping n' all.

Dorsk 84 is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:41 PM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC
« Back

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner