2dr or 4 dr wrangler ??? - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > General Tech Forums > General Jeep Discussion

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 04-12-2012, 09:16 AM   #1
Jeeper
 
Tammy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 313
2dr or 4 dr wrangler ???

I have a 2010 4 dr wrangler sahara unlimited and have been havin a few issues. I cant afford a 2012 so cant decide what to do. Jeepers help me out....Do I deal with the issues or do I get a 2 dr sahara and have fun with that.
Besides the obvious of having a 4 dr. What are the pros and cons of me downsizing?
Come on guys... Hook a sistah up with some advice. Thanks (wAvie)

__________________
Wavey
Tammy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-12-2012, 09:22 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 256
I got a 2-door Wrangler last year -- my first Jeep, probably not my last. I quickly found out that the 2-door Wrangler has less room inside than I'd believe possible from the outside dimensions.

Here's a f'rinstance: My (presumably) better half plays the harp. We can't get the harp into the Jeep. Not no way, not no how (and believe me I've tried everything short of taking the rear seat out altogether). But she can get it into her Lexus IS300, which LOOKS like a pimple when it's parked alongside the Jeep.

SO... if cargo space is important, stick with the 4-door.

OH... the 4-door's longer wheelbase also gives you a larger towing capacity.

PeteH is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-12-2012, 09:39 AM   #3
Jeeper
 
Tammy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 313
Thanks. I will keep that in mind. I haul my pitbull with me so back seAt might be taken out anyway. Is it difficult to get people in and out if they were to ride in back seat?
Also, does the 2dr ride the same as a 4dr or is it more bumpy?
__________________
Wavey
Tammy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-12-2012, 10:57 AM   #4
Jeeper
 
mynewjeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 34
I had a 1999 2 door and now have a 4 door. Can't believe how much more room there is. Yes, I do understand that a 2 door might be better on the trails, but I vote for having more room.
mynewjeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-12-2012, 03:56 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
Tammy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 313
Thanks for your input.
__________________
Wavey
Tammy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-12-2012, 05:43 PM   #6
rabbits eat lettuce

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
tabber02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: left coast, florida
Posts: 10,095
if it's just you and your dog... then get a 2 door JK. i have a 2 door JK and it does fine. I went from a super crew F150 to my JK.. space sucked at first but you get used to it.

i guess bottom line go with what your gut says, there isn't a right or wrong answer. lots of guys will tell you one or the other. if it's practical and you have a need, stay with the 4 door and get what ever's wrong fixed.
__________________

-bob

2010 JK - Mountain Edition
i spend way too much money on it... that's all


Become a Supporting Member of the Wrangler Forum, upgrade your account today



tabber02 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-12-2012, 08:06 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Eustis, FL
Posts: 221
I love the 2 door. The 2 door jeep is THE JEEP.
ave8er is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-12-2012, 08:26 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Pembroke Pines, FL.
Posts: 446
What issues are you having with the 4dr. that cause you to think about downsizing?
ljrubitm is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-13-2012, 07:10 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
mynewjeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 34
All I can say is that if you buy a 2 door, the first time that you go to the grocery store, you will get swearing and saying that you miss your 4 door.
mynewjeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-13-2012, 09:05 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 698
2 door / 4 door

hi, got kids 4 door, going to have kids 4 door, no kids 2 door. good luck!
firehawk is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-14-2012, 09:05 AM   #11
Jeeper
 
mynewjeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 34
I am retired, so obviously have not kids living with me. But we plan on taking many trips through Utah (Brice, Archs), Yellowstone, Glacier National Park, Banff, Jasper, and so on. So, the extra room betweem my previous 2 door and my new 4 door is UNBELIEVABLE. You could sleep back there !!!

Anyway, I do believe that the 2 door is better on the trail, but if the time that you spend on the trail is a small percentage of the time that you drive it, then the 4 door (in my opinion) is the best (for me anyway).
mynewjeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-14-2012, 09:12 AM   #12
Jeeper
 
Casotakar1229's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2,214
yea. if you are wanting to wheel in some sweet places, your clearance will be better over steep inclines or declines. 2drs look a bit better imo, although the 4drs look badass too. if you want to carry passengers a lot though, stay with the 4dr, pita to get people in and out of the back. I love the 2dr being a single guy and no friends. foreveralone.
Casotakar1229 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-14-2012, 09:30 AM   #13
I C
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by ave8er View Post
I love the 2 door. The 2 door jeep is THE JEEP.
Bwahahaha.
I C is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-14-2012, 09:33 AM   #14
I C
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 65
I moved from 2 to 4 door and haven't looked back. Stability, now better horsepower, the multi-door access and the aforementioned 'trunk' space and frankly, doesn't the JKU look handsome compared to its red-haired, freckle-faced older brother?
I C is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-15-2012, 11:49 AM   #15
Jeeper
 
Tammy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljrubitm
What issues are you having with the 4dr. that cause you to think about downsizing?
I keep having leak issues and I keep taking back to dealer and they say its fixed only to have it start to leak again or leak in other areas. Im fed up. I cant afford a new jeep as I still owe on this one so I either need to deal with it or get a new 2dr I can afford.
__________________
Wavey
Tammy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-15-2012, 11:51 AM   #16
Jeeper
 
Tammy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by mynewjeep
All I can say is that if you buy a 2 door, the first time that you go to the grocery store, you will get swearing and saying that you miss your 4 door.
Yeah, if I bought a 2dr Id automatically have to take out the rear seat and just leave it out. I wouldnt dare ask anyone to squeeze in and get in back seat as I am 41 and most my friends are older than me
__________________
Wavey
Tammy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-15-2012, 11:51 AM   #17
Jeeper
 
Tammy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk
hi, got kids 4 door, going to have kids 4 door, no kids 2 door. good luck!
No kids, cant have kids. I only have the 4 legged kind .....
__________________
Wavey
Tammy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-15-2012, 11:53 AM   #18
Jeeper
 
Tammy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by mynewjeep
I am retired, so obviously have not kids living with me. But we plan on taking many trips through Utah (Brice, Archs), Yellowstone, Glacier National Park, Banff, Jasper, and so on. So, the extra room betweem my previous 2 door and my new 4 door is UNBELIEVABLE. You could sleep back there !!!

Anyway, I do believe that the 2 door is better on the trail, but if the time that you spend on the trail is a small percentage of the time that you drive it, then the 4 door (in my opinion) is the best (for me anyway).
I have the 4dr sahara unlimited now and yes tons of room but having issues so dont know what to do. Cant afford a 2012 so I either need to deal with it or downsize to a new 2dr 2012.
Is the ride rougher in the 2dr?
__________________
Wavey
Tammy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-15-2012, 11:54 AM   #19
Jeeper
 
Tammy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casotakar1229
yea. if you are wanting to wheel in some sweet places, your clearance will be better over steep inclines or declines. 2drs look a bit better imo, although the 4drs look badass too. if you want to carry passengers a lot though, stay with the 4dr, pita to get people in and out of the back. I love the 2dr being a single guy and no friends. foreveralone.
Not many places in memphis to take off road so basically its a roadie jeep. I never have any more than one person with me. Its usually me and my pitbull.
__________________
Wavey
Tammy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-15-2012, 11:56 AM   #20
Jeeper
 
Tammy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by I C
I moved from 2 to 4 door and haven't looked back. Stability, now better horsepower, the multi-door access and the aforementioned 'trunk' space and frankly, doesn't the JKU look handsome compared to its red-haired, freckle-faced older brother?
Haha. Thanks.
__________________
Wavey
Tammy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-15-2012, 01:04 PM   #21
Jeeper
 
00tj2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 1,219
Tammy where is it leaking?? And how many times have you taken it back.... You might be better off looking into your states lemon law. I'm pretty sure that in most states if you continue to bring in a vehicle for the same problem after a certain amount on fixes if they cannot solve the problem you have better avenues to go down than having to buy a new one yourself.

Also like I first asked where is it leaking from? Engine? Transmission? Stealing gearbox? You might want to try another dealer too.

Make sure you are informed when you go in, know your rights as a consumer and don't let those little weasels at the dealership intimidate you! Good luck with what ever you do.
__________________
I know a lot of things, most of them are only correct in my own head...

Better to be judged by twelve then carried by six. I'm sure this is going to get me in trouble down the line
00tj2 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-16-2012, 08:24 PM   #22
Jeeper
 
Tammy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00tj2
Tammy where is it leaking?? And how many times have you taken it back.... You might be better off looking into your states lemon law. I'm pretty sure that in most states if you continue to bring in a vehicle for the same problem after a certain amount on fixes if they cannot solve the problem you have better avenues to go down than having to buy a new one yourself.

Also like I first asked where is it leaking from? Engine? Transmission? Stealing gearbox? You might want to try another dealer too.

Make sure you are informed when you go in, know your rights as a consumer and don't let those little weasels at the dealership intimidate you! Good luck with what ever you do.
Its leaking water in passenger floorboard front and rear and even under my bench seat so bad that if u pull carpet up it drips water. Ive had it in 4 times so far and its just getting worse. Ive never had my top off and it was parked while it was raining and all this leaked in.
__________________
Wavey
Tammy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-16-2012, 11:38 PM   #23
Jeeper
 
00tj2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 1,219
Wow, my whole pat just disapeared...wtf...ok, anywho...first off have you posted in the jk section?? I have read a few posts that they do leak and that there are fixes for them... Go to the search bar and try searching for "leaks" in the meantime.. Though I agree they shouldn't do it from the beginning my 2000 tj has leaked from the first month I had it... And it only does it sometimes...im sure you can find something on it here but if not you need to find out if there are any recalls or service bulletins. I'm sorry but I'm not that familiar with the JK's, I'm still reading up about them and learning there in's and outs... It's hard when you don't own one... But I would hold off on getting rid of it expecially if you have owned it from the beginning...
__________________
I know a lot of things, most of them are only correct in my own head...

Better to be judged by twelve then carried by six. I'm sure this is going to get me in trouble down the line
00tj2 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-17-2012, 12:13 AM   #24
Jeeper
 
mckey73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: 'burque
Posts: 9,650
Just an option, you could lease a new 4 dr. and then opt to buy after the lease is up. Yeah you pay more over the long run, but if you really want it...

There is a very big difference (to me anyway) in the ride between the 2 dr. and the 4 door. Two door Jeeps are very cool, but they have that front to back rocking motion.
__________________
“Animals don't hate, and we're supposed to be better than them.”

-Elvis Presley
mckey73 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-17-2012, 03:21 PM   #25
Jeeper
 
Tammy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by mckey73
Just an option, you could lease a new 4 dr. and then opt to buy after the lease is up. Yeah you pay more over the long run, but if you really want it...

There is a very big difference (to me anyway) in the ride between the 2 dr. and the 4 door. Two door Jeeps are very cool, but they have that front to back rocking motion.
Whats the front and back rocking motion?
Is the 2dr a rougher ride?
__________________
Wavey
Tammy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-17-2012, 03:22 PM   #26
Jeeper
 
Tammy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by mckey73
Just an option, you could lease a new 4 dr. and then opt to buy after the lease is up. Yeah you pay more over the long run, but if you really want it...

There is a very big difference (to me anyway) in the ride between the 2 dr. and the 4 door. Two door Jeeps are very cool, but they have that front to back rocking motion.
I have a 4 dr now but am having issues with it. Just not sure whether to get a new 4 dr or 2dr I can afford...
__________________
Wavey
Tammy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-17-2012, 03:24 PM   #27
Jeeper
 
Tammy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00tj2
Wow, my whole pat just disapeared...wtf...ok, anywho...first off have you posted in the jk section?? I have read a few posts that they do leak and that there are fixes for them... Go to the search bar and try searching for "leaks" in the meantime.. Though I agree they shouldn't do it from the beginning my 2000 tj has leaked from the first month I had it... And it only does it sometimes...im sure you can find something on it here but if not you need to find out if there are any recalls or service bulletins. I'm sorry but I'm not that familiar with the JK's, I'm still reading up about them and learning there in's and outs... It's hard when you don't own one... But I would hold off on getting rid of it expecially if you have owned it from the beginning...
No recalls And some people have had same problem. Some got it fixed and some didnt. This is now my 4th time takin it back. Picked it up thurs and it leaked on way home and it was flooded on floorboards mon am after a rain sun night. So its back at dealership and again Im sportin a dodge rental car while I make payments on a jeep wrangler.
__________________
Wavey
Tammy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-18-2012, 06:56 AM   #28
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 188
That much leaking and you are sporting a hard top? I would be pissed. After this many attempts to repair I would be demanding a new top, at a minimum. If the dealership doesn't want to repair/replace then contact Jeep directly.

2 doors are not for rear passengers. I bought a rear seat for mine before I actually saw it. After installing it and my son climbing in I decided I will never put anymore than one kid back there. That space is best used for storage or a pet only.

Pukeolicious is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



logo carid shop wrangler parts carid fender flares custom wheels store avs deflectors at carid
» Rates
Get low rates on auto insurance in Canada!

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:14 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC