?? about drivin cross country & handguns - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > General Tech Forums > General Jeep Discussion

Join Wrangler Forum Today

Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 12-19-2010, 07:06 PM   #1
monkers's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 343
?? about drivin cross country & handguns

My girlfriend and I are planning to drive the Jeep from Upstate NY to Colorado within the next 2 years and are starting the planning process (thanks to those on here I pmd for info) We intend to camp and stay in a couple hotels, here is my question. I have a NY state concealed carry handgun permit( also a PA permit) and would like to take my handgun with me.......How do I do this legally to avoid hassle.....Do I have to apply for a permit in each state that I will pass through, or can I contact each state ahead of time to apply for some kind of waiver or something? I am going to call tomorrow and ask here (in NY, our county building in charge of the permits) but was thinking about it and decided to ask here. Also, any other advice or suggestions from anyone about this little adventure would be great......thank you guys

monkers is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-19-2010, 07:34 PM   #2
coolbreeze's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Redding, Ca
Posts: 854
I think the NRA will have the most current info. Have fun

2004 Black X 4.0, auto, 3.73's, soft top 31-10.5-15 Toyo A/T's on 8" Ultra 175's, 2" Teraflex BB.
coolbreeze is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-19-2010, 07:37 PM   #3
bc3_Jeep's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: NE corner of Iowa
Posts: 1,598
Do not attempt concelaed carry in Illinois...... they do NOT recognize any other states concealed carry and there is NO concealed carry in Illinois.

Also.....all guns (handguns, long guns), while in a vehicle must be unloaded and locked up, out of occupant's reach while in Illinois.

Illinois is VERY anal about this stuff and has put people in jail accordingly......several counties (e.g. Cook) have a NO POSSESSION law....(you cannot even OWN a handgun if you live there).

As far as adventure is concerned......we went over 2500 miles last summer and did not drive on an interstate highway.......most fun we have had in years.....
bc3_Jeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-19-2010, 07:45 PM   #4

WF Supporting Member
GoldenSahara00's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SCPA
Posts: 16,554
IF anyone gives your trouble shoot them.

Thats probably not a good idea on second though, ah well
Ryan - A good eye, a light foot, and a smart rig.
Bolt-ons are boring
My Build - http://www.wranglerforum.com/f118/pr...a00-74622.html
Rausch Creek Trip: 2014 Trip Coming Soon
GoldenSahara00 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-19-2010, 07:53 PM   #5
Junior Member
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 889
Boosta is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-19-2010, 07:57 PM   #6
Junior Member
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 889
When I travel I do carry. When I get to states that do not honor my permit I place unloaded weapon into tuffy underseat lockbox and keep my fingers crossed. When I am in gun friendly areas it is in arms length cocked and locked. One day the populous will realize that law abiding gun owners believe that it is better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6. Criminals have planned out their attacks way before they run into the victim. A well armed/ trained citizen has only seconds to respond, when police are minutes away. Stay alert, stay prepared, stay armed.
Boosta is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-19-2010, 08:57 PM   #7
computeruser's Avatar
Join Date: May 2010
Location: East Lansing, MI
Posts: 811
Figure out which states honor your permit for concealed carry (should be pretty easy to do), and either comply with federal law vis-a-vis transport in the other states or play by big boy rules.

That said, you might want to reconsider taking your strap so you can take advantage of some of what Canada has to offer en route. Just a thought, and I completely understand if you decline that proposition in favor of staying armed. I just know there have been a number of times, sitting within sight of the US-Canada border with a pistol on my hip and a rifle or two in the Jeep, that I've thought that I'd definitely have kept rolling to some interesting cross-border destination if I had somewhere to safely lock my weapons up until I crossed back. FWIW, it is (I am told, I haven't done it yet) substantially easier to get the necessary import documents to transport long guns across/through Canada.
computeruser is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-19-2010, 09:28 PM   #8
Junior Member
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 889
Comp user do you Need a pass port to pop over into Canada?
Boosta is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-19-2010, 10:19 PM   #9
computeruser's Avatar
Join Date: May 2010
Location: East Lansing, MI
Posts: 811
Originally Posted by Boosta View Post
Comp user do you Need a pass port to pop over into Canada?
Yes, or some enhanced ID card thingee that costs 1/2 of what a Passport costs. The days of just bringing a copy of your U.S. birth certificate appear to be over in practice as well as policy; they were allowing folks in and out with that for a while, despite the change in the law, but appear to have tightened down on it at last.
computeruser is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-20-2010, 06:12 AM   #10
tomslusher's Avatar
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 96
You don't need a passport to travel into Canada, but you do need it to return to the good ol' USA. Also, Canada does not allow (usually, depedning on the mood if the border agents) people into their country with what they consider felonies on their records, which includes DWIs.
When reinventing the wheel, think rounder!!
tomslusher is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-20-2010, 12:11 PM   #11
doublerinnys's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Hope, AR
Posts: 54
Check to see which states honor your permit. I know mine is good in all my bording states as well as others. Just check which ones are covered by yours and see what states you're going through. Hope this helps.
2006 Jeep Wrangler
doublerinnys is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-21-2010, 12:38 AM   #12
Mr Hobbit's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 32
Agree with Boosta. Check reciprocity. If I have a Colorado and Utah concealed permit, it carries over to several other states.

Mr Hobbit is offline   Quote Quick Reply

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cross Country Jeep Caravan? Boosta JK General Discussion Forum 16 03-18-2011 09:47 PM
Stock JK cross country questions Topless-in-the-Buff JK General Discussion Forum 8 11-07-2010 11:33 PM
Will I make it cross country...and back? shoch87 YJ General Discussion Forum 41 08-15-2010 11:15 AM
My 6,000 mile cross country traverse this summer...advice? Always JK'n JK General Discussion Forum 21 05-24-2010 07:17 AM
Driving cross country Wesley TJ General Discussion Forum 13 06-15-2009 09:57 AM

» Rates
Get low rates on auto insurance in Canada!

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:33 AM.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC