Bedlined tub w/rustoleum truck bed coating - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > General Tech Forums > General Jeep Discussion

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 12-28-2012, 06:09 PM   #1
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
andre1002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Merced, California
Posts: 155
Bedlined tub w/rustoleum truck bed coating

The spray on rustoleum was super easy to apply and very forgiving. However the prep work of removing every thing (seats n carpets) and scuffing everything down took a lot longer then I thought it would. Prep took me about 7 hours but, I took my time and did a lot of drinking in-between sanding and scuffing. I used 120 grit sandpaper and a wire wheel on my drill for those tough to reach spots.. the best part about doing this at home is the fact that I did the job for under $40.00 dollars . The line-X guy quoted me $900.00 and that was for them doing prep and all. 700.00 if I did all the prep. Anyway it looks great anf im happy with it. I left all the sound deadning goop on cause some of the carpet will be going back into the rear and I have matts for front seats.


Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20121228_160716.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	159.5 KB
ID:	191584



Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20121228_160833.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	191587



Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20121228_160802.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	191586



Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20121228_160905.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	191589

andre1002 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-28-2012, 06:34 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
CarolinaBound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Home in Langhorne, PA and school at ECU
Posts: 1,165
Images: 6
Looks good, I used the same stuff on my fenders and nerf bars and want to eventually get to the inside

__________________
Poverty/College Budget 2004 TJ BB, 1.25" BL, MML, JK shocks, 313x12.5 Federal MT's

If it can't be fixed with squats or fish oil...your probably gonna die (u aware?)
CarolinaBound is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-28-2012, 06:45 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
Moabrubi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Posts: 1,567
Looks like a quality job, but out of curiosity why would you remove perfectly good paint to put spray paint?
Moabrubi is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-28-2012, 07:25 PM   #4
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
andre1002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Merced, California
Posts: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moabrubi View Post
Looks like a quality job, but out of curiosity why would you remove perfectly good paint to put spray paint?
Because I like to roll with my top down a lot in the summer and taking the carpet in and out every time it rains is not an option. The truck bed liner adds a layer of protection against scratching thus preventing surface rust. And it looks a lot better than the factory paint.
andre1002 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-28-2012, 09:26 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
Moabrubi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Posts: 1,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by andre1002 View Post
Because I like to roll with my top down a lot in the summer and taking the carpet in and out every time it rains is not an option. The truck bed liner adds a layer of protection against scratching thus preventing surface rust. And it looks a lot better than the factory paint.
I strongly disagree with the protection aspect as its just spraypaint, but if your happy that's all that matters.

Don't know about JK's but on TJs you get a lot of heat from the cat through the floor with no carpet, especially during the summer. You might have to throw your carpet back in.
Moabrubi is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-29-2012, 02:33 AM   #6
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
andre1002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Merced, California
Posts: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moabrubi View Post

I strongly disagree with the protection aspect as its just spraypaint, but if your happy that's all that matters.

Ok,, ive had this same "spraypaint" on my nerf bars for the past 2 years. They have been used hard and often bye my 10 y/o son and branches hitting them on the trail. And they still looks just as good as the day I sprayed them. So yes speaking from experance , it DOSE offer plenty of protection. For what I plan on using it for anyway.
andre1002 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-29-2012, 02:37 AM   #7
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
andre1002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Merced, California
Posts: 155
If you do your prep correctly this stuff is almost as tough as the roll on hurculiner but nowhere near as thick. I should mention i did 4 coats .. a little over 1/16th in thick. Heats really not too bad . Ive had the carpet off all last summer and it was a little warmer but not enough to bother me.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20121229_003545.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	191737
andre1002 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-29-2012, 10:02 AM   #8
Jeeper
 
BlakeDuke123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 201
Looks good. I started on mine. What did u do with all the holes. Did u plug, or leave screws in?
BlakeDuke123 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-29-2012, 04:23 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
Moabrubi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Posts: 1,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by andre1002 View Post
Ok,, ive had this same "spraypaint" on my nerf bars for the past 2 years. They have been used hard and often bye my 10 y/o son and branches hitting them on the trail. And they still looks just as good as the day I sprayed them. So yes speaking from experance , it DOSE offer plenty of protection. For what I plan on using it for anyway.
Branches and people stepping on it shouldn't take any paint off. It's just when you drag them on rocks or drag heavy stuff out of the back. I have the same stuff on my bumper and it held up fine except when rocks hit it. 1/16" thick? Doubt it... I'm sure if I took my key down the middle I could go all the way through.

BTW, Prep has nothing to do with how thick it is. Prep is about how well it adheres to the surface.
Moabrubi is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-29-2012, 05:30 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moabrubi View Post
Branches and people stepping on it shouldn't take any paint off. It's just when you drag them on rocks or drag heavy stuff out of the back. I have the same stuff on my bumper and it held up fine except when rocks hit it. 1/16" thick? Doubt it... I'm sure if I took my key down the middle I could go all the way through.

BTW, Prep has nothing to do with how thick it is. Prep is about how well it adheres to the surface.
Why are u so eager to crap on this guy??

I think it looks great and hopefully holds up for you! Nice work.
Bart113000 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-29-2012, 05:43 PM   #11
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
jp2611's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Fort Wayne IN
Posts: 5,717
Nice Job...and FWIW I did my TJ about '06-'07 not sure which...and yeah I do have to touch up here and there a little about once a year or so....comes from hauling rocks and wood in the back end of the Jeep...I went and asked about having it done by a "professional shop" they told me it would be almost double in price because they wouldn't warranty their bedliner unless it was stripped to factory metal, and the liner I had put on was in "real good shape gonna be a PIA to get off". I will keep with my $50 dollar job.....prep is KEY in this job!!
jp2611 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-29-2012, 05:52 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 37
Nice job, I think you will be happy with it.
I used the same stuff to do my tub, flares, and grill last year and all of it has held up very well.
I do get chips in the grill, but a quick touch up is all that it takes to fix it.

I love the stuff in the floor, so much better than carpet. Just pull the plugs and rinse her out.
djrsml is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-29-2012, 06:13 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
Rubicon1968's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 70
I did the same thing and haven't had carpet in my TJ for years with no issues.. I just pulled the seats put some blue tape in a few areas and shot the paint on. Took all of about three hours start to finish.. I touch it up here and there but that only takes a minute or two with the spray can. No sanding or anything and the paint sticks great even under 4" of water--Damm Rain..

Its just a Jeep.. lol

I did my Rockhard cage with the same stuff and touch up my sliders ever year with it too..
__________________
Donate to Wounded warrior Project if you can spare the money-Please pass this message on..
Rubicon1968 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-30-2012, 02:04 AM   #14
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
andre1002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Merced, California
Posts: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeDuke123 View Post
Looks good. I started on mine. What did u do with all the holes. Did u plug, or leave screws in?
Left all the holes open but I did stuff wads of paper in the seat bolt holes. Every thing went back into the jeep today effortlessly. The only draw back so far is the heavy paint odor which I actually dont mind but the wife isnt to fond of.
andre1002 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-30-2012, 02:13 AM   #15
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
andre1002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Merced, California
Posts: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart113000 View Post

Why are u so eager to crap on this guy??

I think it looks great and hopefully holds up for you! Nice work.
Haha i was thinking the same thing^ .. Some folks are just negetive. ???

thanks alot.
andre1002 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-30-2012, 02:21 AM   #16
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
andre1002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Merced, California
Posts: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by djrsml View Post
Nice job, I think you will be happy with it.
I used the same stuff to do my tub, flares, and grill last year and all of it has held up very well.
Can I ask how the flares have held up? I think those will be my next jeep project.
andre1002 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-30-2012, 05:15 AM   #17
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 37
They have held up great, I just wipe them down with armour all every now and then and look like new.
djrsml is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-30-2012, 05:45 AM   #18
Jeeper
 
Ngarc83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Peabody, MA
Posts: 60
Goods job bro. It looks great, I was thinking of doing the same since I already have some rust in the front floor pan. I will be getting new floors soon and as soon as they get install I will be doing the Berliner as well.
Ngarc83 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-30-2012, 06:50 AM   #19
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 37
Just F.Y.I. My buddy and both spayed our frames and undercarriages. He used the bedliner and I used Rustoleum Undercoating.
Both have held up well for just over a year, but I do have a couple of spots that need touched up.
djrsml is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-30-2012, 08:55 PM   #20
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
andre1002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Merced, California
Posts: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by djrsml View Post
Just F.Y.I. My buddy and both spayed our frames and undercarriages. He used the bedliner and I used Rustoleum Undercoating.
Both have held up well for just over a year, but I do have a couple of spots that need touched up.

I thought about doing this but, here where I live in california we are lucky if we see rain a couple months of the year and have zero snow fall So no salts on the road.. Now, if I still lived in Chicago where I am origonally from then I definitly would be looking to undercoat. My father-in-law here in cali has a 64' impalla that he has had since 66', driven daily, never undercoated, and has little to no rust. On the other hand My dad who is still in chicago has a 04' ford ranger and the doors are literally rusting off the hinges.
andre1002 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-30-2012, 09:06 PM   #21
Jeeper
 
Jaxon1023's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Pensacola, FL
Posts: 1,017
That stuffs the best, I'm doing my inside next spring when it warms up. I did my rims today and already did my flares and stock bumpers.

Before



After





Jaxon1023 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-30-2012, 09:17 PM   #22
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Pembroke Pines, FL.
Posts: 446
To the OP. You said you did 4 coats. How much time before you did each coat.
And how many cans did it take?
ljrubitm is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-30-2012, 09:18 PM   #23
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
andre1002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Merced, California
Posts: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxon1023 View Post
That stuffs the best, I'm doing my inside next spring when it warms up. I did my rims today and already did my flares and stock bumpers.

Right on... looks awesome! The things i like about this stuff the most is the ease of application, durability, and for sure you cant beat the cost...($8.00 per can).

Also if it dose chip or scratch just spray over the existing and it will look like new.

I'll be doing my flares and maby the bumpers soon too as mine are starting to fade..

Looks real good..
andre1002 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-30-2012, 09:21 PM   #24
Jeeper
 
dylan1991's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Wichita Falls,Texas
Posts: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by andre1002 View Post
Can I ask how the flares have held up? I think those will be my next jeep project.


I did my flares with this stuff a few weeks ago. I washed them with dish soap to remove any oil and grease on them, scuffed them up REALLY well with sandpaper, and put 4 coats on. They've held up great untill today. I took it to the car wash and hit one with the water from about 2 ft away (no where close to recieving the full brunt of the high pressure) and the stuff just disappeared off of a large part of the left front flare, but held up fine on the other front flare even with the nozzle less than an inch away. Both were preped the same and painted at the same time with the same can. Just a heads up with the stuff. Sometimes it sticks and sometimes it doesn't.
__________________


TEXAS PROUD!
dylan1991 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-30-2012, 09:29 PM   #25
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
andre1002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Merced, California
Posts: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljrubitm View Post
To the OP. You said you did 4 coats. How much time before you did each coat.
And how many cans did it take?
I used 4.5 cans and to be honest dident even need that much.. I bought 4 and had 1 on hand left over from doing my lawn chairs in the back yard.. Near the end I was just re-applying to spots where I knew I would have heavier use like the floor where my son sits and my drivers side footwell.

The time inbetween applications is going to vary with the OAT (if spraying outside) I am lucky enough to have a good sized 2 car garage so I parked it in there and cranked up my propain heater full blast,,, left the garage doors half open and vented with a fan. OAT was 62, inside the garage was a constant 68-70 DEG at the time and I sprayed.. It was dry to the touch about 10 min after each coat but I still gave it another 10 or so min.
andre1002 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-30-2012, 09:39 PM   #26
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
andre1002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Merced, California
Posts: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylan1991 View Post
I did my flares with this stuff a few weeks ago. I washed them with dish soap to remove any oil and grease on them, scuffed them up REALLY well with sandpaper, and put 4 coats on. They've held up great untill today. I took it to the car wash and hit one with the water from about 2 ft away (no where close to recieving the full brunt of the high pressure) and the stuff just disappeared off of a large part of the left front flare, but held up fine on the other front flare even with the nozzle less than an inch away. Both were preped the same and painted at the same time with the same can. Just a heads up with the stuff. Sometimes it sticks and sometimes it doesn't.
Thats interesting.. What about the rear 2? did they hold up? How is the weather by you? I know that if its cold out this stuff may take more than a few weeks to cure properly??

Lucky for me I have cut flares so there isnt all that much surface area to spray.. thanks for the heads up though... also do you have a photo?? I'd like to see what they look like.
andre1002 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-01-2013, 11:38 PM   #27
Jeeper
 
getalildirty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 284
I am going to start prepping tomorrow to spray on thursday. Im going to use rustoleum bedliner spray as well. Only thing im worried about is the amount of rust on the tub and my lack of a sander. Do you think if i leave some rust on the surface i am going to run into serious problems with the spray sticking well?
__________________
'Merica
getalildirty is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-02-2013, 04:52 AM   #28
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
jp2611's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Fort Wayne IN
Posts: 5,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by getalildirty View Post
I am going to start prepping tomorrow to spray on thursday. Im going to use rustoleum bedliner spray as well. Only thing im worried about is the amount of rust on the tub and my lack of a sander. Do you think if i leave some rust on the surface i am going to run into serious problems with the spray sticking well?
I have no experience maybe a painter type guy will post up.....but IMO yeah that will be an issue if it is not completely clean surface.
jp2611 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-02-2013, 09:36 PM   #29
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
andre1002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Merced, California
Posts: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by getalildirty View Post
I am going to start prepping tomorrow to spray on thursday. Im going to use rustoleum bedliner spray as well. Only thing im worried about is the amount of rust on the tub and my lack of a sander. Do you think if i leave some rust on the surface i am going to run into serious problems with the spray sticking well?
I'm pretty sure all the rust should be sanded down (to bare metal) and treated with a rust preventive before you spray over it otherwise you may have issues with it returning and rotting out under your paint..... good luck..

andre1002 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



logo carid shop wrangler parts carid fender flares custom wheels store avs deflectors at carid

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:19 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC