I plan on building this into a Jeep rock crawler, but if I'm installing EVERYTHING on my list then I will be throwing away a TON of parts away that I spent money on and want to avoid doing ANY of that. What would be the best course of action for everything I want done? This includes buying just the body and working on it in a shop from the ground up. Currently I have no Jeep because I don't want to waste my time and money throwing away parts to just replace them.
I'm going overseas to do some work for 6 months and am going to have time to spend studying and researching so any manuals, guides, DIYs to suggest on how to accomplish all this would help me immensely!
- State/federal laws on all of this
- Size of 4dr jeep with only front 2 doors
- If 4 doors, delete the rear 2 doors. If linexing, I should be able to permanently bolt half rear doors in place of the rear doors, angle grind smooth, apply a primer/sealant over the grinding and finish with linex as if doors were never there hopefully
- Squared off roll bars/cage
- LineX exterior tannish brown, army green, or go showy with an orange, yellow, or gecko
- LineX tub, undercarriage, rock sliders, fenders, front/rear bumper, and roll bar black or contrast color to go with a showy orange, yellow, or gecko.
- Hard top that extends from rear all the way to the front driver windows as a solid piece to hide that there used to be rear doors.
- Bolted/welded on swing open rear exit door(s) on back of hardtop so that I can remove hard top WITH the door(s). (I believe still requires a 3rd brake light installed along top ridge of hard top for different state laws)
- Remove spare tire arm off rear and bolt spare tire bracket to swing open rear door
- 5 point harness front seats. Only 6' so preferablly a little height to it
- Replace backseat with 2 bench seats, like these but with 3 or 5 point harness. I want to be able to fold the seats up out of way. http://www.raf.mod.uk/raflyneham/raf...Cargo-hold.jpg
- If installing engine and tranny myself then go with a V8?
- If v6 what pros/cons on bolting on a turbo?
- Rock crawler sliders, fenders, skid plate, differential cover, front/rear bumper with front end tow winch, and headlight/taillight armor.
- 35-40" offroading tires. For local area probably snow optional
- I want a tall enough suspension lift that I can jokingly say "Keeps the fat chicks out" and I can rock crawl in without bottoming out but short enough I don't lose center of gravity. I don't understand the 2" 4" stuff. Do you only get 4"? Is it like 2 feet but has a 4" part? Confused easily.
- Would an exterior intake even be suggested with that high of a lift if I were to hit a flood part of a trail?
- What suggestions on the Driveline?
- Any brake overhaul kits?
After all of the changes I actually want in a Jeep, I feel like I am wasting my money even buying one, because I just want aftermarket parts then custom work done. However, I want this to be my long term project. I don't want a bunch of guys in a shop putting this together and being their baby. I want to know that when I'm driving it around, it was done by hand and with the expert assistance of Wrangler Forum and personal friends. I've done some welding & torching in the past and a little bit of work on '72 bronco and '94 4Runner.