Car Top Carrier - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > General Jeep Discussions > General Jeep Discussion

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 11-19-2009, 08:51 AM   #1
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 705
Car Top Carrier

Hi everyone. I have a '95 Wrangler, hard top. No back seat. My husband and I plan to travel the US for an undetermined length of time, camping etc. I would like to get a car top carrier thing so we don't have the back of the Jeep jam packed full of our belongings (in case we need to sleep in there or something!) Any suggestions as to what to look into for this purpose? I am thinking maybe a hard type of carrier?

__________________
Cheers - Andrea (& Greg!)
---
'95 YJ Rio Grande / 5 spd
'08 JKU / 6 spd
andreafahy01 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-19-2009, 10:19 AM   #2
Sponsoring Vendor
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,612
I'd recommend spending some time with the Quadratec catalog. You've got a lot of options. Yakima makes bars that fit on most hardtops, and then you can use their baskets and cases. There are other companies that make elaborate rack systems that mount to the body - which lets you take the top off plus hold a lot of weight. CargoMaster, Bushman and others make these.

You've also got the 'above-the-spare' storage option. Again, several companies make these (including Bestop). More limited in terms of size and weight, but an option to think about.

Bestop will soon release an Overhead Rack that gives you bars over the back of the Jeep, so you can add our basket or one from someone else. It's pretty neat, but is probably too small for what you want - we went with easy to remove and no-drilling. I think you're going to need something more substantial. (and yet I still mentioned it. I must work in marketing).

You can also go all "Africa" and turn your Wrangler into a full blown safari adventure rig. Put a nice folding tent up on top with a ladder. Not sure if you can do that on a 2 door or not, but it's a cool idea.

Geoff@Bestop is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-19-2009, 10:39 AM   #3
Jeeper
 
birdhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,495
I would give some thought on
a small trailer.
Two people and stuff,camping
coolers,stove, lights...
it takes alot of room
__________________

"locked and loaded"
birdhunter is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-20-2009, 07:25 AM   #4
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff@Bestop View Post
I'd recommend spending some time with the Quadratec catalog. You've got a lot of options. Yakima makes bars that fit on most hardtops, and then you can use their baskets and cases. There are other companies that make elaborate rack systems that mount to the body - which lets you take the top off plus hold a lot of weight. CargoMaster, Bushman and others make these.

You've also got the 'above-the-spare' storage option. Again, several companies make these (including Bestop). More limited in terms of size and weight, but an option to think about.

Bestop will soon release an Overhead Rack that gives you bars over the back of the Jeep, so you can add our basket or one from someone else. It's pretty neat, but is probably too small for what you want - we went with easy to remove and no-drilling. I think you're going to need something more substantial. (and yet I still mentioned it. I must work in marketing).

You can also go all "Africa" and turn your Wrangler into a full blown safari adventure rig. Put a nice folding tent up on top with a ladder. Not sure if you can do that on a 2 door or not, but it's a cool idea.
Thank you lots for the tips, I will certainly be looking into all of these!
__________________
Cheers - Andrea (& Greg!)
---
'95 YJ Rio Grande / 5 spd
'08 JKU / 6 spd
andreafahy01 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-20-2009, 07:26 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdhunter View Post
I would give some thought on
a small trailer.
Two people and stuff,camping
coolers,stove, lights...
it takes alot of room
I will admit this has crossed my mind more than once, I just really don't want to haul a trailer around....
__________________
Cheers - Andrea (& Greg!)
---
'95 YJ Rio Grande / 5 spd
'08 JKU / 6 spd
andreafahy01 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-20-2009, 09:19 AM   #6
Jeeper
 
RedWrangler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Morrisville, PA
Posts: 1,165
If you have receivers (Front and/or rear), you can go with trays that slide right in. These can hold quite a bit, and you can easily slide them in and out when you are at your destination and don't wat 2 feet of metal sticking out the front or back or both.
RedWrangler is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-20-2009, 09:23 AM   #7
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWrangler View Post
If you have receivers (Front and/or rear), you can go with trays that slide right in. These can hold quite a bit, and you can easily slide them in and out when you are at your destination and don't wat 2 feet of metal sticking out the front or back or both.
I'll be frank with you, I have no clue what you are describing! I'm not sure what receivers are... can you show me a picture of what you are telling me about?
__________________
Cheers - Andrea (& Greg!)
---
'95 YJ Rio Grande / 5 spd
'08 JKU / 6 spd
andreafahy01 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-20-2009, 09:25 AM   #8
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWrangler View Post
If you have receivers (Front and/or rear), you can go with trays that slide right in. These can hold quite a bit, and you can easily slide them in and out when you are at your destination and don't wat 2 feet of metal sticking out the front or back or both.
I decided to not be lazy and went to google, you mean like this?

__________________
Cheers - Andrea (& Greg!)
---
'95 YJ Rio Grande / 5 spd
'08 JKU / 6 spd
andreafahy01 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-20-2009, 09:35 AM   #9
Jeeper
 
birdhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,495
Yes that is what he is talking about,
They also make one that goes over the spare tire
That one looks alittle small they make bigger ones
that go across the whole back of jeep
big enough for 2 big coolers plus stuff
__________________

"locked and loaded"
birdhunter is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-20-2009, 09:37 AM   #10
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdhunter View Post
Yes that is what he is talking about,
They also make one that goes over the spare tire
That one looks alittle small they make bigger ones
that go across the whole back of jeep
big enough for 2 big coolers plus stuff
Thanks guys! I have seen those in use around town before and it didn't even cross my mind as an option for us, thanks!
__________________
Cheers - Andrea (& Greg!)
---
'95 YJ Rio Grande / 5 spd
'08 JKU / 6 spd
andreafahy01 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-20-2009, 09:51 AM   #11
Sponsoring Vendor
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,612


I think these are decent inexpensive options (you can get them at farm stores for about a hundred bucks). And I might consider it myself for a short trip with too much luggage. But I don't really like them. They take away the "Jeepness" of your rig. With that hanging out the back, it's obvious you aren't going off pavement. They're also not secure -you'd need to add a locking box or something.

The whole point of going cross country in a Jeep is that you are going to go to places you can't easily get to in a Taurus. The north rim of the Grand Canyon, Grand Staircase national monument, the open beach in Washington State. The fire lookout in the Idaho panhandle. Wherever. But not with that thing hanging off the back.

You know, as long as I'm spending your money for your trip (but I'm jealous!) I'm thinking trailer might be a good option. I always wanted a little tent trailer, with a kayak and bikes on the top. Throw in that huge Yakima space case for extra luggage.
Geoff@Bestop is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-20-2009, 10:41 AM   #12
Jeeper
 
RedWrangler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Morrisville, PA
Posts: 1,165
Geoff, you are undone by your own argument. Try dragging a trailer up the trail. I know there are some meant for offroad use, but talk about limiting jeepiness.... What do you do when the hitch high centers over a bump?
RedWrangler is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-20-2009, 11:09 AM   #13
Sponsoring Vendor
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWrangler View Post
Geoff, you are undone by your own argument. Try dragging a trailer up the trail. I know there are some meant for offroad use, but talk about limiting jeepiness.... What do you do when the hitch high centers over a bump?
I've been undone by worse things!
The GAFahy's trip sounds like a total blast no matter what they end up doing for extra storage. The neat thing about Jeeps is the ability to customize exactly the way they want, and my opinions should count for very little in their decision. So, I don't want to sound like one of those guys who gets all bent when people don't follow his advice.

So that said, if it were me, I'd get a trailer and leave it set up at campgrounds and go on short trips from "base camp." I'd also get one of those back road tent trailers with big tires.

JimBox has one - not a great photo of it here, but I bet he sees this and posts a better one. You think this looks less off-road worthy than having a hitch box?

Geoff@Bestop is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-20-2009, 11:22 AM   #14
Jeeper
 
RedWrangler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Morrisville, PA
Posts: 1,165
Hey, everything has its pros and cons, and yes, I do think the trailer is less trail worthy. But you know what they say, opinions are like hemmorhoids, every a$$hole gets them. Dragging a trailer over obstacles is not my idea of fun. I've seen people hang their hitch up just leaving or entering a parking lot, let alone going through a gully or over a ledge. The trays would certainly affect the angle of approach to any obstacle too, so either way sucks if you're really going backwoods. If that's your plan, a roof rack is the way to go.

I think a trailer would be nicer for loading and unloading, and weather would not be an issue, although dry bags are pretty good for protection with an open solution.

The hitchbox trays are easily removed at the campsite or hotel and you don't pay extra tolls for another axle on toll roads and bridges, so that's a plus for them.

Or, you can always buy a bigger truck and have all the room you need.
RedWrangler is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-20-2009, 11:28 AM   #15
Sponsoring Vendor
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWrangler View Post
Or, you can always buy a bigger truck and have all the room you need.
I do not understand this at all. What is this "bigger truck" thing you speak of?

Actually, I'm thinking of working on my banker, um, I mean, wife, this weekend to see if I can get this. $2k on Craigslist.

Geoff@Bestop is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-20-2009, 02:03 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
RedWrangler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Morrisville, PA
Posts: 1,165
classic.
RedWrangler is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-21-2009, 10:23 AM   #17
Jeeper
 
bigskydrift's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Western Montana - Home of the Griz!
Posts: 70
but if a person did want a trailer, one of these could be pretty nice.....
Terrain Rated Jeep trailers and off road tent trailers by Tentrax
bigskydrift is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-21-2009, 11:11 AM   #18
Jeeper
 
JIMBOX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 9,914
Heh Heh, thanx Geoff


Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff@Bestop View Post
I've been undone by worse things!
The GAFahy's trip sounds like a total blast no matter what they end up doing for extra storage. The neat thing about Jeeps is the ability to customize exactly the way they want, and my opinions should count for very little in their decision. So, I don't want to sound like one of those guys who gets all bent when people don't follow his advice.

So that said, if it were me, I'd get a trailer and leave it set up at campgrounds and go on short trips from "base camp." I'd also get one of those back road tent trailers with big tires.

JimBox has one - not a great photo of it here, but I bet he sees this and posts a better one. You think this looks less off-road worthy than having a hitch box?

My Tentrax trailer will follow my jeep ANYWHERE and it has 14" clearance, with VERY low ctr of gravity

I've had it angled on some BIG rocks and it's pretty steady

Quote:
This was at DONNER lake in early May this year, by using a "Lock & Roll" hitch, the trailer will take almost any angle the jeep can enter and won't disconnect-the safety chains come off as soon as I get off of the pavement, but

Because of quality and light weight (600lbs), usually 900lbs when fully loaded (pic) and I can disconnect and manuever the trailer by myself

You pay for this-this one "CARGO" model 3 years ago was $8000 bucks and I've modified it since, (just like jeeps) Terrain Rated off road tent trailers by Tentrax

I've seen them sell USED for 2500 bucks--but thats rare

Checkitout

JIMBO
__________________
"ya gotta have class"
JIMBOX is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-25-2009, 02:13 AM   #19
Jeeper
 
bigskydrift's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Western Montana - Home of the Griz!
Posts: 70
quadratech has many nice racks, but spendy......I am looking for a rack as well, hoping to find something a bit cheaper (in price!) ????
bigskydrift is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-25-2010, 08:55 PM   #20
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 705
So this thread went by the wayside..... !! We never made any travels, plans changed drastically and we've stayed put so to speak for now. I'm sort of keeping my eyes peeled for a used safari rack for my YJ for whatever I might need it for. We picked up a couple of kayaks that could get hauled on top, etc. but the JK fits pretty much everything with the top down so I just haven't worried about it for now.
__________________
Cheers - Andrea (& Greg!)
---
'95 YJ Rio Grande / 5 spd
'08 JKU / 6 spd
andreafahy01 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-07-2010, 01:39 AM   #21
Newb
 
optimum68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Nanaimo, British Columbia
Posts: 5
Images: 11
/Us

optimum68 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Spare Tire Carrier bayman YJ General Discussion Forum 17 04-22-2010 07:20 AM
Ski carrier Frat36 General Jeep Discussion 2 09-14-2009 06:28 PM
Carrier slf41002 TJ General Discussion Forum 2 05-10-2009 10:01 AM
Daystar RockCrusher Tire Carrier $150 (CA) SurfnSnow Classifieds Archive 2 06-12-2008 06:46 PM
Help Cargo Carrier??? BYPASS TJ General Discussion Forum 2 03-27-2006 01:06 PM



» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:08 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC