Do you know "that" guy?? - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > General Jeep Discussions > General Jeep Discussion

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 12-08-2013, 01:19 AM   #1
Jeeper
 
CTX-Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 502
Do you know "that" guy??

I have this buddy, he may see this, that has a jeep. I go ride around with him and the whole time I'm just cringing because of the way he just beats the hell outta his jeep. Every time I'm with him all I can think about is how I could never be that rough on my jeep. Do any of y'all have a friend or someone you know who makes you feel bad for their jeep??

CTX-Ross is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-08-2013, 01:23 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
Teague242's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Pottsville, Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTX-Ross View Post
I have this buddy, he may see this, that has a jeep. I go ride around with him and the whole time I'm just cringing because of the way he just beats the hell outta his jeep. Every time I'm with him all I can think about is how I could never be that rough on my jeep. Do any of y'all have a friend or someone you know who makes you feel bad for their jeep??
I know a guy who went through 2 transmissions in two Cherokees in about a month... Same guy had driveline problems with 3 subarus....

I have had all 4 tires in the air with my wrangler and Cherokee... Never had a problem yet.

Don't know how he does it.....

Teague242 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-08-2013, 09:50 AM   #3
Jeeper
 
Hexiled Razz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: North-western Pennsylvania
Posts: 382
No jeeper buddies like that, however I have a coworker who claims he's put 2 engines and 4 trannies in his 94 ford side flare. He claims it's because he "treats his truck like a truck". But if you're replacing engines and trannies that often... You're doing something wrong.
__________________
2000 TJ Sahara, Spartan reman 4.0, 3 speed auto, Bestop Trektop NX, C&C Fabs 3" flare tube fenders, Rampage euro grille guard, stock suspension, 31" Duratracs.
Hexiled Razz is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-08-2013, 10:19 AM   #4
Jeeper
 
CTX-Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hexiled Razz View Post
No jeeper buddies like that, however I have a coworker who claims he's put 2 engines and 4 trannies in his 94 ford side flare. He claims it's because he "treats his truck like a truck". But if you're replacing engines and trannies that often... You're doing something wrong.
Yea hahaha I'm pretty sure if you're just "treating it like a truck" and you've had to do all that.... You need to reevaluate something
CTX-Ross is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-08-2013, 02:53 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
bc3_Jeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: NE corner of Iowa
Posts: 1,654
I would not treat one of the "new" Jeeps like I treat mine, that would be foolish. Mine will do whatever I ask... and no lost trannies or engines yet.
__________________
"For Gawd's sake, put a RELAY in there or you could burn the whole damn Jeep to the ground" ...this quote brought to you by people who do not understand the law.....Kirchoff's, Ohm's, or Faraday's.
Violation of KISS shall always ring false in TRUE engineering. - ME___
Had 75CJ5, 89YJ, 93YJ. Have 82CJ7 & 95YJ____Not one burnt yet due to lack of relays.
bc3_Jeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-08-2013, 05:19 PM   #6
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
chucky cheese's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: We eat stuff outa ditches!
Posts: 4,011
Depends on what can you afford. I have a hard time beating up any vehicle because of cost. But if you can afford the repairs and replacement that is up to you.
__________________
It ain't easy being cheesy:

Sometimes I make decisions like famous people.
George Armstrong Custer "lets go over that hill, I think those are friendly indians!"

Titanic's Captain Smith "What icebergs? Full speed ahead!"
chucky cheese is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-08-2013, 06:52 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
CTX-Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucky cheese View Post
Depends on what can you afford. I have a hard time beating up any vehicle because of cost. But if you can afford the repairs and replacement that is up to you.
Yea you make a point but I don't think if I could afford any repair needed I would still be overly hard on a vehicle
CTX-Ross is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-08-2013, 06:55 PM   #8
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
chucky cheese's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: We eat stuff outa ditches!
Posts: 4,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTX-Ross View Post
Yea you make a point but I don't think if I could afford any repair needed I would still be overly hard on a vehicle
I am with you on that. Sometimes they seem almost human if you own it long enough. Or like a horse. Feed it and take care of it it won't let you down.
__________________
It ain't easy being cheesy:

Sometimes I make decisions like famous people.
George Armstrong Custer "lets go over that hill, I think those are friendly indians!"

Titanic's Captain Smith "What icebergs? Full speed ahead!"
chucky cheese is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-08-2013, 07:05 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
CTX-Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucky cheese View Post
I am with you on that. Sometimes they seem almost human if you own it long enough. Or like a horse. Feed it and take care of it it won't let you down.
Lol I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks like that. I feel like I'm beating a kid or something any time i have to be a little rough on my jeep.
CTX-Ross is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-08-2013, 08:27 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
Shark_13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Idaho
Posts: 1,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTX-Ross View Post
Lol I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks like that. I feel like I'm beating a kid or something any time i have to be a little rough on my jeep.
Lol no kidding
Shark_13 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-08-2013, 11:04 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
Lando25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Southern Minnesota
Posts: 1,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTX-Ross View Post
Lol I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks like that. I feel like I'm beating a kid or something any time i have to be a little rough on my jeep.
This is pretty much how I feel when I drive anything not just my jeep.
__________________
sic vis pacem para bellum
OlllllllO
Lando25 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-08-2013, 11:13 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
Tweak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Keller, TX
Posts: 2,382
think it might be me!
Tweak is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-09-2013, 02:01 AM   #13
Jeeper
 
Teague242's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Pottsville, Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweak View Post
think it might be me!
What happenned when you pulled forwards? Lol
Teague242 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-09-2013, 10:36 AM   #14
Jeeper
 
Tweak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Keller, TX
Posts: 2,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teague242 View Post

What happenned when you pulled forwards? Lol
It drove out
Tweak is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-09-2013, 10:57 AM   #15
Jeeper
 
derf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Cedar Rapids, IA
Posts: 1,286
Eh. I figure it's his Jeep. If he wants to beat on it that's on him.

I wheel with some people who soundly beat on their rigs every time they're out. They build them to take it and they know they will break something eventually. When they do, they upgrade whatever broke.

Now, I have wheeled with a couple of people who beat the snot out of a stock Jeep to the point of breaking stuff and they keep replacing parts with whatever is cheapest. 90% of the time they spend on the trails involves rescuing them from wherever they were when they broke. Again. I don't wheel with people like that if I can help it.
__________________
2012 JK - 3.6/NSG370/NP241/D30/D44 - Grimm Jeeper
1986 J10 - 360/700R4/NP208/D44HD/D60FF - Truck Norris

My gear ratio calculator
derf is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-09-2013, 11:18 AM   #16
Jeeper
 
CTX-Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
Eh. I figure it's his Jeep. If he wants to beat on it that's on him. I wheel with some people who soundly beat on their rigs every time they're out. They build them to take it and they know they will break something eventually. When they do, they upgrade whatever broke. Now, I have wheeled with a couple of people who beat the snot out of a stock Jeep to the point of breaking stuff and they keep replacing parts with whatever is cheapest. 90% of the time they spend on the trails involves rescuing them from wherever they were when they broke. Again. I don't wheel with people like that if I can help it.
He's a great friend and I'll go with him anywhere.. It's just hard for me to watch him beat on his rig. But it it gets broke, he shrugs it off and replaces with good quality parts.
CTX-Ross is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-09-2013, 11:56 AM   #17
Moderator

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
Sinister6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 5,082
Yup! Absolutely! Constantly showing off, won't listen to a spotter, never has ANY tools or does not bring a spare then expects everyone else to spend their day fixing or pulling him out.
I learned very quickly who I liked to wheel with and the group I avoid. I don't apologize for that attitude either!! Things happen I get that but GO PREPARED or stay home!
I have no problem helping someone out in any situation...but when you go looking for it and don't have any tools?? Sorry! That goes for preventative Maintinance too! It seems it's the same group that always has an issue wants help but never does anything to help themselves.
__________________
The Wolf is not concerned with the opinion of sheep.

MY BUILD: :
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f322/si...ad-235526.html
Sinister6 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-09-2013, 12:55 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
derf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Cedar Rapids, IA
Posts: 1,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinister6 View Post
Yup! Absolutely! Constantly showing off, won't listen to a spotter, never has ANY tools or does not bring a spare then expects everyone else to spend their day fixing or pulling him out.
I learned very quickly who I liked to wheel with and the group I avoid. I don't apologize for that attitude either!! Things happen I get that but GO PREPARED or stay home!
I have no problem helping someone out in any situation...but when you go looking for it and don't have any tools?? Sorry! That goes for preventative Maintinance too! It seems it's the same group that always has an issue wants help but never does anything to help themselves.
Yep. That's part of the equation. If you're going to beat on your rig but you're not prepared to deal with the carnage I'm a lot less likely to pitch in and help beyond getting you out of the way.
__________________
2012 JK - 3.6/NSG370/NP241/D30/D44 - Grimm Jeeper
1986 J10 - 360/700R4/NP208/D44HD/D60FF - Truck Norris

My gear ratio calculator
derf is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-09-2013, 03:06 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
Scott-CJ8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Huntersville, NC
Posts: 434
When I had my Samurai, I used to wheel with a bunch of guys (The Bedford Boys) and their goal was to 'roll it', drown it, .... just push 'em to the limit, then rebuild it!
Boy! they were fun to watch! But that's what they had in mind when they started out. More power to 'em!
That being said, they were also responsible enough not to ask me to do the same.
Can ya say "Hey Ya'll, watch this!" ????
I enjoy pushing the limits at times, but I also need to drive home, so I keep it safe.
__________________
It's a Jeep Thing ... I do understand!

Scott
1993 Jeep Wrangler
Scott-CJ8 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-10-2013, 10:10 AM   #20
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Plymouth, Vermont
Posts: 373
If you bought it cheaply, then flog the hell out of it!
If you worked hard for your money and paid decent $$ for your rig, then if you have any self respect, you'll use it and take care of it.
I know people who "go muddin'" with their DD 4wd and break parts that they can't afford to repair or replace. So they have to sideline their rig till they have enough money to fix it and beg or borrow a ride for 4 or 5 months. And all they do is get a case of beer and laugh about it. All I can say is that it must suck to be them.
Vt rider is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-11-2013, 05:39 PM   #21
Guesses a lot ;)

WF Supporting Member
 
OregonPlinker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Creswell, OR.
Posts: 878
Theres a difference between being hard on rigs and having total mechanical lack of knowledge, not knowing how to drive or wheel and just tearing stuff up.. Generally people that go thru transmissions, engines and drive lines one after the other repeatedly are just not real bright and to prideful to learn from others. Instead of listening and asking they try to bluff by beating the crap out of the rig like they arent scared...

Dont get me wrong, Im HARD on rigs. But, Ive had more vehicles than I feel like trying to remember right now and most of them were 4x4 or fast cars and trucks. Ive never blown an engine. Ive skipped teeth on timing belts, had 2 auto trannys go out, replaced 3 clutches and have busted 2 front ends. Out of somewhere around 25 rigs..Along with all the usual maintenance starter alternator carb problems you go thru of course...

I know people that can demolish any car in like a week or even a day in some cases. My cousin just tore a new clutch out of a geo metro, his brother fixed it for him and then he blew the fresh motor the next week. The damn thing just got all rebuilt by my grandmas neighbor over the summer then he sold it to my cousin. It only has like 40hp or something. How the hell do you smoke a new clutch with a hamster wheel motor and wheel barrel tires? lol Its like that with every rig he gets too...
__________________
91 Laredo, 4.0ho, TF999, Magnaflow exhaust, Yukon rear axles, Spartan Lockers, Posi locker, 3.5 inch springs, 1"MML, 1"BL, 1"shackles, trimmed fenders, raised flares, 35x13.50s.
OregonPlinker is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-11-2013, 10:03 PM   #22
Jeeper
 
floridajpr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Jacksonville, Florida
Posts: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonPlinker View Post
Theres a difference between being hard on rigs and having total mechanical lack of knowledge, not knowing how to drive or wheel and just tearing stuff up.. Generally people that go thru transmissions, engines and drive lines one after the other repeatedly are just not real bright and to prideful to learn from others. Instead of listening and asking they try to bluff by beating the crap out of the rig like they arent scared...

Dont get me wrong, Im HARD on rigs. But, Ive had more vehicles than I feel like trying to remember right now and most of them were 4x4 or fast cars and trucks. Ive never blown an engine. Ive skipped teeth on timing belts, had 2 auto trannys go out, replaced 3 clutches and have busted 2 front ends. Out of somewhere around 25 rigs..Along with all the usual maintenance starter alternator carb problems you go thru of course...

I know people that can demolish any car in like a week or even a day in some cases. My cousin just tore a new clutch out of a geo metro, his brother fixed it for him and then he blew the fresh motor the next week. The damn thing just got all rebuilt by my grandmas neighbor over the summer then he sold it to my cousin. It only has like 40hp or something. How the hell do you smoke a new clutch with a hamster wheel motor and wheel barrel tires? lol Its like that with every rig he gets too...
My good buddy's wife is like that on her vehicles. She just gets in them and it's all gas pedal and slamming on the brakes, running over stuff on the roads or highways, tearing transmission and oil pans off only to drive it till it wont go anymore and then tell her husband that something's wrong with her vehicle. He then asks her if she seen any red or amber lights on the dash and she says ,yes I think there were some lights on the dash! My buddy, why didn't you pull over and call me or a tow truck? My buddy's wife, well it was still running! OH< BROTHER! Now I love them and there family to death but JUST WOW! She's been through four or five vehicles like that now!
__________________
Florida Native Cracker Tryin to deal with the Yank's and Snowbird's that keep coming down to start controversy here in Florida!
floridajpr is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-13-2013, 11:43 AM   #23
Guesses a lot ;)

WF Supporting Member
 
OregonPlinker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Creswell, OR.
Posts: 878
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridajpr View Post
My good buddy's wife is like that on her vehicles. She just gets in them and it's all gas pedal and slamming on the brakes, running over stuff on the roads or highways, tearing transmission and oil pans off only to drive it till it wont go anymore and then tell her husband that something's wrong with her vehicle. He then asks her if she seen any red or amber lights on the dash and she says ,yes I think there were some lights on the dash! My buddy, why didn't you pull over and call me or a tow truck? My buddy's wife, well it was still running! OH< BROTHER! Now I love them and there family to death but JUST WOW! She's been through four or five vehicles like that now!
Yep, my sister in law is like that too. Problem is her husband is the same way.lol. They had a vw passat that required synthetic oil and when the guy at the oil shop told them it would cost a little more they told him to put the cheaper stuff in that it would be fine. Like 500 miles later they are stranded in Washington with a fried turbo. Fixed the turbo and then the engine went.

Of course its the stupid vw's fault and they are just complete POS cars blah blah blah. Then they get pissed when I tell them "well we have 240k on our GTI and Ive driven it across the country with the cruise set on 103mph and its a great car to this day"... lol Really ruffled their feathers
__________________
91 Laredo, 4.0ho, TF999, Magnaflow exhaust, Yukon rear axles, Spartan Lockers, Posi locker, 3.5 inch springs, 1"MML, 1"BL, 1"shackles, trimmed fenders, raised flares, 35x13.50s.
OregonPlinker is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-13-2013, 11:59 AM   #24
Jeeper
 
2five22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,788
There are a few here. You've seen the posts - the one where the owner is torqued because the ECM won't let him do burnouts in 4wd. The one who can't understand why he can't drift his Jeep like the movies. The one who slam shifts their manual and does neutral drops in their auto transmission, only to cry loudly when it goes into limp mode.
2five22 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-13-2013, 03:29 PM   #25
Jeeper
 
CTX-Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2five22 View Post
There are a few here. You've seen the posts - the one where the owner is torqued because the ECM won't let him do burnouts in 4wd. The one who can't understand why he can't drift his Jeep like the movies. The one who slam shifts their manual and does neutral drops in their auto transmission, only to cry loudly when it goes into limp mode.
Lol those are just the ones who have ZERO clue about how mechanical stuff works
CTX-Ross is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-13-2013, 06:55 PM   #26
Jeeper
 
JadaMinrod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTX-Ross View Post
I have this buddy, he may see this, that has a jeep. I go ride around with him and the whole time I'm just cringing because of the way he just beats the hell outta his jeep. Every time I'm with him all I can think about is how I could never be that rough on my jeep. Do any of y'all have a friend or someone you know who makes you feel bad for their jeep??
Omg yes. Its Horrible! I legit rubbed the dashboard and apologized and told it im sorry for being beat so bad hahah he told me im crazy but oh its terrible im not sure how something didnt blow out yet haha.
JadaMinrod is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-16-2013, 12:42 PM   #27
Guesses a lot ;)

WF Supporting Member
 
OregonPlinker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Creswell, OR.
Posts: 878
Oh good god the slam shift.... When I took my nephew to test drive his Cherokee he was jerking it through the gears before he even had the clutch down. The owner of the rig was in the back seat. It was embarrassing! I wanted to smack him.

His first car was a stick shift but I guess something was out of whack with it so he learned to "power shift" instead of drive like a human being. I got him to start driving normal after a few rides coaching him on shifts and down shifts but he screwed something up with 2nd gear before he got it down. Probably on the test drive actually... It grinds almost every time he shifts from 1st to 2nd but when I drive it I can shift through every gear with no clutch and no problems or noises... Still dont understand it.lol

__________________
91 Laredo, 4.0ho, TF999, Magnaflow exhaust, Yukon rear axles, Spartan Lockers, Posi locker, 3.5 inch springs, 1"MML, 1"BL, 1"shackles, trimmed fenders, raised flares, 35x13.50s.
OregonPlinker is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:37 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC