flat tow bar - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > General Jeep Discussions > General Jeep Discussion

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 05-04-2013, 10:19 PM   #1
Newb
 
Sasha Schaefer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Indiana
Posts: 10
flat tow bar

Seen an awesome flat tow bar on a jeep today tried a few places to find one haven't yet any suggestions? Looking for one that doesn't stick to far out .

Sasha Schaefer is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-04-2013, 11:44 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
Off Pavement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: The Silver State
Posts: 620
How about one that stays on the tow vehicle and is easy to hitch-up by yourself?

Blue Ox Towbar

__________________
The Road To Paradise Is NOT Paved
Off Pavement is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-05-2013, 10:16 AM   #3
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Dallas, GA.
Posts: 839
Quote:
Originally Posted by off pavement View Post
how about one that stays on the tow vehicle and is easy to hitch-up by yourself?

blue ox towbar

x2
__________________
'13 JKUR 10th Anniversary
Billet, Red int., auto, 4:10, Towed behind motorhome
'12 Ram 2500 Laramie, Cummins H.O.
'09 Dodge Charger Daytona, 1 of 400
Several Antique and pro-tour cars
parker65 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-07-2013, 04:16 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 24
I have used blue ox for the last 10 yrs on both my Jeep Cherokee and Jeep Wrangler and I have to say I am very pleased. It was a good investment. My Cherokee has been from NY to Yellowstone and back with out any issues.
Wrangler part 2 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-07-2013, 07:27 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
Y-Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Tri-Cities, WA
Posts: 819
Hard to say there are a bunch out there, here's a list of popular ones you can start looking at to see if they match what you saw.
Readybrake RV Tow Bars and RV Surge Braking Systems for Car Towing - NSA RV Products
Roadmaster Inc. - Tow Bars, Braking Systems & RV Accessories
Blue Ox Products
Blue Ox Products
__________________
2011 JKU Sahara; Sahara Tan, Leather, 3.73, Auto, Hard/Soft Top, SpiderWebShade, Dead Pedal, Skid Row Foot Pegs
Y-Guy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-08-2013, 12:23 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Dallas, GA.
Posts: 839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrangler part 2 View Post
I have used blue ox for the last 10 yrs on both my Jeep Cherokee and Jeep Wrangler and I have to say I am very pleased. It was a good investment. My Cherokee has been from NY to Yellowstone and back with out any issues.
Just an FYI in case you haven't done so or been told.

If you've been using the same Blue Ox tow bar for 10 years , it should be inspected and serviced on a regular basis depending on how much you use it. There are parts which wear over time and it should also be checked for any stress cracks at the weld seams as well as play/slop in the sliding links.

Contrary to some peoples belief, tow bars do have a service life as well as servicable components. Blue Ox and others offer inspection, repair and rebuild services at most of the major FMCA or Good Sam rallies. That's where I get mine inspected or any replacement parts neccessary.

Don't neglect an inspection on an older tow bar. I've seen several posts lately on different RV forums of the tow bar breaking and coming apart while in tow. In almost every single instance it was an older, high mileage tow bar that hadn't had an inspection or service ever in it's lifetime. Two of the instances the bar had been purchased used, with no knowledge of it's previous use or service.

Every mechanical device will wear out eventually. Maintenance and up-keep are the key to long service and getting your money's worth from a product. Be safe and many happy travels.
__________________
'13 JKUR 10th Anniversary
Billet, Red int., auto, 4:10, Towed behind motorhome
'12 Ram 2500 Laramie, Cummins H.O.
'09 Dodge Charger Daytona, 1 of 400
Several Antique and pro-tour cars
parker65 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-08-2013, 12:37 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by parker65 View Post

Just an FYI in case you haven't done so or been told.

If you've been using the same Blue Ox tow bar for 10 years , it should be inspected and serviced on a regular basis depending on how much you use it. There are parts which wear over time and it should also be checked for any stress cracks at the weld seams as well as play/slop in the sliding links.

Contrary to some peoples belief, tow bars do have a service life as well as servicable components. Blue Ox and others offer inspection, repair and rebuild services at most of the major FMCA or Good Sam rallies. That's where I get mine inspected or any replacement parts neccessary.

Don't neglect an inspection on an older tow bar. I've seen several posts lately on different RV forums of the tow bar breaking and coming apart while in tow. In almost every single instance it was an older, high mileage tow bar that hadn't had an inspection or service ever in it's lifetime. Two of the instances the bar had been purchased used, with no knowledge of it's previous use or service.

Every mechanical device will wear out eventually. Maintenance and up-keep are the key to long service and getting your money's worth from a product. Be safe and many happy travels.
Excellent point I absolutely keep on top of the of it with an inspection every year and recently rebuilt it. All of the parts that wear are available for purchase.

Wrangler part 2 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:07 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC