front license plate mounting - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > General Jeep Discussions > General Jeep Discussion

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 08-14-2010, 10:07 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: san antonio Texas
Posts: 25
Arrow front license plate mounting

I recently installed a SRC smitty built front bumper and realized that it didnt have a place to mount my front license plate. does anyone have ideas about how to mount it without taking away the cool look? thanks in advance

Regan Powell is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-14-2010, 10:11 PM   #2
Happy Holidays

WF Supporting Member
::WF Administrator::
 
distortedtj's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: yep right there.
Posts: 21,378
Send a message via Yahoo to distortedtj
Do you have a winch?

distortedtj is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-14-2010, 10:13 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: san antonio Texas
Posts: 25
nope
Regan Powell is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-15-2010, 12:18 AM   #4
Jeeper
 
turdhurdler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Hemet, CA Hemet is Heaven...
Posts: 7,288
Send a message via AIM to turdhurdler
You can purchase the small "bull bar" bracket they offer. Then get a couple of clamps and run it off of that. I have the same bumper and just don't run a plate. So far no hassles from the local PD on it.

Jeff
__________________
Mall crawlin' in 4 Lo.
turdhurdler is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-15-2010, 01:16 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
GroundHawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: northeast ohio
Posts: 2,274
nope. they look dorky.

here in Ohio we're required to run a front plate. well my Rugged Ridge bumper didn't have a spot for one. I drilled the bumper up and used 2 bolts, 4 washers, and 4 nuts

still looks retarded, but what can you do?



if you're interested I can take close up shots of the arrangement of washers and nuts, but it's pretty self explanatory
GroundHawg is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-15-2010, 02:27 AM   #6
Jeeper
 
ColdSRT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Fairbanks,AK
Posts: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundHawg View Post
nope. they look dorky.

here in Ohio we're required to run a front plate. well my Rugged Ridge bumper didn't have a spot for one. I drilled the bumper up and used 2 bolts, 4 washers, and 4 nuts

still looks retarded, but what can you do?



if you're interested I can take close up shots of the arrangement of washers and nuts, but it's pretty self explanatory

Nice looking bumper. I have the same one but with the winch setup. I bought the fairlead mount from rugged ridge. Pretty good option if you have to run a front plate. Your way is about the only other way short of a strong magnetic bar attached to the plate like dealer plates are. Don't know how it would do on powdercoat though.
ColdSRT is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-15-2010, 02:44 AM   #7
Jeeper
 
GroundHawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: northeast ohio
Posts: 2,274
yeah that's the winch one. it's got the holes and sh*t for one, I just don't have the winch. I've GOT to doll up that front end because of that stupid plate. it looks awful. some light and a stinger might pull it off, maybe stubby that bumper.

yeah I don't know about that magnet either. I'd be paranoid somebody would steal my plate just to be a schmuck at least bolted, they need a ratchet
GroundHawg is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-15-2010, 02:53 AM   #8
Jeeper
 
ColdSRT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Fairbanks,AK
Posts: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundHawg View Post
yeah that's the winch one. it's got the holes and sh*t for one, I just don't have the winch. I've GOT to doll up that front end because of that stupid plate. it looks awful. some light and a stinger might pull it off, maybe stubby that bumper.

yeah I don't know about that magnet either. I'd be paranoid somebody would steal my plate just to be a schmuck at least bolted, they need a ratchet
I don't blame you. I wouldn't want it getting stolen either. Have you checked your laws for the plate? I checked in my local to see the actual written law and the wording. I even argued with a trooper about it. I did not want to drill my bumper on my challenger and I asked them to look up the law at the trooper station because two troopers couldn't give me a straight answer. Sure enough it states that the top edge must be at least 12" off the ground and visible from the front of the vehicle. So as long as it's clearly visible and higher than 12" you are in the clear. The trooper kept trying to say that I should make some kind of bracket or something for the bumper. I had him out the statute and keep a copy in the glovebox. What I did was velcro the plate to the back side of my passenger visor. Folded down I still have good vision and the plate is highly visible through the windshield. Out on the trail just fold it up. Just an idea if you want to clean up the bumper and your law is worded the same as ours.
ColdSRT is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-15-2010, 03:02 AM   #9
Jeeper
 
GroundHawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: northeast ohio
Posts: 2,274
interesting. I've never read the law, but I think your idea would work. I see folks driving cars around with a plate on the dash. that might work here.

we don't have many laws at all here. no fenders are legal, stubbies are ok, no inspections, etc. the few we do have the local bacon is a real a** on, so I try not to push it. it's bad enough I run doorless without mirrors.

I'd love to just take that plate and frisbee it into a ditch
GroundHawg is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-15-2010, 03:15 AM   #10
Jeeper
 
ColdSRT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Fairbanks,AK
Posts: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundHawg View Post
interesting. I've never read the law, but I think your idea would work. I see folks driving cars around with a plate on the dash. that might work here.

we don't have many laws at all here. no fenders are legal, stubbies are ok, no inspections, etc. the few we do have the local bacon is a real a** on, so I try not to push it. it's bad enough I run doorless without mirrors.

I'd love to just take that plate and frisbee it into a ditch
You and me both. The thing about laying it on the dash is a lot of dashes are flat so you can't see the plate worth a damn from the outside which could cause a guy to get pulled over. The way I have it there is no excuse. That and it rattles in the dash and moves all around. Not to mention scratching the crap out of it.

Do you have closer pics of your bumper? I just looked again and I can't see the top hole for the winch. Optical illusion? In fact mine comes up in the front right over the fairlead hole.
ColdSRT is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-15-2010, 03:38 AM   #11
Jeeper
 
GroundHawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: northeast ohio
Posts: 2,274
I don't have one, but google Rugged Ridge XHD front winch bumper. I can't take pics till daylight, but I will first thing tomorrow and post them here

EDIT: oh, you mean that slot cut in the bumper? I don't have that, just pre-drilled holes under the bull bar for a plate. I think it's designed to fit a Warn? I don't know or looked into it. I'm not getting a winch. I just liked it was heavy and modular.
GroundHawg is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-15-2010, 03:49 AM   #12
Jeeper
 
ColdSRT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Fairbanks,AK
Posts: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundHawg View Post
I don't have one, but google Rugged Ridge XHD front winch bumper. I can't take pics till daylight, but I will first thing tomorrow and post them here

EDIT: oh, you mean that slot cut in the bumper? I don't have that, just pre-drilled holes under the bull bar for a plate. I think it's designed to fit a Warn? I don't know or looked into it. I'm not getting a winch. I just liked it was heavy and modular.
Oh ok. I think that is the non winch version of the xhd. Mine has the cutout so it is recessed into the bumper. I didn't know they had mounting holes for the warn winch plate already. Nice. Also good to see I'm not going blind.
ColdSRT is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-15-2010, 09:04 AM   #13
Jeeper
 
JIMBOX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 9,914
California says-"Front license plate required", so i put mine on the front

Now my jeeps in Nevada, but--I'll leaveitanyway !!



JIMBO
__________________
"ya gotta have class"
JIMBOX is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-15-2010, 01:18 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 63
Jimbox you got a good looking jeep there!
fandango777 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-15-2010, 01:40 PM   #15
The Bad Guy

WF Supporting Member
 
daggo66's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NJ exile living in Baltimore
Posts: 22,296
I especially like the protection he created for his hardtop in the case of a rollover.
__________________
Tom

"I've got two things in this world, my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one."
daggo66 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-15-2010, 03:11 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
JIMBOX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 9,914
Thanx Fandango

You know dag, because of the way that rack secures to the jeep tub, it is a "afterthought" roll bar !!

JIMBO
__________________
"ya gotta have class"
JIMBOX is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-15-2010, 03:16 PM   #17
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Southern Nevada
Posts: 1,259
Where I live it is only a law to put on the front plate IF you have a place to attach it. Since I don't, I don't have to put my front one on.
popstop785 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-15-2010, 03:34 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
GroundHawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: northeast ohio
Posts: 2,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdSRT

Oh ok. I think that is the non winch version of the xhd. Mine has the cutout so it is recessed into the bumper. I didn't know they had mounting holes for the warn winch plate already. Nice. Also good to see I'm not going blind.
these are the pre-drilled holes under the bull bar. I was told they're for mounting a winch plate, but who knows. I never read into it as I have no plans on getting winch, and actually plan on mounting lights here very soon.



here's a picture of my nut and bolt setup for mounting the plate.

GroundHawg is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-15-2010, 03:55 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
ColdSRT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Fairbanks,AK
Posts: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundHawg View Post
these are the pre-drilled holes under the bull bar. I was told they're for mounting a winch plate, but who knows. I never read into it as I have no plans on getting winch, and actually plan on mounting lights here very soon.



here's a picture of my nut and bolt setup for mounting the plate.

I believe those are either light mounting holes or holes for some other bracket. You need more than two holes for a winch plate. Which is fine since you don't plan on adding one.
ColdSRT is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-15-2010, 04:04 PM   #20
Jeeper
 
GroundHawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: northeast ohio
Posts: 2,274
that's great if they are for lights. that's what want to use them for.

they said something about winch holes, winch bumper, blah blah blah. I just wanted a solid, heavy bumper that came with the ability to add bells and whistles, and something heavy duty to knock shopping buggies and Civics out of my way
GroundHawg is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-15-2010, 04:10 PM   #21
Jeeper
 
McGridDLe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Altoona Iowa
Posts: 566
my bumper didn't have anywhere to mount it either so i just leave it off. i havent had any trouble with police about that or not having mirrors when my doors are off. I leave it under my drivers seat just incase they do decide to pull me over for it, then at least i can try to explain why I don't have it on there
__________________
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=556607778
Live well, Love much, Offroad often
McGridDLe is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-15-2010, 04:18 PM   #22
Jeeper
 
ColdSRT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Fairbanks,AK
Posts: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundHawg View Post
that's great if they are for lights. that's what want to use them for.

they said something about winch holes, winch bumper, blah blah blah. I just wanted a solid, heavy bumper that came with the ability to add bells and whistles, and something heavy duty to knock shopping buggies and Civics out of my way
I would probably make my own brackets if I needed but I think rugged ridge sells a light bracket for those holes. I could be wrong. There would be at least four holes for a winch plate and they would not be near the center line like that. You could drill the bumper for a winch plate later if you wanted to add a winch. So tell me, how has the bumper held up to the civics and shopping carts? Just wondering how the finish does.

I did a ton of research before I bought and I kept coming back to the xhd because it was modular. I was at the warn dealer after I made my mind up on the xhd and he was talking crap about how it would fall apart because it was modular and so on. Thing is he was trying to sell me a warn bumper. I was just not impressed. Especially for the price. It was going to be over 1k with the hoop and the winch plate. You heard me right. The damn warn winch bumper even though it already cost more than a fully dressed xhd still needed a $300 winch plate. BS. He did however throw some doubt in my mind. I wanted the option of making mine into a stubby so I researched and folks seemed to be happy with them. Even those that did many recoveries. So I bit the bullet and ordered her up. I am impressed with the quality vs price. Very nice bumper. Just wonder how the finish will hold up but it is nicely done it seems. The modular ends are held on by 3 large bolts so I am really not worried about them rattling apart. It gets two thumbs up from this guy...............so far.
ColdSRT is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-15-2010, 04:25 PM   #23
Jeeper
 
GroundHawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: northeast ohio
Posts: 2,274
it's a good bumper. strong. it's sustained maybe 3 shopping buggy bumps, a tree and an F-150 backed into it parked, destroying his stock rear. it's been pulled pretty hard too and the bumper is still true.

the finish is VERY thick. it does scratch, but bare metal isn't exposed, even from the truck. the hit from the truck actually made the finish thin where it hit, it's almost like it's padded under the paint. like I said though, it will, and does scratch, but no rust worries as metal thus far hasn't been exposed
GroundHawg is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-15-2010, 04:28 PM   #24
Jeeper
 
GroundHawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: northeast ohio
Posts: 2,274
I paid like $350 for it. the bar was $100. I got the caps on it which came free to make it a full-size bumper. I will take those caps off though when I cut my stock rear so they match.

EDIT: this is the mark the pickup made. no scratch, and if you run your finger over that it's indented. now close inspection of the border shows under the paint it's almost like a foam padding or something.

GroundHawg is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-15-2010, 04:40 PM   #25
Jeeper
 
ColdSRT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Fairbanks,AK
Posts: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundHawg View Post
it's a good bumper. strong. it's sustained maybe 3 shopping buggy bumps, a tree and an F-150 backed into it parked, destroying his stock rear. it's been pulled pretty hard too and the bumper is still true.

the finish is VERY thick. it does scratch, but bare metal isn't exposed, even from the truck. the hit from the truck actually made the finish thin where it hit, it's almost like it's padded under the paint. like I said though, it will, and does scratch, but no rust worries as metal thus far hasn't been exposed
That is good to hear. Mine came in damaged. The piece that goes over the fairlead hole was bent in. Weakest spot on the hole bumper and of course that is where they dropped it. I was worried about the coating blowing off when I bent it back but it did not budge. I used a porta power to bend it back in place and it looks good as new. Not so much as a scuff on it.

I got mine for just under $700 fully optioned with the bar and the ends. I got it from different places though. I got the base bumper from amazon. They shipped it to me free 2 day air. That must have been over $200 up here to Alaska. That is why I love amazon. They won't ship the matching skid up here for some reason. I picked up the ends and bar somewhere else. I might run stubby when I upgrade tires and wheels if the ends get in the way. Nice to have that option.

ColdSRT is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Tags
license plate , smitty built , src

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1999 or TJ rear license plate holder dnbearcat Classifieds Archive 17 05-30-2010 09:00 PM
Winch Plate And Tow Hooks nicolas-eric TJ General Discussion Forum 10 12-27-2009 08:16 AM
Mounting License Plate New Bumper turdhurdler General Jeep Discussion 18 01-26-2009 11:36 AM
Front end issues 4point TJ Tech Forum 11 06-02-2008 07:38 PM
License plate bracket donald Classifieds Archive 4 03-11-2007 06:27 PM



Download our Mobile App

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:17 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC