good clutch replacement - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > General Jeep Discussions > General Jeep Discussion

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 02-12-2013, 05:54 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
Ianbeaulieu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: San Antonio Texas
Posts: 1,449
good clutch replacement

i have to replace my clutch in my 87 YJ, which would yall recommend?

__________________
1987 YJ 4.2L I6 5-Speed, SOA, 1"shackle, Chrome Diff Cover Rear, Lime Green Under Parts
Ianbeaulieu is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-12-2013, 06:40 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
Rayko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NJ Badlands
Posts: 896
I've read quite a few posts that say the stock clutch is a very good replacement.

Rayko is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-12-2013, 06:55 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
Ianbeaulieu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: San Antonio Texas
Posts: 1,449
hmm :/ im not sure
__________________
1987 YJ 4.2L I6 5-Speed, SOA, 1"shackle, Chrome Diff Cover Rear, Lime Green Under Parts
Ianbeaulieu is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-12-2013, 07:01 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
Sdizzzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 84
I'm going to go with a luk clutch kit here soon, my throw out bearing is goofing.
__________________
Aw i broke it....Again...
Sdizzzle is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-12-2013, 07:22 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
Ianbeaulieu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: San Antonio Texas
Posts: 1,449
where can you buy those? i looked at the website and it didn't say
__________________
1987 YJ 4.2L I6 5-Speed, SOA, 1"shackle, Chrome Diff Cover Rear, Lime Green Under Parts
Ianbeaulieu is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-12-2013, 08:28 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
Sdizzzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 84
I haven't done much searching yet, but I think I saw some on autopartswarehouse.com

Someone mentioned that luk may be the oem supplier. Sorry I don't have much more info than that!
__________________
Aw i broke it....Again...
Sdizzzle is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-12-2013, 09:02 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
Ianbeaulieu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: San Antonio Texas
Posts: 1,449
its okay thank you though
__________________
1987 YJ 4.2L I6 5-Speed, SOA, 1"shackle, Chrome Diff Cover Rear, Lime Green Under Parts
Ianbeaulieu is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-12-2013, 09:19 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
nemo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Blackwater Swamp, VA
Posts: 45
Images: 1
I think I got a complete clutch kit for my 89 a few years ago from autozone.
__________________
Chris "Cap'n Nemo" Nelms
2007 kj
1997 tj
previous
1989 yj 4cyl (sold) 1989 Xj 292,000 (rust, death wobble expired) 1993 xj 176,000 (rust, death wobble expired) 2001 xj 101,000 (engine, some rust, sold needing engine)
nemo is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-12-2013, 09:27 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
Ianbeaulieu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: San Antonio Texas
Posts: 1,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemo View Post
I think I got a complete clutch kit for my 89 a few years ago from autozone.
do you remember how much? i was thinking about going to napa
__________________
1987 YJ 4.2L I6 5-Speed, SOA, 1"shackle, Chrome Diff Cover Rear, Lime Green Under Parts
Ianbeaulieu is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-13-2013, 05:49 AM   #10
Jeeper
 
JACK3D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Out in God's country
Posts: 541
I would recoment a Luk clutch kit. That is what I just put in my YJ two weeks ago. You can order them online at various websites. I'll post a link. I got mine from Partsgeek.com (posted a link below) that will take you right to what you need. Not sure what motor you've got in your 87... But here you go.. .

87 1987 Jeep Wrangler Clutch Kit - Clutch - LUK, Sachs, Valeo - PartsGeek

Everything you need will be in the box. Slave cylinder IS included. Not bad pricing, depending on your engine, you're looking at about $120 bucks, give or take, with FREE shipping!! Very good quality parts. I called a few transmission shops around town before I ordered mine and asked them what parts they use for clutch replacements. All 3 shops told me when they order the kits, they go with Luk kits..

Good luck, it's a pain in the ass. Not terribly difficult, just annoying, and time consuming. Took me almost 8 hours from start to finish on mine.
JACK3D is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-13-2013, 09:04 AM   #11
Jeeper
 
Ianbeaulieu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: San Antonio Texas
Posts: 1,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by JACK3D View Post
I would recoment a Luk clutch kit. That is what I just put in my YJ two weeks ago. You can order them online at various websites. I'll post a link. I got mine from Partsgeek.com (posted a link below) that will take you right to what you need. Not sure what motor you've got in your 87... But here you go.. .

87 1987 Jeep Wrangler Clutch Kit - Clutch - LUK, Sachs, Valeo - PartsGeek

Everything you need will be in the box. Slave cylinder IS included. Not bad pricing, depending on your engine, you're looking at about $120 bucks, give or take, with FREE shipping!! Very good quality parts. I called a few transmission shops around town before I ordered mine and asked them what parts they use for clutch replacements. All 3 shops told me when they order the kits, they go with Luk kits..

Good luck, it's a pain in the ass. Not terribly difficult, just annoying, and time consuming. Took me almost 8 hours from start to finish on mine.
Does that include a throwout bearing and pilot bearing? also ill need to replace my master cylinder also, any upgrades i could do for that one?
__________________
1987 YJ 4.2L I6 5-Speed, SOA, 1"shackle, Chrome Diff Cover Rear, Lime Green Under Parts
Ianbeaulieu is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-13-2013, 09:15 AM   #12
Jeeper
 
JACK3D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Out in God's country
Posts: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianbeaulieu View Post
Does that include a throwout bearing and pilot bearing? also ill need to replace my master cylinder also, any upgrades i could do for that one?
Yes, these Luk kits include everything you need in order to properly replace your clutch.
JACK3D is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-13-2013, 09:24 AM   #13
Jeeper
 
Ianbeaulieu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: San Antonio Texas
Posts: 1,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by JACK3D View Post
Yes, these Luk kits include everything you need in order to properly replace your clutch.
sweet! thank you, i do not think i will be replacing it, a good friend that owns a shop will probably do it for me
__________________
1987 YJ 4.2L I6 5-Speed, SOA, 1"shackle, Chrome Diff Cover Rear, Lime Green Under Parts
Ianbeaulieu is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-13-2013, 09:38 AM   #14
Jeeper
 
JACK3D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Out in God's country
Posts: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianbeaulieu View Post
sweet! thank you, i do not think i will be replacing it, a good friend that owns a shop will probably do it for me
Yeah, I did mine myself. Like I said before, it's not difficult. It's just time consuming and kind of tricky to get the transmission back in where it's supposed to be. Took me about 8 hours on a saturday. I don't have a transmission jack, so I used a forklift
JACK3D is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-13-2013, 10:10 AM   #15
Jeeper
 
Ianbeaulieu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: San Antonio Texas
Posts: 1,449
haha only if i had one if those! hopefully it doesn't take then to long
__________________
1987 YJ 4.2L I6 5-Speed, SOA, 1"shackle, Chrome Diff Cover Rear, Lime Green Under Parts
Ianbeaulieu is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-13-2013, 06:21 PM   #16
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Under my Jeep in beautiful upstate N.Y.
Posts: 2,945
I have a Lux in my TJ thats done very well
1jeeplvr is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-14-2013, 01:26 AM   #17
Jeeper
 
Ianbeaulieu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: San Antonio Texas
Posts: 1,449
i ordered that lux clutch replacement

__________________
1987 YJ 4.2L I6 5-Speed, SOA, 1"shackle, Chrome Diff Cover Rear, Lime Green Under Parts
Ianbeaulieu is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:15 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC