Grand Cherokee Overland - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > General Tech Forums > General Jeep Discussion

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 01-16-2012, 06:58 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
Kelsey73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,258
Grand Cherokee Overland

Figured I'd get some of y'all opinions. The local dealer now has an 06 GC overland with the 5.7L and all options for $20K. It's the milage that gets me. Only 10K! Anyone have one of these or have an opinion on em?

Thanks!

__________________
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara- Bright White
Kelsey73 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-16-2012, 09:04 PM   #2
MallCrawler

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 31,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelsey73
Figured I'd get some of y'all opinions. The local dealer now has an 06 GC overland with the 5.7L and all options for $20K. It's the milage that gets me. Only 10K! Anyone have one of these or have an opinion on em?

Thanks!


Maybe a yuppy only drove it a few times

__________________
2007 Rubicon/Rock Krawler TR 2.5 coils/rear TB/Rancho 9000 31/32XL shocks/Teraflex monster TB/Synergy highsteer,tie rod, ball joints/Hankook MT 315-75-16 on Level 8 ZX's/MC front SB links/Rancho geo brackets & shocks/Fox ATS stabilizer/Adams front DS=Frankinlift from hell.

Lifting your JK? Read this!!



Click HERE to become a WranglerForum Supporting Member!
kjeeper10 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-16-2012, 09:19 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
Kelsey73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjeeper10



Maybe a yuppy only drove it a few times
They say owned by an older gent. Just 10k is weird!!
__________________
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara- Bright White
Kelsey73 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-16-2012, 09:33 PM   #4
MallCrawler

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 31,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelsey73

They say owned by an older gent. Just 10k is weird!!
Maybe he passed and it sat in his garage ?
__________________
2007 Rubicon/Rock Krawler TR 2.5 coils/rear TB/Rancho 9000 31/32XL shocks/Teraflex monster TB/Synergy highsteer,tie rod, ball joints/Hankook MT 315-75-16 on Level 8 ZX's/MC front SB links/Rancho geo brackets & shocks/Fox ATS stabilizer/Adams front DS=Frankinlift from hell.

Lifting your JK? Read this!!



Click HERE to become a WranglerForum Supporting Member!
kjeeper10 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-16-2012, 09:39 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
Kelsey73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjeeper10

Maybe he passed and it sat in his garage ?
I'm hoping. It looks really clean, but had a few red flags.

Wax "x" on the air intake, cracked driver side tail light ( think it was the tech doing an inspection) and for some reason they're replacing the passenger side rear door latch?

Gonna go take a look in the light tomorrow, and gonna throw it on the lift.

Just trying to figure out what maintenance should get included in the deal. I'm thinking all fluids and a new battery. The lift gate actuators went up really slow/difficult and closed super easy.
__________________
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara- Bright White
Kelsey73 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-16-2012, 09:55 PM   #6
MallCrawler

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 31,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelsey73

I'm hoping. It looks really clean, but had a few red flags.

Wax "x" on the air intake, cracked driver side tail light ( think it was the tech doing an inspection) and for some reason they're replacing the passenger side rear door latch?

Gonna go take a look in the light tomorrow, and gonna throw it on the lift.

Just trying to figure out what maintenance should get included in the deal. I'm thinking all fluids and a new battery. The lift gate actuators went up really slow/difficult and closed super easy.
Good luck
__________________
2007 Rubicon/Rock Krawler TR 2.5 coils/rear TB/Rancho 9000 31/32XL shocks/Teraflex monster TB/Synergy highsteer,tie rod, ball joints/Hankook MT 315-75-16 on Level 8 ZX's/MC front SB links/Rancho geo brackets & shocks/Fox ATS stabilizer/Adams front DS=Frankinlift from hell.

Lifting your JK? Read this!!



Click HERE to become a WranglerForum Supporting Member!
kjeeper10 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-16-2012, 10:18 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
Pontiackid87's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: downingtown pa
Posts: 661
The X on the intake usually means the engine is good in an auction...
__________________
2000 wrangler
06 Pontiac solstice
84 IMSA fiero
2002 300M special
Pontiackid87 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-16-2012, 10:21 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
Tarby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Smethport, PA
Posts: 1,104
I've got an '05 Grand Cherokee Limited with 5.7 Hemi and love it. Just to let you know, I only paid $14,500 for it in 2008, when it was just off lease, and it was immaculate. Had 39,000 miles and I got factory warranties rolled over into my name. Doesn't have navigation, but everything else is loaded in it. Now has 92,000 miles (wife's previous job was 45 miles round trip everyday...added up fast) and runs like a champ.

Lift gate shocks go bad fast-replaced mine with oem set last year. Good to go now, but I would get them to replace them. The hood gas strut was bad on mine at dealer...they replaced for me no charge.

Sounds nice with that kinda mileage, just go over it with a fine tooth comb. Look for paint differences and for body repair...old people like to hit stuff alot. I work for a body shop part time, and I can spot repair work easy. My wife hates it cause I tear a car apart when I shop...lol...Good luck!
Tarby is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-16-2012, 10:34 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
Kelsey73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarby
I've got an '05 Grand Cherokee Limited with 5.7 Hemi and love it. Just to let you know, I only paid $14,500 for it in 2008, when it was just off lease, and it was immaculate. Had 39,000 miles and I got factory warranties rolled over into my name. Doesn't have navigation, but everything else is loaded in it. Now has 92,000 miles (wife's previous job was 45 miles round trip everyday...added up fast) and runs like a champ.

Lift gate shocks go bad fast-replaced mine with oem set last year. Good to go now, but I would get them to replace them. The hood gas strut was bad on mine at dealer...they replaced for me no charge.

Sounds nice with that kinda mileage, just go over it with a fine tooth comb. Look for paint differences and for body repair...old people like to hit stuff alot. I work for a body shop part time, and I can spot repair work easy. My wife hates it cause I tear a car apart when I shop...lol...Good luck!
How on earth did you get that price?!?
__________________
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara- Bright White
Kelsey73 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-16-2012, 10:43 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
Pontiackid87's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: downingtown pa
Posts: 661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelsey73 View Post
How on earth did you get that price?!?
Gota look hard... I remember buying my solstice bought it at the wrong time of year (which worked out in my favor) spend $11k on a $17K car.. has everything except for Onstar and XM.. only had about 20K miles on it... But i dont advise buying a convertible in the dead of winter... it sucks
__________________
2000 wrangler
06 Pontiac solstice
84 IMSA fiero
2002 300M special
Pontiackid87 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-16-2012, 10:45 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
Kelsey73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,258
Thanks for your input guys. I'll go over it once more, but like I said things aren't adding up with the markings, milage, broken tail light, and broken door.

After hearing about the limited I may continue my hunt for a 3rd vehicle.
__________________
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara- Bright White
Kelsey73 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-17-2012, 07:35 AM   #12
Jeeper
 
bbtj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Kansas City, Mo
Posts: 1,241
Don't forget the Carfax.
bbtj is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-17-2012, 04:26 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: north jersey
Posts: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbtj View Post
Don't forget the Carfax.
x2 have it checked by a mechanic and body guy.
blackforestgreen is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-17-2012, 06:48 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
Kelsey73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,258
Just got back from a quick test drive and saw the carfax. One owner, and it was kept here at their "summer home". Jeep drove fantastically super smooth and good power from the 5.7L I looked it over top and bottom and couldn't see it was wrenched on anywhere.

After driving it I was surprised at how noisy the interior was. I wanted to compare to an '11 or '12, but none were on the lot. Another thing I noticed was all the cheap plastic everywhere!!! Seats were really uncomfortable which doesn't help the car that would be used to drive around the US.
__________________
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara- Bright White
Kelsey73 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-17-2012, 09:17 PM   #15
MallCrawler

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 31,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelsey73
Just got back from a quick test drive and saw the carfax. One owner, and it was kept here at their "summer home". Jeep drove fantastically super smooth and good power from the 5.7L I looked it over top and bottom and couldn't see it was wrenched on anywhere.

After driving it I was surprised at how noisy the interior was. I wanted to compare to an '11 or '12, but none were on the lot. Another thing I noticed was all the cheap plastic everywhere!!! Seats were really uncomfortable which doesn't help the car that would be used to drive around the US.
Noisy? Wow surprised. Especially since you been driving a jeep
__________________
2007 Rubicon/Rock Krawler TR 2.5 coils/rear TB/Rancho 9000 31/32XL shocks/Teraflex monster TB/Synergy highsteer,tie rod, ball joints/Hankook MT 315-75-16 on Level 8 ZX's/MC front SB links/Rancho geo brackets & shocks/Fox ATS stabilizer/Adams front DS=Frankinlift from hell.

Lifting your JK? Read this!!



Click HERE to become a WranglerForum Supporting Member!
kjeeper10 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-17-2012, 09:19 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
Kelsey73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjeeper10

Noisy? Wow surprised. Especially since you been driving a jeep
Yea I was shocked it was a little louder than my new JKU! The new patriot we test drove was quieter than them all. Made me really curious about a new GC.

The real killer was the seats! Super uncomfortable. Had almost no give!
__________________
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara- Bright White
Kelsey73 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-17-2012, 09:28 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
TX02TJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Dallas
Posts: 272
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelsey73 View Post
Yea I was shocked it was a little louder than my new JKU! The new patriot we test drove was quieter than them all. Made me really curious about a new GC.

The real killer was the seats! Super uncomfortable. Had almost no give!
Just bought my wife a 12 overland and its bad a$$!!! Super quiet and the 5.7 is plenty of power.
__________________
OIIIIIIO
TX02TJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-18-2012, 07:12 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
Tarby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Smethport, PA
Posts: 1,104
Of all the vehicles I've driven, my 1999 Tahoe 2 door LT package with HUGE leather seats was the most comfortable ride I have ever had in a SUV. Miss that thing alot, that is what I traded for my GC Limited.

I don't feel uncomfortable in my 2005, and not too loud. Most the noise in mine is the exhaust rumbling a little. I have put new door seals in mine just because I'm anal about them after a couple of years (perks for working at an auto body shop part time). I really like it, but it is only second to my Tahoe...and my wife agrees. She wanted this Cherokee more than I did, but I needed a V8 to pull my 1930 Marquette to car shows and my snowmobiles...toy hauler more than anything.

The heated leather seats are fairly decent in my opinion, but I like firm seats.
Tarby is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-18-2012, 07:26 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
Kelsey73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarby
Of all the vehicles I've driven, my 1999 Tahoe 2 door LT package with HUGE leather seats was the most comfortable ride I have ever had in a SUV. Miss that thing alot, that is what I traded for my GC Limited.

I don't feel uncomfortable in my 2005, and not too loud. Most the noise in mine is the exhaust rumbling a little. I have put new door seals in mine just because I'm anal about them after a couple of years (perks for working at an auto body shop part time). I really like it, but it is only second to my Tahoe...and my wife agrees. She wanted this Cherokee more than I did, but I needed a V8 to pull my 1930 Marquette to car shows and my snowmobiles...toy hauler more than anything.

The heated leather seats are fairly decent in my opinion, but I like firm seats.
Normally I wouldn't have given it a second thought, but after the patriot and a few road trips I learned seats are important. Lol.

__________________
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara- Bright White
Kelsey73 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Issues 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Summit Pmedg Off-Topic 4 05-20-2012 10:07 PM
Willys Overland Transformers JeeperJake JK General Discussion Forum 2 05-07-2011 11:56 AM
2011 Overland Rally Series - JPFreek Discount! txoutdoorx4 General Jeep Discussion 0 05-03-2011 08:40 AM
Planning an overland adventure in your Jeep? txoutdoorx4 General Jeep Discussion 0 07-30-2010 08:46 AM



» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:37 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC