Jeep tools Craftsman "Made in China_ - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > General Tech Forums > General Jeep Discussion

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 01-14-2012, 06:13 PM   #1
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
sahara13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 238
Jeep tools Craftsman "Made in China_

So I needed to replace vice grips since my teeth were really worn down. The pair I bought in 2004 is stamped "Made in USA". My new pair "Made in China". I studied the construction and quality of the steel and the new ones look pretty good. Why did Craftsman have to go and make a classic American made reliable tool in China? I have craftsman tools from my Grandpa made in the 50s and 60s that I still use!

__________________
I LOVE MY JEEP!
sahara13 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-14-2012, 06:24 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
gbtb87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: OHIO
Posts: 122
Just makes yousick , doesn't it?
soon we will all

__________________
Car engines make CO2 and trees absorb CO2. By running your engine you're feeding a tree and helping the environment."charrison"
gbtb87 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-14-2012, 06:48 PM   #3
Newb
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Dayton,Ohio
Posts: 9
Could not agree more. The older Craftsman stuff I inherited from my Grandfather is far superior to the junk that is on the shelves now. I have a ratchet from him that is still smooth as silk, one of the old ones without the snap ring holding the head together. I have a newer 3/8 ratchet that I have had to have the "guts" replaced in twice. Used to be Craftsman or nothing in this house, now I tend to gravitate to Kobalt. I know it started before the merger, but as soon as I heard that Sears and K-mart were merging, I told my wife that it was all over but the crying for Sears and Craftsman.
godsey97 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-14-2012, 07:36 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
Pontiackid87's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: downingtown pa
Posts: 661
Better than made in Korea. China looks at stuff made in Korea and calls it a POS.
__________________
2000 wrangler
06 Pontiac solstice
84 IMSA fiero
2002 300M special
Pontiackid87 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-15-2012, 12:40 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,098
I was at Sears yesterday and found many tools with the Craftsman label made in China. Before they were using the Evolv green label for the tools made in China. The Harbor Freight "Pittsburgh" tool are made in Taiwan. What a joke how they give there products American names and they're made in in Asia. There's now not much difference between HF and Sears. Sears should have kept the Craftsman brand for made-in-USA tools. This indeed is a big disappointment!
Arch Stanton is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-15-2012, 12:47 PM   #6
Dont forget a Jack strap

WF Supporting Member
 
jkaufman_95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: On the Road,
Posts: 30,846
They make something like 10-20% overseas, mostly under the evolv name. It's a crying shame. But 10-20% (can't remember exactly) is better than most companies, i just bought a set of hand tools along with a torque wrench and they all have made in USA stamped on them. I dont buy the stuff there unless it says made in USA
__________________
Do I look like a cat to you boy? Am I jumpin' around all nimbly bimbly from tree to tree? Am I drinking milk from a saucer? DO YOU SEE ME EATING MICE?
jkaufman_95 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-15-2012, 12:58 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,098
Hopefully, Sears will still carry Made-in-USA Craftsman tools!


Quote:
Originally Posted by jkaufman_95 View Post
They make something like 10-20% overseas, mostly under the evolv name. It's a crying shame. But 10-20% (can't remember exactly) is better than most companies, i just bought a set of hand tools along with a torque wrench and they all have made in USA stamped on them. I dont buy the stuff there unless it says made in USA
Arch Stanton is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-15-2012, 01:10 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
locked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 600
Images: 5
I an probably the biggest hater of Chinese crap that I know. I can understand the money end of it from craftsman point of view, but morally it's wrong. Another American name gone Chinese. I Will NOT buy Chinese craftsman products. It's just not right, if people stopped buying Chinese they would have to bring it back home. Creating jobs that my family and friends need. I have loved craftsman for along time- but I'll spend 3x the amount for a particular tool from matco or snap on before I'll buy Chinese tool.

Thank you- have a wonderful day!
__________________
-ALL AMERICAN-
Powder-Coating
WARD, AR
locked is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-15-2012, 01:25 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
Celtic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Shenandoah Valley
Posts: 707
Don't know how it is where you folks are, but Sears is boarding up quite a few of their stores in my area. I hardly see any vehicles in the parking lots of the ones that are still open.
__________________
Best Always 🍀,
Celtic

___________

"Peej" - 2011 Wrangler Sport S Two Door, Quad Black, Six Speed
Celtic is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-15-2012, 01:39 PM   #10
Oilfield Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
The Toolman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Odessa, TX
Posts: 3,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic
Don't know how it is where you folks are, but Sears is boarding up quite a few of their stores in my area. I hardly see any vehicles in the parking lots of the ones that are still open.
It's the same here. I will be honest, we are a bunch of Southern country boys around here who love their country. Anywhere that goes with overseas mfg. loses the business. Sears is no different, heck, read my reply in the "New Jeeps vs. Old Jeeps" thread. That'll give you a good idea of how I feel about the subject. It also makes me fear for the future of Jeeps, look how much they've screwed them up lately.
__________________
94 Jeep YJ Wrangler SE / 4.0L I-6 Engine ---- SOLD in February of 2014 ---- Now I am running a Frankenstiened tube chassis Rock Buggy

Viper X LED Lighting Solutions .... Own the Night!

The American Outdoor Enthusiast
The Toolman is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-15-2012, 01:41 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
rkidd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Maryland
Posts: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic View Post
Don't know how it is where you folks are, but Sears is boarding up quite a few of their stores in my area. I hardly see any vehicles in the parking lots of the ones that are still open.
I agree they are in trouble like alot of american companies. I used to buy alot of craftsman tools because snap-on and matco are so expensive but if they are not made in the USA, looks like Im going back to snap-on.
Hey Celtic I see you live in shenandoah valley. I do alot of backpacking in your area. I love it there. Have a good one.
rkidd is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-15-2012, 02:02 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
Celtic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Shenandoah Valley
Posts: 707
Toolman and rkidd,

Thanks for the input. Makes a lot of sense to me. I am a displaced Yankee now living south of the Mason-Dixon Line (and lovin' every second of it). Sears here closed just a little while after I got the torx bits for my dual tops. I have always liked Snap-On too, even though as you say, on the expensive side.

Have a good one!
__________________
Best Always 🍀,
Celtic

___________

"Peej" - 2011 Wrangler Sport S Two Door, Quad Black, Six Speed
Celtic is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-15-2012, 06:27 PM   #13
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
chucky cheese's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: We eat stuff outa ditches!
Posts: 3,694
If Craftsman were to be manufactured in the USA you would look at the price and say HE!! no. Like I have said before people will go for price before quality. The only way Sears and Craftsman can stay competitive is to slash costs. And it still comes down to the American public buying. They will always go with price over quality. So for the few of you who say buy american I applaud you. But I do not think it is enough to pull Sears and Craftsman out of the bilge. This is not your grandfathers tools anymore.
__________________
It ain't easy being cheesy:

Sometimes I make decisions like famous people.
George Armstrong Custer "lets go over that hill, I think those are friendly indians!"

Titanic's Captain Smith "What icebergs? Full speed ahead!"
chucky cheese is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-15-2012, 06:47 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
locked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 600
Images: 5
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucky cheese View Post
If Craftsman were to be manufactured in the USA you would look at the price and say HE!! no. Like I have said before people will go for price before quality. The only way Sears and Craftsman can stay competitive is to slash costs. And it still comes down to the American public buying. They will always go with price over quality. So for the few of you who say buy american I applaud you. But I do not think it is enough to pull Sears and Craftsman out of the bilge. This is not your grandfathers tools anymore.
I agree, its like voting: "one vote doesnt matter" but if everyone feels that way nothing gets changed...I am almost 100% positive a few of us country boys buying only American wont stop the China take-over, but I damn sure wont contribute to the collapse of our American structure. I understand its hard to walk into a store i.e Sears, and compare two screwdrivers: Craftsman: USA, 4.99 Evolv: China 1.99...most people buy the the less expensive screwdriver, personally When I am standing in the isle looking at that shelf containing the screwdrivers, I am thinking--4.99 to support American families, or 1.99 and support a sweatshop and failing economy. I totally see both fields of view. Sad reality...but true.
locked is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-15-2012, 07:08 PM   #15
Dont forget a Jack strap

WF Supporting Member
 
jkaufman_95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: On the Road,
Posts: 30,846
^ your so right. I've been in a factory that went from 300 employee's to TEN. because of china. Very sad. I'll buy the $5 screw driver because it is made with pride!
__________________
Do I look like a cat to you boy? Am I jumpin' around all nimbly bimbly from tree to tree? Am I drinking milk from a saucer? DO YOU SEE ME EATING MICE?
jkaufman_95 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-15-2012, 07:37 PM   #16
Oilfield Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
The Toolman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Odessa, TX
Posts: 3,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbtb87 View Post
Just makes yousick , doesn't it?
Yes it does, very disgusted actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbtb87 View Post
soon we will all
Nope, not this American country boy. I'll die with an American made gun in my hands first
__________________
94 Jeep YJ Wrangler SE / 4.0L I-6 Engine ---- SOLD in February of 2014 ---- Now I am running a Frankenstiened tube chassis Rock Buggy

Viper X LED Lighting Solutions .... Own the Night!

The American Outdoor Enthusiast
The Toolman is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-15-2012, 10:03 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
mjf232's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: S. Jersey near Philly
Posts: 487
I've noticed the decline in craftsman tools for some time now too. I was upset about it at first, like others said I inherited some as well that are still great tools after 50 + yrs. But the newer tools arent quality and I'd rather pay for quality. You get what you pay for.
__________________
2012 JKU Sahara
Deep Cherry Red
mjf232 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-10-2012, 12:10 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
Green Bay TJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bel Air, MD
Posts: 355
I had no idea. My 9 year old son got me a couple Craftsman wrenches to fill a couple gaps for Christmas. Now i'll have to go check for Made in USA on my wrenches. Just a month or so ago we were talking about something, and he asks me, "Is everything made in China?" 9 years old.
Green Bay TJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-10-2012, 04:15 PM   #19
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
willee51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: PEOPLES REPUBLIC of Forest, VA
Posts: 1,132
Talking Amen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by locked View Post
I an probably the biggest hater of Chinese crap that I know. I can understand the money end of it from craftsman point of view, but morally it's wrong. Another American name gone Chinese. I Will NOT buy Chinese craftsman products. It's just not right, if people stopped buying Chinese they would have to bring it back home. Creating jobs that my family and friends need. I have loved craftsman for along time- but I'll spend 3x the amount for a particular tool from matco or snap on before I'll buy Chinese tool.

Thank you- have a wonderful day!
All members here at "WF" should pledge to go "ALL American" from this point forward!

My rear bumper, I paid a bit more to get it from LoD, cause its MADE in America"
__________________
2012 (on the road again)
willee51 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-11-2012, 10:39 AM   #20
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 255
There was a newsclip a few months back that Vise-Grip ITSELF was moving production to China. I've been looking for US-made pliers at yard sales ever since.
PeteH is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-11-2012, 10:54 AM   #21
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
SilverSport's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 19,298
Send a message via Yahoo to SilverSport
I always try to buy American even if it means paying more! Makes me wish we had a flag smilie.
__________________
"Own a Jeep and own a piece of history."

"The Hunter is not concerned with the opinion of the Wolf."
SilverSport is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-12-2012, 03:46 PM   #22
Jeeper
 
KA3PIT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Sarasota,Fl
Posts: 41
KA3PIT is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-12-2012, 04:25 PM   #23
Jeeper
 
Celtic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Shenandoah Valley
Posts: 707
Here you are
Attached Images
 
__________________
Best Always 🍀,
Celtic

___________

"Peej" - 2011 Wrangler Sport S Two Door, Quad Black, Six Speed
Celtic is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-12-2012, 04:57 PM   #24
Jeeper
 
Mr Mac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 2,345
Images: 11
If you want your tools and such made in America then you need to send a letter or call your elected officials starting with local, then state and then federal. Most companies seek to manufacture goods outside the US for many reasons and among them is to stay competitive in the market place and to reduce overhead (cost of doing business).

One thing that drives this is the amount of taxation a company is subjected to on many different fronts. Local, state and federal taxes are not dropping and many companies have left town for just those reasons. In some cases they move across state lines and get relief, in other cases they have to cross borders. St Louis is a veritable ghost town compared to the way it was several years ago. The state just hammered all those business with excessive taxes and drove them right out of the state.

Another big issue is the US consumer. When we buy we tend to buy on price forgetting that you get what you pay for. In order for companies to keep up with Wal-Mart they have to take drastic measures and that means going someplace where there are no unions or health care costs like we have here.

Want some good news? The cost of manufacturing goods in China is starting to skyrocket and companies are starting to bring it all back here!

Finally, most of the hand tools (ratchets, sockets, wrenches, etc.) made for Sears and the Craftsman line are still US made. The Craftsman specialty tools, the evolv and Universal lines are Chinese as are most of the power tools. One thing to remember, Craftsman doesn't actually make the tools, other companies do. Companies like Danaher still make all their tools here. Some power tools are made by Ryobi, Bosch, etc.

Did you know that at one point in the 1980s Craftsman hand tools were made in Japan?
__________________
But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy. James 3:17 (KJV)


Mr Mac is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-12-2012, 06:07 PM   #25
Oilfield Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
The Toolman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Odessa, TX
Posts: 3,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Mac View Post
If you want your tools and such made in America then you need to send a letter or call your elected officials starting with local, then state and then federal. Most companies seek to manufacture goods outside the US for many reasons and among them is to stay competitive in the market place and to reduce overhead (cost of doing business).

One thing that drives this is the amount of taxation a company is subjected to on many different fronts. Local, state and federal taxes are not dropping and many companies have left town for just those reasons. In some cases they move across state lines and get relief, in other cases they have to cross borders. St Louis is a veritable ghost town compared to the way it was several years ago. The state just hammered all those business with excessive taxes and drove them right out of the state.

Another big issue is the US consumer. When we buy we tend to buy on price forgetting that you get what you pay for. In order for companies to keep up with Wal-Mart they have to take drastic measures and that means going someplace where there are no unions or health care costs like we have here.

Want some good news? The cost of manufacturing goods in China is starting to skyrocket and companies are starting to bring it all back here!

Finally, most of the hand tools (ratchets, sockets, wrenches, etc.) made for Sears and the Craftsman line are still US made. The Craftsman specialty tools, the evolv and Universal lines are Chinese as are most of the power tools. One thing to remember, Craftsman doesn't actually make the tools, other companies do. Companies like Danaher still make all their tools here. Some power tools are made by Ryobi, Bosch, etc.

Did you know that at one point in the 1980s Craftsman hand tools were made in Japan?
Very nice post Mr. Mac

Personally, I am well aware that it is not completely the fault of the retailers/manufacturers, but also the fault of many Americans who, like you said, buy on price & forget that you get what you pay for.

Personally, I still save up & spend the top dollar for my tools because of their quality.
__________________
94 Jeep YJ Wrangler SE / 4.0L I-6 Engine ---- SOLD in February of 2014 ---- Now I am running a Frankenstiened tube chassis Rock Buggy

Viper X LED Lighting Solutions .... Own the Night!

The American Outdoor Enthusiast
The Toolman is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-12-2012, 06:23 PM   #26
Jeeper
 
LilYeller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: South Florida U.S.A
Posts: 2,590
This kind of stuff makes me sick to my stomach to think about. Its a crying shame that the government would tax local and not so much on imports, its like we are trying to drive local companies away.

My main question is:
If they really "dont make it like they used to" then how is it that they are made out of cheaper materials but cost so much more?
__________________

Random Guy: "Is there anywhere that thing cant go?"
Me: "Yea, past a gas station..."

Build thread: My Lil' Yeller Jeep, Paracord Grab handles ~ how to make your own
Keep on Jeepin on!
LilYeller is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-12-2012, 08:15 PM   #27
Oilfield Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
The Toolman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Odessa, TX
Posts: 3,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilYeller
This kind of stuff makes me sick to my stomach to think about. Its a crying shame that the government would tax local and not so much on imports, its like we are trying to drive local companies away.

My main question is:
If they really "dont make it like they used to" then how is it that they are made out of cheaper materials but cost so much more?
This I agree with completely. There should be tax breaks to stay local, not tax increases. Then yes, if things cost more, they should be of a good quality
__________________
94 Jeep YJ Wrangler SE / 4.0L I-6 Engine ---- SOLD in February of 2014 ---- Now I am running a Frankenstiened tube chassis Rock Buggy

Viper X LED Lighting Solutions .... Own the Night!

The American Outdoor Enthusiast
The Toolman is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-12-2012, 10:01 PM   #28
Jeeper
 
Hammerdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 210
Craftsman is made in China? I have to see it for myself to believe it. On a related note, how often does a Chinese tool actually fail in home use environment? When I gravitate to the Made in USA tools it is often the workmanship and looks. Craftsman hand tools look so good that I want to hang them up on the wall in the living room.
Hammerdown is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-12-2012, 11:23 PM   #29
Oilfield Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
The Toolman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Odessa, TX
Posts: 3,293
Though it is at my home, I really put my tools to the test. If for some reason a China, Taiwan, etc. tool ends up being used in my garage, it does not last long. Especially the open end wrenches & sockets. I will usually bust them, or the open end wrenches will stretch & gall the bolt/nut.
__________________
94 Jeep YJ Wrangler SE / 4.0L I-6 Engine ---- SOLD in February of 2014 ---- Now I am running a Frankenstiened tube chassis Rock Buggy

Viper X LED Lighting Solutions .... Own the Night!

The American Outdoor Enthusiast
The Toolman is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-15-2012, 10:53 AM   #30
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Northern Maine (way past the Moose !!!)
Posts: 76
Chinese Craftsman ?

I'm up here in Maine and the Sears stores up here are rapidly turning into a mess. But we also have another huge ace in the hole, that being the numerous 2nd hand sales. A lot of these sales are the result of estate closing's and barn clearing's. These tools are, even under the crap they're found in, more than adequate. All they need is a good cleaning, like in a sandblaster or big rotary polisher and they come out like new. Given that the Sears is 'tanking' this is where I am forced to go. The other specialty stores up here are outrageous and I have yet to see a MATCO or other type distributor make their presence known. All I can say is Thank God for the C/L's and the Uncle Henry's weekly ad's. Most of what is in there is, provided you take the time and really look, made back before the Chinese got their hook's into the US tool market.

Old Grunt is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
REPLACEMENT SOFT TOP SALE AT BASELINE 4x4 OUTFITTERS - 88-95 YJ's, 97-06 TJ's!!!! Baseline 4x4 Outfitters Vendor Spotlight! Great Deals for Members. 154 12-16-2013 12:11 PM
Jeep Jokes jeeptales Off-Topic 39 07-24-2013 01:14 AM
1990 Jeep AX-15 6cl M Trans story from Hell Peloquin YJ Tech Forum 11 06-14-2012 06:04 PM
2012 torque specs kbwwolf JK General Discussion Forum 45 10-21-2011 10:42 PM



» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:03 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC