Jumpy/high oil pressure - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > General Jeep Discussions > General Jeep Discussion

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 04-02-2012, 07:40 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
AV8R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: North Georgia USA
Posts: 444
Jumpy/high oil pressure

On my 1995 2.5L YJ I've noticed the past few days that the oil pressure jumps from just over 40 to 80 when I'm cruising and then press the clutch or take it out of gear (sudden RPM decrease).

Sort of like in this video I made yesterday while driving to work:

It has also been running higher than usual at 60 or just over. When I come to a stop it sits just under 40 at idle. Here's where it's running at about 2500 RPM while cruising down the road:

Is this normal? I don't remember it running this high before, but I've only had it 3 weeks so I can't say really how it has been running all along.

__________________
1995 YJ 2.5L 5-speed Rio Grande (with factory puke patterned seats) - RE2.5" lift with 31x10.5 Duratracs - Tom Woods HD SYE and custom shaft - D30 Aussie locker with Posi-Lok cable - Solid Diff covers - Tom Woods CV front driveshaft
AV8R is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-04-2012, 12:56 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
AV8R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: North Georgia USA
Posts: 444
Bump?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV8R View Post
On my 1995 2.5L YJ I've noticed the past few days that the oil pressure jumps from just over 40 to 80 when I'm cruising and then press the clutch or take it out of gear (sudden RPM decrease).

Sort of like in this video I made yesterday while driving to work:

It has also been running higher than usual at 60 or just over. When I come to a stop it sits just under 40 at idle. Here's where it's running at about 2500 RPM while cruising down the road:

Is this normal? I don't remember it running this high before, but I've only had it 3 weeks so I can't say really how it has been running all along.

__________________
1995 YJ 2.5L 5-speed Rio Grande (with factory puke patterned seats) - RE2.5" lift with 31x10.5 Duratracs - Tom Woods HD SYE and custom shaft - D30 Aussie locker with Posi-Lok cable - Solid Diff covers - Tom Woods CV front driveshaft
AV8R is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-05-2012, 04:20 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
Baby Huey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Western Washington County Oregon
Posts: 1,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV8R View Post
Bump?
You could do two things....
1) Remove your oil Pressure sending unit and install a real oil pressure gauge ,(Any Auto Parts Store or WallMart...)

2) Buy a new oil pressure sending unit and see if that makes a difference..

Wrangler YJ Oil Pressure Senders

Do you know what type and weight Motor oil the PO installed before you bought the Jeep ?

Good Luck !! "BH"
__________________
07-JKU-X /Poison spider Evap.Skid/Master craft grab handles/Or-Fab spare tire-can carrier/ Gibson SS Duals/ Q-tec Floor Liners/Hidden Hitch Receiver/ AntennaX 7inch/ 48" Hi-Lift./ 8"X16"X4"bs Steel smoothie wheels/ 265X75R-16 Kelly Safari TSR tarz.

Viet Nam Veteran 69-70, Troop "D" (AIR) 3/4 Cav. ,25th Inf. Div. CUCHI RVN. UH-1H Crew Chief of the "Pinball Wizard" 68-16224. Call Sign "CENTAUR".
Baby Huey is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-05-2012, 11:17 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: north jersey
Posts: 515
i am am sure you checked to see if it was over filled. is the oil pressure increasing as you accelerate and dropping pressure when there is less of a "load" on the engine?
blackforestgreen is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-06-2012, 11:08 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
AV8R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: North Georgia USA
Posts: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Huey View Post
You could do two things....
1) Remove your oil Pressure sending unit and install a real oil pressure gauge ,(Any Auto Parts Store or WallMart...)

2) Buy a new oil pressure sending unit and see if that makes a difference..

Wrangler YJ Oil Pressure Senders

Do you know what type and weight Motor oil the PO installed before you bought the Jeep ?

Good Luck !! "BH"
I don't know what the PO used before, but I changed all fluids when I bought it... I used 10w30. It is not over filled. Also, this just started happening recently, a good 2 weeks after I changed the oil.

I've read that the oil pump has springs and such to deal with different RPMs... Could the oil pump be going out?
__________________
1995 YJ 2.5L 5-speed Rio Grande (with factory puke patterned seats) - RE2.5" lift with 31x10.5 Duratracs - Tom Woods HD SYE and custom shaft - D30 Aussie locker with Posi-Lok cable - Solid Diff covers - Tom Woods CV front driveshaft
AV8R is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-06-2012, 11:10 AM   #6
Jeeper
 
AV8R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: North Georgia USA
Posts: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackforestgreen View Post
i am am sure you checked to see if it was over filled. is the oil pressure increasing as you accelerate and dropping pressure when there is less of a "load" on the engine?
It increases with RPMs, but when I let off the gas it spikes to 80 or above for a second or two before settling at just under 40 during idle.
__________________
1995 YJ 2.5L 5-speed Rio Grande (with factory puke patterned seats) - RE2.5" lift with 31x10.5 Duratracs - Tom Woods HD SYE and custom shaft - D30 Aussie locker with Posi-Lok cable - Solid Diff covers - Tom Woods CV front driveshaft
AV8R is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-06-2012, 05:05 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
Baby Huey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Western Washington County Oregon
Posts: 1,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV8R View Post
I don't know what the PO used before, but I changed all fluids when I bought it... I used 10w30. It is not over filled. Also, this just started happening recently, a good 2 weeks after I changed the oil.

I've read that the oil pump has springs and such to deal with different RPMs... Could the oil pump be going out?
I'll say No to the oil pump going out.....That "Usually" is not the case. Gear driven, they do have pressure relief springs inside. This prevents over pressure when it's cold so you don't blow off the oil filter.
I think If I were you, I would just go to a auto parts store and ask for a new oil pressure sender, screw it on and see if that fixes it. "BH"
__________________
07-JKU-X /Poison spider Evap.Skid/Master craft grab handles/Or-Fab spare tire-can carrier/ Gibson SS Duals/ Q-tec Floor Liners/Hidden Hitch Receiver/ AntennaX 7inch/ 48" Hi-Lift./ 8"X16"X4"bs Steel smoothie wheels/ 265X75R-16 Kelly Safari TSR tarz.

Viet Nam Veteran 69-70, Troop "D" (AIR) 3/4 Cav. ,25th Inf. Div. CUCHI RVN. UH-1H Crew Chief of the "Pinball Wizard" 68-16224. Call Sign "CENTAUR".
Baby Huey is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-06-2012, 07:39 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
AV8R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: North Georgia USA
Posts: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Huey View Post
I'll say No to the oil pump going out.....That "Usually" is not the case. Gear driven, they do have pressure relief springs inside. This prevents over pressure when it's cold so you don't blow off the oil filter.
I think If I were you, I would just go to a auto parts store and ask for a new oil pressure sender, screw it on and see if that fixes it. "BH"
BH, that is exactly what I did (cheapest and quickest thing to try; got the Echlin sensor at NAPA) and it is rock solid. It sits at about 25-30 at idle and 45-50 while cruising at 2500 RPMs. No fluctuations!

Thank you for the help!
__________________
1995 YJ 2.5L 5-speed Rio Grande (with factory puke patterned seats) - RE2.5" lift with 31x10.5 Duratracs - Tom Woods HD SYE and custom shaft - D30 Aussie locker with Posi-Lok cable - Solid Diff covers - Tom Woods CV front driveshaft
AV8R is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-07-2012, 09:37 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
Baby Huey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Western Washington County Oregon
Posts: 1,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV8R View Post
BH, that is exactly what I did (cheapest and quickest thing to try; got the Echlin sensor at NAPA) and it is rock solid. It sits at about 25-30 at idle and 45-50 while cruising at 2500 RPMs. No fluctuations!

Thank you for the help!
SEEEEEE, I knew you could do it !! Happy Jeepin Pal, and have a safe Easter!

"BH"

__________________
07-JKU-X /Poison spider Evap.Skid/Master craft grab handles/Or-Fab spare tire-can carrier/ Gibson SS Duals/ Q-tec Floor Liners/Hidden Hitch Receiver/ AntennaX 7inch/ 48" Hi-Lift./ 8"X16"X4"bs Steel smoothie wheels/ 265X75R-16 Kelly Safari TSR tarz.

Viet Nam Veteran 69-70, Troop "D" (AIR) 3/4 Cav. ,25th Inf. Div. CUCHI RVN. UH-1H Crew Chief of the "Pinball Wizard" 68-16224. Call Sign "CENTAUR".
Baby Huey is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
High School Jeepers Thread Drakea94 Off-Topic 103741 Today 09:16 AM
high amp alternator? DirtyRob YJ Tech Forum 25 02-19-2013 04:01 PM
Oil smells like gas Mattwahl28 TJ General Discussion Forum 16 04-06-2012 09:42 PM
High idle when stopping? SoCalRailFan TJ General Discussion Forum 4 04-02-2012 02:55 PM
Odd Oil Pressure 97 4.0L Murray8503 TJ General Discussion Forum 5 04-02-2012 09:31 AM



Download our Mobile App

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:35 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC