I just completed my YJ and thought Id share some of the things I learned. These are my opinions only and hope they help someone.... I numbered them so y'all can disagree or elaborate.
Keep in mind this is prob more for the older Jeeps....
Here's my "build" thread http://www.wranglerforum.com/f8/fina...ed-149684.html
....in no particular order whatsover.....
1. Just get a Bestop soft top. I had another brand to begin with and it sucked...just get the one that is awesome to begin with.
2. The ONLY thing that fits without any effort or modifications or bending or cutting or otherwise work...was the spare tire cover. In other words if you buy something that says it's gonna bolt right on.. LOL yeah right.
3. Besides power tools ( I would have never tackled this with manual tools only) get some penetrating oil...you're gonna need it.
4. If one screw or bolt don't fit, try a different one.
5. If it won't fit, drill a hole and make it fit.
6. Torx bolts suck the big one!!! Don't believe me? Wait till you strip one and have buy a replacement...they are up to $7.00 a piece!! Replace them as you go with a suitable hex or other bolts.
7. Before you start any major engine or body work...make damned sure you have a bolt extraction set. (see #3)
8. Get the manual for your Jeep, you're gonna need that as well.
9. Make sure you torque to specifications. Everything.
10. HEY!! the seats come out real easy!
11. The Element doors are bad ass!!! The enclosure kit is awesome! Go ahead and spring for the bags....you got a place to put your shit so it don't blow out.
12. When someone quotes you $3000 for a paint job on a $3000 Jeep, don't laugh. He might be serious. (he was serious, and he was NOT happy about my finding his quote insane) I did, however, keep laughing as I drove away...
13. You can paint better than Macco. Just go for it and do one practice vehicle before you paint your Jeep. It ain't rocket surgery. You'll do fine and do 1000% better than Macco.
14. On the crawler, under the Jeep is a great place to take a nap.
15. Be patient!!!
16. Be patient!!!
17. Have FUN!!!
18. Shop around for deals on parts. Some places had stuff for $100's less. Try Amazon.com and of course EBAY.
19. Never EVER believe the picture beside an item you're buying. Make sure you have the right part number and fit.
I'm sure there's more I'll add if I remember anything.