Looking for a cheap yet good rear tire carrier - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > General Jeep Discussions > General Jeep Discussion

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 02-17-2014, 09:22 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
Brandon_james's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 72
Looking for a cheap yet good rear tire carrier

Looking for a rear tire carrier for my 99 tj that will hold a 35in tire under 300 I bought a smittybilt front stinger and was not impressed with the way it aligned up with my frame (it was a b@&$ to get it on) so I don't want to have the same problem with the rear if I get a smittybilt rear tire carrier bumper... And is there any kits that are cheap that I can convert my regular pro comp rear bumper to a rear tire carrier bumper?

__________________
99 jeep wrangler Sahara
6in rough country long arm lift
35 in pro comp extreme mud terrains
Stinger bumper
Locked
Brandon_james is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-17-2014, 10:34 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
djwrangler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 427
I'm running the Bestop Highrock carrier on my YJ. Good up to 35 inch tire or 200lbs. Mounts to the roll bar through the tub and near the lower body mount. Also hinged to the tailgate so it opens and closes with it. Can keep any bumper you like since it doesn't mount to one. Very strong and doesn't rattle at all. Got mine for a little over $300.

__________________
'93 YJ, 4.0, AX15, Aussie locked D30/open 8.8, 4.10s, 2.5 OME lift, 31s...
djwrangler is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-17-2014, 10:36 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
Owen_TJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 4,024
Cheap and good generally dont go hand in hand when you're talking about a wrangler lol...

but as dj, said...the bestop is a great brand a carrier for a decent price.

I'll personally be going with an exogate when i get some cash in the door.
Owen_TJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-17-2014, 10:39 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
Brandon_james's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen_TJ View Post
Cheap and good generally dont go hand in hand when you're talking about a wrangler lol... but as dj, said...the bestop is a great brand a carrier for a decent price. I'll personally be going with an exogate when i get some cash in the door.
yeah I was depending in waiting for more cash or go the cheap way out but cheap isn't always good.. My spare tire has been sitting in the garage for months now
__________________
99 jeep wrangler Sahara
6in rough country long arm lift
35 in pro comp extreme mud terrains
Stinger bumper
Locked
Brandon_james is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-17-2014, 11:03 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
Owen_TJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 4,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon_james View Post
yeah I was depending in waiting for more cash or go the cheap way out but cheap isn't always good.. My spare tire has been sitting in the garage for months now
Same...i actually still have a 32" spare mounted on my mickey thompson rim (i run 35's now). The spare has been in my garage for about 2 years now. At first i wasnt sure what route i wanted to go with a carrier and now that i have it figured out i dont have the cash flow lol.

I'd personally just save up a bit more and get something thats actually worth it...otherwise you'll regret going the cheap route and end up with something else down the road anyway.
Owen_TJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-18-2014, 04:28 PM   #6
ExtremeTerrain.com Sponsoring Vendor
 
XTRyan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Malvern, PA
Posts: 2,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon_james View Post
Looking for a rear tire carrier for my 99 tj that will hold a 35in tire under 300 I bought a smittybilt front stinger and was not impressed with the way it aligned up with my frame (it was a b@&$ to get it on) so I don't want to have the same problem with the rear if I get a smittybilt rear tire carrier bumper... And is there any kits that are cheap that I can convert my regular pro comp rear bumper to a rear tire carrier bumper?
Check out the Barricade Rear Bumper and Tire Carrier. With a discount from me it's really close to being in your price range and it's a super solid product. Check out the customer reviews on the page and you'll see that people have good luck installing them without modification.

Let me know if you have any questions or if you'd like a quote!

-Ryan
__________________
Ryan H. | ExtremeTerrain.com Off-Road Outfitters
Toll Free: 800-988-4605 | Mon-Fri 10AM-6PM EST
Free Shipping on Orders Over $75!
EARN UP TO $200 TOWARD YOUR NEXT PURCHASE!
PM me for our WranglerForum Discount Code (must have 25 posts) or Price-Matching!
GET YOUR FREE JEEP PARTS CATALOG!
XTRyan is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-18-2014, 08:56 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
Brandon_james's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by XTRyan View Post
Check out the Barricade Rear Bumper and Tire Carrier. With a discount from me it's really close to being in your price range and it's a super solid product. Check out the customer reviews on the page and you'll see that people have good luck installing them without modification. Let me know if you have any questions or if you'd like a quote! -Ryan
. Thanks well my battery died on me today and it's junk now so had to buy a platinum diehard which is like 230 bucks and got the jeep inspected now I gotta save up again any chance you can still give me a deal in a few months?

__________________
99 jeep wrangler Sahara
6in rough country long arm lift
35 in pro comp extreme mud terrains
Stinger bumper
Locked
Brandon_james is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:24 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC