M8000 - No hook? - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > General Jeep Discussions > General Jeep Discussion

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 01-16-2011, 12:16 AM   #1
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 746
M8000 - No hook?

So, I've finished installing my Warn M8000 winch (pics to come tomorrow) - but uh...there's no hook. I've tried about every Google search I could think of and didn't find anything suggesting this to be a common issue.

So 2 questions:

1) Anyone else get shipped a winch without a hook?

2) The Basic Guide to Winching Techniques pamphlet that came with the winch shows hooking to a tree saver with a d-ring going through the cable loop end (rather than the hook) - so I'm assuming it is safe to use the thing without a hook? At the very least to stretch the rope (the main goal this weekend - last step of the install)?

One way or another, I'll get a hook, but unfortunately, I can't find anywhere local that stocks the things (unless you count the 4000 lb rated hooks Lowes/Home Depot/Menards sells) - so I'm ordering online or getting Amazon to send me the one I thought was coming in the box.

Bubba68CS is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-16-2011, 12:40 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
YJPunisher213's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 299
Images: 14
My XRC10 came with a hook. Amazon always has good prices and the customer service is second to none. Alternatives for the hook would be places like Tractor Supply.

YJPunisher213 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-16-2011, 12:50 AM   #3
Jeeper
 
monkeee2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Western Idaho
Posts: 1,468
Quote:
Originally Posted by YJPunisher213 View Post
My XRC10 came with a hook. Amazon always has good prices and the customer service is second to none. Alternatives for the hook would be places like Tractor Supply.
Most farming and tractor supply stores will have hooks, just be sure to get it rated for at least as much weight as your winch (8000). If you don't, you'll be creating a weak link in your recovery gear.
__________________
" ... Nobody said it was a good plan. It's like somebody went through an actual strategy and replaced every instance of the word 'tactical' with 'balls out.' ... "

monkeee2002 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-16-2011, 12:59 AM   #4
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 746
The weird thing is while it did not come with the hook - it did come with the solenoid mounting bracket everyone complains about them not including.

I really have no problems spending $20 on a hook...but it just seemed weird for it to not be included.

And yeah, I've been paying real close attention to the weight ratings - bought a d-ring and tree saver and did a lot of research on those ratings...I'll ensure the hook is of proper rating before purchasing.
Bubba68CS is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-16-2011, 01:28 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by YJPunisher213
My XRC10 came with a hook. Amazon always has good prices and the customer service is second to none. Alternatives for the hook would be places like Tractor Supply.
Hey yj how ya liking ur xrc10? I got mine on my tj for Xmas and mines been great. Any complaints on ur end or pros?
P.S. When I typed in yj, my iPhone corrected it to tj.... Hmmmm lol wonder what tht means!
Middleton is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-16-2011, 01:29 AM   #6
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 174
Oh and to stay on topic my XRC also came with a hook. I'm sure yours was just packaging error.
Middleton is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-16-2011, 08:29 AM   #7
Jeeper
 
YJPunisher213's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 299
Images: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middleton View Post
Hey yj how ya liking ur xrc10? I got mine on my tj for Xmas and mines been great. Any complaints on ur end or pros?
P.S. When I typed in yj, my iPhone corrected it to tj.... Hmmmm lol wonder what tht means!
Freakin' LOVE IT!!! For the price I'd put it against any Warn or Ramsey. Had it 2 years now and its been dropped, submersed, over loaded, had a few run ins with trees........ this thing JUST WONT QUIT!
YJPunisher213 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-16-2011, 04:43 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: East Bay Northern Cailfornia
Posts: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba68CS View Post
So, I've finished installing my Warn M8000 winch (pics to come tomorrow) - but uh...there's no hook. I've tried about every Google search I could think of and didn't find anything suggesting this to be a common issue.

So 2 questions:

1) Anyone else get shipped a winch without a hook?

2) The Basic Guide to Winching Techniques pamphlet that came with the winch shows hooking to a tree saver with a d-ring going through the cable loop end (rather than the hook) - so I'm assuming it is safe to use the thing without a hook? At the very least to stretch the rope (the main goal this weekend - last step of the install)?

One way or another, I'll get a hook, but unfortunately, I can't find anywhere local that stocks the things (unless you count the 4000 lb rated hooks Lowes/Home Depot/Menards sells) - so I'm ordering online or getting Amazon to send me the one I thought was coming in the box.
Did you try calling the guys you bought it from. I have never heard of a winch w/o a hook.


I do know that some jeepers remove the hook and install a thimble. check out this link Winch Safety Thimble

Plumber1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Tags
clevis hook , m8000 , warn

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
rear tow hook?? AtcoTrailsINC TJ General Discussion Forum 25 07-12-2011 12:14 AM
Warn M8000 winch deal? chop110 TJ General Discussion Forum 6 01-07-2011 09:29 PM
2009 Jeep Rear tow hook rs87277 JK General Discussion Forum 2 08-22-2009 12:25 AM
JK hitch/tow hook daggo66 JK Pics Forum 21 06-11-2009 12:56 PM
front tow hook help slippy TJ Tech Forum 6 03-24-2008 06:15 AM



» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:03 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC