Manual or Automatic - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > General Jeep Discussions > General Jeep Discussion

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 05-31-2010, 07:50 PM   #1
Newb
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2
Manual or Automatic

I am new to the Jeep world and am VERY excited to be purchasing my first Jeep Wrangler!!!! Looking to buy a 2010 Sahara, just not sure if I should get manual or automatic. If one is better than the other as far as problems. I am able to drive either. Thank You for any impute!!

Snobound1013 is offline   Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 08:08 PM   #2
Marine Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
tysalem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 5,399
I just got my first jeep and I went with the 6-speed manual. After driving it for two weeks or so I am very pleased that I went with that choice. You feel like your are really in control of the jeep and I personally think it is much more fun. A lot of people will say that automatics are better for off-roading however I feel like it is more of a challenge to operate three pedals instead of two, adding to the fun. Whatever choice you go with, I know you will have a great time with it.

__________________
So it's been, and shall be weighed: though many are born, few are "made". Faithful Always, they shall remain, dogs to loose when war is waged.
tysalem is offline   Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 08:13 PM   #3
I am JD & It's my Dream

WF Supporting Member
::WF Administrator::
 
JDsDream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: The Peach State
Posts: 27,793
Images: 4
I have the auto and sometimes wish I had the straight. I really couldn't tell you if one is more trouble free than the other. I do know that one is easier and cheaper to repair than the other. It all comes down to personal choice. If you plan on doing some heavy off-roading, then I would suggest the auto.
__________________
The kind of woman that when my feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, She's up!"

To All Of Our Forum Veterans and Active Service Members.
Our Debt To You Is Greater Than We Could Ever Repay.
Thank You

Become a Supporting Member!
JDsDream is online now   Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 08:15 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
JIMBOX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 9,914
The 6-speed has a habit of jumping out of 1st gear and clutchs burn

The Auto has a habit of getting hot--easy mod to fix that

I've had manuals/autos in 13 different off-road vehicles and I'll never get a manual again, I don't need any challenges in my off roading !!

The autos are best in snow/water/mud (althouigh, I won't do mud anymore)

The manual will cause clutch failure in water/mud

If it's your daily driver---the balls in your court !!

Good luck

JIMBO
__________________
"ya gotta have class"
JIMBOX is offline   Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 08:28 PM   #5
Marine Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
tysalem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 5,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBOX View Post
The 6-speed has a habit of jumping out of 1st
I saw that thread talking about that, however wasn't that only occurring on 2007's or earlier? I've had my 2010 for a little while and haven't had that happen. Just askin!
__________________
So it's been, and shall be weighed: though many are born, few are "made". Faithful Always, they shall remain, dogs to loose when war is waged.
tysalem is offline   Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 08:36 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
JIMBOX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 9,914
Well in the BIG THREAD in the JK forum, the '07/'08/09's are having trouble, I didn't see any '10's, but it wouldn't surprise me


Quote:
Originally Posted by tysalem View Post
I saw that thread talking about that, however wasn't that only occurring on 2007's or earlier? I've had my 2010 for a little while and haven't had that happen. Just askin!
JIMBO
__________________
"ya gotta have class"
JIMBOX is offline   Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 08:42 PM   #7
Newb
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2
Thank You everyone for your input!! I guess since it will be my everyday driver I will go automatic. Now to cancel the order with the dealer.
Snobound1013 is offline   Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 08:46 PM   #8
The Bad Guy

WF Supporting Member
 
daggo66's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NJ exile living in Baltimore
Posts: 22,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snobound1013 View Post
Thank You everyone for your input!! I guess since it will be my everyday driver I will go automatic. Now to cancel the order with the dealer.
Excellent! You've just made a major personal decision based purely on the opinions of complete strangers. Do you have any money we can help you invest? I know a few bankers in Nigeria.
__________________
Tom

"I've got two things in this world, my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one."
daggo66 is offline   Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 08:54 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
bobjenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,646
I love manual
bobjenkins is offline   Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 09:16 PM   #10
that's what she said

WF Supporting Member
 
jgano23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: \m/-_-\m/
Posts: 16,482
Send a message via AIM to jgano23 Send a message via Yahoo to jgano23
jgano23 is offline   Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 09:21 PM   #11
Sponsoring Vendor
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,612
I drove my favorite company Jeep last week: manual TJ. Still love it, but I got stuck in bad traffic from an accident or something. Three plus miles of total stop and go.

Reminded me of why my commuter cars are always autos.
Geoff@Bestop is offline   Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 09:34 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
hig4s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Jacksonville
Posts: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBOX View Post
Well in the BIG THREAD in the JK forum, the '07/'08/09's are having trouble, I didn't see any '10's, but it wouldn't surprise me




JIMBO
My 08 manual has never jumped out of 1st!!!

But I did have a 2000 Chevy Silverado that would.
__________________

.....____
/l ,[____],
l---L []lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)----)_)
http://honpol.blogspot.com/
08 JK Unlimited, soft top, 6 speed, 3.73 tow package, cruise, limited slip, 265/75-16s
hig4s is offline   Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 09:51 PM   #13
I Need A Cigarette

WF Supporting Member
 
Sf_Kilo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Bethel Park, PA
Posts: 514
Images: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBOX View Post
The 6-speed has a habit of jumping out of 1st gear and clutchs burn


The autos are best in snow/water/mud (althouigh, I won't do mud anymore)

The manual will cause clutch failure in water/mud

If it's your daily driver---the balls in your court !!

Good luck

JIMBO

If you know how to drive the clutch will never burn!
oh... and the 2010's don't seem to have a JOG issue..

also

Since when are autos better in the snow???
There were 4 various jeeps and 12 let me say that again 12! other suv's all autos (I know cause I helped them get out) stuck that I had no issue outdoing in my manual mini cooper during the huge PA snow storm this year....
0 ground clearance ( I was pushing snow with the bumper) FWD and snow tires (and driving talent i guess) did better than 5+" of clearance and 4WD????

To top it off I never locked up the brakes once ....wait???? ....No...... I never used the brakes.....

There is only one off road use that a skilled clutch user can not do just as well at and that is rock climbing.
Mud is an issue but as long as you don't clutch in there is no issue
Sf_Kilo is offline   Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 09:56 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SF Bay Area, CA
Posts: 360
My 2007 Sahara 2DR never jumped out of gear.

Bought a 2010 Sahara 4DR today, again a manual. I would have been satisfied with an auto if the right Jeep was available, but it wasn't. But especially on a 4DR, I wanted more control of a manual.
__________________
2013 VW GTI
2009 Nissan Xterra
plac is offline   Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 11:49 PM   #15
I HAVE A BELLYBUTTON!

WF Supporting Member
 
cavediverjc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: On the grassy knoll...
Posts: 7,150
See post #10.........

Autos = rocks
__________________
Americans sleep safely in their beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do them harm...

Happiness is a Barrett M82A1 .50 caliber and a target at least a click out........

I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you with tears in my eyes, if you f**k with me, I'll kill you all.....
cavediverjc is offline   Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 12:10 AM   #16
Abe Froman

5-Year WF Supporting Member
WF Supporting Member
 
doclouie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Was in the mountains, now in Texas
Posts: 3,709
Images: 4
Auto all the way. Keep sticks in sports cars or cars that have 50 horses under the hood. I can not imagine the terror in Moab of driving a stick up some of the sandstone hills that are hundreds of feet high. It is a common thing to need to stop half way up a very steep hill for other vehicles. The kind of hill that if you give it too much gas you will flip over backwards. Yea I have seen some sticks do exactly that. With my auto all I have to do is hold the brakes and give it gas and let off the brakes. Zero roll back, which is what you want unless you are in reverse. Go with the auto for daily driving too. Take care of the tranny by putting a cooler on it as soon as you get it. My XJ original tranny was still strong at 250,000 miles before my wife totaled out the Jeep. Heat is the enemy and changing fluids on schedule will make life better and cheaper.
__________________
2000 Sahara, 3.5" Rubicon Express Lift, 1" spring spacer & 1" Body Lift, 33" or 35" BFG Mud tires, Front & Rear ARB, Rancho 9000 shocks, UCF Ultra High Belly Up

doclouie is offline   Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 05:56 AM   #17
The Bad Guy

WF Supporting Member
 
daggo66's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NJ exile living in Baltimore
Posts: 22,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by doclouie View Post
Auto all the way. Keep sticks in sports cars or cars that have 50 horses under the hood. I can not imagine the terror in Moab of driving a stick up some of the sandstone hills that are hundreds of feet high. It is a common thing to need to stop half way up a very steep hill for other vehicles. The kind of hill that if you give it too much gas you will flip over backwards. Yea I have seen some sticks do exactly that. With my auto all I have to do is hold the brakes and give it gas and let off the brakes. Zero roll back, which is what you want unless you are in reverse. Go with the auto for daily driving too. Take care of the tranny by putting a cooler on it as soon as you get it. My XJ original tranny was still strong at 250,000 miles before my wife totaled out the Jeep. Heat is the enemy and changing fluids on schedule will make life better and cheaper.
I take it you are unaware of HSA (hill start assist) starting in '09. Zero rollback. Of course proper clutch operation also results in zero rollback. Two other things most people are unaware of. In 4lo you can start the engine in gear without the clutch and it is virtually impossible to stall the engine in 4lo, even while applying the brake.
__________________
Tom

"I've got two things in this world, my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one."
daggo66 is offline   Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 07:56 AM   #18
Jeeper
 
JIMBOX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 9,914
Heh Heh, like CD says, see #10

A standard xmission is worthless in ten feet of powder snow, I can't count the number of times that my tire shop/SAR team(High Sierras) had to go "RESCUE" 4wd--STICKS--that tried to prove "I can go anywhere" and it wasn't just jeeps, it was Chevy s10's, Blazers/Rangers and jeeps

Even then, the younguns thought that, off-road, it had to be a stick

My DODGES, with Autos, were able to go pretty easy in 10ft of snow--NO CHAINS--but

Some things never change

JIMBO
__________________
"ya gotta have class"
JIMBOX is offline   Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 08:03 AM   #19
The Bad Guy

WF Supporting Member
 
daggo66's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NJ exile living in Baltimore
Posts: 22,433
Jimbo, I have had an automatic (1980 CJ7) and a manual (2009 JK). An automatic is definitely easier off road. Easier, not better. It all comes down to personal preference. You snow story is BS. A transmission has nothing to do with the vehicles ability or inability to perform in snow. Tires, ground clearance, driver ability are all much more important factors than transmission choice when drivng in snow.
__________________
Tom

"I've got two things in this world, my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one."
daggo66 is offline   Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 08:22 AM   #20
Jeeper
 
JIMBOX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 9,914
Heh Heh, I don't know if anybody on this forum has the experience of driving in deep snow, but rescue teams and SARs and Exploration teams have done the same--

My story has no BS, one advantage of the auto vs the stick--most of the time when a vehicle gets stuck (high ctr) in snow, is because the tires dig holes---RIGHT, low air pressure 5psi also works in soft sand at SLOW speeds

With the auto and experience, you can "ROCK" outta the holes R/D--R/D--R/D and the vehicle "gently rocks back and forth out of the depressions

Now Daggo, it's to bad that you consider my posts BS-your evaluation doesn't surprise me!!

JIMBO
__________________
"ya gotta have class"
JIMBOX is offline   Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 09:00 AM   #21
The Bad Guy

WF Supporting Member
 
daggo66's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NJ exile living in Baltimore
Posts: 22,433
You just explained that the vehicle was high centered. It did not get high centered because of the transmission. It got high centered because of a lack of ground clearance. Rocking an automatic will get you out, but it is very hard on the trans. You can rock a manual also. I did it several times in the big blizzard this winter. You just need to know how to do it.
__________________
Tom

"I've got two things in this world, my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one."
daggo66 is offline   Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 10:00 AM   #22
I Need A Cigarette

WF Supporting Member
 
Sf_Kilo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Bethel Park, PA
Posts: 514
Images: 4
Sry jimbox but I agree an auto is for those who can't drive a stick worth a damn.... If you want to think 10" is alot for a vehicle ask my mini Cooper, it went through a foot or more with little complaint.... No one could ever take the same vehicle as an auto where I can take it as stick....
As for rocks I will agree a slushbox is the way to go and if I get into that I will buy one...
Outside of rocks the auto is worthless...
Worse mpg
easier to break
harder to fix on the trail
more likely to fail completely and leave you stranded...
I am not here to argue but the facts are the facts...
I think the op should decide based on what he will be doing not what people think is better cause it's what they have or their friend had etc.
Sf_Kilo is offline   Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 10:08 AM   #23
Sponsoring Vendor
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sf_Kilo View Post
I am not here to argue but the facts are the facts...
Other great lines that immediately contradict themselves:

I don't mean to be rude, but...

My opponent is an honorable man, but...

Geoff, since you've been here, you've been doing a great job, but...

I would have remembered our anniversary, but...
Geoff@Bestop is offline   Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 10:11 AM   #24
Jeeper
 
JIMBOX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 9,914


Well, I don't know where you got 10" of snow depth--I was talking 10 FEET !!

Now evidentally your Mini Cooper with handle that also, why did you ever get a JEEP ???.

JIMBO
__________________
"ya gotta have class"
JIMBOX is offline   Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 10:51 AM   #25
I Need A Cigarette

WF Supporting Member
 
Sf_Kilo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Bethel Park, PA
Posts: 514
Images: 4
If you have 10 feet stay home lol...
Why did I buy one ???? Hmm cause I liked it...
I enjoy trail riding and so on... If I were going to rock climb I would build a rock crawler.... I don't look at things from the same perspective as most apparently... I buy vehicles based off what I plan to do with them...
The mini is a 60k$ track toy that squeezes every ounce of hp from the stock 1.6L the wrangler soon to be wrangler unlimited is the current daily driver... a 27' boat for when it's time to play on water.... Am I missing something here do people buy a jeep to replace all these things??? I doubt it...
If I'm going to crawl I will get a crawler if I want a mud truck ill build one it's not that big of a deal...
The jeep is a nice cheep daily driver that I don't have to worry about...oh and it's fun
Sf_Kilo is offline   Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 12:50 PM   #26
I HAVE A BELLYBUTTON!

WF Supporting Member
 
cavediverjc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: On the grassy knoll...
Posts: 7,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sf_Kilo View Post
Sry jimbox but I agree an auto is for those who can't drive a stick worth a damn.... If you want to think 10" is alot for a vehicle ask my mini Cooper, it went through a foot or more with little complaint.... No one could ever take the same vehicle as an auto where I can take it as stick....
As for rocks I will agree a slushbox is the way to go and if I get into that I will buy one...
Outside of rocks the auto is worthless...
Worse mpg
easier to break
harder to fix on the trail
more likely to fail completely and leave you stranded...
I am not here to argue but the facts are the facts...
I think the op should decide based on what he will be doing not what people think is better cause it's what they have or their friend had etc.
I'm going to play Devil's Advocate here for a second.......

How do you figure the auto is worthless outside of rock crawling?
Worse MPG? Not quite. Look it up.
Easier to break? Can you give me an example of how easy it is to break the SAME YEAR'S auto over your manual?
Harder to fix on the trail? How many trannys have you fixed on the trail? And once again, I'm asking for an example....
More likely to fail and leave you stranded? Then why is it that almost ALL hardcore offroaders prefer autos over manuals? Wouldn't you think that something that is as prone to failure as you make the auto out to be would never been seen on any type of competitive circuit?

I'm not here to argue, but the facts are the facts. Isn't that what you said? Until you can come up with HARD EVIDENCE that autos in offroad situations are the JUNK you say they are, your argument doesn't hold any water.
__________________
Americans sleep safely in their beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do them harm...

Happiness is a Barrett M82A1 .50 caliber and a target at least a click out........

I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you with tears in my eyes, if you f**k with me, I'll kill you all.....
cavediverjc is offline   Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 12:53 PM   #27
I HAVE A BELLYBUTTON!

WF Supporting Member
 
cavediverjc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: On the grassy knoll...
Posts: 7,150
I've heard of a bunch of people who swap their manual tranny's for autos, but almost never hear of someone swapping their autos over for manuals.
__________________
Americans sleep safely in their beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do them harm...

Happiness is a Barrett M82A1 .50 caliber and a target at least a click out........

I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you with tears in my eyes, if you f**k with me, I'll kill you all.....
cavediverjc is offline   Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 01:00 PM   #28
I HAVE A BELLYBUTTON!

WF Supporting Member
 
cavediverjc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: On the grassy knoll...
Posts: 7,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sf_Kilo View Post
Sry jimbox but I agree an auto is for those who can't drive a stick worth a damn.... No one could ever take the same vehicle as an auto where I can take it as stick.....


Seriously? You really are you own biggest fan, huh?

Is there room for us in your trumped up reality?

Maybe it's time to take yourself a little less seriously there, guy.
__________________
Americans sleep safely in their beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do them harm...

Happiness is a Barrett M82A1 .50 caliber and a target at least a click out........

I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you with tears in my eyes, if you f**k with me, I'll kill you all.....
cavediverjc is offline   Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 01:32 PM   #29
Sponsoring Vendor
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,612
I almost think I'd rather get involved in a religious discussion, or talk politics with Skeeter, than get involved in this manual vs auto quagmire. But what the hey:

Most arguments for manuals being far superior really boil down to "it makes me feel more in charge." Or hell, maybe it boils down to "makes me feel more manly." It's not possible to argue this point one way or the other. This is a great argument for owning a manual yourself, but perhaps not the best for persuading others.

Many arguments against automatics are, I think, based on old and obsolete information. Autos are massively better than they used to be, but some of these arguments seem to be comparing sticks to 1950's autos. If you compare a stick to a 2010's auto, the situation changes.

Most sports cars and supercars now come with a form of automatic. They shift smoother and much much faster.

Most competition Jeeps are now automatics. These are guys who have to put "feelings" aside for competitive advantage.

A clutch is probably the single weakest link in any drive train.

And finally: for newbies, an auto is a godsend. I get to take people out fourwheeling from time to time. And man, when it's someone from the flatlands visiting Colorado for the first time, Jeeping for the first time, I want them in our auto equipped Jeeps.
Geoff@Bestop is offline   Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 02:06 PM   #30
The Bad Guy

WF Supporting Member
 
daggo66's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NJ exile living in Baltimore
Posts: 22,433
I can't disagree with any of that and that is precisely the reason I wouldn't even try to persuade someone to buy one over the other. It's strictly personal preference. There is no doubt in my mind that it's easier to wheel an auto than a stick. That doesn't equate to better in my mind, however. Many use traffic as a reason to prefer an automatic. I'm in traffic with a manual all the time. I don't even notice what I'm doing, shifting has become that "automatic" for me.

No one should get one or the other because of something they read on the internet. They should form their own decision based on what they like.

__________________
Tom

"I've got two things in this world, my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one."
daggo66 is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Automatic vs Manual Transmission BIGCALL JK General Discussion Forum 81 12-18-2014 07:53 AM
Manual to Automatic Transmission Conversion johnnymac TJ Tech Forum 37 08-26-2014 01:00 AM
Automatic or Manual JTBAZ TJ General Discussion Forum 10 03-19-2010 03:28 PM
Automatic to manual? doclouie TJ Tech Forum 10 02-20-2010 11:23 PM
automatic tranny to manual tranny conversion sorrellsjm TJ General Discussion Forum 12 02-09-2009 02:53 PM



Download our Mobile App

» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:45 PM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2015 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC