More power - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > General Jeep Discussions > General Jeep Discussion

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 01-23-2012, 09:12 PM   #1
Newb
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 3
More power

On my 2010 unlimited I have changed the intake to k&n. Changed the exhaust to dual and bought the diablo sport chip. What else can I do to the factory motor to get more power?

Lewshavoc is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-23-2012, 09:25 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 241
Drop in a hemi....

56cj5 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-23-2012, 09:29 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
BadMojo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Big Sandy Texas
Posts: 299
I've always been a proponent of stuffing more air into an engine so you can burn more fuel! Supercharge that puppy!
BadMojo is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-24-2012, 05:40 AM   #4
MallCrawler

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 35,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadMojo
I've always been a proponent of stuffing more air into an engine so you can burn more fuel! Supercharge that puppy!
That's it^^

I love my Superchips
kjeeper10 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-24-2012, 06:59 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: north jersey
Posts: 514
check out rippmods
blackforestgreen is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-24-2012, 09:17 AM   #6
Jeeper
 
coolbreeze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Redding, Ca
Posts: 860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewshavoc View Post
On my 2010 unlimited I have changed the intake to k&n. Changed the exhaust to dual and bought the diablo sport chip. What else can I do to the factory motor to get more power?
Have you actually made noticeable power yet?
__________________
2004 Black X 4.0, auto, 3.73's, soft top 31-10.5-15 Toyo A/T's on 8" Ultra 175's, 2" Teraflex BB.
coolbreeze is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-24-2012, 09:53 AM   #7
Jeeper
 
thejackcutts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Near a buncha trees
Posts: 573

Everyone knows stickers add HorsePower!
__________________
What's Green and has wheels?
Grass, I lied about the wheels.
thejackcutts is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-24-2012, 10:30 AM   #8
Jeeper
 
jamesS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: My stomping ground is in the mountains of Lebanon
Posts: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadMojo View Post
I've always been a proponent of stuffing more air into an engine so you can burn more fuel! Supercharge that puppy!
Super chargers typically increase MPG from what I've learned.
jamesS is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-24-2012, 10:53 PM   #9
Newb
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 3
I have noticed some power increase with the sport chip and intake. Not much with the exhaust upgrade. Has anyone upgraded the headers?
Lewshavoc is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-24-2012, 11:41 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
Owen_TJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 4,111
supercharger...
Owen_TJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-24-2012, 11:55 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
BadMojo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Big Sandy Texas
Posts: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesS View Post
Super chargers typically increase MPG from what I've learned.

Yes, yes they don't! But they sure add power!
BadMojo is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-25-2012, 01:17 AM   #12
Jeeper
 
jamesS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: My stomping ground is in the mountains of Lebanon
Posts: 95
I don't have mine yet, but all the reading I've done says there is an increase in MPG?
I haven't got any first hand experience with this.
Do you have one?
Root or centrifugal?
Whats type of decrease have you had?
jamesS is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-25-2012, 05:33 AM   #13
Jeeper
 
JEEPDON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Over the hill
Posts: 1,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewshavoc View Post
On my 2010 unlimited I have changed the intake to k&n. Changed the exhaust to dual and bought the diablo sport chip. What else can I do to the factory motor to get more power?
Gears, Gears, Gears. Your 3.8l is doing about all it can do! Naturally aspirated. And if you have put larger tires on, without regearing, you have really killed the power that it does have. K&N= dirt; if you do any offroad stuff. I threw mine in the dumpster and went back to factory without noticable difference in power or performance. It just doesn't sound as powerful.. I have a '10 2 dr and went from the stock 255/70-18's (32's)
to 285/75-16's ( 33's) with 6 speed manual and have not yet regeared and that made a HUGE difference at hiway speeds. That really robbed the power that it does make!! I now hardly ever shift above 4th gear because 5th and 6th just do not have enough power to pull itself properly. Will be putting in 4.88's with selectable lockers in near future, which will put RPM's about same in 6th as I now have in 4th. And this will also make a big difference in offroad capabilities.
Good luck. Don.
Experience= that is what you get right after you need it the most!
JEEPDON is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-25-2012, 05:44 AM   #14
Jeeper
 
XJ Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Walking The Plank
Posts: 16,640
Depending on your tire size, Regear. Regear.. Regear...
__________________
-XJ- 2001 Jeep XJ Cherokee - Gone
1999 Jeep XJ Cherokee - Party Hard


-InfernoGirl- "They are the most fun you can have with your pants on..."

"Selfless over Selfish" RIP Brian "96_XJ" Perrine
XJ Knight is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-25-2012, 12:42 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
BadMojo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Big Sandy Texas
Posts: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesS View Post
I don't have mine yet, but all the reading I've done says there is an increase in MPG?
I haven't got any first hand experience with this.
Do you have one?
Root or centrifugal?
Whats type of decrease have you had?
No supercharger on the Jeep (at the moment), however I have built a few supercharged engines, the last being a roots based Eaton MP62 on a Miata. Fuel economy went from a reliable 32mpg no matter the driving conditions to a whopping 25mpg if you didn't get your foot into it. Under boost playing around it got right at 10mpg! When you supercharge an engine you are adding massive amounts of air, which in turn allows you to add massive amounts of fuel to keep the air fuel mixture at or near stoic. I just can't see how adding boost to an engine is going to increase fuel economy. Yeah there is going to be more power in relation to the weight of the vehicle, but that extra power is coming at the expense of burning more fuel. Only way I can see to increase the power and fuel economy is to swap in a larger engine that is already more fuel efficient in a heavier truck, then you gain some in the HP to weight ratio and could see an increase in MPG.
BadMojo is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-25-2012, 12:58 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
jamesS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: My stomping ground is in the mountains of Lebanon
Posts: 95
Thanks for that..Like I said, I haven't got any first hand experience...have only read results from others who have...
They pretty much believe that the engine is fundamentally more efficient...and are generally commenting on Ripps (centrifugal).
jamesS is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-25-2012, 01:17 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
BadMojo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Big Sandy Texas
Posts: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesS View Post
Thanks for that..Like I said, I haven't got any first hand experience...have only read results from others who have...
They pretty much believe that the engine is fundamentally more efficient...and are generally commenting on Ripps (centrifugal).
Yeah, and they may actually be on to something with the centrifugal setups...I haven't played with any of those. In theory it would be possible to move the torque curve down enough to actually bring the overall efficiency of the engine up to a point where your usable power range is in an area where you could see an increase in fuel economy. But it would require you to drive very very very responsibly...and where is the fun in that? You've got a supercharger!!! PLAY WITH THAT SUCKER!!!
BadMojo is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-25-2012, 01:19 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
Dextreme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Oregon City, OR
Posts: 3,607
Images: 1
Maybe Klotz Coxoc? I am too chicken to try it, but I think it is sort of like Nitromethane, but it mixes with gas.
__________________
'99 Chilli Pepper TJ Wrangler "Mistress"
33x12.5 DuraTracs
Zone 4.25"
Dextreme is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-25-2012, 01:33 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
BadMojo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Big Sandy Texas
Posts: 299
Was just sitting here thinking about this a little more and I can actually see where you might be able to get an increase in fuel economy with a supercharger. Everything I've set up has been built for racing, high rpm high horsepower, but on a Jeep or a truck in general you are likely not going to be looking for max HP, you are looking for max torque. Set up right a SC can give you an almost DC motor like torque curve, from off idle up to about 4000rpm, at 5250rpm HP passes torque on the curve, 5250 is actually the constant used for figuring HP, at that point torque will never be higher than HP. It's above 5250rpm where you are making the most power and needing to increase fuel rate almost exponentially to keep ahead of pre-ignition. I doubt most people in normal driving rev their Jeep past 5000rpms...So yeah, it is possible to see an increase in mileage with a supercharger, even taking into account the minor parasitic mechanical losses. I'm guessing that the centrifugal SC's may be a tad more efficient as to parasitics in comparison to a roots type. Hrmmm...I'll have to dig out some of my old simulation software and see...like I say I've never bothered running the numbers on a high torque low rpm setup lol, I always just built to get through the 1/4 mile as quick as possible, fuel economy be damned!
BadMojo is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-25-2012, 01:58 PM   #20
Jeeper
 
jamesS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: My stomping ground is in the mountains of Lebanon
Posts: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadMojo View Post
Yeah, and they may actually be on to something with the centrifugal setups...I haven't played with any of those. In theory it would be possible to move the torque curve down enough to actually bring the overall efficiency of the engine up to a point where your usable power range is in an area where you could see an increase in fuel economy. But it would require you to drive very very very responsibly...and where is the fun in that? You've got a supercharger!!! PLAY WITH THAT SUCKER!!!
I'm looking forward to getting mine and getting it installed...unfortunately MPGs of any reasonable numbers will never be in my future with these 1600lb tracks

Right now my biggest hope is that I dont tear up my 70,000 mile engine. From what I understand Ripp does sort of "tune down" there set up to something like 3 or 4 or 5lbs instead of the 10 its capable of...I'll post something when I'm smarter!
jamesS is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-25-2012, 02:06 PM   #21
Jeeper
 
BadMojo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Big Sandy Texas
Posts: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesS View Post
I'm looking forward to getting mine and getting it installed...unfortunately MPGs of any reasonable numbers will never be in my future with these 1600lb tracks

Right now my biggest hope is that I dont tear up my 70,000 mile engine. From what I understand Ripp does sort of "tune down" there set up to something like 3 or 4 or 5lbs instead of the 10 its capable of...I'll post something when I'm smarter!

Couple of things to look at on your engine before you add the charger. Put a vacuum gauge on one of the aux ports on the intake and check your vacuum level at idle, should be around 20-22 inches of vacuum. Also run a compression check on each cylinder, I don't know the spec on the Jeep, but it should be somewhere in the 180-190psi range on each cylinder and each cylinder should be within a couple of psi of each other. Last thing would be do a leak down test on each cylinder, each cylinder shouldn't drop more than a couple of psi over about 30 minutes to an hour. If all 3 of those check good your engine should be fine under boost. With 70,000 miles that engine should be fine with a charger on it!

I like the tracks by the way!
BadMojo is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-25-2012, 02:29 PM   #22
Jeeper
 
jamesS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: My stomping ground is in the mountains of Lebanon
Posts: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadMojo View Post
Couple of things to look at on your engine before you add the charger. Put a vacuum gauge on one of the aux ports on the intake and check your vacuum level at idle, should be around 20-22 inches of vacuum. Also run a compression check on each cylinder, I don't know the spec on the Jeep, but it should be somewhere in the 180-190psi range on each cylinder and each cylinder should be within a couple of psi of each other. Last thing would be do a leak down test on each cylinder, each cylinder shouldn't drop more than a couple of psi over about 30 minutes to an hour. If all 3 of those check good your engine should be fine under boost. With 70,000 miles that engine should be fine with a charger on it!

I like the tracks by the way!
Thanks BadMojo...good stuff.

jamesS is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Loosing power to radio, cig lighter, and turn ksplayland YJ Tech Forum 4 02-11-2012 05:11 PM
Power loss above 1/2 throttle, code 51 Roving.Richard YJ Tech Forum 2 02-12-2011 04:26 PM
1964 CJ5 Adding Power Breaks & Power maybe power steering mrbigglzworth CJ Tech Forum 0 01-17-2011 10:27 AM
Speakers Thump when power is turned off. danford1 Communications and Electronics 0 12-30-2010 01:05 PM
Power loss when wet ISUSteve YJ Tech Forum 6 12-27-2010 03:17 PM



Download our Mobile App

» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:05 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC