Off-road Lighting - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > General Jeep Discussions > General Jeep Discussion

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 03-19-2011, 08:37 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
GroundHawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: northeast ohio
Posts: 2,274
Off-road Lighting

So I just won $200 on a scratch off woohoo! I think I'll buy some lights.

Walmart has some Hella 500's. Pep Boys has KC HiLites. Both appear to be 55w.

Now, which do I get? I'd like to upgrade to 100w bulbs if possible. I'll be doing the install so labor is not a factor

GroundHawg is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-19-2011, 11:23 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 116
For alittle more money you can find some good hid lights. There gonna be a lot brighter and less draw on your alt. Or switch over to hid headlights.

friedfish is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-19-2011, 11:56 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: So Cal 805
Posts: 920
I think the KC's are 100w at PepBoys, at least the ones I looked at here are 100w
Xjman1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-20-2011, 02:09 AM   #4
Jeeper
 
GroundHawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: northeast ohio
Posts: 2,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xjman1
I think the KC's are 100w at PepBoys, at least the ones I looked at here are 100w
Hm, I'll give them another look tomorrow or Monday. That's the set I'm leaning toward anyway
GroundHawg is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-20-2011, 02:16 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,162
KC! 130 watt slimlight set. 2 of them all wiring you need. Long range offroad lights 177$ 4wd.com
KidRock171 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-21-2011, 02:17 AM   #6
Jeeper
 
GroundHawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: northeast ohio
Posts: 2,274
So KC then?
GroundHawg is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-21-2011, 02:25 AM   #7
Jeeper
 
Missoulatj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 228
Yep I have KC 130w SlimLites, and the headlight conversion they both work great. Also KC Hilites costumer service is very good, I had a headlight bulb go out 8 months after installing them, and they sent me a brand new one right away at no charge
Missoulatj is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-21-2011, 02:28 AM   #8
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
jeepjones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Canada, Eh?
Posts: 1,892
Just something to keep in mind,make sure they offer the light pattern your looking for. Are they spot lamps or flood lamps? Spot lamps will not have any or much in the way of diffusers on the lense and will throw light far down the road or trail. While a flood lamp is completely opposite and will have tons of built in diffusers and will light up the road/trail directly in front of the vehicle.
__________________
jeepjones is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-21-2011, 02:31 AM   #9
jcf
Bludger

WF Supporting Member
 
jcf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Moab UT
Posts: 12,824
Send a message via Yahoo to jcf
I just got some IPF 100 watt driving lights from Northridge4x4, they aren't bad for the money & free shipping

IPF 968 CSG 7in Multi-Purpose Driving Lights (968CSG)
Price: $144.95
(I couldn't find them cheaper anywhere else they were $165 & up then shipping on top)
jcf is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-21-2011, 10:16 AM   #10
Jeeper
 
GroundHawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: northeast ohio
Posts: 2,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepjones
Just something to keep in mind,make sure they offer the light pattern your looking for. Are they spot lamps or flood lamps? Spot lamps will not have any or much in the way of diffusers on the lense and will throw light far down the road or trail. While a flood lamp is completely opposite and will have tons of built in diffusers and will light up the road/trail directly in front of the vehicle.
I think they're floods. They'll be alright. I don't do much night wheeling. This will be more of a "looks" thing. Deer spotting will be a plus but it's not my main motivation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcf
I just got some IPF 100 watt driving lights from Northridge4x4, they aren't bad for the money & free shipping

IPF 968 CSG 7in Multi-Purpose Driving Lights (968CSG)
Price: $144.95
(I couldn't find them cheaper anywhere else they were $165 & up then shipping on top)
How is the 100w output? Wish you had more or less? Lights I'm eyeing at 55w I think but I'm getting at least 100w bulbs if I can find them.

I'm on my way up there after this coffee. It's a beautiful day here in Ohio to do vehicle work
GroundHawg is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-21-2011, 10:33 AM   #11
Hardcore Jeeper
 
Peepers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Windsor, CT
Posts: 3,320
I had a pair of each of these: Great Stuff!!!
Amazon.com: KC HiLiTES 631 Daylighter - 6 In Black 130w Long Range Off Road Light System (Pair): Automotive
Amazon.com: KC HiLiTES 633 Daylighter - 6 In Chrome 130w Driving Beam Off Road Light System (Pair): Automotive

I currently have a pair of these:
Amazon.com: KC HiLiTES 1609 Daylighter 100-Watt Black Flood Halogen Light: Automotive

While they do provide a lot of close light, my high beams shine farther then them. These are good for narrow trails or twisty roads where you don't have to see for a half mile.

I'm currently saving to upgrade hy headlights to HIDs of H4 lights, and HID off-road lights.
__________________
What have we got?
We have one heavily armed Recreational Vehicle


ΣΧ
The Power Tech 6
Peepers is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-21-2011, 11:12 AM   #12
Jeeper
 
JIMBOX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 9,914
I think you may have seen what I've got-

Modified Headlights-

Two "Navigator" 55 watt driving lights (below head lights) and adj-180 R/L-

Two KC Slimlights 100 watt-adl 180 R/L

Two 55 watt rear lights- adj U/D-R/L

Stock fog lights








The reason I even mentioned adjustable, is because sometimes when you're off-road you have to especially keep an eye on ONE SIDE-ie. cliff/river/rocks/lions/tigers/Zombies-

Kapish !

JIMBO
__________________
"ya gotta have class"
JIMBOX is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-21-2011, 11:18 AM   #13
Jeeper
 
GroundHawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: northeast ohio
Posts: 2,274
Cool thanks everyone.

I was waiting for u Jimbo. I knew u ran loads of lights :P

I was expecting that John guy too. Front of his jeep looks like a spaceship
GroundHawg is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-21-2011, 11:19 AM   #14
Hardcore Jeeper
 
Peepers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Windsor, CT
Posts: 3,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBOX View Post
The reason I even mentioned adjustable, is because sometimes when you're off-road you have to especially keep an eye on ONE SIDE-ie. cliff/river/rocks/lions/tigers/Zombies-

Kapish !

JIMBO
Too true. I have 2 35w floods on the back of my jeep, 2 55w floods pointing about 45 degrees from center to each side above the windshield, and 2 100w floods on the bumper. bring on the apocalypse...
__________________
What have we got?
We have one heavily armed Recreational Vehicle


ΣΧ
The Power Tech 6
Peepers is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-21-2011, 11:20 AM   #15
jcf
Bludger

WF Supporting Member
 
jcf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Moab UT
Posts: 12,824
Send a message via Yahoo to jcf
Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundHawg View Post
I think they're floods. They'll be alright. I don't do much night wheeling. This will be more of a "looks" thing. Deer spotting will be a plus but it's not my main motivation.



How is the 100w output? Wish you had more or less? Lights I'm eyeing at 55w I think but I'm getting at least 100w bulbs if I can find them.

I'm on my way up there after this coffee. It's a beautiful day here in Ohio to do vehicle work
I wouldn't say they are fantastic, they had the 55w in them & the 100w were supplied as well, so the 100 went in before I even fitted them, they certainly make a difference but I don't do a lot of night driving to spend a lot on them. I also upgraded my headlights & the two together are great for not a big wad of cash. IPF are from ARB which is a good brand so....they should last ok for me
jcf is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-21-2011, 11:30 AM   #16
Jeeper
 
JIMBOX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 9,914
Heh Heh, yea GH, his jeep looks like the MOTHER SHIP and-


Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundHawg View Post
Cool thanks everyone.

I was waiting for u Jimbo. I knew u ran loads of lights :P

I was expecting that John guy too. Front of his jeep looks like a spaceship
Mine's just a little shuttle !

JIMBO
__________________
"ya gotta have class"
JIMBOX is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-21-2011, 12:21 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
GroundHawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: northeast ohio
Posts: 2,274
Haha I know. You guys love lights :P

Thanks jcf. 100w will do. I just picked them up. They're 100w Daylighters.

One last question I guess...

Where did you guys mount the switch at?
GroundHawg is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-21-2011, 12:44 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
JIMBOX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 9,914
I can't help ya on that one GH-


Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundHawg View Post
Haha I know. You guys love lights :P

Thanks jcf. 100w will do. I just picked them up. They're 100w Daylighters.

One last question I guess...

Where did you guys mount the switch at?
For the first year I had everything on a left over racing 6-sw panel/w the relay panel in the engine comp.--

When I saw the sPOD system--I putitin- so failproof/harness'd/relay'd/fused and convenient/access, but

Cost was $465--

Good luck

JIMBO
__________________
"ya gotta have class"
JIMBOX is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-21-2011, 12:50 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
GroundHawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: northeast ohio
Posts: 2,274
Ok cool. Thanks Jimbo
GroundHawg is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-21-2011, 01:04 PM   #20
Hardcore Jeeper
 
Peepers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Windsor, CT
Posts: 3,320
I've made my own sPOD system. Its not pretty, its not in one handy dandy unit, but it gets the job done. If I had the money I might try it, but I'm a doit myself kinda guy.

A fuse block, relays, and a custom switch mount is all you need. I made a plate that goes where my ash tray was. It holds 8 switches.
__________________
What have we got?
We have one heavily armed Recreational Vehicle


ΣΧ
The Power Tech 6
Peepers is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-21-2011, 01:18 PM   #21
Jeeper
 
GroundHawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: northeast ohio
Posts: 2,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peepers
I've made my own sPOD system. Its not pretty, its not in one handy dandy unit, but it gets the job done. If I had the money I might try it, but I'm a doit myself kinda guy.

A fuse block, relays, and a custom switch mount is all you need. I made a plate that goes where my ash tray was. It holds 8 switches.
I was thinking either there, in front of the shifter, or on the dash between the vents. I don't know. I guess I better figure it out before I start drilling everything
GroundHawg is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-21-2011, 01:21 PM   #22
Hardcore Jeeper
 
Peepers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Windsor, CT
Posts: 3,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundHawg View Post
I was thinking either there, in front of the shifter, or on the dash between the vents. I don't know. I guess I better figure it out before I start drilling everything

I've also seen switches on the forward side of the center consol, next to the e-brake opening, by the top where it opens. If you have an aftermarket radio with a cd case holder under/over it you could drill holes into there and mount the switches there. I had 3 switches under my radio for two years before I went ligthing crazy.
__________________
What have we got?
We have one heavily armed Recreational Vehicle


ΣΧ
The Power Tech 6
Peepers is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-21-2011, 01:24 PM   #23
Jeeper
 
GroundHawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: northeast ohio
Posts: 2,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peepers

I've also seen switches on the forward side of the center consol, next to the e-brake opening, by the top where it opens. If you have an aftermarket radio with a cd case holder under/over it you could drill holes into there and mount the switches there. I had 3 switches under my radio for two years before I went ligthing crazy.
Yeah that's the area between the vents. I think I'll go there. Thanks
GroundHawg is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-22-2011, 12:38 AM   #24
jcf
Bludger

WF Supporting Member
 
jcf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Moab UT
Posts: 12,824
Send a message via Yahoo to jcf
I had an extra spot in the daystar panel where my locker switches are & got a spare switch for the lights to go in there, only thing is that particular rocker switch did not run the lights so had to revert back to the little cheap mouse type that came with the lights, you win some & you lose some I guess
jcf is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-23-2011, 02:51 PM   #25
Jeeper
 
GroundHawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: northeast ohio
Posts: 2,274
Ok so I finally got everything done last night. Mounting was easy. I used the pre-drilled holes in my bumper for a winch mount.



I didn't know where to put the fuse, and I didn't even think to ask u guys. I stuck it here on the battery. Let me know if this isn't going to work.





Quote:
Originally Posted by jcf
I had an extra spot in the daystar panel where my locker switches are & got a spare switch for the lights to go in there, only thing is that particular rocker switch did not run the lights so had to revert back to the little cheap mouse type that came with the lights, you win some & you lose some I guess
Sorry I didn't respond jcf. But I read that and thought it was a great idea. My JK is an X, so I've got these 2 buttons for the Rubicon electric lockers and sway bar that don't work. However, I broke the button trying to get it out, then cracked the dash. I blame you

I superglued that stuff back, and ultimately put my switch here....



I did like your idea the best though. I'm just not good enough to pull it off :P

Thank you everyone for the help.

GroundHawg is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lighting, interior lighting, please help. GKjeep YJ Tech Forum 4 03-15-2011 05:51 PM
Interior lighting! Skrats11111 Communications and Electronics 5 03-13-2010 11:21 PM
off road lighting??? jwells36 General Jeep Discussion 3 09-29-2009 12:43 PM
4 cylinder off road?? whiterice YJ General Discussion Forum 5 05-10-2006 06:45 PM



Download our Mobile App

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:07 AM.



Jeep, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC