Pentastar engine - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > General Jeep Discussions > General Jeep Discussion

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 04-27-2013, 02:54 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 25
Pentastar engine

I don't know too much about the new pentastar engine, but would a 2012 pentastar fit in the space of a 2010 3.6 stock?

TheIdiot is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-27-2013, 03:26 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
goodstrongbeer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 170
Nice name.

goodstrongbeer is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-27-2013, 05:16 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
Milspec1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodstrongbeer View Post
nice name.
+1
Milspec1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-27-2013, 07:24 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
derf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Aurora, CO
Posts: 1,376
It will fit. But it's easier to drop in a Hemi.
__________________
2012 JK - 3.6/NSG370/NP241/D30/D44 - Grimm Jeeper
1986 J10 - 360/700R4/NP208/D44HD/D60FF - Truck Norris

My gear ratio calculator
derf is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-29-2013, 02:14 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
It will fit. But it's easier to drop in a Hemi.
Don't want to pay for the gas......yet.....
TheIdiot is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-29-2013, 03:52 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
derf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Aurora, CO
Posts: 1,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIdiot View Post
Don't want to pay for the gas......yet.....
There isn't much difference in mileage between them. That is, if you go with a stock-ish 5.7. You won't get over 20 MPG with either of them.

Thing is, the hemi doesn't have to work as hard as the V6 to move the Jeep. And that makes as big a difference in mileage as engine size.

Since there is no kit to swap a 3.6 in place of a 3.8 you're talking about a ton of custom work to make it happen. There are kits to swap in a hemi in place of a 3.8 which saves you a ton of work and better performance without really sacrificing gas mileage.
__________________
2012 JK - 3.6/NSG370/NP241/D30/D44 - Grimm Jeeper
1986 J10 - 360/700R4/NP208/D44HD/D60FF - Truck Norris

My gear ratio calculator
derf is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-29-2013, 06:32 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
Lando25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Southern Minnesota
Posts: 1,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIdiot View Post
I don't know too much about the new pentastar engine, but would a 2012 pentastar fit in the space of a 2010 3.6 stock?
2010 would have the 3.8, the 3.6 is the Pentastar.
__________________
sic vis pacem para bellum
OlllllllO
Lando25 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-30-2013, 11:07 AM   #8
Jeeper
 
squirrel792's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: lexington
Posts: 60
I was getting 20- to 21 mpg with my 3.6l until i added the lift, 33" tires and about 250 lbs worth of bumper on the front. Now im ranging from 12 to 15 on a non- windy Oklahoma say
squirrel792 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-30-2013, 11:08 AM   #9
Jeeper
 
squirrel792's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: lexington
Posts: 60
Day i meant
squirrel792 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-30-2013, 01:00 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
joeuncool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 414
I figure you could but you would have to replace the transmission too. I don't believe the 3.8 and 3.6 share that same transmission. I would think the cost of this would be too high to make it worth while unless you can get a good deal on a used 3.6 from a recently totaled jeep. Are you going to do the work yourself? I could see it getting expensive for a used engine and transmission installed by a shop.

I am going to be one of "those" people and say that if you have a pile of money, a supercharger might be the way to go. Cost is around 5k, you do get a real nice boost in power. Makes a 3.8 very driveable around town and up hills.

Sell the jeep in about 5 years and get a good deal on a 3-4 year old JK with a 3.6. That is my plan. Actually I am hoping that around 2017-2018 there might be a diesel option to consider in the JK.

15k-20k for a hemi isn't worth it unless you are on the wealthier side and have a particular toy/project in mind.
__________________
I drive a JKUR. Everywhere I look I see places I want to drive up, over, or through.
joeuncool is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-30-2013, 02:14 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
Lando25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Southern Minnesota
Posts: 1,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeuncool View Post
I figure you could but you would have to replace the transmission too. I don't believe the 3.8 and 3.6 share that same transmission. I would think the cost of this would be too high to make it worth while unless you can get a good deal on a used 3.6 from a recently totaled jeep. Are you going to do the work yourself? I could see it getting expensive for a used engine and transmission installed by a shop.

I am going to be one of "those" people and say that if you have a pile of money, a supercharger might be the way to go. Cost is around 5k, you do get a real nice boost in power. Makes a 3.8 very driveable around town and up hills.

Sell the jeep in about 5 years and get a good deal on a 3-4 year old JK with a 3.6. That is my plan. Actually I am hoping that around 2017-2018 there might be a diesel option to consider in the JK.

15k-20k for a hemi isn't worth it unless you are on the wealthier side and have a particular toy/project in mind.
I believe they use the same NSG370 manual. Not sure about the auto, I do know that the 3.8 auto was the 42RLE
__________________
sic vis pacem para bellum
OlllllllO
Lando25 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-30-2013, 02:44 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
derf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Aurora, CO
Posts: 1,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lando25 View Post
I believe they use the same NSG370 manual. Not sure about the auto, I do know that the 3.8 auto was the 42RLE
The manual is the same. They switched to the W5A580 automatic when they went to the 3.6.
__________________
2012 JK - 3.6/NSG370/NP241/D30/D44 - Grimm Jeeper
1986 J10 - 360/700R4/NP208/D44HD/D60FF - Truck Norris

My gear ratio calculator
derf is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-30-2013, 08:48 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 25
Yeah, not made of money.......but totaling it out isnt a bad option either
TheIdiot is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-01-2013, 03:26 AM   #14
Jeeper
 
JKBrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 339
A Chevy 4.3 Vortec V6 will fit. Advance Adapters should have most of the parts to make it work. I would go the simple route with an early 90s TBI unit.

__________________
2013 Sport Commando Green
Prior Jeeps
1986 MJ Comanche 1988 YJ Sahara
2001 XJ Cherokee 2dr (still in the family)
Family Jeeps
2012 JK Cosmos Blue 2013 JK Rock Lobster
JKBrad is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:04 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC