Proper way to pull out? - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > General Jeep Discussions > General Jeep Discussion

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 01-19-2013, 02:18 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 539
Proper way to pull out?

No, this is not a your mom joke. My question is whats the proper way to pull some one out who is stuck? Do you pull them out in reverse or in drive. I have seen it done both ways and wondering which was is best and puts the least amount of stress on a Jeep. I looked everywhere and could not find any info on it. So i decided to ask you guys.

IWANNAOFFROAD is offline   Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:19 PM   #2
ESP
Jeeper
 
ESP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NC
Posts: 11,870
Your jeep facing/moving forward.

__________________
98 XJ 02 TJ 10 JK 13 JK

You do not have a soul, you are a soul.
You have a body. - C.S. Lewis
ESP is online now   Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:28 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP View Post
Your jeep facing/moving forward.
Gotchya thanks. Also other question. 4w-hi vs 4w-low? I know the difference between the too and I read many articles, but what I could never find is what put the least amount of stress on your trany? I have an auto and was wondering.
IWANNAOFFROAD is offline   Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:30 PM   #4
ESP
Jeeper
 
ESP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NC
Posts: 11,870
4L would be better for pulling out someone.
__________________
98 XJ 02 TJ 10 JK 13 JK

You do not have a soul, you are a soul.
You have a body. - C.S. Lewis
ESP is online now   Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:34 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP View Post
4L would be better for pulling out someone.
Ok cool. What about when your doing some offroading do you usually stay in 4hi or 4low or do you switch between the two?
IWANNAOFFROAD is offline   Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:37 PM   #6
ESP
Jeeper
 
ESP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NC
Posts: 11,870
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWANNAOFFROAD View Post
Ok cool. What about when your doing some offroading do you usually stay in 4hi or 4low or do you switch between the two?
It really depends on the type of terrain your on and whether or not your driving a manual tranny. Even then...it depends greatly on the type of terrain your on. 4L in 2nd and 1st gear on the trail saves a lot of unnecessary clutch use.
__________________
98 XJ 02 TJ 10 JK 13 JK

You do not have a soul, you are a soul.
You have a body. - C.S. Lewis
ESP is online now   Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:52 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP View Post
It really depends on the type of terrain your on and whether or not your driving a manual tranny. Even then...it depends greatly on the type of terrain your on. 4L in 2nd and 1st gear on the trail saves a lot of unnecessary clutch use.
I have an automatic though
IWANNAOFFROAD is offline   Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:57 PM   #8
ESP
Jeeper
 
ESP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NC
Posts: 11,870
No worries then about trail riding. Use 4L when appropriate i.e. steep hills, rocks, slow off camber situations. Use 4H for everything else.
__________________
98 XJ 02 TJ 10 JK 13 JK

You do not have a soul, you are a soul.
You have a body. - C.S. Lewis
ESP is online now   Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:03 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP View Post
No worries then about trail riding. Use 4L when appropriate i.e. steep hills, rocks, slow off camber situations. Use 4H for everything else.
Awesome, thanks. I wish more of the people on this forum would be more like you and not bust my balls every time I ask a question.
IWANNAOFFROAD is offline   Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:07 PM   #10
ESP
Jeeper
 
ESP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NC
Posts: 11,870
We are here to help brother. Ask always -
__________________
98 XJ 02 TJ 10 JK 13 JK

You do not have a soul, you are a soul.
You have a body. - C.S. Lewis
ESP is online now   Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:12 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
InvertChaos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NoVa
Posts: 8,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP View Post
No worries then about trail riding. Use 4L when appropriate i.e. steep hills, rocks, slow off camber situations. Use 4H for everything else.
X2

Use 4lo when you need to move really slow over a technical section or you need lots of torque to climb rocks. For sand, snow, or mud I think 4hi is more appropriate. For pulling someone out you want as much torque and traction as possible, so 4lo is nice because it triples or quadruples your torque depending on your tcase
__________________
|2004 Jeep TJ "Green Machine"|4.0L 5 speed Dana44|33x12.50x15 Goodyear Duratracs|2.5" OME HD coils + 1.25" body lift|OME NitroSport shocks|4.56 gears|Skid Row Engine Skid|BCC Sliders|Currie AntiRock|
InvertChaos is offline   Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:20 PM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 539
I really appreciate is guys. Ok I got another question for you guys. Now I know you should stay out of the water if at all possible, but if you do get air in the intake what are the steps you should do? Hopefully I would never be in this scenario because I walk it first and if its up to the the bumper than I don't go through it. I know some steps like drain the diffs and trany, because since it got in you air intake than its deep enough to get into the other things I mentioned. Iv'e heard you pull the plugs. But I don't know what they mean by that. Have you ever been in this situation?
IWANNAOFFROAD is offline   Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:25 PM   #13
Sponsoring Vendor
 
JPi4.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 850
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWANNAOFFROAD
I really appreciate is guys. Ok I got another question for you guys. Now I know you should stay out of the water if at all possible, but if you do get air in the intake what are the steps you should do? Hopefully I would never be in this scenario because I walk it first and if its up to the the bumper than I don't go through it. I know some steps like drain the diffs and trany, because since it got in you air intake than its deep enough to get into the other things I mentioned. Iv'e heard you pull the plugs. But I don't know what they mean by that. Have you ever been in this situation?
If you are sure water got in, remove the spark plugs and start cranking the engine over. Keep going until nothing is coming out of the spark plug hole. Put the plugs back in and fire it up.

Change the oil ASAP.
__________________
Jeeperformance, Inc
Yucaipa CA.
877-795-JEEP
https://www.facebook.com/Jeeperformanceinc http://www.jeeperformanceinc.com/
JPi4.0 is offline   Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:28 PM   #14
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPi4.0 View Post
If you are sure water got in, remove the spark plugs and start cranking the engine over. Keep going until nothing is coming out of the spark plug hole. Put the plugs back in and fire it up.

Change the oil ASAP.
Gotchya. I just wanted to know if it ever did happen I would know what to do. Would I take out all the spark plugs? Also would I have to buy new spark plugs?
IWANNAOFFROAD is offline   Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:32 PM   #15
Sponsoring Vendor
 
JPi4.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 850
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWANNAOFFROAD

Gotchya. I just wanted to know if it ever did happen I would know what to do. Would I take out all the spark plugs? Also would I have to buy new spark plugs?
Yes take out all the plugs at once. If you get the spark plugs to re fire then they are ok and personally I wouldn't change them.
__________________
Jeeperformance, Inc
Yucaipa CA.
877-795-JEEP
https://www.facebook.com/Jeeperformanceinc http://www.jeeperformanceinc.com/
JPi4.0 is offline   Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:34 PM   #16
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPi4.0 View Post
Yes take out all the plugs at once. If you get the spark plugs to re fire then they are ok and personally I wouldn't change them.
I never looks at my spark plugs in my 04 Jeep wrangler Tj. What to would I need to take them out?
IWANNAOFFROAD is offline   Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:40 PM   #17
Sponsoring Vendor
 
JPi4.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 850
We are talking about water in the intake right?
The only reason you are taking them out is to crank over the engine for the purpose of pumping the water out the spark plug holes.
You do this to prevent hydro lock.

If your jeep is running good there isn't a reason to take out your spark plugs other than scheduled maintenance.
__________________
Jeeperformance, Inc
Yucaipa CA.
877-795-JEEP
https://www.facebook.com/Jeeperformanceinc http://www.jeeperformanceinc.com/
JPi4.0 is offline   Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:45 PM   #18
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPi4.0 View Post
We are talking about water in the intake right?
The only reason you are taking them out is to crank over the engine for the purpose of pumping the water out the spark plug holes.
You do this to prevent hydro lock.

If your jeep is running good there isn't a reason to take out your spark plugs other than scheduled maintenance.
Hydro locking is when you get too much water in the intake right? What would you do with that? Or are you SOL?
IWANNAOFFROAD is offline   Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:49 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
DeepSouthJeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Baton Rouge
Posts: 1,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWANNAOFFROAD

Hydro locking is when you get too much water in the intake right? What would you do with that? Or are you SOL?
When an engine is hydro locked, it means water got in the intake and the engine wasn't shut off, so it ruined the engine. If it is hydro locked then yea your sol. Shut it off quick enough and you're ok
DeepSouthJeeper is offline   Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:10 PM   #20
Sponsoring Vendor
 
JPi4.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 850
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWANNAOFFROAD

Hydro locking is when you get too much water in the intake right? What would you do with that? Or are you SOL?
Hydro locked just means water got on top of the piston preventing compression and the engine can't rotate.

Pulling out the plugs lets the water escape the combustion chamber preventing damage to the engine.

Usually if an engine dies while in water if you tow it out and pull the plugs before you try and start it is ok. Not always and luck is involved.
__________________
Jeeperformance, Inc
Yucaipa CA.
877-795-JEEP
https://www.facebook.com/Jeeperformanceinc http://www.jeeperformanceinc.com/
JPi4.0 is offline   Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:28 PM   #21
Jeeper
 
Moe jk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 24
my dad tried to explain this to me when I was a kid! either he didn't explain it right out I didn't listen, I now have 3 kids myself so I won't even try to explain because I was taught wrong... rotfl...haha just kidding sorry to detail your thread..
Moe jk is online now   Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:27 PM   #22
Motorized toy collector

WF Supporting Member
 
TJDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Eastern WA State
Posts: 3,116
On the original question...I was told years ago by an old Jeeper to never pull someone out by using reverse. Hard on the R&P I think was said. If the stuck rig is in front of you, it's best to turn around and yank him out in a forward gear, or use your winch.
He also added if using the winch to pull someone out, never have it in park for auto trannys. Use your brakes so you don't risk breaking the parking lock pin.
Also nowadays, they have these nifty kinetic yanking straps that are much better for pulling someone out and easier on the equipment than a solid tow strap.
I have a Master Pull Superyanker that works awesome for yanking people out, or getting myself yanked out.
TJDave is online now   Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:19 PM   #23
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 539
Thanks guys. Also should I ever mess with 1st and 2nd when wheeling? I have an auto just fyi. I know on steep hills you should put the Jeep in 4W Low and put it in 1st to slow your decent. Is that only time I should use it?
IWANNAOFFROAD is offline   Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:43 AM   #24
Jeeper
 
djwrangler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 427
Yeah you can use 1st and 2nd 4lo to help slow hill descents. It can help give you smoother control instead of constantly stabbing the brakes and possibly locking them up causing a slide.
__________________
'93 YJ, 4.0, AX15, Aussie locked D30/open 8.8, 4.10s, 2.5 OME lift, 31s...
djwrangler is offline   Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:35 PM   #25
Jeeper
 
fattirewilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: C'ville Virginia
Posts: 433
15 years ago I hydro locked a V-6 Ranger crossing a creek faster than I should have (and following a Cherokee ironically). I had made it several time but just kept crossing it, going a little faster each time. Stupid things you do...

Threw the rod through the bottom of the engine but drove out off the creek and about a mile down the road, blowing smoke like you've never seen, til I parked it.

When I got out, oil/water hitting the ground sound like putting water drops in a hot frying pan. Engine cooled and locked up tight.

Cure = new engine
__________________
LS7 427, TCI 4L60E SSF, Atlas, Currie D44's, PCS module, Squier Inc. wiring, Zeon 10S, Vanco BBK, Warn Hubs, Mastercraft Baja RS w/ heat, OME lift, 32's, JCR Bumper/Carrier, Tom Woods CV, Viair 450C
fattirewilly is offline   Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:28 AM   #26
Jeeper
 
sparky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Phila
Posts: 2,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWANNAOFFROAD View Post
I never looks at my spark plugs in my 04 Jeep wrangler Tj. What to would I need to take them out?
Buy yourself a set of socket wrenches. They should come with a spark plug socket. Also included would be the extensions and a swivel adapter. That helps for the number 1 plug.
sparky is offline   Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:17 AM   #27
Jeeper
 
Dextreme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Oregon City, OR
Posts: 4,585
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPi4.0 View Post
Hydro locked just means water got on top of the piston preventing compression and the engine can't rotate.

Pulling out the plugs lets the water escape the combustion chamber preventing damage to the engine.

Usually if an engine dies while in water if you tow it out and pull the plugs before you try and start it is ok. Not always and luck is involved.
To add to this, if a motor is rev'ed (or you are on the throttle) and water comes in through the intake and hydrolocks the piston (water does not compress like air does), Then usually the piston rod will bend or break and sometime the piston itself will explode into pieces.

This is some random pic from the internet of a piston and rod that hydrolocked:
__________________
'99 Chili Pepper TJ Wrangler "Mistress"
33x12.5 DuraTracs
Zone 4.25"
Dextreme is offline   Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:15 AM   #28
Jeeper
 
Vici's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: BA, Oklahoma
Posts: 249
Well shoot I was here for the dirty jokes.....must be the wrong forum.
Vici is offline   Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:14 PM   #29
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: NY Metro Area
Posts: 20
LOL. I'm still getting over the fact they make Automatic Wranglers...
kiddevo is offline   Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:21 PM   #30
Jeeper
 
TXJKJEEPGIRL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: San Antonio, TEXAS
Posts: 587
Lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by vici View Post
well shoot i was here for the dirty jokes.....must be the wrong forum.

__________________
"Fire it up! Let's go get this thing stuck!"
TXJKJEEPGIRL is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:22 PM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2015 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC