The installation of vinyl lettering or decals can be achieved with little to no experience. There are just a few pasic tools required to achieve a proper installation. All you have to do is follow this step-by-step guide and you will be showing off your new decal or lettering in no time.
1. Without removing the paper backing, position decal on a clean dry surface exactly where you want it.
2. Once the decal is in position, place a piece of masking tape along the top edge to hold the decal in place as shown below.
*The decal should be sitting on your surface like a flap.
*You can cut vertical slits in between the letters all the way up to the tape to separate one or even a few letters at a time. This allows you to work with smaller hinged pieces. I prefer this method.
*You can even tape a guideline for curves and such. Then tape each letter separately and hinge them like that to get around curves and such. Be sure your spacing is perfect.
3. Lift up the decal (A) and remove the paper backing (B)as shown below.
4. With the backing paper completely removed from the decal and transfer tape, gently lower the decal with the transfer tape back down towards the mounting surface and rub it down lightly with your hand. Work your way from the center out towards each side. Do this from the tape down about a half inch at a time until you reach the bottom.
6. Take a squeegee or credit card and firmly rub the decal down to the mounting surface. The transfer tape should still be on the decal. This allows you to rub the decal down without scratching or damaging the decal.
7. Finally, peel off the transfer tape and masking tape gently. The decal will adhere to the surface much more aggressively than the transfer tape. The transfer tape should lift easily leaving behind no sticky residue.
8. Your decal installation is complete. If there are bubbles present under the decal that cannot be removed by working them to the edge, a small needle or pin can be used to puncture the bubble and remove the air. A small pin hole will not be seen after the air bubble has been worked out.
Now that your new vinyl decal is in place all that is left to do is to go out and show it off to all your friends.
Watch below for a video tutorial in which I will show this hinge application method done vertically and horizontally.