I am sad to announce thay my Jeep was jacked two days ago, right out of my driveway. I can admit that I am probably stupid for not installing an alarm on the thing because I recently put on a summer top less than a week ago, but what happened happened and I am here because I'm hoping that someone will be able to shed some light if they've ever been in a similar situation.
It was a 2009 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited. Had 65,000 kms, burnt orange in colour and came with XRC front and rear bumpers, 18" Mamba wheels, 35" Toyo Open Country MTs, 4" procomp lift kit and leather interior. I picked it up less than a year ago for $22,500 all in, private sale. Since then, I have added close to $5,000 in upgrades, which includes 35" Goodyear Duratrac ATs, an 8000 lbs Warn winch, HID headlights, NFab nerf bars, heated seats, and a Bestop summer top and tonneau cover. Last I checked it was close to 80,000 kms.
So my question is the following: I'm still paying off the financing for the vehicle, with about $15,000 left, so obviously full insurance coverage was mandatory, and theft will be covered. But how does all of that work?
- Do they go by the Blackbook, Kelley Bluebook or Edmunds average retail price of the vehicle or try to lowball me?
- Do I get compensated for all of the upgrades if I have either pictures or receipts? Or do they lower the prices for depreciation?
- Would coverage circumstances change if there was a hard top or a summer top on it?
- Are settlements negotiable or do I just take what they give me?
- Is there anything else I should know before going to see the claims department in a few days from now?
Much appreciation for any help that I get with this. And as a farewell, I'll leave you with a couple of pics, one when I bought it, and one from a few weeks ago. RIP