stock bumper not strong enough for winch ? - Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > General Jeep Discussions > General Jeep Discussion

Join Wrangler Forum Today



Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 03-04-2012, 08:50 AM   #1
Jeeper
 
PA . JAY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: GREENSBURG PA.
Posts: 146
PA . JAY is on a distinguished road
stock bumper not strong enough for winch ?

Is that why I never see a winch on one ?
PA . JAY is offline   Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:10 AM   #2
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
kbwwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 12,478
kbwwolf is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA . JAY View Post
Is that why I never see a winch on one ?
Lots of people put a winch on the stock bumper, both full-length and stubby. Just need to buy a mounting plate kit. Lots of different ones, from in-your-face big to almost completely hidden.

Two things: You'll most likely have to get a vacuum pump relocation bracket (for '12's), and you should check the front spring rates on your Jeep (info in the links below) to see how much sag you'll get adding a heavy winch to the front bumper. If your spring rates are, say, 13's, you'll get a good bit of sag; if they're 19's, not so much.

Also, consider a winch with synthetic cable, such as WARN's VR-series winches. Synthetic is lighter, and far less dangerous than wire cable, although it's easier to abrade on rocks and such.

Does a winch on stock bumper affect suspension or ride?
Winch Mount for Stock Bumper
Winch mount complete
winch on factory bumper?
Need help finding winch mount plate for stock bumper

And in the interests of one-stop shopping, some threads with winch info:

Synthetic rope vs. Steel cable
Massive Multi-Winch Shootout - Four Wheeler Magazine

__________________


"What we see depends mainly on what we look for."
—John Lubbock
kbwwolf is offline   Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:31 AM   #3
Jeeper
 
PA . JAY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: GREENSBURG PA.
Posts: 146
PA . JAY is on a distinguished road
thanks for help ! after level kit my front is 1/2 INCH higher I might just go with steel bumper for weight . MALL CRAWLER YA KNOW !
PA . JAY is offline   Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:12 AM   #4
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
kbwwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 12,478
kbwwolf is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA . JAY View Post
thanks for help ! after level kit my front is 1/2 INCH higher I might just go with steel bumper for weight . MALL CRAWLER YA KNOW !
Haha...nothing wrong with that. A steel bumper or a winch on the stock bumper (which would look MUCH better if you get a stubby kit, IMO) should level your Jeep out.
__________________


"What we see depends mainly on what we look for."
—John Lubbock
kbwwolf is offline   Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 02:13 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
PA . JAY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: GREENSBURG PA.
Posts: 146
PA . JAY is on a distinguished road
agree I see on in my future .
PA . JAY is offline   Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 02:51 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 183
junkmanted is on a distinguished road
Hey pa jay,, A guy in PA made this for me . Mounts to the frame .

He can put most any design you want on it .

If I did it again I think I would have put JEEP in the center with the AK's on the sides.


junkmanted is offline   Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:07 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
jgorm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,924
jgorm is on a distinguished road
If you buy a mounting plate the bumper really doesn't have anything to do with the strength of the winch because the plate mounts to the frame. I put a winch on my bumper and no issues so far. I can't justify spending $$$ on a bumper just to look cool when I could cut the stock one and have the same performance.
__________________
my 06 LJ rubicon
2.5" SL, 1" BL, DIY highline, 35s with double beadlocks.
jgorm is offline   Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:27 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
PA . JAY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: GREENSBURG PA.
Posts: 146
PA . JAY is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgorm View Post
If you buy a mounting plate the bumper really doesn't have anything to do with the strength of the winch because the plate mounts to the frame. I put a winch on my bumper and no issues so far. I can't justify spending $$$ on a bumper just to look cool when I could cut the stock one and have the same performance.
True that I just put the caps on my wish list Im going to try that way first .
PA . JAY is offline   Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:14 PM   #9
WF Moderator

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 50,256
kjeeper10 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA . JAY
thanks for help ! after level kit my front is 1/2 INCH higher I might just go with steel bumper for weight . MALL CRAWLER YA KNOW !
Lol... Mine is NOW only 1/4 higher in the front
kjeeper10 is offline   Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:39 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
PA . JAY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: GREENSBURG PA.
Posts: 146
PA . JAY is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjeeper10 View Post
Lol... Mine is NOW only 1/4 higher in the front
worst part is I can tell and it drives my crazy ! freakin OCD !
PA . JAY is offline   Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:16 PM   #11
WF Moderator

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 50,256
kjeeper10 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA . JAY

worst part is I can tell and it drives my crazy ! freakin OCD !
Dont know if you followed my ordeal.

Most people that have installed this lift or some others do see a bit more up front.
In my case 2"

I'm sure once the hardtop comes off, I will be level. But.... Def not worried about 1/4.
Not noticeable like before. It was bad
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2297269830.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	102303  
kjeeper10 is offline   Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:31 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
PA . JAY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: GREENSBURG PA.
Posts: 146
PA . JAY is on a distinguished road
i see + 1 inch spacer in rear ? i didnt need the sway bar links in the rear if i up another inch I guess I will ?
PA . JAY is offline   Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:33 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
PA . JAY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: GREENSBURG PA.
Posts: 146
PA . JAY is on a distinguished road
where you measuring from ? fender well ? im guessing thats with 2 inches up front picture
PA . JAY is offline   Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:45 PM   #14
WF Moderator

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 50,256
kjeeper10 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA . JAY
where you measuring from ? fender well ? im guessing thats with 2 inches up front picture
Yes... That's the before shot

TF's kit puts 3" front and 2" back.

Did not matter where I measured from.
Ground to flare or mid wheel to flare, I was
up almost 2" in the front. The spacers gave me back 1 1/4"

Check out my "need measurements" thread.

Edit : this one

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/nee...se-140221.html
kjeeper10 is offline   Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 02:56 PM   #15
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
willee51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: PEOPLES REPUBLIC of Forest, VA
Posts: 1,132
willee51 is on a distinguished road
Talking Well dond Wolfman............

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbwwolf View Post
Lots of people put a winch on the stock bumper, both full-length and stubby. Just need to buy a mounting plate kit. Lots of different ones, from in-your-face big to almost completely hidden.

Two things: You'll most likely have to get a vacuum pump relocation bracket (for '12's), and you should check the front spring rates on your Jeep (info in the links below) to see how much sag you'll get adding a heavy winch to the front bumper. If your spring rates are, say, 13's, you'll get a good bit of sag; if they're 19's, not so much.

Also, consider a winch with synthetic cable, such as WARN's VR-series winches. Synthetic is lighter, and far less dangerous than wire cable, although it's easier to abrade on rocks and such.

Does a winch on stock bumper affect suspension or ride?
Winch Mount for Stock Bumper
Winch mount complete
winch on factory bumper?
Need help finding winch mount plate for stock bumper

And in the interests of one-stop shopping, some threads with winch info:

Synthetic rope vs. Steel cable
Massive Multi-Winch Shootout - Four Wheeler Magazine
Kbwwolf I vote we make you the official “WF” librarian Everybody else agree
__________________
2012 (on the road again)
willee51 is offline   Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 04:09 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
cavsvet74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Naperville
Posts: 1,287
cavsvet74 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by willee51 View Post
Kbwwolf I vote we make you the official “WF” librarian Everybody else agree
Agreed.

However, I don't want to see him wearing reading glasses and a plaid skirt.
__________________
Determination: the feeling you get right before you do something incredibly stupid.
cavsvet74 is offline   Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 04:13 PM   #17
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
kbwwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 12,478
kbwwolf is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsvet74 View Post
Agreed.

However, I don't want to see him wearing reading glasses and a plaid skirt.
Yikes! I don't wanna see that either.

__________________


"What we see depends mainly on what we look for."
—John Lubbock
kbwwolf is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I want to start a thread about what jeep lovers do for living wbrett1027 General Jeep Discussion 3665 05-31-2016 03:47 AM
Rear Bumper using Factory Tow Smyln JK General Discussion Forum 5 03-05-2012 04:10 PM
New to forum, not to Wranglers BigBadBlue10 WF New Member Check In 10 03-05-2012 04:31 AM
Switch stock 16 to stock 18 Driz789 Tires & Wheels 7 03-04-2012 07:20 PM
Free Winch Cable AZduck Arizona Jeep Forum 0 03-04-2012 12:16 AM



Download our Mobile App

» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:53 AM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC