Talk me out of it! - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > General Jeep Discussions > General Jeep Discussion

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 07-10-2013, 12:54 PM   #1
Newb
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Yucaipa
Posts: 10
Talk me out of it!

Hey guy and gals, new to the site and the world of jeeps and I want you to talk me out if something. Lots of words, but short story is at the bottom.

First off, I have loved the four door wranglers since they have come out and wanted to buy one. Recently, I have decided to buy a used one, since they are significantly cheaper than new and it is what I can afford.

Anywho, back to the original piece. I keep scouring the internet and lots for a 4 door, 4x4, manual trans, with absolutely no luck. So I decided automatic is fine(if i have to). Now, I can't find a 4x4(in my price range)! Who in their right mind would think that would be difficult? I keep thinking of just buckling down and getting the 2x4, because they are significantly cheaper.

I am looking to finance 20k out the door, that is at the most, I want to spend more like 18-19k. I found a low dollar 4x2 for 16k and another one with power windows and whatnot for 17k. Found pretty much what I am looking for for 22k (2008 4x4 manual trans). I am trying to keep my payment at pretty close to $300/mo, which is why I set my range at that.

I do not necessarily NEED 4x4, but I don't really need a jeep either. I plan on daily driving it and camping and minor off-roading, but I want the capability of going in snow and the like.

TLDR: Cannot find the 4x4 in my price range, keep finding 2wd. Do not need 4x4, just want it. Not looking to spend a fortune on a used truck.

What do you guys think? Should I save up more for a down paymeny(have $1000 now with great cosigner)? Should I just buckle and get the 2wd?

AFiendishThingy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-10-2013, 01:01 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
DFW6ER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: FloMo
Posts: 847
Save more money and get the 4WD Wrangler.

__________________
2012 Black JKUR...stock for now
DFW6ER is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-10-2013, 01:09 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
JACK3D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Out in God's country
Posts: 541
In my opinion, you will greatly regret buying a 2WD Jeep. Do you have to have 4 doors? Why not spend the 17K on a very nice 2 door. You could find a Rubi, or Sahara in that price range.. I would never want a 2WD Jeep.. EVER

Come to think of it, I didn't even know that a 2WD Jeep was an option..
JACK3D is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-10-2013, 01:10 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
Wade88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 124
There is no way I'd get a 4x2. Many reasons, but mainly resell value. There is a reason they are cheaper. Just my opinion
Wade88 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-10-2013, 01:11 PM   #5
Newb
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Yucaipa
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW6ER View Post
Save more money and get the 4WD Wrangler.
Short sweet and to the point, I like that. That's what I was thinking, I am just in the excited phase where I just want it right now. Since the short amount of time I have posted, I broadened my search to farther and have actually found better deals! Crazy what an extra 50 miles of travel can find. I think I will attempt to save a few more dollars and just get exactly what I want for the payment I want, but no promises are being made. If I find something I for sure want, I might jump on it.
AFiendishThingy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-10-2013, 01:13 PM   #6
Newb
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Yucaipa
Posts: 10
One more thing, what price difference should I see between hard tops and soft tops? Which is better in your experience?

Found this:
http://tinyurl.com/k42lkol
aaaaand this:
http://tinyurl.com/mjsu3vb

Thoughts?
AFiendishThingy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-10-2013, 01:36 PM   #7
Newb
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Yucaipa
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JACK3D View Post
In my opinion, you will greatly regret buying a 2WD Jeep. Do you have to have 4 doors? Why not spend the 17K on a very nice 2 door. You could find a Rubi, or Sahara in that price range.. I would never want a 2WD Jeep.. EVER

Come to think of it, I didn't even know that a 2WD Jeep was an option..
haha, right. I usually think of 2wd jeeps as freaks of nature, but I think I was/am excited about getting something. I don't need the extra doors, I just want them for when I go camping and hauling people. I read a thread on here about camping inside it with an air mattress and thought that would be awesome(i know camp outside or in a tent yada, yada, yada, to each their own).
AFiendishThingy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-10-2013, 01:56 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
DFW6ER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: FloMo
Posts: 847
Hard tops add a bit more security...whether that's perceived or real is up for debate in several threads on this forum. Also Hard tops are a tad quieter and warmer than soft tops in the winter. OTOH, they are heavy/awkward to remove unless you have a hoist. I've got a hard top and only use it when it's too cold to run topless or when rain is in the forecast or when it's over 105F (so I can run the AC).
__________________
2012 Black JKUR...stock for now
DFW6ER is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-10-2013, 02:07 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
JACK3D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Out in God's country
Posts: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFiendishThingy View Post
haha, right. I usually think of 2wd jeeps as freaks of nature, but I think I was/am excited about getting something. I don't need the extra doors, I just want them for when I go camping and hauling people. I read a thread on here about camping inside it with an air mattress and thought that would be awesome(i know camp outside or in a tent yada, yada, yada, to each their own).
You don't need 4 doors for camping.. I have one of these.. I open the tailgate and unzip and roll up the back window.. and you have an inside/outside the Jeep tent.. They are great. Mine was supposedly made for a Jeep Liberty, but it works with my YJ.
JACK3D is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-10-2013, 02:08 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
Owen_TJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 4,064
I'm with jack3d...why not look toward the 2 door and get a nice one for that price??

Then again, i dislike 4 doors so my opinion is kind of biased...
Owen_TJ is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-10-2013, 02:10 PM   #11
Newb
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Yucaipa
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW6ER View Post
Hard tops add a bit more security...whether that's perceived or real is up for debate in several threads on this forum. Also Hard tops are a tad quieter and warmer than soft tops in the winter. OTOH, they are heavy/awkward to remove unless you have a hoist. I've got a hard top and only use it when it's too cold to run topless or when rain is in the forecast or when it's over 105F (so I can run the AC).
My current car is a 71' beetle, so A/C? What is that? haha. With that considered, road noise, heat, and safety i guess are not news to me. Anything is a step up. And as for the cold, as long as the heater works, I actually like driving with the windows down and the heater up on cold days.
AFiendishThingy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-10-2013, 02:13 PM   #12
Newb
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Yucaipa
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen_TJ View Post
I'm with jack3d...why not look toward the 2 door and get a nice one for that price??

Then again, i dislike 4 doors so my opinion is kind of biased...

I have seen those tents and considered it, but honestly I have only had small vehicles and could not take anyone with me (s10, beetle, motorcycle). I want the option of just loading my friends and our gear and going mountain biking or just having the option of sleeping in my car without taking the tent. Don't get me wrong, I like 2 doors as much as anybody else, but in this instance, I want me 4 doors
AFiendishThingy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-10-2013, 02:15 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
JACK3D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Out in God's country
Posts: 541
The tent in the first pic i put up was not mine.. It was from a friend of mine.. I deleted that pic, and posted one of my tent, when i remembered i had a picture of it.

I bout it from a guy on craigslist for $100. The tent I have is much larger than the one in the first pic. Not too bulky when rolled and packed either.
JACK3D is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-10-2013, 02:17 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
JACK3D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Out in God's country
Posts: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFiendishThingy View Post
I have seen those tents and considered it, but honestly I have only had small vehicles and could not take anyone with me (s10, beetle, motorcycle). I want the option of just loading my friends and our gear and going mountain biking or just having the option of sleeping in my car without taking the tent. Don't get me wrong, I like 2 doors as much as anybody else, but in this instance, I want me 4 doors
There isn't anything wrong with the 4 doors.. I like them, they are sharp when done up right.. The new 2 doors are pretty roomy. Not like the 4 doors, but they have much more room than my YJ did. Before I removed the back seat.
JACK3D is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-10-2013, 02:17 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
Duke-TJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 383
CarMax has a few 4 door 4wd in your range in my area. Maybe worth a look where you are.
Duke-TJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-10-2013, 02:17 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
jquinn83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Maryland
Posts: 434
The heater in a Jeep on full blast will eventually drive you out of the Jeep if you don't turn it down, the type of top is irrelevant.
jquinn83 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-10-2013, 02:35 PM   #17
Newb
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Yucaipa
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke-TJ View Post
CarMax has a few 4 door 4wd in your range in my area. Maybe worth a look where you are.
In my area they have close to nothing. I actually found some in autotrader, just a tad farther than I was originally looking, but worth the drive! I posted a couple I was looking at earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jquinn83 View Post
The heater in a Jeep on full blast will eventually drive you out of the Jeep if you don't turn it down, the type of top is irrelevant.
Oh, of course, I wasn't too worried about that. Mainly just looking for differences regarding price in the two.
AFiendishThingy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-10-2013, 03:03 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
4WDGroceryGetter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Southcentral PA
Posts: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFiendishThingy View Post
One more thing, what price difference should I see between hard tops and soft tops? Which is better in your experience?

Found this:
*
aaaaand this:
*

Thoughts?
Is the silver one an X model with Rubicon stickers?
It appears you live in Cali. If so, I would opt for the soft top over the hardtop any day!
Our hardtop will only go on for snow.
4WDGroceryGetter is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-10-2013, 03:14 PM   #19
Newb
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Yucaipa
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WDGroceryGetter View Post
Is the silver one an X model with Rubicon stickers?
It appears you live in Cali. If so, I would opt for the soft top over the hardtop any day!
Our hardtop will only go on for snow.
I wouldn't be able to tell you, I really don't know the difference.
I live in S. California, about an hour and a half East of L.A., Depending on traffic.
AFiendishThingy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-10-2013, 03:24 PM   #20
Jeeper
 
4WDGroceryGetter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Southcentral PA
Posts: 42
8,819 miles on a 2008 seems extremely hard to believe. Plus I am sure that is an X with Rubicon stickers on the hood. A bit misleading perhaps????
I'm sure someone in here is more educated than I on the matter.
4WDGroceryGetter is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-10-2013, 03:56 PM   #21
Newb
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Yucaipa
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WDGroceryGetter View Post
8,819 miles on a 2008 seems extremely hard to believe. Plus I am sure that is an X with Rubicon stickers on the hood. A bit misleading perhaps????
I'm sure someone in here is more educated than I on the matter.
I am thinking they forgot to put another 8 in front. Haven't called them yet, because I am at work. Hey, as long as the title is clean and it has what I want, I really don't care what it says because it is coming off anyway.
AFiendishThingy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-10-2013, 04:06 PM   #22
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Great White North
Posts: 260
If they say they are out of country and want you to pay through PayPal it's a scam. Any deal that sounds too good and they don't want to meet in person is probably a scam.
WorkingMan is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-10-2013, 04:07 PM   #23
Newb
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Yucaipa
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkingMan View Post
If they say they are out of country and want you to pay through PayPal it's a scam. Any deal that sounds too good and they don't want to meet in person is probably a scam.

I know, I am only going through dealerships. The links I put up are from auto trader and to dealer websites. Thanks though!
AFiendishThingy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-10-2013, 08:24 PM   #24
Jeeper
 
Chilly03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 469
A 4X2 Jeep is a sin... period!!!
__________________
03 Wrangler 2" BB 31's
95 Cherokee sport 2dr. lifted 31's

(OIIIIIIIO)
Chilly03 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-10-2013, 10:27 PM   #25
Jeeper
 
JKBrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 339
Hold out for what you want or you'll regret the Jeep soon after you buy it. Search a larger area. If you find a seller who takes tons of pics and communicates well, it may be worth a road trip or flight to get it. Don't settle.
__________________
2013 Sport Commando Green
Prior Jeeps
1986 MJ Comanche 1988 YJ Sahara
2001 XJ Cherokee 2dr (still in the family)
Family Jeeps
2012 JK Cosmos Blue 2013 JK Rock Lobster
JKBrad is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-21-2013, 04:54 PM   #26
Jeeper
 
NYJETS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: FLORI-DUH
Posts: 409
4 x 2 Jeep should be a crime to make/own...
NYJETS is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-21-2013, 06:39 PM   #27
Jeeper
 
TylerU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Salt Lake
Posts: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFiendishThingy View Post

I wouldn't be able to tell you, I really don't know the difference.
I live in S. California, about an hour and a half East of L.A., Depending on traffic.
You live in Cali and you complain about no jeep deals? Go to Utah then... I have to either drive to Denver or Phoenix to find them.

TylerU is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Tags
2wd , 4x4 , camping , performance , wrangler

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:50 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC