Vibrations (Not the good ones) - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > General Tech Forums > General Jeep Discussion

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 06-18-2012, 02:02 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
RedWranglerMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Fabius, NY
Posts: 24
Vibrations (Not the good ones)

A few weeks ago i removed my transfer case drop bars and linkage bracketry. I have a Rugged Ridge SYE kit along with Rough Country adjustable upper control arms. I also picked up an angle finder. Adjusted the upper arms so that when placing the angle finder on the rear axle yoke and then on the driveshaft yield me the same number. That number was 18 degrees. However since i have done that ive picked up a vibration above 40 MPH. It is a rotational vibration; almost like feeling it then it stops for a few seconds then repeats, not a continuous vibration. Anyone else had this issue? Lower arms are fixed Rough Country's for the 4'' kit. Jeep is lifted 4'' total. Thanks for the advice.

__________________
1997 Wrangler SE Flame Red. 2.5L, 5-speed.
HD Front Bumper Fabbed' In PA, HD Tie-Rod Link.
Rugged Ridge SYE Kit W/Custom Driveshaft.
4'' Rough Country Lift, Rear Upper Adj. Control Arms.
35'' Mud Rovers on Eccos
RedWranglerMike is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-18-2012, 03:03 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Someplace in Africa
Posts: 3,288
i know on my JK that you want a degree difference of 1-2 and not the same.

totally different animals but i wanted to throw that out there.

pluke the 2 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-18-2012, 03:13 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
RedWranglerMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Fabius, NY
Posts: 24
Actually if you look at the stu olsen jeep site he says you want the difference to be 1 degree between the two. That compensates for putting the power down as the axle witll want to rotate thus putting the driveshaft right inline with the yoke. But he also said dead on is acceptable. Im getting worried because my rear axle looks tipped pretty good at dead on. Want the lube to be able to get to the pinion bearing assembly. Its now started leaking out of the rubber drain plug since ive tipped it so much. But man do i absolutely love the clearance and look of not seeing the drop bars there. It also puts the shifter back in the stock location so you can fit a drink in the front cup holder without nailing your fingers on it while shifting into 2nd. Maybe i will try tipping it a tad more sometime.
__________________
1997 Wrangler SE Flame Red. 2.5L, 5-speed.
HD Front Bumper Fabbed' In PA, HD Tie-Rod Link.
Rugged Ridge SYE Kit W/Custom Driveshaft.
4'' Rough Country Lift, Rear Upper Adj. Control Arms.
35'' Mud Rovers on Eccos
RedWranglerMike is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-18-2012, 03:14 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Someplace in Africa
Posts: 3,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWranglerMike View Post
Actually if you look at the stu olsen jeep site he says you want the difference to be 1 degree between the two. That compensates for putting the power down as the axle witll want to rotate thus putting the driveshaft right inline with the yoke. But he also said dead on is acceptable. Im getting worried because my rear axle looks tipped pretty good at dead on. Want the lube to be able to get to the pinion bearing assembly. Its now started leaking out of the rubber drain plug since ive tipped it so much. But man do i absolutely love the clearance and look of not seeing the drop bars there. It also puts the shifter back in the stock location so you can fit a drink in the front cup holder without nailing your fingers on it while shifting into 2nd. Maybe i will try tipping it a tad more sometime.
interesting! have you ruled out that it isn't your front shaft causing vibs?

also, i know on my rear drive shaft, (coast driveline)that there are specific little slots where my u-joint is located and if they don't mesh properly, it would for sure have caused vibrations...
pluke the 2 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-19-2012, 07:30 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
RedWranglerMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Fabius, NY
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluke the 2 View Post
interesting! have you ruled out that it isn't your front shaft causing vibs?

also, i know on my rear drive shaft, (coast driveline)that there are specific little slots where my u-joint is located and if they don't mesh properly, it would for sure have caused vibrations...
No i havent ruled out the front. Figured since it was in 2 wheel drive the front doesnt spin?
__________________
1997 Wrangler SE Flame Red. 2.5L, 5-speed.
HD Front Bumper Fabbed' In PA, HD Tie-Rod Link.
Rugged Ridge SYE Kit W/Custom Driveshaft.
4'' Rough Country Lift, Rear Upper Adj. Control Arms.
35'' Mud Rovers on Eccos
RedWranglerMike is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-19-2012, 07:39 AM   #6
Jeeper
 
rbloodhound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Crowville Louisiana
Posts: 450
The front spins in 2wd. The only way it wouldn't is if to had lock out hubs.

What if you engage 4x4? Will it go away?
__________________
Robert
05 TJ unlimited, Slightly Modified
http://s183.photobucket.com/home/aaoffroad/index
rbloodhound is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-19-2012, 07:39 AM   #7
Upside-down Disorder
 
InvertChaos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NoVa
Posts: 7,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWranglerMike

No i havent ruled out the front. Figured since it was in 2 wheel drive the front doesnt spin?
The front always spins since the front hubs don't unlock. So when the front tires spin, so does the driveshaft. Its just disconnected at the tcase.

__________________
|2004 Jeep TJ "Green Machine"|4.0L 5 speed Dana44|33x12.50x15 Goodyear Duratracs|2.5" RC coils + 1.25" body lift|OME NitroSport shocks|4.56 gears|Skid Row Engine Skid|BCC Sliders|Currie AntiRock|
InvertChaos is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



logo carid shop wrangler parts carid fender flares custom wheels store avs deflectors at carid
» Rates
Get low rates on auto insurance in Canada!

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:08 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC