Wheel and tire size change - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > General Jeep Discussions > General Jeep Discussion

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 03-21-2013, 07:42 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
Nxkharra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 38
Wheel and tire size change

All, please advise. Can I change my 16" wheel/tires on my 2009 JK to 17" wheels/tires?

Nxkharra is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-23-2013, 12:58 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
8figgas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Jersey Shore<> Rausch Creek
Posts: 309
Of course... Stock 17" are 255/75r17. Is there gonna be a lift involved?

__________________
I Stay clear of Posers, Puddle Jumpers & Catalog Cruisers!
8figgas is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-23-2013, 05:45 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
Nxkharra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 38
No lifts simple exchange of 16" wheels and tires to 17". I have heard all stuff about the odometer not working properly and other stuff. Will the spare fit in the back?
I have found these tires on the forum for sale and just want to make sure.
Could you please elaborate what happens when you go to hire size. I am novice in this.
Nxkharra is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-25-2013, 08:36 AM   #4
Jeeper
 
Nxkharra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 38
The mechanic is telling me that since i have automatic transmission, I should not go up on the tire/wheel size as it will ruin the transmission???
Any help in this area??
Nxkharra is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-25-2013, 08:48 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
cavsvet74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Naperville
Posts: 1,277
Images: 5
There is no difference in the automatic transmission in the Sport with 16" wheels, the Rubicon with 17" wheels and the Sahara with 18" wheels.

The mechanic is an idiot in my opinion.
__________________
Determination: the feeling you get right before you do something incredibly stupid.
cavsvet74 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-25-2013, 08:56 AM   #6
Jeeper
 
cavsvet74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Naperville
Posts: 1,277
Images: 5
You will need to have the speedometer adjusted though. The taller tires will make it read inaccurately.

According to the Discount Tire calculator, if you switch to the 255-75-17 tires from the 225-75-16s, if your speedometer reads 65 you are actually doing 71.
__________________
Determination: the feeling you get right before you do something incredibly stupid.
cavsvet74 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-25-2013, 09:26 AM   #7
Jeeper
 
Steeljag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Central Fl.
Posts: 507
I went from 225/75/16 to 265/75/16 and by use of GPS I am off 6 mph at 55 mph. (Speedo shows 55 mph - GPS shows 61 mph.)
__________________
2014 Jeep Wrangler JKR
Copper Canyon
Yeah,I gotta change the Pic
Love the Rubicon, but already miss the TJ.
Steeljag is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-25-2013, 08:19 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
Nxkharra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsvet74 View Post
You will need to have the speedometer adjusted though. The taller tires will make it read inaccurately.

According to the Discount Tire calculator, if you switch to the 255-75-17 tires from the 225-75-16s, if your speedometer reads 65 you are actually doing 71.
Thanks. Your comment on transmission make sense. I am OK with speedometer showing different as I have GPS that shows speed. Anything else i should be concerned about?
Nxkharra is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-26-2013, 11:52 AM   #9
Jeeper
 
CoreyZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,895
id still get the ECU adjusted for the tire size... even though you are fine with having GPS speedo, its not accurate and updated fast enough and your mileage is still going to be off (meaning you will have higher miles registered than you actually do). The pro-cals you can usually find cheap online or on craigslist so no reason to never get one, especially if you plan on doing something later.

Also, the mechanic may not be an idiot, but he may not have explained enough or correctly. With an auto transmission, the shift points will need to be adjusted with larger tires. Not really *need* but should. Procal's help with that too (so really is a good investment).
CoreyZ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-26-2013, 12:48 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
Nxkharra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyZ View Post
id still get the ECU adjusted for the tire size... even though you are fine with having GPS speedo, its not accurate and updated fast enough and your mileage is still going to be off (meaning you will have higher miles registered than you actually do). The pro-cals you can usually find cheap online or on craigslist so no reason to never get one, especially if you plan on doing something later.

Also, the mechanic may not be an idiot, but he may not have explained enough or correctly. With an auto transmission, the shift points will need to be adjusted with larger tires. Not really *need* but should. Procal's help with that too (so really is a good investment).
THANK you for clarification. Is pro-cal a piece of hardware? How do i get it? Can I ask my mechanic to do this? Should I do this? Thanks again for all the good info.
Btw, i am buying the bigger tires tomorrow and will install them based on what you said.
Nxkharra is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-26-2013, 04:07 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
Nxkharra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nxkharra View Post

THANK you for clarification. Is pro-cal a piece of hardware? How do i get it? Can I ask my mechanic to do this? Should I do this? Thanks again for all the good info.
Btw, i am buying the bigger tires tomorrow and will install them based on what you said.
I found it...and now know what is this all about. I can do this.

Nxkharra is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:19 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC